|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Williams think that Burr did not get along with Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson?
2. What part of Poe's reputation does Williams say is undeserved?
3. When does Houston defeat Santa Ana?
4. How does Williams say that intense emotions affect our perceptions of things?
5. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Williams regard America's Founding Fathers? Find the chapters in which Williams writes about some of the Founding Fathers and determine what characteristics of these men Williams admired, and what characteristics he regarded as pernicious. Then, write an essay describing Williams' attitude toward the Founding Fathers, drawing on the evidence that you collected to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
What does Williams mean when he says that fear drove Benjamin Franklin's curiosity, that he built a nation based on the desire to huddle and protect? Write an essay explaining why you think Williams might feel this way. Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Consider In the American Grain as a whole. What do you think William Carlos Williams is trying to tell his readers about the American national character? Do you think Williams believes there is just one national character, or several? How was the national character shaped? What do most Americans believe about their own identities as Americans? Write a strong thesis and develop it by relating examples from the book and responding to them.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)