|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the old woman go down to the landlord's house?
2. What happens to Ma at the end of Chapter 10?
3. What is considered by the white man to be the best of Africa's produce?
4. What happens to Bob after he tells his parents "they comin'"?
5. Why does the shoemaker begin to cry in front of his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the head teacher whip the boy with such vehemence in Chapter 3? Is this action within his nature and true to his character? How does he feel after the whipping? Is there any remorse on his part?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, the author writes about his observations of birds. What are his observations of blackbirds and sparrows as compared with doves? What do the different birds symbolize? Why does he use these particular birds?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, the schoolmaster is deciding what to do about the photos he believes belong to Mr. Slime. What different scenarios and outcomes go through his mind? Are they legitimate?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)