|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does the overseer take on?
(b) Head school master.
(c) Supervisor of roads.
(d) Tax collector.
2. What does G. find on the beach that he decides to hide?
(a) A beautiful shell.
(c) A pebble.
(d) A dead crab.
3. What happens to the landlord's daughter?
(a) She moves to England.
(b) She emigrates to America.
(c) She stays in Barbados.
(d) She marries a sailor.
4. Where does G.'s mother get her information about Trinidad?
(a) From the newspapers.
(b) From Pa.
(c) From Dave.
5. When G. and his mother are in their kitchen, his mother gets angry with him..What does G.'s mother pick up to strike him with?
(a) The stick.
(b) The whip.
(c) A frying pan.
(d) The big spoon.
6. Where is Ma having pain?
(a) Her legs.
(b) Her head.
(c) Her ribs.
(d) Her stomach.
7. How does the old woman feel at first about the landlord having chosen to speak to her in Chapter 8?
(a) She feels annoyed.
(b) She feels very sad.
(c) She feels pleased.
(d) She feels looked down upon.
8. What is it that Bob's father and Mr. Foster cannot bear to listen to in Mr. Foster's house as the men try to talk about the meaning of the fighting?
(a) Bob's yelling.
(b) The rioters coming.
(d) Miss Foster's crying.
9. Why does the old woman go down to the landlord's house?
(a) To spy on him.
(b) To have tea.
(c) To pay the rent.
(d) To ask for a loan.
10. Where is G. preparing to go in Chapter 14?
11. Where are the poor whites on the island originally from?
(a) New Zealand.
12. What does Ma realize that Pa is doing while he sleeps in Chapter 10?
(a) Having a seizure.
(b) Dreaming of other women.
13. What is happening to the roads in Chapter 12?
(a) They are being widened.
(b) They are being narrowed.
(c) They are flooding.
(d) They are being repaired.
14. In Chapter 12, G. goes to Pa's house and they begin to discuss how the village has changed. G. went to visit Pa to tell him something. What was it?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He is joining the police force.
(c) He is the new headmaster.
(d) He is going away.
15. What is it that Pa says people have a way of not remembering?
(a) The land.
(c) Old people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pa think that Ma would not have believed if she were alive?
2. What question does Pa really want answered by the head teacher in Chapter 13?
3. Who almost eats the fish G.'s mother has fried?
4. Who is G. talking to in Chapter 12?
5. In Chapter 12, G. goes to visit Pa before he leaves for his new job. In general, how often does G. go to see Pa?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)