|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Williams think that Burr did not get along with Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson?
2. What kind of position is Jones' squadron in when the battle begins?
3. What do Burr's critics say about him when he runs for office?
4. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
5. What does Williams say that people of color excel at, more so than any white person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you compare and contrast the characters of Thomas Morton and Cotton Mather. How are the two men similar? How are they different? Could they have gotten along if they had lived in the same community? Why or why not? Use evidence from In the American Grain to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In "Jacataqua," Williams argues that some kinds of violence are not crimes of passion, but rather are crimes of starvation -- spiritual starvation. Write an essay explaining Williams' views on spiritual poverty and wealth, and spiritual fullness and starvation. Use quotations from In the American Grain to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Williams chooses to tell the stories of Eric the Red and Freydis? What makes these tales part of the American grain? Use evidence from the narratives to support your answer.
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)