|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which season in the village could change everything?
(a) Winter season.
(b) Flood season.
(c) Tourist season.
(d) The hot summer.
2. Who is the "Governor in Little England" the equivalent of in "Big England"?
(a) The president.
(b) The constable.
(d) The king.
3. Why does the old man keep looking up at the landlord's house before he retires to bed?
(a) He is suspicious of what goes on there.
(b) He is putting a bad spell on the landlord.
(c) He wonders what it feels like to be big and great.
(d) He is praying for the landlord.
4. On his walk toward the sea, what does G. realize about the corner when he stops there to say hello to Bob?
(a) It is where gambling men hang out.
(b) All the mothers stand around there.
(c) It is the safest place to be.
(d) It is filthy there.
5. Through what means does the author convey to the reader that Mr. Slime is no longer a schoolteacher?
(a) Dialogue between an older couple.
(b) Mr. Slime speaking in the first person.
(c) Dialogue between Mr. Slime and the headmaster.
(d) Direct narration.
6. G.'s mother hits him with a broken branch after the fence comes down. Why?
(a) He won't help her.
(b) He made the fence come down.
(c) He is standing there, naked, for all to see.
(d) He laughs at the fence coming down.
7. Why does the white gentleman get angry when Gordon tries to sell him a fowlcock in Chapter 2?
(a) He is dressed for work.
(b) He doesn't have money.
(c) The fowlcock looks bad.
(d) He is busy.
8. What is G. celebrating in Chapter 1?
(a) His mother's birthday.
(b) His ninth birthday.
(d) The end of the flood season.
9. What do the village boys do for fun and adventure on the railroad tracks?
(a) Run after trains to try and jump on.
(b) Put pins and nails on the track to be flattened into knives.
(c) Jump over the tracks.
(d) Lie down on the tracks.
10. Why does G.'s next door neighbor box her son's, Bob's, ears?
(a) He got into a fight with G.
(b) He was late to supper.
(c) He broke G.'s mother's pumpkin vine.
(d) He cursed out loud.
11. When Mr. Slime arrives with news of the strike in Chapter 5, what is the reaction of the men?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They are a little disappointed.
(c) They don't care.
(d) They are thrilled.
12. Which two women get into a physical brawl in Chapter 5?
(a) Miss Foster and Bob's mother.
(b) Sheila Grimes and Baby Parker.
(c) Ma and the old woman.
(d) Miss Foster and Sheila Grimes.
13. What is the sanitary water inspector checking for?
(b) E. coli.
14. Which teacher has his name on the envelope that the headmaster receives?
(a) Mr. Foster.
(b) Mr. Heady.
(c) Mr. Slime.
(d) Mr. Garvey.
15. When does G.'s mother sing?
(a) In the shower.
(b) When she was in the choir.
(c) When G. tries to remember his father.
(d) When she is happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is intimated will happen to the two women who go off with the constable after their fight?
2. In what way is G. embarrassed as he is being bathed outside in his yard?
3. How does Bob feel about his mother beating him all of the time?
4. What happens to Boy Blue as he is catching crabs on the wild side of the sea?
5. What do some of the boys argue about when they receive their pennies?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)