|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
(a) Her religious devotion.
(b) Her creativity.
(c) Her musical ability.
(d) Her courage.
2. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
3. What does Williams say that many American crimes are caused by?
(a) Religious intolerance.
(b) Passion and anger.
(c) Spiritual starvation.
(d) Cultural hatred.
4. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
(a) He does not consider himself an American citizen.
(b) He is not afraid to go west into the wilderness.
(c) He is at war with the Indians he met.
(d) He started new communities wherever he went.
5. What do you think that Williams means when he says that Lincoln's assassination shows the "brutalizing desolation of life in America up to that time"?
(a) Williams is referring to the desolate landscape that was left after many cities were burned during the Civil War.
(b) Williams is referring to the violence of American life.
(c) Williams is referring to the personal depression of many Americans during the Civil War.
(d) Williams is referring to the fact that few Americans lived to reach old age during Lincoln's day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams admire about Poe's choice of words?
2. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
3. Who is the narrator for the first part of "Poor Richard"?
4. What feature does Williams say most shapes Edgar Allen Poe's work?
5. Why does Houston resign as Governor of Tennessee?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)