|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe George Washington's character at the beginning of "George Washington"?
2. Who is the narrator for the first part of "Poor Richard"?
3. Who does the narrator say was the only American ever to see General Washington in a towering rage?
4. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
5. What does William Carlos Williams say is the most important thing to remember about people who are descended from Africans who were brought to the Americas in slavery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are the American Grain and the character of the New World identical, or are they different? Write an essay in which you explain how William Carlos Williams might answer this question. Support your answer with evidence from In the American Grain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Williams' essay on Abraham Lincoln with his essay on George Washington. How are these two famous presidents similar? How are they different? Is there a difference in the way that Williams approaches writing about each of them? Draw on evidence from In the American Grain to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the story of Pere Rasles. Why do you think William Carlos Williams admires Rasles so much? Write an essay explaining Williams' admiration for Rasles, supporting your thesis with evidence from In the American Grain. Do not rely only on evidence that you can find in the chapter, Pere Sebastian Rasles--include evidence from other chapters as well.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)