|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
(a) Her religious devotion.
(b) Her musical ability.
(c) Her creativity.
(d) Her courage.
2. What does the narrator say about Washington's attitude toward the presidency?
(a) He craved power.
(b) He felt it was his duty to serve.
(c) He regretted not having a Parliament.
(d) He felt his terms of office were a failure.
3. Which Founding Father refers to Aaron Burr as dangerous?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) James Madison.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
4. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
(a) They can move there and quickly be elected to political office.
(b) It is a dangerous place because there are so many Indian raids.
(c) It is very hard to earn a living by farming in America.
(d) Americans place a high value on leisure time and do not like to work.
5. What feature does Williams say most shapes Edgar Allen Poe's work?
(a) His ancestry.
(b) His religion.
(c) His education.
(d) His locality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes the narrator's experience of Paris?
2. Who does the narrator say was the only American ever to see General Washington in a towering rage?
3. What category of people does Williams say that Houston fits into?
4. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
5. Why does John Paul Jones write to Benjamin Franklin in "Battle Between the Bon Homme Richard and the Serapis"?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)