|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Williams feel that women especially appreciated Burr?
2. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
3. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
4. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
5. What part of Poe's reputation does Williams say is undeserved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Williams' essay on Abraham Lincoln with his essay on George Washington. How are these two famous presidents similar? How are they different? Is there a difference in the way that Williams approaches writing about each of them? Draw on evidence from In the American Grain to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Does Williams admire Sir Walter Raleigh? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from In the American Grain.
Essay Topic 3
What does Williams mean when he says that fear drove Benjamin Franklin's curiosity, that he built a nation based on the desire to huddle and protect? Write an essay explaining why you think Williams might feel this way. Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)