Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
2. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
3. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
4. When does Houston defeat Santa Ana?
5. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
Essay Topic 1
In the Introduction, Horace Gregory writes that "History is a humiliating subject for any man to think of knowing...The desire to know history is a near relative of the desire to know truth, and that is where, for most of us, a pit lies waiting." Does William Carlos Williams avoid the pit, or fall into it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Williams blames Cortez for the destruction of Tenochtitlan? Why or why not? Use evidence from the chapter to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In "Descent," Williams remarks, "There is nothing for a man but genius or despair." At the time, Williams was writing about Sam Houston. However, he makes the remark more generally. Consider the other historical figures who are included in this book. Can it be said of each of them that there was nothing for them but genius or despair? Pick three historical figures from In the American Grain. Write an essay reflecting on whether or not Williams' statement about genius and despair is true for each of the people you choose. Support your arguments with evidence from In the American Grain.
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)