|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pa states that if you hear someone wanting to get back to Africa, what should you think?
(a) You do not belong there yet.
(b) All of your people should go.
(c) He is a wise person.
(d) Hurry on a boat.
2. How long has the landlord been living in the village?
(a) More than 30 years.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) More than 40 years.
(d) 20 years, exactly.
3. What does the shoemaker say the author J.B. Priestly prophesied?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) Tourism in Barbados.
4. What does Ma realize that Pa is doing while he sleeps in Chapter 10?
(c) Having a seizure.
(d) Dreaming of other women.
5. Why does the shoemaker begin to cry in front of his friends?
(a) He is thinking about the riots.
(b) He misses his wife.
(c) He wishes he could move to America.
(d) He is thinking he might have to move.
6. What words does G.'s mother use to feel better about not being able to provide him with a nicer place to live?
(a) The mind is the man.
(b) You live where your bed is.
(c) The room is not important.
(d) Any house is a home.
7. In Chapter 12, G. goes to Pa's house and they begin to discuss how the village has changed. G. went to visit Pa to tell him something. What was it?
(a) He is joining the police force.
(b) He is the new headmaster.
(c) He is going away.
(d) He is getting married.
8. When G. and his mother are in their kitchen, his mother gets angry with him..What does G.'s mother pick up to strike him with?
(a) The big spoon.
(b) The whip.
(c) The stick.
(d) A frying pan.
9. Where does G.'s mother get her information about Trinidad?
(a) From Pa.
(b) From the newspapers.
(c) From Dave.
10. What happens to the landlord's daughter?
(a) She stays in Barbados.
(b) She emigrates to America.
(c) She moves to England.
(d) She marries a sailor.
11. When the landlord speaks personally to Ma while she is on her way to the office in Chapter 8, what does he tell her he will do if things get any worse in the village?
(a) He will sell the land.
(b) He will give the land to the villagers.
(c) He will rebuild.
(d) He will burn it down.
12. What is it that Bob's father and Mr. Foster cannot bear to listen to in Mr. Foster's house as the men try to talk about the meaning of the fighting?
(b) Miss Foster's crying.
(c) Bob's yelling.
(d) The rioters coming.
13. What did Ma tell Pa he should never do?
(a) Be unfriendly to the landlord.
(b) Sell her stuff.
(c) Put her things in her coffin.
(d) Get rid of the house.
14. Why do the men fighting in the city make their way toward the villages?
(a) They are tired.
(b) To kill the villagers.
(c) The police force them to retreat.
(d) To get food.
15. What does the man visiting Mr. Foster in Chapter 13 offer to buy from him?
(a) His house.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His car.
(d) His garage.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Mr. Foster and Bob's father sit and discuss what the details might be of what is happening in the city, who is speaking in the road outside their homes, telling them her boy has been killed in the city?
2. What do the men at the park gate give to Bob and Trumper?
3. What is happening to the roads in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 12, G. goes to visit Pa before he leaves for his new job. In general, how often does G. go to see Pa?
5. What job does the overseer take on?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)