|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title does the narrator give Raleigh?
(a) The Hand of the Queen.
(b) The Sword of the Queen.
(c) The Breath of the Queen.
(d) The Heart of the Queen.
2. What kind of woman is Freydis?
3. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(b) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(c) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(d) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
4. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
(a) To find gold.
(b) To find the fountain of youth.
(c) To find new land for Spain.
(d) To find food and water.
5. Why does Queen Elizabeth call Raleigh back when he goes with the fleet to attack Spain?
(a) Because she intends to send him to the Americas instead.
(b) Because she is urgently in need of his advice.
(c) Because she has decided not to attack Spain.
(d) Because he has seduced one of her maids.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
2. Where does De Soto begin his journey into the North American mainland?
3. Why isn't the French Conquest as severe as the Spanish one?
4. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
5. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Columbus puzzled by the way the King and Queen treat him?
2. What do you think will happen to the "credulous and literal-minded" if they walk into the "ancient trap" that Gregory considers history to be?
3. Why did the English put a price on Pire Rasles' head? Why did they want him killed?
4. How does Williams say that Boone differs from other settlers?
5. Why does Houston leave the Cherokees after they have raised him? Why does he return to them?
6. Why does Ponce de Leon forget his dog when he is driven away from Guadaloupe?
7. What is the one moral failing that Williams mentions that George Washington has? How does this failing affect Washington?
8. Why does Ponce de Leon send women ashore when he first arrives in Guadaloupe?
9. What does William Carlos Williams think of Eric the Red? What kind of person does he think Eric is?
10. What does Williams think about Lincoln's assassin?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)