|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The boys standing under the pipe in Chapter 3 devise a plan to retaliate against the head teacher. What is the plan?
(a) To put tacks on his chair.
(b) To write him a nasty letter.
(c) To knock on his door and run.
(d) To stone him.
2. Through what means does the author convey to the reader that Mr. Slime is no longer a schoolteacher?
(a) Dialogue between Mr. Slime and the headmaster.
(b) Mr. Slime speaking in the first person.
(c) Direct narration.
(d) Dialogue between an older couple.
3. What makes the drinking water give G. a belly ache?
(a) rain water got into it.
(b) Someone else drank from it.
(c) Mosquitos are in it.
4. Who begins to approach G. after Boy Blue and Trumper leave the little boy's open-air conversion?
(a) The policeman.
(b) Bob's father.
(c) Mr. Slime.
(d) The preacher.
5. What happens to G.'s pigeon?
(a) It dies.
(b) It gets lost.
(c) It has baby pigeons.
(d) It flies away.
6. What is one of the ways in which the old man and the old woman make a living?
(a) They sell goat's milk.
(b) They make clothing.
(c) They sell cow's milk.
(d) They run a food cart.
7. Which two women get into a physical brawl in Chapter 5?
(a) Sheila Grimes and Baby Parker.
(b) Ma and the old woman.
(c) Miss Foster and Bob's mother.
(d) Miss Foster and Sheila Grimes.
8. Whom do the boys end up running away from as they escape the landlord's gate?
(a) The overseer.
(b) A large dog.
(c) A couple.
(d) The landlord.
9. Who are Pa and Ma?
(a) G.'s parents.
(b) England's queen and king's nicknames.
(c) The village's mayor and his wife.
(d) The oldest couple in the village.
10. Whom do Mr. Foster and the overseer's brother ask for an opinion about Mr. Slime?
(a) A boy.
(b) Bob's mother.
(c) Miss Foster.
11. What magical words is Bob supposed to say just before a large wave touches his toes?
(a) "Sea, come no further."
(b) "I am the master of the sea."
(c) "Sea sesame."
(d) "I will overcome you."
12. Where is the drinking water for the house kept?
(a) In the spring.
(b) It had to be purchased.
(c) In a barrel.
(d) In the faucet.
13. Which season in the village could change everything?
(a) The hot summer.
(b) Tourist season.
(c) Flood season.
(d) Winter season.
14. What is the only thing that Ma believes matters?
(b) Working hard.
(c) Salvation in Christ.
15. From whom does Boy Blue tell the others to keep the secret of the fisherman?
(a) Mr. Slime.
(b) G.'s mother.
(d) Bob's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the white gentleman get angry when Gordon tries to sell him a fowlcock in Chapter 2?
2. Who are the boys watching with fascination on the wild side of the sea in Chapter 6?
3. Why do the villagers believe that Mr. Slime resigned his teaching position?
4. An old woman walks circles in the night outside in Chapter 2. Why?
5. When Miss Foster goes to see the landlord, Mr. Creighton, what does he do?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)