Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ponce de Leon die?
2. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
3. What does Cotton Mather think about the gods of the Indian nations?
4. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
5. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did enslaved Africans react to the Christian religion, according to Williams?
2. Why does Houston leave the Cherokees after they have raised him? Why does he return to them?
3. What does the narrator say that the Puritans would see if they looked inside their hearts?
4. Why do the Puritan leaders think that Thomas Morton should not barter in guns or liquor?
5. What proof does Cotton Mather offer to show that witches can make themselves invisible?
6. Why does Ponce de Leon send women ashore when he first arrives in Guadaloupe?
7. What does Cotton Mather say went wrong before the witches appeared?
8. How could Raleigh have avoided being beheaded?
9. What do you think will happen to the "credulous and literal-minded" if they walk into the "ancient trap" that Gregory considers history to be?
10. What kind of person does Williams say that Daniel Boone is?
Essay Topic 1
Does Williams admire Sir Walter Raleigh? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from In the American Grain.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Williams blames Cortez for the destruction of Tenochtitlan? Why or why not? Use evidence from the chapter to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Williams writes about three historical figures who admired Indians and who preferred living with Indians to living with white settlers. Who are those three figures? Write an essay in which you draw on details from each of their stories to explain why Williams so idolizes men who made this kind of choice.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)