|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, as G. is talking to Pa, the reader learns that the village train has stopped running. Why?
(a) No one takes the train anymore.
(b) The tracks are sold for scrap iron for the war.
(c) The landlord buys it and destroys it.
(d) The tracks are destroyed by the Germans.
2. What happens to Bob after he tells his parents "they comin'"?
(a) He faints.
(b) He dies.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He tells them everything.
3. How many sections is Chapter 13 divided into?
4. When Pa speaks about tribes, what do some tribes have that others do not?
5. What color is the goat with Pa in Chapter 12?
6. Why does the shoemaker begin to cry in front of his friends?
(a) He is thinking he might have to move.
(b) He misses his wife.
(c) He wishes he could move to America.
(d) He is thinking about the riots.
7. Who almost eats the fish G.'s mother has fried?
(a) Some young boys.
(b) A black cat.
(c) A stray dog.
(d) A racoon.
8. Where does the head teacher say he and Mr. Creighton plan to send Pa?
(b) The Alms House.
(c) To live with the Fosters.
9. In what way does Mr. Foster change his attitude toward the new landowner sitting in his home in Chapter 13?
(a) He turns it all into a joke.
(b) He gets extremely angry and forceful.
(c) He becomes more complacant.
(d) He begins to cry.
10. G. has become attached to the first assistant who was mentoring him. G. gets the feeling that he will see him for the last time just before he gets a confirmation of a job offer. What job offer does G. receive?
(a) Teaching in America.
(b) Writing poetry for a publisher.
(c) Joining the village police.
(d) Teaching in Trinidad.
11. Where are the poor whites on the island originally from?
(a) New Zealand.
12. What is considered by the white man to be the best of Africa's produce?
(a) The people.
13. In Chapter 8, by the trash heap, what does the landlord speak to the old woman about?
(a) How things have changed in the village.
(b) Whether she wants tea.
(c) How every family in the village is doing.
(d) How much money she makes.
14. What is going on in the city in Chapter 9 that the village is in fear of?
(a) Drunken parties.
(d) Open-air preaching.
15. Who is G. talking to in Chapter 12?
(a) Mr. Foster.
(b) His father.
(d) Mr. Slime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is G. eavesdropping on at the Miami Club?
2. On whose side does Mr. Slime say he will be on in any calamity?
3. Why do the men fighting in the city make their way toward the villages?
4. What is G. afraid of concerning other people?
5. What sort of dreams does Pa tell G. that he has?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)