|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Founding Father refers to Aaron Burr as dangerous?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
2. What does Poe call Longfellow?
(a) A shyster.
(b) An ignoramus.
(c) A thief.
(d) A plagiarist.
3. Who does the narrator say was the only American ever to see General Washington in a towering rage?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Aaron Burr.
(d) General Lee.
4. What does William Carlos Williams say is the most important thing to remember about people who are descended from Africans who were brought to the Americas in slavery?
(a) They speak many different languages.
(b) They bring a certain quality to America with them.
(c) They were forced to endure inhumane conditions at sea.
(d) They have managed to thrive despite adversity.
5. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
(b) Americans only like to think about the future.
(c) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(d) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area does Boone discover, along with his brother, just before the American Revolution?
2. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
3. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
4. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
5. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)