|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Williams feel that women especially appreciated Burr?
(a) Burr was well-educated and had a distinguished military record.
(b) Burr did not care about religion.
(c) Burr treated women with respect and wanted them to be free.
(d) Burr was extremely handsome and dashing.
2. What kind of position is Jones' squadron in when the battle begins?
(a) Jones has fewer ships, but is in a better position geographically than the enemy is.
(b) Jones has only three ships left and is at a severe disadvantage.
(c) Jones has 20 ships and is at a strong advantage.
(d) Jones has the same number of ships as the enemy.
3. What does Poe call Longfellow?
(a) An ignoramus.
(b) A plagiarist.
(c) A shyster.
(d) A thief.
4. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
5. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
(a) History is written by the victors.
(b) History is often bound by prejudice.
(c) History never lies.
(d) History never tells the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What category of people does Williams say that Houston fits into?
2. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
3. What does Williams say is the one thing that Americans fear more than anything else in the world?
4. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
5. What does Houston do after he resigns as Governor of Tennessee?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)