|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
(a) Her religious devotion.
(b) Her creativity.
(c) Her courage.
(d) Her musical ability.
2. What does Williams say that many American crimes are caused by?
(a) Cultural hatred.
(b) Spiritual starvation.
(c) Passion and anger.
(d) Religious intolerance.
3. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
(a) A woman.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A scholar.
(d) A man.
4. Why does Houston resign as Governor of Tennessee?
(a) He wants to join the Army.
(b) He wants to move further to the West.
(c) He misses living with the Indians.
(d) His new wife leaves him after three months.
5. How does Williams say that intense emotions affect our perceptions of things?
(a) They make everything harder.
(b) They make everything better.
(c) They make everything confusing.
(d) They make everything larger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
2. What area does Boone discover, along with his brother, just before the American Revolution?
3. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
4. What does Williams say that Lincoln finds no relief from?
5. How does the narrator say that Puritans viewed the Indian?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)