|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the death of Juan Ortiz affect De Soto?
(a) It leaves him without a doctor.
(b) It leaves him without a translator.
(c) It makes him feel lonely and wish he had a friend.
(d) It leaves him without a single soldier who knows the way back.
2. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
3. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
(a) "One or the other of us had to die, under the natural circumstance."
(b) "Eric the Red is a marked man, beyond the law, so it would seem..."
(c) "...this is what they say: Eric, son of evil, come and be forgiven."
(d) "This is my portion. I do not call it not to my liking. Hardship lives in me."
4. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
(b) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
(c) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
(d) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
5. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(b) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(c) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
(d) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cotton Mather say that New England belonged to before the New Englanders lived there?
2. What does Cotton Mather say is the cause of the degeneracy of the New England community?
3. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
4. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
5. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eric the Red feel about living in Greenland?
2. What do you think will happen to the "credulous and literal-minded" if they walk into the "ancient trap" that Gregory considers history to be?
3. Why was Eric the Red exiled from Iceland?
4. How does Poe respond to his critics?
5. Why does Benjamin Franklin say that manufacturing is not a viable activity in the American economy?
6. Why does Williams find Champlain delightful?
7. How is Morton treated by his captors?
8. Gregory says that In the American Grain is not a historical textbook or book of essays. What is it?
9. How did Cortez feel about burning Tenochtitlan?
10. How did Freydis trick her husband? What happened as a result?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)