|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do you think that Williams means when he says that Lincoln's assassination shows the "brutalizing desolation of life in America up to that time"?
(a) Williams is referring to the desolate landscape that was left after many cities were burned during the Civil War.
(b) Williams is referring to the personal depression of many Americans during the Civil War.
(c) Williams is referring to the fact that few Americans lived to reach old age during Lincoln's day.
(d) Williams is referring to the violence of American life.
2. Who does the narrator say was the only American ever to see General Washington in a towering rage?
(a) General Lee.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Aaron Burr.
3. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
4. What does the narrator say about Washington's attitude toward the presidency?
(a) He felt it was his duty to serve.
(b) He craved power.
(c) He regretted not having a Parliament.
(d) He felt his terms of office were a failure.
5. What event in Poe's life trapped him in his poetry?
(a) The birth of his child.
(b) The death of his wife.
(c) The end of the war.
(d) The destruction of his home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Houston resign as Governor of Tennessee?
2. What kind of position is Jones' squadron in when the battle begins?
3. Why does the narrator admire Pere Rasles?
4. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
5. What virtue does the narrator say that Washington particularly valued in his troops?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)