|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the shoemaker begin to cry in front of his friends?
(a) He misses his wife.
(b) He is thinking he might have to move.
(c) He is thinking about the riots.
(d) He wishes he could move to America.
2. Who comes to visit G. the night before he leaves Barbados?
(c) Mr. Slime.
(d) Boy Blue.
3. How much time has gone by in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) A month.
(b) A few hours.
4. What is it that Pa says people have a way of not remembering?
(c) The land.
(d) Old people.
5. Where are the poor whites on the island originally from?
(a) New Zealand.
6. What happens to a large merchant ship in the Barbados harbor?
(a) It becomes a tourist cruise ship.
(b) It is hijacked by German soldiers.
(c) It mysteriously sinks.
(d) It is torpedoed.
7. What do the men at the park gate give to Bob and Trumper?
(a) Sticks to use as a weapon.
(d) Pins to put on the train tracks.
8. What is happening to the roads in Chapter 12?
(a) They are being repaired.
(b) They are flooding.
(c) They are being widened.
(d) They are being narrowed.
9. Who almost eats the fish G.'s mother has fried?
(a) A black cat.
(b) A stray dog.
(c) A racoon.
(d) Some young boys.
10. As Mr. Foster and Bob's father sit and discuss what the details might be of what is happening in the city, who is speaking in the road outside their homes, telling them her boy has been killed in the city?
(a) The old drunken woman.
(b) The landlord's wife.
(c) The English lady.
(d) Miss Foster.
11. In Chapter 13, what does the head teacher say he would offer to do for Pa?
(a) Buy Pa's house.
(b) Give Pa a part-time job.
(c) Let Pa live with him.
(d) Get Mr. Slime to let Pa stay in his house.
12. What is the value of people in Africa according to Pa?
(a) 400 British pounds.
(b) Beyond any price.
(c) A certain amount of silver.
(d) Five whites to one black man.
13. Why does the old woman hesitate to tell the old man about what the landlord said?
(a) She does not want him too happy.
(b) She forgets what he said.
(c) She is in love with the landlord.
(d) She thinks he will be disturbed.
14. Who is G. talking to in Chapter 12?
(b) Mr. Foster.
(c) His father.
(d) Mr. Slime.
15. How long has the landlord been living in the village?
(a) More than 30 years.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) 20 years, exactly.
(d) More than 40 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the families shipped to the islands from Africa?
2. In Chapter 12, as G. is talking to Pa, the reader learns that the village train has stopped running. Why?
3. The old woman thinks she knows how the landlord feels towards the villagers. What feeling is predominant?
4. What is going on in the city in Chapter 9 that the village is in fear of?
5. How does the old woman feel the landlord addressed her as?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)