|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the ways in which the old man and the old woman make a living?
(a) They make clothing.
(b) They sell goat's milk.
(c) They sell cow's milk.
(d) They run a food cart.
2. While a crowd of villagers wait in line to buy food from a vendor, whom do they let cut the line?
(a) The landlord.
(b) The overseer.
(c) No one cuts the line.
(d) A white man.
3. How do the neighbors refer to G's day of celebration in order to console him?
(a) "At last the sun came out."
(b) "Tomorrow is another day."
(c) "The day brought showers of blessings."
(d) "Your home is in one piece."
4. Why do Trumper, Boy Blue and G. sneak onto the landlord's grounds at night in Chapter 7?
(a) To pick flowers.
(b) To play cricket.
(c) To get food.
(d) To watch a dance.
5. How does Bob feel about his mother beating him all of the time?
(a) He is hardened to it.
(b) He feels very sad all of the time.
(c) He likes the beatings.
(d) He is afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is intimated will happen to the two women who go off with the constable after their fight?
2. What new venture does Mr. Slime begin?
3. What makes the drinking water give G. a belly ache?
4. What company will be hurt if there is a strike?
5. From whom does Boy Blue tell the others to keep the secret of the fisherman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Slime's plan for the people of Barbados as described by Pa?
2. Who are the "vagabonds" the old woman speaks of to Pa?
3. Whom does it turn out that the men surrounding the villager's houses are waiting for and why?
4. What has given both G. and his mother some anxiety and confidence about how things will be in Trinidad for G.?
5. When Bob tells G. that he wants to take different routes to the sea, he tells him not to run so that they can decide which route is really the quickest. When G. hesitates and then runs after Bob, what does their ultimate interaction represent?
6. Why does G. want to leave the nice pebble he found on the beach where he can find it once again?
7. What technique does Bob use to get G. out of a beating in Chapter 2? How can this be related to the way black people in Barbados are treated?
8. There are people known as "poor whites" on the island. What is their lot in life?
9. In what way does Pa compare Mr. Slime to Moses?
10. What is the pattern of the customers on the "corner"?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)