|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say that people of color excel at, more so than any white person?
2. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
3. Who is the narrator for the first part of "Poor Richard"?
4. How does the narrator say that Puritans viewed the Indian?
5. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Williams' essay on Abraham Lincoln with his essay on George Washington. How are these two famous presidents similar? How are they different? Is there a difference in the way that Williams approaches writing about each of them? Draw on evidence from In the American Grain to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the story of Pere Rasles. Why do you think William Carlos Williams admires Rasles so much? Write an essay explaining Williams' admiration for Rasles, supporting your thesis with evidence from In the American Grain. Do not rely only on evidence that you can find in the chapter, Pere Sebastian Rasles--include evidence from other chapters as well.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Williams blames Cortez for the destruction of Tenochtitlan? Why or why not? Use evidence from the chapter to support your answer.
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)