|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pa think the landlord should do about the land?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Give it to them.
(c) Sell it.
(d) Rebuild on it.
2. When the landlord speaks personally to Ma while she is on her way to the office in Chapter 8, what does he tell her he will do if things get any worse in the village?
(a) He will give the land to the villagers.
(b) He will sell the land.
(c) He will burn it down.
(d) He will rebuild.
3. Where is Ma having pain?
(a) Her legs.
(b) Her head.
(c) Her ribs.
(d) Her stomach.
4. Where does the head teacher say he and Mr. Creighton plan to send Pa?
(a) The Alms House.
(b) To live with the Fosters.
5. On whose side does Mr. Slime say he will be on in any calamity?
(a) His own side.
(b) The village's side.
(c) The landlord's side.
(d) Nobody's side.
6. What does the bill the overseer puts on the lamp post state?
(a) How many weeks the people have to move.
(b) Mr. Creighton has sold the land to the overseer.
(c) Mr. Slime is the new village land owner.
(d) The price of each house.
7. What happens to Bob after he tells his parents "they comin'"?
(a) He faints.
(b) He dies.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He tells them everything.
8. What happens to a large merchant ship in the Barbados harbor?
(a) It is hijacked by German soldiers.
(b) It becomes a tourist cruise ship.
(c) It is torpedoed.
(d) It mysteriously sinks.
9. What happens to the families shipped to the islands from Africa?
(a) They are adopted by the white people.
(b) They get split up.
(c) They are killed one by one.
(d) They are brought over together.
10. What does Pa think that Ma would not have believed if she were alive?
(a) The way things have changed.
(c) How old he looks.
(d) World War II.
11. How does the old woman feel at first about the landlord having chosen to speak to her in Chapter 8?
(a) She feels very sad.
(b) She feels pleased.
(c) She feels looked down upon.
(d) She feels annoyed.
12. According to Pa, what is "price" equal to?
13. How does the old woman feel the landlord addressed her as?
(a) An equal.
(b) His superior.
(c) A slave.
(d) A servant.
14. Whom is G. eavesdropping on at the Miami Club?
(a) Mr. Slime and the head teacher.
(b) Mr. Slime and Mr. Creighton.
(c) His mother and the head teacher.
(d) His mother and Mr. Slime.
15. What question does Pa really want answered by the head teacher in Chapter 13?
(a) How much his house is worth.
(b) Why Mr. Creighton sold the land to Mr. Slime.
(c) When he has to leave.
(d) Why he is being sent to the Alms House.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house falls to pieces as men try to move it?
2. In Chapter 12, as G. is talking to Pa, the reader learns that the village train has stopped running. Why?
3. How is the high school different from the village school?
4. In Chapter 13, what does the head teacher say he would offer to do for Pa?
5. What is the value of people in Africa according to Pa?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)