|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time has gone by in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) A few hours.
(d) A month.
2. What is G. afraid of concerning other people?
(a) That they will rob you.
(b) Nothing at all.
(c) That they will claim to know you.
(d) Their skin color.
3. On whose side does Mr. Slime say he will be on in any calamity?
(a) The village's side.
(b) The landlord's side.
(c) His own side.
(d) Nobody's side.
4. Who tells Pa that G. is going away?
(a) G.'s mother.
(b) Bob's mother.
(c) Mrs. Creighton.
(d) Miss Foster.
5. The old woman thinks she knows how the landlord feels towards the villagers. What feeling is predominant?
(a) Deep love.
6. What does Pa think that Ma would not have believed if she were alive?
(a) The way things have changed.
(b) How old he looks.
(c) World War II.
7. What does G.'s mother expect from him?
8. What question does Pa really want answered by the head teacher in Chapter 13?
(a) When he has to leave.
(b) Why Mr. Creighton sold the land to Mr. Slime.
(c) How much his house is worth.
(d) Why he is being sent to the Alms House.
9. In Chapter 12, as G. is talking to Pa, the reader learns that the village train has stopped running. Why?
(a) The tracks are sold for scrap iron for the war.
(b) No one takes the train anymore.
(c) The landlord buys it and destroys it.
(d) The tracks are destroyed by the Germans.
10. How long is the shoemaker told he has before he must vacate the land his shop is on?
(a) A year.
(b) A month.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) One day.
11. As Mr. Foster and Bob's father sit and discuss what the details might be of what is happening in the city, who is speaking in the road outside their homes, telling them her boy has been killed in the city?
(a) The English lady.
(b) The landlord's wife.
(c) The old drunken woman.
(d) Miss Foster.
12. What happens to a large merchant ship in the Barbados harbor?
(a) It is torpedoed.
(b) It becomes a tourist cruise ship.
(c) It mysteriously sinks.
(d) It is hijacked by German soldiers.
13. What is going on in the city in Chapter 9 that the village is in fear of?
(b) Open-air preaching.
(d) Drunken parties.
14. In what way does Mr. Foster change his attitude toward the new landowner sitting in his home in Chapter 13?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He becomes more complacant.
(c) He turns it all into a joke.
(d) He gets extremely angry and forceful.
15. Which is one of the islands named by Pa to which tribes were shipped by boat?
(a) St. Martin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What field of work do Bob and Boy Blue both enter?
2. What happens to a lot of trees in the village?
3. How does the old woman feel at first about the landlord having chosen to speak to her in Chapter 8?
4. How does Bob escape the city without further harm?
5. In Chapter 12, G. goes to Pa's house and they begin to discuss how the village has changed. G. went to visit Pa to tell him something. What was it?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)