|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
(a) Because M uses such original language.
(b) Because M is always so cheerful.
(c) Because M lives near a spring.
(d) Because M likes the rain in the spring.
2. What part of Poe's reputation does Williams say is undeserved?
(a) His reputation for the strange and macabre.
(b) His reputation for criticizing other writers.
(c) His reputation for eccentricity.
(d) His reputation for poetic braggadocio.
3. How does Jones say he reacted to the damage incurred by the Bon Homme Richard?
(a) He had the ship sunk on purpose because it was no longer able to sail.
(b) He immediately evacuated all his men and supplies off the ship.
(c) He made a few repairs and then decided to abandon ship.
(d) He tried his best to keep the ship afloat long enough to bring it into port.
4. What event in Poe's life trapped him in his poetry?
(a) The birth of his child.
(b) The death of his wife.
(c) The end of the war.
(d) The destruction of his home.
5. What famous ship does Williams say that a slave ship is the counterpart to?
(a) The Bon Homme Richard.
(b) The Serapis.
(c) The Mayflower.
(d) The Santa Maria.
Short Answer Questions
1. What moral weakness does the narrator comment on in Washington?
2. Who is the only person in America who can live a life of leisure, like a gentleman, according to an early American saying that Franklin mentions?
3. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
4. What event has distracted historians from telling the whole story about Burr?
5. What does Williams say that Lincoln finds no relief from?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)