|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Trumper discover in America that is of great importance to him?
(a) Paul Robeson.
(b) That he is of the Negro race.
(c) That he misses Barbados.
(d) That there is democracy.
2. In Chapter 8, by the trash heap, what does the landlord speak to the old woman about?
(a) Whether she wants tea.
(b) How every family in the village is doing.
(c) How things have changed in the village.
(d) How much money she makes.
3. How long is the shoemaker told he has before he must vacate the land his shop is on?
(a) A year.
(b) A month.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) One day.
4. What does the young man, Barrow, decide to do for the war effort?
(a) Join the army.
(b) Donate blood.
(c) Join the Royal Air Force.
(d) Collect food and supplies.
5. What happens to Ma at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) She has an anxiety attack.
(b) She falls over dead.
(c) She goes back to sleep.
(d) She laughs at Pa's words.
6. How is the high school different from the village school?
(a) The high school is less restricted.
(b) There are too many supervising ministers at the hIgh school.
(c) The village school is more easygoing.
(d) The high school serves the needs of the poor.
7. What happens to Bob after he tells his parents "they comin'"?
(a) He faints.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He dies.
(d) He tells them everything.
8. What happens to a large merchant ship in the Barbados harbor?
(a) It becomes a tourist cruise ship.
(b) It is hijacked by German soldiers.
(c) It mysteriously sinks.
(d) It is torpedoed.
9. Where is G. preparing to go in Chapter 14?
10. What does the bill the overseer puts on the lamp post state?
(a) Mr. Slime is the new village land owner.
(b) The price of each house.
(c) How many weeks the people have to move.
(d) Mr. Creighton has sold the land to the overseer.
11. When Pa speaks about tribes, what do some tribes have that others do not?
12. After G. tells the reader his feelings about hiding the pebble and leaving the village school, where does Trumper tell G. he is going?
(a) To Scotland.
(b) To Africa.
(c) To England.
(d) To America.
13. Where are the poor whites on the island originally from?
(d) New Zealand.
14. Where is Ma having pain?
(a) Her head.
(b) Her legs.
(c) Her stomach.
(d) Her ribs.
15. On whose side does Mr. Slime say he will be on in any calamity?
(a) Nobody's side.
(b) His own side.
(c) The village's side.
(d) The landlord's side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pa think that Ma would not have believed if she were alive?
2. Who comes to visit G. the night before he leaves Barbados?
3. What question does Pa really want answered by the head teacher in Chapter 13?
4. What is G. writing at the beginning of Chapter 14?
5. Who joins Mr. Foster, Miss Foster and the new landowner while the landowner is explaining to the Fosters that they must vacate the land?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)