|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Williams think that Burr did not get along with Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson?
(a) They campaigned against Burr when he ran for office.
(b) They had not gotten along since the first time they had met.
(c) They favored a stronger central government than he did.
(d) They did not approve of Burr's affairs with women.
2. How does the narrator say that Puritans viewed the Indian?
(a) As a degenerate.
(b) As a fellow Christian.
(c) As an unformed Puritan.
(d) As a savage devil.
3. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
(b) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(c) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
(d) Americans only like to think about the future.
4. What state does Houston become Governor of, and later serve as a U.S. Senator from?
(c) New Mexico.
5. What does Williams say that Americans think they will lose if they were ever to serve another person?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Landais' insubordination to John Paul Jones begin?
2. Why does Houston resign as Governor of Tennessee?
3. What famous ship does Williams say that a slave ship is the counterpart to?
4. Who is the only person in America who can live a life of leisure, like a gentleman, according to an early American saying that Franklin mentions?
5. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)