|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
2. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
3. Who raises Sam Houston during the early years of his life?
4. What famous ship does Williams say that a slave ship is the counterpart to?
5. Why does the narrator admire Pere Rasles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Do you think Williams blames Cortez for the destruction of Tenochtitlan? Why or why not? Use evidence from the chapter to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2Does Williams admire Sir Walter Raleigh? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from In the American Grain.
Essay Topic 3Consider the story of Pere Rasles. Why do you think William Carlos Williams admires Rasles so much? Write an essay explaining Williams' admiration for Rasles, supporting your thesis with evidence from In the American Grain. Do not rely only on evidence that you can find in the chapter, Pere Sebastian Rasles--include evidence from other chapters as well.
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)