|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
(a) Because M uses such original language.
(b) Because M is always so cheerful.
(c) Because M likes the rain in the spring.
(d) Because M lives near a spring.
2. How does the narrator say that Puritans viewed the Indian?
(a) As an unformed Puritan.
(b) As a fellow Christian.
(c) As a degenerate.
(d) As a savage devil.
3. What do Burr's critics say about him when he runs for office?
(a) He does not have enough experience or education.
(b) He is frivolous and immoral.
(c) He is secretly a Royalist.
(d) He is corrupt and would misuse power.
4. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
(a) America does not have enough raw materials to do well at manufacturing any items of commercial value.
(b) Few ships travel to America, so manufacturers could not market their goods to foreign ports.
(c) There are no cities in America in which to build manufacturing plants.
(d) To do well in manufacturing, you need large numbers of poor people who are willing to work for low wages.
5. Why does Williams think that Burr did not get along with Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson?
(a) They had not gotten along since the first time they had met.
(b) They did not approve of Burr's affairs with women.
(c) They campaigned against Burr when he ran for office.
(d) They favored a stronger central government than he did.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator admire Pere Rasles?
2. Which Founding Father refers to Aaron Burr as dangerous?
3. Who does the narrator say was the only American ever to see General Washington in a towering rage?
4. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
5. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)