|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
(a) He wonders where the gold is.
(b) He thinks it is wonderful and magnificent.
(c) He mentally calculates the number of slaves that could be captured.
(d) He looks upon it as an impoverished village.
2. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
3. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
(a) An old woman.
(b) An old man.
(c) A child.
(d) One of his own men.
4. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
5. What does Cotton Mather think about the gods of the Indian nations?
(a) He thinks that they are other gods.
(b) He thinks that they are devils.
(c) He thinks that they are idols.
(d) He thinks that they are imaginary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
2. What adjective does Williams use to describe Champlain?
3. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
4. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
5. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cortez feel about burning Tenochtitlan?
2. Why do the Puritan leaders think that Thomas Morton should not barter in guns or liquor?
3. How does the cacique of Quigaltam react when De Soto tells him that De Soto is the "child of the sun" and must be obeyed and offered tribute?
4. How did Williams think that bodily suffering affected the Pilgrims?
5. Why does Williams find Champlain delightful?
6. What does Williams say is the reason Americans focus on science and inventions?
7. Why did Williams compare the Puritans to dwarves in fairy tales? What does he mean by this?
8. What is the one moral failing that Williams mentions that George Washington has? How does this failing affect Washington?
9. What is Champlain's reaction to hearing that there will be an attempt on his life?
10. What role does Williams say that Edgar Allen Poe plays in American literature?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)