|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What category of people does Williams say that Houston fits into?
2. What virtue does the narrator say that Washington particularly valued in his troops?
3. What event has distracted historians from telling the whole story about Burr?
4. Who is the narrator for the second half of "Poor Richard"?
5. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Williams writes about three historical figures who admired Indians and who preferred living with Indians to living with white settlers. Who are those three figures? Write an essay in which you draw on details from each of their stories to explain why Williams so idolizes men who made this kind of choice.
Essay Topic 2
How does Williams regard America's Founding Fathers? Find the chapters in which Williams writes about some of the Founding Fathers and determine what characteristics of these men Williams admired, and what characteristics he regarded as pernicious. Then, write an essay describing Williams' attitude toward the Founding Fathers, drawing on the evidence that you collected to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Williams blames Cortez for the destruction of Tenochtitlan? Why or why not? Use evidence from the chapter to support your answer.
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)