|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 37, A Visit to England.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
(a) The slave fathers a child with Mrs. Flint.
(b) The slave spits at Dr. Flint.
(c) The slave steals food from Dr. Flint's daughter.
(d) The slave suspects Dr. Flint is the father of his wife's child.
2. Which of the following terms best describes good, kind slaveholders?
(c) Do not exist.
(d) All slaveholders are good and kind.
3. On what mode of transportation does Linda continue her journey to New York?
(a) By train.
(b) By carriage.
(c) By boat.
(d) By foot.
4. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
(a) They are told that the Northern states have slavery too.
(b) They are told that it is bliss.
(c) They are told that they will freeze to death if they flee North.
(d) They are told that it is more difficult and unpleasant than their current lives in slavery.
5. What event happens during Linda's first night in the big city that makes her aware of the differences between life in the North versus life in the South?
(a) Linda awakes to the sounds of carriages in the street.
(b) Linda awakes to the sounds of singing in the streets.
(c) Linda awakes to the sounds of a fire and is shocked to see that no one else wakes to help out.
(d) Linda awakes to the sounds of a mother crying in the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
2. Who informs Linda that her children have been sold?
3. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
4. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
5. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)