|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do bows and arrows, corn meal, and belief in a second life all have in common, according to the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh"?
2. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
3. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
4. What does Cotton Mather say is the cause of the degeneracy of the New England community?
5. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George Washington not especially want to be President?
2. What do you think will happen to the "credulous and literal-minded" if they walk into the "ancient trap" that Gregory considers history to be?
3. How does Williams say that Boone differs from other settlers?
4. What is Ponce de Leon's dog doing when he is killed?
5. How does Eric the Red feel about living in Greenland?
6. Why does Gregory think that history is important?
7. What does the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh" imply when he exhorts the Muse to sing of "the pursuit of beauty and the husk that remains," or when he says that Raleigh's England became "a mouthful of smoke sucked from the embers of a burnt weed"?
8. What does Williams think that Benjamin Franklin would say are the most important American virtues? Does Williams agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
9. What were the markets like in Tenochtitlan?
10. Why did the English put a price on Pire Rasles' head? Why did they want him killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William Carlos Williams includes, as part of In the American Grain, several essays about historical figures who served in the military: George Washington, John Paul Jones, Aaron Burr, Alexander Hamilton. How does military life fit into the American Grain? Does military life only affect those who serve in the military, or is it also a part of being American for those who never do any military service? Write an essay responding to this question in which you cite the experiences of these four men as they are depicted in Williams' essays, and also draw upon your own experiences and values in contemporary America.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you compare "The Voyage of the Mayflower" with "Cotton Mather's Wonders of the Invisible World." In "The Voyage of the Mayflower," Williams implies that Puritan values gave rise to the Salem witch trials. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from In the American Grain.
Essay Topic 3
Does Williams admire Sir Walter Raleigh? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from In the American Grain.
This section contains 2,023 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)