|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the landlord been living in the village?
(a) More than 30 years.
(b) 20 years, exactly.
(c) More than 40 years.
(d) Less than a year.
2. According to Pa, what is "price" equal to?
3. What does the bill the overseer puts on the lamp post state?
(a) The price of each house.
(b) How many weeks the people have to move.
(c) Mr. Creighton has sold the land to the overseer.
(d) Mr. Slime is the new village land owner.
4. What question does Pa really want answered by the head teacher in Chapter 13?
(a) How much his house is worth.
(b) Why Mr. Creighton sold the land to Mr. Slime.
(c) When he has to leave.
(d) Why he is being sent to the Alms House.
5. What happens to a lot of trees in the village?
(a) Lightning hits them.
(b) There is a forest fire.
(c) People use them for firewood.
(d) They are felled.
6. Who is G. talking to in Chapter 12?
(a) His father.
(c) Mr. Slime.
(d) Mr. Foster.
7. What does the shoemaker say the author J.B. Priestly prophesied?
(a) Tourism in Barbados.
(b) The end of the world.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
8. What does G.'s mother expect from him?
9. How is the high school different from the village school?
(a) The high school serves the needs of the poor.
(b) The high school is less restricted.
(c) There are too many supervising ministers at the hIgh school.
(d) The village school is more easygoing.
10. Who is the main protagonist in Chapter 10?
(c) Mr. Slime.
(d) The landlord.
11. As Mr. Foster and Bob's father sit and discuss what the details might be of what is happening in the city, who is speaking in the road outside their homes, telling them her boy has been killed in the city?
(a) The landlord's wife.
(b) The English lady.
(c) Miss Foster.
(d) The old drunken woman.
12. What happens to the families shipped to the islands from Africa?
(a) They are killed one by one.
(b) They are brought over together.
(c) They are adopted by the white people.
(d) They get split up.
13. What does the young man, Barrow, decide to do for the war effort?
(a) Donate blood.
(b) Join the Royal Air Force.
(c) Collect food and supplies.
(d) Join the army.
14. Where are the poor whites on the island originally from?
(b) New Zealand.
15. What job does the overseer take on?
(a) Head school master.
(b) Supervisor of roads.
(d) Tax collector.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, G. goes to Pa's house and they begin to discuss how the village has changed. G. went to visit Pa to tell him something. What was it?
2. Who do the villagers think can take care of the fighting if it comes to the village?
3. On whose side does Mr. Slime say he will be on in any calamity?
4. Why does the old woman go down to the landlord's house?
5. Who almost eats the fish G.'s mother has fried?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)