|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who raises Sam Houston during the early years of his life?
(a) The Cherokee.
(b) The Winnebago.
(c) The Abnaki.
(d) The Tuscaloosa.
2. What happens to the barge that is towing John Paul Jones' ship?
(a) The barge is taken over by mutinous sailors.
(b) The barge sinks in a storm at sea.
(c) The bargemen cut the tow rope and steal the barge.
(d) The barge catches fire in the battle.
3. What virtue does the narrator say that Washington particularly valued in his troops?
(a) Hard work.
4. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
(a) Their firm vigor.
(b) Their resourcefulness.
(c) Their intellectual ability.
(d) Their tolerance of other religions.
5. Who does Lincoln say he owes everything he is or ever will be to?
(a) His loving sister.
(b) His devoted wife.
(c) His angel mother.
(d) His faithful housekeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe George Washington's character at the beginning of "George Washington"?
2. What famous ship does Williams say that a slave ship is the counterpart to?
3. What part of Poe's reputation does Williams say is undeserved?
4. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
5. Why does Williams feel that women especially appreciated Burr?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)