|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his walk toward the sea, what does G. realize about the corner when he stops there to say hello to Bob?
2. What author makes the shoemaker begin to think about colonial governors?
3. Whom do Mr. Foster and the overseer's brother ask for an opinion about Mr. Slime?
4. Why do the landlords travel from road to road throughout the village in Chapter 2?
5. What is intimated will happen to the two women who go off with the constable after their fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main thing that Trumper has learned in America that has changed his life?
2. What technique does Bob use to get G. out of a beating in Chapter 2? How can this be related to the way black people in Barbados are treated?
3. When Trumper, Boy Blue and G. sneak onto the landlord's property to watch sailors and women dancing, what feelings are going through the boys' minds when the couple walk out onto the garden path to be alone?
4. Why is G.'s mother acting so annoyed with him on his last night at home?
5. What is Pa's general take on the way things are in the village concerning Mr. Slime?
6. There are people known as "poor whites" on the island. What is their lot in life?
7. What has given both G. and his mother some anxiety and confidence about how things will be in Trinidad for G.?
8. At the end of Chapter 2, Miss Foster tells her story of meeting with the landlord. How does she feel about this meeting?
9. Why is it that Ma doesn't believe that Pa should be comparing Mr. Slime to Moses?
10. Whom does Ma think Pa sounds like when he is talking in his sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, the schoolmaster is deciding what to do about the photos he believes belong to Mr. Slime. What different scenarios and outcomes go through his mind? Are they legitimate?
Essay Topic 2
When the villagers learn that there is fighting going on in the city, they cannot get any further information except that the fighting will spread to them.
How must this have made them feel? Explain each major character's emotions during this tense time.
Essay Topic 3
What are G.'s feeling about the pebble in Chapter 11? Can these feelings be related to anything or anywhere else in the book? Who or where and why?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)