|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator admire Pere Rasles?
(a) He lived with the Abnaki Indians for 34 years.
(b) He converted many Puritans to Catholicism.
(c) He mapped the area where the Abnaki lived.
(d) He provided useful information to the English.
2. What category of people does Williams say that Houston fits into?
(a) Those who come up from under.
(b) Those who go under and then drown.
(c) Those who never struggle or try to succeed.
(d) Those who tread water their entire lives.
3. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
(a) It is very hard to earn a living by farming in America.
(b) It is a dangerous place because there are so many Indian raids.
(c) They can move there and quickly be elected to political office.
(d) Americans place a high value on leisure time and do not like to work.
4. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
5. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
(a) There are no cities in America in which to build manufacturing plants.
(b) Few ships travel to America, so manufacturers could not market their goods to foreign ports.
(c) To do well in manufacturing, you need large numbers of poor people who are willing to work for low wages.
(d) America does not have enough raw materials to do well at manufacturing any items of commercial value.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
2. What do you think that Williams means when he says that Lincoln's assassination shows the "brutalizing desolation of life in America up to that time"?
3. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
4. What does Williams say that Americans think they will lose if they were ever to serve another person?
5. Who does the narrator say was the only American ever to see General Washington in a towering rage?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)