|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When an old woman tells a schoolboy she had once been a slave, what does his teacher tell him?
(a) In Barbados and a very long time ago.
(b) In England, a short time ago.
(c) Not in Barbados and a very long time ago.
(d) In America, a hundred years ago.
2. What magical words is Bob supposed to say just before a large wave touches his toes?
(a) "Sea, come no further."
(b) "I am the master of the sea."
(c) "Sea sesame."
(d) "I will overcome you."
3. Who is the "Governor in Little England" the equivalent of in "Big England"?
(a) The constable.
(c) The president.
(d) The king.
4. When G. and Bob are walking toward the sea in Chapter Six, what does Bob want to do differently?
(a) Bike to the sea.
(b) Take two different routes to see who gets there first.
(c) Not talk while walking.
(d) Have a running race.
5. Why do the landlords travel from road to road throughout the village in Chapter 2?
(a) To be sure that everyone has enough water.
(b) To chat with the villagers.
(c) To assess the damage from the flood.
(d) To collect the rent money.
6. When the shoemaker, Mr. Foster and the others talk about the possibility of a strike or losing their jobs, whom does the shoemaker say they should leave the thinking to?
(a) The headmaster.
(b) Mr. Creighton.
(c) Ma and Pa.
(d) Mr. Slime.
7. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 3?
(a) Unreliable first person.
(b) Second person.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person, omniscient.
8. How is the sea different on the other side of the lighthouse?
(a) Children play there.
(b) The waves are much rougher.
(c) The waves are calm.
(d) There are sharks.
9. What is the headmaster's overwhelming feeling when he looks inside the envelope and thinks about its contents?
(a) Guilt at what he sees.
(b) Fear over the contents.
(c) Love because of the photo he sees.
(d) Confusion as to what he should do.
10. Which two women get into a physical brawl in Chapter 5?
(a) Miss Foster and Sheila Grimes.
(b) Ma and the old woman.
(c) Miss Foster and Bob's mother.
(d) Sheila Grimes and Baby Parker.
11. How does Bob feel about his mother beating him all of the time?
(a) He likes the beatings.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He is hardened to it.
(d) He feels very sad all of the time.
12. Through what means does the author convey to the reader that Mr. Slime is no longer a schoolteacher?
(a) Dialogue between an older couple.
(b) Mr. Slime speaking in the first person.
(c) Dialogue between Mr. Slime and the headmaster.
(d) Direct narration.
13. Who does the headmaster put to the back of his mind as being too big and important to deal with yet, after he has seen the contents of the envelope?
(a) Mr. Slime.
(b) His wife.
(c) His boss.
(d) The students.
14. Which of the three boys in Chapter 7 end up being converted by the preacher?
(b) Boy Blue.
(c) All of them.
15. Where is the drinking water for the house kept?
(a) In the spring.
(b) In a barrel.
(c) In the faucet.
(d) It had to be purchased.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ma tell Pa that he sees salvation in?
2. Who are the boys watching with fascination on the wild side of the sea in Chapter 6?
3. What is the only thing that Ma believes matters?
4. When Mr. Slime arrives with news of the strike in Chapter 5, what is the reaction of the men?
5. The village overseers are given special favors. What is one favor given?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)