|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only person G. has an attachment to and is grateful for in high school?
(a) The first assistant.
(b) The headmaster.
(c) His language teacher.
(d) Another teammate.
2. In Chapter 12, G. goes to visit Pa before he leaves for his new job. In general, how often does G. go to see Pa?
(a) Every two years.
(c) Every day.
3. What happens to a large merchant ship in the Barbados harbor?
(a) It becomes a tourist cruise ship.
(b) It mysteriously sinks.
(c) It is hijacked by German soldiers.
(d) It is torpedoed.
4. What does "Pa" want Mr. Foster and Bob's father to do in Chapter 9?
(a) Run away from the village.
(b) Hide in the house.
(c) Ask Mr. Slime what is happening in the city.
(d) Go into the city and report back.
5. When the landlord speaks personally to Ma while she is on her way to the office in Chapter 8, what does he tell her he will do if things get any worse in the village?
(a) He will rebuild.
(b) He will sell the land.
(c) He will burn it down.
(d) He will give the land to the villagers.
6. How does the old woman feel the landlord addressed her as?
(a) His superior.
(b) A servant.
(c) A slave.
(d) An equal.
7. Where does the head teacher say he and Mr. Creighton plan to send Pa?
(a) The Alms House.
(d) To live with the Fosters.
8. What is G. afraid of concerning other people?
(a) Their skin color.
(b) Nothing at all.
(c) That they will rob you.
(d) That they will claim to know you.
9. Why does G. feel it best to be separated for a day from what he found on the beach?
(a) It confuses him.
(b) It is too bright.
(c) It would mean more to him.
(d) So it doesn't hurt him.
10. In Chapter 12, as G. is talking to Pa, the reader learns that the village train has stopped running. Why?
(a) The tracks are sold for scrap iron for the war.
(b) The landlord buys it and destroys it.
(c) The tracks are destroyed by the Germans.
(d) No one takes the train anymore.
11. Why do the men fighting in the city make their way toward the villages?
(a) The police force them to retreat.
(b) They are tired.
(c) To kill the villagers.
(d) To get food.
12. Where is G. preparing to go in Chapter 14?
13. What words does G.'s mother use to feel better about not being able to provide him with a nicer place to live?
(a) Any house is a home.
(b) The mind is the man.
(c) You live where your bed is.
(d) The room is not important.
14. What does the bill the overseer puts on the lamp post state?
(a) Mr. Slime is the new village land owner.
(b) The price of each house.
(c) How many weeks the people have to move.
(d) Mr. Creighton has sold the land to the overseer.
15. What happens to Bob after he tells his parents "they comin'"?
(a) He faints.
(b) He tells them everything.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, by the trash heap, what does the landlord speak to the old woman about?
2. What job does the overseer take on?
3. What does G. find on the beach that he decides to hide?
4. Where do Trumper and Bob go after they have waited three hours to find out about the fighting in the city?
5. What sort of dreams does Pa tell G. that he has?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)