|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
(b) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
(c) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(d) Americans only like to think about the future.
2. What does Williams say that many American crimes are caused by?
(a) Passion and anger.
(b) Cultural hatred.
(c) Spiritual starvation.
(d) Religious intolerance.
3. What does Williams say is the one thing that Americans fear more than anything else in the world?
4. What do Burr's critics say about him when he runs for office?
(a) He does not have enough experience or education.
(b) He is secretly a Royalist.
(c) He is frivolous and immoral.
(d) He is corrupt and would misuse power.
5. What virtue does the narrator say that Washington particularly valued in his troops?
(c) Hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jones feel about the battle?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes the narrator's experience of Paris?
3. Why does Houston resign as Governor of Tennessee?
4. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
5. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)