|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Poe's reputation does Williams say is undeserved?
2. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
3. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
4. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
5. Why does the narrator admire Pere Rasles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the story of Pere Rasles. Why do you think William Carlos Williams admires Rasles so much? Write an essay explaining Williams' admiration for Rasles, supporting your thesis with evidence from In the American Grain. Do not rely only on evidence that you can find in the chapter, Pere Sebastian Rasles--include evidence from other chapters as well.
Essay Topic 2
In the Introduction, Horace Gregory writes that "History is a humiliating subject for any man to think of knowing...The desire to know history is a near relative of the desire to know truth, and that is where, for most of us, a pit lies waiting." Does William Carlos Williams avoid the pit, or fall into it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Consider Williams' statement, "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care? History begins for us with murder and enslavement, not with discovery. No, we are not Indians but we are men of their world. The blood means nothing; the spirit, the ghost of the land moves in the blood, moves the blood." What does Williams mean? Do you agree with him or disagree? Write an essay in which you react to his statements.
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)