|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say about Washington's attitude toward the presidency?
2. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
3. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
4. What does Williams admire about Poe's choice of words?
5. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are the American Grain and the character of the New World identical, or are they different? Write an essay in which you explain how William Carlos Williams might answer this question. Support your answer with evidence from In the American Grain.
Essay Topic 2
In the Introduction, Horace Gregory writes that "History is a humiliating subject for any man to think of knowing...The desire to know history is a near relative of the desire to know truth, and that is where, for most of us, a pit lies waiting." Does William Carlos Williams avoid the pit, or fall into it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you compare "The Voyage of the Mayflower" with "Cotton Mather's Wonders of the Invisible World." In "The Voyage of the Mayflower," Williams implies that Puritan values gave rise to the Salem witch trials. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from In the American Grain.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)