|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say is the one thing that Americans fear more than anything else in the world?
2. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
3. What does William Carlos Williams say is the most important thing to remember about people who are descended from Africans who were brought to the Americas in slavery?
4. How does Jones feel about the battle?
5. What does Jacataqua ask Aaron Burr to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of "Poor Richard," Williams states, "...almost nothing remains of the great American New World but a memory of the Indian." What do you think Williams means by this? Write an essay explaining the connection of the Indian to the American Grain. Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Williams writes about three historical figures who admired Indians and who preferred living with Indians to living with white settlers. Who are those three figures? Write an essay in which you draw on details from each of their stories to explain why Williams so idolizes men who made this kind of choice.
Essay Topic 3
Aaron Burr appears in two of Williams' essays, "Jacataqua," and "The Virtue of History." Consider Aaron Burr's character in light of all that Williams says in "Jacataqua" about the American tendency to avoid touch, to be spiritually impoverished, and to keep women locked up by creating a culture in which women fear the loss of their virginity. Write an essay in which you judge Burr by the standards set forth in "Jacataqua." Support your thesis with evidence from both essays.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)