|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the sea different on the other side of the lighthouse?
2. What does G.'s mother do every Sunday when he walks past the corner on his way to Sunday school?
3. Through what means does the author convey to the reader that Mr. Slime is no longer a schoolteacher?
4. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 3?
5. What does the old man say Mr. Slime is telling the people they should own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Ma as she tries to wake Pa up from his sleep talking?
2. At the end of Chapter 2, Miss Foster tells her story of meeting with the landlord. How does she feel about this meeting?
3. What is the relationship like between the villagers and the overseer?
4. What technique does Bob use to get G. out of a beating in Chapter 2? How can this be related to the way black people in Barbados are treated?
5. Whom does Ma think Pa sounds like when he is talking in his sleep?
6. While G.'s friends Trumper and Boy Blue are excited and proud about G. going to high school, how does G.'s mother feel about it?
7. Describe the first assistant who makes high school tolerable for G.
8. When Boy Blue tells Trumper and G. that Mr. Slimes says that in America you can get all you want to eat and you don't have to cook it yourself, how do they react?
9. When Bob tells G. that he wants to take different routes to the sea, he tells him not to run so that they can decide which route is really the quickest. When G. hesitates and then runs after Bob, what does their ultimate interaction represent?
10. What is the head teacher trying to discover as he listens to Pa's reactions to what he has been told in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When G. attends high school, he must continue to live in the village. How did living in the village make it seem that he is living between two different worlds? What are the differences between the two worlds?
Essay Topic 2
By using the dialogue of Ma and Pa in Chapter 4, the author has given the reader information pertinent to the story. What does the reader learn? How does this information help the reader?
Essay Topic 3
When the villagers learn that there is fighting going on in the city, they cannot get any further information except that the fighting will spread to them.
How must this have made them feel? Explain each major character's emotions during this tense time.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)