|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
2. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
(a) In the capital.
(c) Exploring the frontier.
(d) In the field with his troops.
3. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A woman.
(c) A scholar.
(d) A man.
4. When does Houston defeat Santa Ana?
(a) During the Civil War.
(b) During the Revolutionary War.
(c) During World War I.
(d) During the battle for Texan independence.
5. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
2. What event in Poe's life trapped him in his poetry?
3. How does Captain Landais' insubordination to John Paul Jones begin?
4. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
5. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)