|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Founding Father refers to Aaron Burr as dangerous?
2. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
3. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
4. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
5. What area does Boone discover, along with his brother, just before the American Revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Williams' essay on Abraham Lincoln with his essay on George Washington. How are these two famous presidents similar? How are they different? Is there a difference in the way that Williams approaches writing about each of them? Draw on evidence from In the American Grain to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Are the American Grain and the character of the New World identical, or are they different? Write an essay in which you explain how William Carlos Williams might answer this question. Support your answer with evidence from In the American Grain.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of "Poor Richard," Williams states, "...almost nothing remains of the great American New World but a memory of the Indian." What do you think Williams means by this? Write an essay explaining the connection of the Indian to the American Grain. Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)