|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ponce de Leon die?
2. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
3. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
4. What is the overall tone of Williams' remarks about the Puritans?
5. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his letter to Benjamin Franklin, why does John Paul Jones keep bringing up the conduct of Captain Landais?
2. What is Ponce de Leon's dog doing when he is killed?
3. Does Williams blame Cortez for what happened to Tenochtitlan?
4. What does the narrator say that the Puritans would see if they looked inside their hearts?
5. How does Poe respond to his critics?
6. How does Williams think the rest of the world reacts when the United States sends aid overseas?
7. Why does Gregory think that history is important?
8. How did Freydis trick her husband? What happened as a result?
9. Why did Williams compare the Puritans to dwarves in fairy tales? What does he mean by this?
10. Why does George Washington not especially want to be President?
Essay Topic 1
In "Jacataqua," Williams argues that some kinds of violence are not crimes of passion, but rather are crimes of starvation -- spiritual starvation. Write an essay explaining Williams' views on spiritual poverty and wealth, and spiritual fullness and starvation. Use quotations from In the American Grain to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What does Williams mean when he says that fear drove Benjamin Franklin's curiosity, that he built a nation based on the desire to huddle and protect? Write an essay explaining why you think Williams might feel this way. Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Does Williams admire Sir Walter Raleigh? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from In the American Grain.
This section contains 1,883 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)