|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say that people of color excel at, more so than any white person?
2. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
3. What does Williams say is the one thing that Americans fear more than anything else in the world?
4. What does the narrator say about Washington's attitude toward the presidency?
5. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you compare and contrast the characters of Thomas Morton and Cotton Mather. How are the two men similar? How are they different? Could they have gotten along if they had lived in the same community? Why or why not? Use evidence from In the American Grain to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you compare "The Voyage of the Mayflower" with "Cotton Mather's Wonders of the Invisible World." In "The Voyage of the Mayflower," Williams implies that Puritan values gave rise to the Salem witch trials. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from In the American Grain.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Williams' statement, "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care? History begins for us with murder and enslavement, not with discovery. No, we are not Indians but we are men of their world. The blood means nothing; the spirit, the ghost of the land moves in the blood, moves the blood." What does Williams mean? Do you agree with him or disagree? Write an essay in which you react to his statements.
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)