|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
(a) History never tells the truth.
(b) History never lies.
(c) History is often bound by prejudice.
(d) History is written by the victors.
2. How does Jones feel about the battle?
(a) He says that it is horrifying.
(b) He says that it is necessary.
(c) He says that it is beautiful.
(d) He says that it is exciting.
3. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(b) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
(c) Americans only like to think about the future.
(d) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
4. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
5. What does William Carlos Williams say is the most important thing to remember about people who are descended from Africans who were brought to the Americas in slavery?
(a) They bring a certain quality to America with them.
(b) They have managed to thrive despite adversity.
(c) They were forced to endure inhumane conditions at sea.
(d) They speak many different languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jones say he reacted to the damage incurred by the Bon Homme Richard?
2. What event has distracted historians from telling the whole story about Burr?
3. How does the narrator say that Puritans viewed the Indian?
4. What does Williams say that people of color excel at, more so than any white person?
5. Who does Lincoln say he owes everything he is or ever will be to?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)