|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the head teacher do when a student laughs during his presentation about pennies given on Empire Day?
2. On his walk toward the sea, what does G. realize about the corner when he stops there to say hello to Bob?
3. What magical words is Bob supposed to say just before a large wave touches his toes?
4. Who keeps the overseer from disturbing the preacher's conversion of sinners?
5. Where is the drinking water for the house kept?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways do the village overseers protect the villagers?
2. What is Pa's general take on the way things are in the village concerning Mr. Slime?
3. What does G. remember about his family origins?
4. At the end of Chapter 2, Miss Foster tells her story of meeting with the landlord. How does she feel about this meeting?
5. What are G.'s feelings about his identity in Barbados?
6. In the beginning of Chapter 6, G. sees birds such as blackbirds, sparrows and doves. Which birds does he note are the most common victims of the human's traps? How are they compared to the doves?
7. What changes have people made in the village by Chapter 12 that Ma, according to Pa, would not have believed?
8. Why does G. want to leave the nice pebble he found on the beach where he can find it once again?
9. When Mr. Foster tells the villagers that the fighting in the city has something to do with the landlord, how do they react?
10. The shoemaker makes a little speech in Chapter 5 to the men he is standing with as they watch the villagers buy food from the cart. What is the point of his speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do the villagers see their own people as their enemies? How is this true in some cultures? Give concrete examples from the book illustrating this.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the overseers and the villagers. Include actions and beliefs of both groups.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, G. is watching clouds as he walks toward the sea. He sees different figures and scenes in the clouds. What do these "scenes" G. sees represent or symbolize? Be specific.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)