|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose side is the old woman on when the landlord takes her aside to speak with her about the village?
(a) The landlord's.
(c) Mr. Slime's.
(d) She is neutral.
2. What is the name of the colorful dish that G.'s mother cooks for him on his last evening in Barbados?
(b) Stuffed crab.
3. What is considered by the white man to be the best of Africa's produce?
(d) The people.
4. What sort of dreams does Pa tell G. that he has?
(a) Funny ones.
(b) Strange ones.
(d) Prophetic ones.
5. What happens to the families shipped to the islands from Africa?
(a) They are killed one by one.
(b) They are adopted by the white people.
(c) They are brought over together.
(d) They get split up.
6. What job does the overseer take on?
(a) Tax collector.
(c) Supervisor of roads.
(d) Head school master.
7. The old woman thinks she knows how the landlord feels towards the villagers. What feeling is predominant?
(d) Deep love.
8. What happens to the landlord's daughter?
(a) She moves to England.
(b) She emigrates to America.
(c) She marries a sailor.
(d) She stays in Barbados.
9. Why does the old woman go down to the landlord's house?
(a) To ask for a loan.
(b) To spy on him.
(c) To pay the rent.
(d) To have tea.
10. What is G. afraid of concerning other people?
(a) That they will rob you.
(b) Nothing at all.
(c) That they will claim to know you.
(d) Their skin color.
11. What field of work do Bob and Boy Blue both enter?
12. What is the value of people in Africa according to Pa?
(a) A certain amount of silver.
(b) Five whites to one black man.
(c) 400 British pounds.
(d) Beyond any price.
13. Who is the main protagonist in Chapter 10?
(a) The landlord.
(c) Mr. Slime.
14. Who do the villagers think can take care of the fighting if it comes to the village?
(a) The boys.
(b) The landlord.
(c) The overseer.
(d) Mr. Slime.
15. How long has the landlord been living in the village?
(a) More than 40 years.
(b) 20 years, exactly.
(c) Less than a year.
(d) More than 30 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ma tell Pa he should never do?
2. What does Trumper discover in America that is of great importance to him?
3. From whom does G. receive letters in Chapter 11?
4. What does the bill the overseer puts on the lamp post state?
5. As Mr. Foster and Bob's father sit and discuss what the details might be of what is happening in the city, who is speaking in the road outside their homes, telling them her boy has been killed in the city?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)