|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
2. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
3. What do you think that Williams means when he says that Lincoln's assassination shows the "brutalizing desolation of life in America up to that time"?
4. How does Jones feel about the battle?
5. What does Poe call Longfellow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Williams regard America's Founding Fathers? Find the chapters in which Williams writes about some of the Founding Fathers and determine what characteristics of these men Williams admired, and what characteristics he regarded as pernicious. Then, write an essay describing Williams' attitude toward the Founding Fathers, drawing on the evidence that you collected to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
What does Williams mean when he says that fear drove Benjamin Franklin's curiosity, that he built a nation based on the desire to huddle and protect? Write an essay explaining why you think Williams might feel this way. Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Williams blames Cortez for the destruction of Tenochtitlan? Why or why not? Use evidence from the chapter to support your answer.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)