|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When an old woman tells a schoolboy she had once been a slave, what does his teacher tell him?
(a) Not in Barbados and a very long time ago.
(b) In England, a short time ago.
(c) In Barbados and a very long time ago.
(d) In America, a hundred years ago.
2. Who runs a busy food cart that the villagers buy food from every morning?
(c) Mr. Foster.
(d) Mr. Creighton.
3. Whom do Mr. Foster and the overseer's brother ask for an opinion about Mr. Slime?
(a) Bob's mother.
(c) A boy.
(d) Miss Foster.
4. How is Trumper able to get his two friends inside the gate of the landlord's home?
(a) He blackmails Mr. Slime for a key.
(b) They make a tunnel under the gate.
(c) The overseer leaves a key for Cutsie and he got it.
(d) He bribes the overseer for a key.
5. What does Ma have Pa do to get him to stop thinking about dying?
(a) Look at old photos of themselves.
(b) Say a prayer together.
(c) Talk about it with her.
(d) Call a neighbor to talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What device does the author use to let the reader know that the head teacher likes to drink ?
2. What makes the drinking water give G. a belly ache?
3. What does G.'s mother do every Sunday when he walks past the corner on his way to Sunday school?
4. The village overseers are given special favors. What is one favor given?
5. Who does the headmaster put to the back of his mind as being too big and important to deal with yet, after he has seen the contents of the envelope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader know about Pa and Ma?
2. How does the author portray the village as being at war with itself in Chapter 1?
3. What is Pa talking about in his sleep when he brings up the words "silver" and "Africa"?
4. When Trumper, Boy Blue and G. observe the fisherman in Chapter 6, what is he doing? Describe his attitude.
5. What is the pattern of the customers on the "corner"?
6. Why do the villagers trust Mr. Slime?
7. In what way does Pa compare Mr. Slime to Moses?
8. The shoemaker makes a little speech in Chapter 5 to the men he is standing with as they watch the villagers buy food from the cart. What is the point of his speech?
9. What has given both G. and his mother some anxiety and confidence about how things will be in Trinidad for G.?
10. What is the head teacher trying to discover as he listens to Pa's reactions to what he has been told in Chapter 13?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)