|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
2. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Rigid and formal.
(b) Good-natured and affectionate.
(c) Evil and malicious.
(d) Deeply religious.
3. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
(b) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
(c) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
(d) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
4. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
(a) Mock it.
(b) Shape it.
(c) Celebrate it.
(d) Criticize it.
5. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
(a) Handmade tools, sewing needles and tents.
(b) Berries, animal skins, and meat.
(c) Gold, silver, and pearls.
(d) Live pigs, horses, and dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cotton Mather think about the gods of the Indian nations?
2. What is the overall tone of Williams' remarks about the Puritans?
3. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
4. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
5. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ponce de Leon send women ashore when he first arrives in Guadaloupe?
2. Why did De Soto's men try to keep the Indians from finding out about his death?
3. What did William Carlos Williams think was most admirable about the Puritans?
4. Why does George Washington not especially want to be President?
5. Does Williams blame Cortez for what happened to Tenochtitlan?
6. How does Eric the Red feel about living in Greenland?
7. What does the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh" imply when he exhorts the Muse to sing of "the pursuit of beauty and the husk that remains," or when he says that Raleigh's England became "a mouthful of smoke sucked from the embers of a burnt weed"?
8. How does Williams think the rest of the world reacts when the United States sends aid overseas?
9. What proof does Cotton Mather offer to show that witches can make themselves invisible?
10. How does the cacique of Quigaltam react when De Soto tells him that De Soto is the "child of the sun" and must be obeyed and offered tribute?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)