|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had the head teacher's wife once done to him when he returned home drunk?
(a) She threw his clothes out the window.
(b) She called the police.
(c) She whipped him.
(d) She threw him out.
2. Who do Bob's and G.'s mother decide are not worth bothering about?
(b) Mr. Foster.
(c) The fowlcock.
(d) The children.
3. What role does Bob play in order to get past his mother, G.'s mother and Miss Foster?
(a) He pretends he is a bear.
(b) He acts like a lion.
(c) He is just himself.
(d) He becomes a rabbit.
4. Nine-year-old G. sees things in his bed when his eyes open. What does he see?
(d) His grandparents.
5. What does the old man say Mr. Slime is telling the people they should own?
(b) Their own land.
(c) More livestock.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Trumper say Mr. Slime wants to put an end to?
2. What device does the author use to let the reader know that the head teacher likes to drink ?
3. To where does G.'s maternal uncle emigrate?
4. Who does the headmaster put to the back of his mind as being too big and important to deal with yet, after he has seen the contents of the envelope?
5. What does G.'s mother do every Sunday when he walks past the corner on his way to Sunday school?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Trumper, Boy Blue and G. observe the fisherman in Chapter 6, what is he doing? Describe his attitude.
2. Why does G. feel guilty upon the death of his pigeon?
3. What political and real estate changes have taken place in the village by Chapter 12?
4. The shoemaker makes a little speech in Chapter 5 to the men he is standing with as they watch the villagers buy food from the cart. What is the point of his speech?
5. When the author compares the inspector and the head teacher in Chapter 3, how does he do so?
6. What has given both G. and his mother some anxiety and confidence about how things will be in Trinidad for G.?
7. What is the relationship like between the villagers and the overseer?
8. In what way have the villagers lost control of their lives in Chapter 9 when the men surround their homes?
9. Why does G. want to leave the nice pebble he found on the beach where he can find it once again?
10. Why does the landlord say he may sell the land?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)