|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Miss Foster go to see the landlord?
(a) To pay the rent.
(b) To get help.
(c) To get her rent back.
(d) To ask about her husband and her home.
2. Miss Foster says the phrase "..pick up the weself" when telling Bob's mother and G.'s mother about the flood. What does "weself" mean?
(a) Little children.
(b) Photos of them when they were little.
(c) They do not know what she means.
3. What is Barbados known as in comparison with the Mother Country?
(a) Little Barbados.
(b) The Queen's Country.
(c) Island England.
(d) Little England.
4. Which teacher has his name on the envelope that the headmaster receives?
(a) Mr. Garvey.
(b) Mr. Foster.
(c) Mr. Slime.
(d) Mr. Heady.
5. Whom does Boy Blue refer to as being a kind of "black Jesus"?
(a) Mr. Creighton.
(b) Mr. Slime.
(c) Mr. Foster.
(d) The shoemaker.
6. What new venture does Mr. Slime begin?
(a) The Sunday school.
(b) A clothing store.
(c) The Penny Bank.
(d) A political party.
7. Which two women get into a physical brawl in Chapter 5?
(a) Sheila Grimes and Baby Parker.
(b) Miss Foster and Bob's mother.
(c) Miss Foster and Sheila Grimes.
(d) Ma and the old woman.
8. How does the water inspector check the drinking water?
(a) He tests it in a lab.
(b) He never checks it.
(c) He tastes it.
(d) He scrapes the side of the container with a long spoon.
9. Who are the boys watching with fascination on the wild side of the sea in Chapter 6?
(b) A woman swimming.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) Mr. Slime.
10. What is one of the ways in which the old man and the old woman make a living?
(a) They run a food cart.
(b) They make clothing.
(c) They sell cow's milk.
(d) They sell goat's milk.
11. Which season in the village could change everything?
(a) The hot summer.
(b) Winter season.
(c) Flood season.
(d) Tourist season.
12. What does Pa do that he never told anyone else about?
(a) He nearly drowns.
(b) He touches a dead man.
(c) He has an affair.
(d) He writes a letter to the king.
13. What is intimated will happen to the two women who go off with the constable after their fight?
(a) They will get arrrested.
(b) They try to escape.
(c) They fight again.
(d) They will not get arrested.
14. How is the sea different on the other side of the lighthouse?
(a) The waves are calm.
(b) The waves are much rougher.
(c) Children play there.
(d) There are sharks.
15. What does Ma have Pa do to get him to stop thinking about dying?
(a) Look at old photos of themselves.
(b) Talk about it with her.
(c) Say a prayer together.
(d) Call a neighbor to talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Bambi to get married?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Trumper say Mr. Slime wants to put an end to?
3. Whom do Mr. Foster and the overseer's brother ask for an opinion about Mr. Slime?
4. G.'s mother hits him with a broken branch after the fence comes down. Why?
5. When Miss Foster goes to see the landlord, Mr. Creighton, what does he do?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)