|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does G.'s mother get her information about Trinidad?
(a) From Dave.
(b) From Pa.
(d) From the newspapers.
2. Why do the men fighting in the city make their way toward the villages?
(a) To kill the villagers.
(b) To get food.
(c) The police force them to retreat.
(d) They are tired.
3. Which is one of the islands named by Pa to which tribes were shipped by boat?
(c) St. Martin.
4. Where are the poor whites on the island originally from?
(b) New Zealand.
5. G. has become attached to the first assistant who was mentoring him. G. gets the feeling that he will see him for the last time just before he gets a confirmation of a job offer. What job offer does G. receive?
(a) Teaching in Trinidad.
(b) Joining the village police.
(c) Writing poetry for a publisher.
(d) Teaching in America.
6. When G. and his mother are in their kitchen, his mother gets angry with him..What does G.'s mother pick up to strike him with?
(a) The big spoon.
(b) The whip.
(c) A frying pan.
(d) The stick.
7. What does G. find on the beach that he decides to hide?
(a) A beautiful shell.
(b) A dead crab.
(d) A pebble.
8. What is it that Bob's father and Mr. Foster cannot bear to listen to in Mr. Foster's house as the men try to talk about the meaning of the fighting?
(a) Miss Foster's crying.
(b) Bob's yelling.
(d) The rioters coming.
9. What does the shoemaker say the author J.B. Priestly prophesied?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) Tourism in Barbados.
10. What happens to the families shipped to the islands from Africa?
(a) They are brought over together.
(b) They are adopted by the white people.
(c) They get split up.
(d) They are killed one by one.
11. Pa states that if you hear someone wanting to get back to Africa, what should you think?
(a) All of your people should go.
(b) You do not belong there yet.
(c) He is a wise person.
(d) Hurry on a boat.
12. How does Bob escape the city without further harm?
(a) He finds Trumper.
(b) He crawls home.
(c) He hides in a trash heap.
(d) He goes to police headquarters.
13. Why does G. feel it best to be separated for a day from what he found on the beach?
(a) It would mean more to him.
(b) So it doesn't hurt him.
(c) It is too bright.
(d) It confuses him.
14. What question does Pa really want answered by the head teacher in Chapter 13?
(a) When he has to leave.
(b) Why he is being sent to the Alms House.
(c) How much his house is worth.
(d) Why Mr. Creighton sold the land to Mr. Slime.
15. How does the old woman feel the landlord addressed her as?
(a) A servant.
(b) A slave.
(c) An equal.
(d) His superior.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the high school different from the village school?
2. Who is the main protagonist in Chapter 10?
3. What do the men at the park gate give to Bob and Trumper?
4. How long has the landlord been living in the village?
5. What is going on in the city in Chapter 9 that the village is in fear of?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)