|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what is Mabilla?
(a) The woman who traveled with De Soto and translated for him.
(b) The river along which De Soto and his men were traveling.
(c) The place Do Soto had heard of, called a "country toward the rising sun."
(d) The town where the Tuscaloosa attacked De Soto and his men.
2. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
(a) It is small and empty.
(b) It is large and generous.
(c) It is kind and warmhearted.
(d) It is rich and nourishing.
3. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
(a) Democracy and collective responsibility.
(b) Know-nothingism and opportunism.
(c) Creativity and genius.
(d) Inventiveness and resourcefulness.
4. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(b) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
(c) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
(d) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
5. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Puritans important, according to the narrator?
2. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
3. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
4. What is De Soto looking for?
5. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did William Carlos Williams think was most admirable about the Puritans?
2. What was Aaron Burr like, according to Williams?
3. Why does Ponce de Leon forget his dog when he is driven away from Guadaloupe?
4. Why did De Soto's men try to keep the Indians from finding out about his death?
5. Why do the Puritan leaders think that Thomas Morton should not barter in guns or liquor?
6. What does William Carlos Williams think of Eric the Red? What kind of person does he think Eric is?
7. Why does Gregory not fully appreciate the chapter on Cotton Mather?
8. Why does George Washington not especially want to be President?
9. How does Williams explain the fact that Aaron Burr was never made ambassador to France, even though he was recommended three times for the appointment, and that he was never made Brigadier General, even though he was ready for the post?
10. How does Poe respond to his critics?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)