|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
2. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
3. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
4. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
5. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ponce de Leon forget his dog when he is driven away from Guadaloupe?
2. How did enslaved Africans react to the Christian religion, according to Williams?
3. Why does Williams find Champlain delightful?
4. How does Williams think the rest of the world reacts when the United States sends aid overseas?
5. What were the markets like in Tenochtitlan?
6. How does Eric the Red feel about living in Greenland?
7. Why does Gregory think that history is important?
8. In his letter to Benjamin Franklin, why does John Paul Jones keep bringing up the conduct of Captain Landais?
9. What makes Houston a good example of someone who "came up from under"?
10. How does Williams explain the fact that Aaron Burr was never made ambassador to France, even though he was recommended three times for the appointment, and that he was never made Brigadier General, even though he was ready for the post?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Compare Williams' essay on Abraham Lincoln with his essay on George Washington. How are these two famous presidents similar? How are they different? Is there a difference in the way that Williams approaches writing about each of them? Draw on evidence from In the American Grain to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2Write an essay in which you analyze the structure that William uses to relate the story of Columbus and his voyages. Why does Williams alternate between his own point of view and that of Columbus? Why does he alternate between Columbus' experiences in the New World and his experiences in the Old? Explain.
Essay Topic 3Williams writes about three historical figures who admired Indians and who preferred living with Indians to living with white settlers. Who are those three figures? Write an essay in which you draw on details from each of their stories to explain why Williams so idolizes men who made this kind of choice.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)