Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ponce de Leon die?
(a) He is killed by his own men in a mutiny.
(b) He dies of old age.
(c) He is killed by an Indian arrow.
(d) He dies of disease.
2. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) His wife.
(b) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(c) The King and Queen of Spain.
(d) His family members in Europe.
3. What does Cotton Mather think about the gods of the Indian nations?
(a) He thinks that they are idols.
(b) He thinks that they are imaginary.
(c) He thinks that they are devils.
(d) He thinks that they are other gods.
4. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
(a) As beloved friends.
(b) As profane and lusty seamen.
(c) As a "race incapable of flower."
(d) As malfeasant ghosts.
5. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Evil and malicious.
(b) Deeply religious.
(c) Good-natured and affectionate.
(d) Rigid and formal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cotton Mather say that New England belonged to before the New Englanders lived there?
2. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
3. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
4. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
5. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did enslaved Africans react to the Christian religion, according to Williams?
2. Why does Houston leave the Cherokees after they have raised him? Why does he return to them?
3. What does the narrator say that the Puritans would see if they looked inside their hearts?
4. Why do the Puritan leaders think that Thomas Morton should not barter in guns or liquor?
5. What proof does Cotton Mather offer to show that witches can make themselves invisible?
6. Why does Ponce de Leon send women ashore when he first arrives in Guadaloupe?
7. What does Cotton Mather say went wrong before the witches appeared?
8. How could Raleigh have avoided being beheaded?
9. What do you think will happen to the "credulous and literal-minded" if they walk into the "ancient trap" that Gregory considers history to be?
10. What kind of person does Williams say that Daniel Boone is?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)