Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
2. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
3. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
4. When does Houston defeat Santa Ana?
5. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
Essay Topic 1
What does Williams mean when he says that fear drove Benjamin Franklin's curiosity, that he built a nation based on the desire to huddle and protect? Write an essay explaining why you think Williams might feel this way. Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In the Introduction, Horace Gregory writes that "History is a humiliating subject for any man to think of knowing...The desire to know history is a near relative of the desire to know truth, and that is where, for most of us, a pit lies waiting." Does William Carlos Williams avoid the pit, or fall into it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Consider In the American Grain as a whole. What do you think William Carlos Williams is trying to tell his readers about the American national character? Do you think Williams believes there is just one national character, or several? How was the national character shaped? What do most Americans believe about their own identities as Americans? Write a strong thesis and develop it by relating examples from the book and responding to them.
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)