Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ponce de Leon die?
2. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
3. What does Cotton Mather think about the gods of the Indian nations?
4. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
5. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did enslaved Africans react to the Christian religion, according to Williams?
2. Why does Houston leave the Cherokees after they have raised him? Why does he return to them?
3. What does the narrator say that the Puritans would see if they looked inside their hearts?
4. Why do the Puritan leaders think that Thomas Morton should not barter in guns or liquor?
5. What proof does Cotton Mather offer to show that witches can make themselves invisible?
6. Why does Ponce de Leon send women ashore when he first arrives in Guadaloupe?
7. What does Cotton Mather say went wrong before the witches appeared?
8. How could Raleigh have avoided being beheaded?
9. What do you think will happen to the "credulous and literal-minded" if they walk into the "ancient trap" that Gregory considers history to be?
10. What kind of person does Williams say that Daniel Boone is?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you compare "The Voyage of the Mayflower" with "Cotton Mather's Wonders of the Invisible World." In "The Voyage of the Mayflower," Williams implies that Puritan values gave rise to the Salem witch trials. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from In the American Grain.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Williams' statement, "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care? History begins for us with murder and enslavement, not with discovery. No, we are not Indians but we are men of their world. The blood means nothing; the spirit, the ghost of the land moves in the blood, moves the blood." What does Williams mean? Do you agree with him or disagree? Write an essay in which you react to his statements.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you analyze the structure that William uses to relate the story of Columbus and his voyages. Why does Williams alternate between his own point of view and that of Columbus? Why does he alternate between Columbus' experiences in the New World and his experiences in the Old? Explain.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)