|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does G. feel it best to be separated for a day from what he found on the beach?
(a) So it doesn't hurt him.
(b) It would mean more to him.
(c) It confuses him.
(d) It is too bright.
2. Who almost eats the fish G.'s mother has fried?
(a) A racoon.
(b) Some young boys.
(c) A stray dog.
(d) A black cat.
3. In what voice is Chapter 8 presented?
(a) Unreliable first person.
(c) First person.
(d) Second person.
4. Who is G. talking to in Chapter 12?
(b) Mr. Foster.
(c) His father.
(d) Mr. Slime.
5. How does the old woman feel at first about the landlord having chosen to speak to her in Chapter 8?
(a) She feels pleased.
(b) She feels very sad.
(c) She feels annoyed.
(d) She feels looked down upon.
6. What happens to the landlord's daughter?
(a) She marries a sailor.
(b) She emigrates to America.
(c) She stays in Barbados.
(d) She moves to England.
7. How long has the landlord been living in the village?
(a) Less than a year.
(b) More than 40 years.
(c) 20 years, exactly.
(d) More than 30 years.
8. What does Pa think that Ma would not have believed if she were alive?
(b) How old he looks.
(c) World War II.
(d) The way things have changed.
9. Pa states that if you hear someone wanting to get back to Africa, what should you think?
(a) He is a wise person.
(b) Hurry on a boat.
(c) You do not belong there yet.
(d) All of your people should go.
10. Who comes to visit G. the night before he leaves Barbados?
(a) Mr. Slime.
(b) Boy Blue.
11. What does Ma realize that Pa is doing while he sleeps in Chapter 10?
(b) Having a seizure.
(d) Dreaming of other women.
12. Whose side is the old woman on when the landlord takes her aside to speak with her about the village?
(b) The landlord's.
(c) Mr. Slime's.
(d) She is neutral.
13. The old woman thinks she knows how the landlord feels towards the villagers. What feeling is predominant?
(b) Deep love.
14. According to Pa, what is "price" equal to?
15. Whom is G. eavesdropping on at the Miami Club?
(a) His mother and the head teacher.
(b) Mr. Slime and the head teacher.
(c) His mother and Mr. Slime.
(d) Mr. Slime and Mr. Creighton.
Short Answer Questions
1. When G. and his mother are in their kitchen, his mother gets angry with him..What does G.'s mother pick up to strike him with?
2. Where does G.'s mother get her information about Trinidad?
3. In Chapter 12, as G. is talking to Pa, the reader learns that the village train has stopped running. Why?
4. What is it that Bob's father and Mr. Foster cannot bear to listen to in Mr. Foster's house as the men try to talk about the meaning of the fighting?
5. In Chapter 13, what does the head teacher say he would offer to do for Pa?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)