|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. G.'s mother hits him with a broken branch after the fence comes down. Why?
2. What is in the envelope that the head teacher receives from a boy?
3. Which of the three boys in Chapter 7 end up being converted by the preacher?
4. What country does Boy Blue say Mr. Slime calls the bread basket of the world?
5. To whom does the old man in Chapter 4 compare Mr. Slime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the landlord say he may sell the land?
2. G. sees things in the night that disturb him. What does he see?
3. How does the schoolmaster looking a schoolboy in the eye make the boy feel as if he had done something wrong?
4. Why does one villager say, after reading the paper on the lamp post, that they must go and see Mr. Slime?
5. While G.'s friends Trumper and Boy Blue are excited and proud about G. going to high school, how does G.'s mother feel about it?
6. Why does G. want to leave the nice pebble he found on the beach where he can find it once again?
7. What is Pa talking about in his sleep when he brings up the words "silver" and "Africa"?
8. The schoolboys discuss the possible nonexistence of the king of England. Why?
9. What are G.'s feelings about his identity in Barbados?
10. After the landlords and overseers leave the village after assessing the roads after a flood, what do the young boys in town do for fun and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, G. is watching clouds as he walks toward the sea. He sees different figures and scenes in the clouds. What do these "scenes" G. sees represent or symbolize? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, G. gets a strange feeling when something is ending or when he knows he will not see someone again. Discuss how wrapping the pebble in a grape leaf helps him cope with this feeling. What is going on in his life when he does this?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the overseers and the villagers. Include actions and beliefs of both groups.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)