|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is Mabilla?
2. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
3. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
4. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
5. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are De Soto's relations with the Indians like?
2. How did Cortez feel about burning Tenochtitlan?
3. How does Williams explain the fact that Aaron Burr was never made ambassador to France, even though he was recommended three times for the appointment, and that he was never made Brigadier General, even though he was ready for the post?
4. How is "De Soto and the New World" narrated?
5. Why do the Puritan leaders think that Thomas Morton should not barter in guns or liquor?
6. Why does Ponce de Leon forget his dog when he is driven away from Guadaloupe?
7. How did enslaved Africans react to the Christian religion, according to Williams?
8. How could Raleigh have avoided being beheaded?
9. Why does Williams find Champlain delightful?
10. What were the markets like in Tenochtitlan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are the American Grain and the character of the New World identical, or are they different? Write an essay in which you explain how William Carlos Williams might answer this question. Support your answer with evidence from In the American Grain.
Essay Topic 2
Aaron Burr appears in two of Williams' essays, "Jacataqua," and "The Virtue of History." Consider Aaron Burr's character in light of all that Williams says in "Jacataqua" about the American tendency to avoid touch, to be spiritually impoverished, and to keep women locked up by creating a culture in which women fear the loss of their virginity. Write an essay in which you judge Burr by the standards set forth in "Jacataqua." Support your thesis with evidence from both essays.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Williams blames Cortez for the destruction of Tenochtitlan? Why or why not? Use evidence from the chapter to support your answer.
This section contains 1,982 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)