|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Pa" want Mr. Foster and Bob's father to do in Chapter 9?
(a) Hide in the house.
(b) Run away from the village.
(c) Go into the city and report back.
(d) Ask Mr. Slime what is happening in the city.
2. Whom is G. eavesdropping on at the Miami Club?
(a) His mother and Mr. Slime.
(b) His mother and the head teacher.
(c) Mr. Slime and Mr. Creighton.
(d) Mr. Slime and the head teacher.
3. G. has become attached to the first assistant who was mentoring him. G. gets the feeling that he will see him for the last time just before he gets a confirmation of a job offer. What job offer does G. receive?
(a) Joining the village police.
(b) Teaching in America.
(c) Teaching in Trinidad.
(d) Writing poetry for a publisher.
4. What happens to the families shipped to the islands from Africa?
(a) They are brought over together.
(b) They are adopted by the white people.
(c) They get split up.
(d) They are killed one by one.
5. In what voice is Chapter 8 presented?
(a) Second person.
(c) Unreliable first person.
(d) First person.
6. In what way does Mr. Foster change his attitude toward the new landowner sitting in his home in Chapter 13?
(a) He becomes more complacant.
(b) He turns it all into a joke.
(c) He gets extremely angry and forceful.
(d) He begins to cry.
7. How many sections is Chapter 13 divided into?
8. As Mr. Foster and Bob's father sit and discuss what the details might be of what is happening in the city, who is speaking in the road outside their homes, telling them her boy has been killed in the city?
(a) Miss Foster.
(b) The old drunken woman.
(c) The English lady.
(d) The landlord's wife.
9. What job does the overseer take on?
(a) Supervisor of roads.
(c) Tax collector.
(d) Head school master.
10. According to Pa, what is "price" equal to?
11. How does the old woman feel at first about the landlord having chosen to speak to her in Chapter 8?
(a) She feels pleased.
(b) She feels looked down upon.
(c) She feels annoyed.
(d) She feels very sad.
12. Where does G.'s mother get her information about Trinidad?
(a) From Dave.
(c) From Pa.
(d) From the newspapers.
13. What sort of dreams does Pa tell G. that he has?
(a) Prophetic ones.
(c) Strange ones.
(d) Funny ones.
14. What is the value of people in Africa according to Pa?
(a) Beyond any price.
(b) 400 British pounds.
(c) Five whites to one black man.
(d) A certain amount of silver.
15. When the landlord speaks personally to Ma while she is on her way to the office in Chapter 8, what does he tell her he will do if things get any worse in the village?
(a) He will rebuild.
(b) He will give the land to the villagers.
(c) He will sell the land.
(d) He will burn it down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does G.'s mother expect from him?
2. How does the old woman feel the landlord addressed her as?
3. What does the shoemaker say the author J.B. Priestly prophesied?
4. Why do the men fighting in the city make their way toward the villages?
5. What is happening to the roads in Chapter 12?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)