|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
(a) He broke Queen Elizabeth's heart.
(b) He was an atheist.
(c) He sent his son on a mission that got him killed.
(d) He had no regard for the safety of his colonists.
2. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
(a) It became more popular as it was falling out of print.
(b) It became more popular when it was marketed more aggressively.
(c) It became more popular when it was published in a magazine.
(d) It became more popular after Williams died.
3. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
(b) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
(c) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
(d) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
4. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
(c) Anhaica Apalachi.
5. What prevents Raleigh from going to the Virginia colonies?
(a) His own death.
(b) The death of his wife.
(c) The death of his son.
(d) The death of the queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
2. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
3. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
4. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
5. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Eric the Red exiled from Iceland?
2. Why does Benjamin Franklin say that manufacturing is not a viable activity in the American economy?
3. What is Champlain's reaction to hearing that there will be an attempt on his life?
4. What were some of the dangers faced by sailors on ships during a battle at sea?
5. What was Raleigh's relationship with Queen Elizabeth?
6. What did William Carlos Williams think was most admirable about the Puritans?
7. How is "De Soto and the New World" narrated?
8. Why does George Washington not especially want to be President?
9. Why did Williams compare the Puritans to dwarves in fairy tales? What does he mean by this?
10. What do you think will happen to the "credulous and literal-minded" if they walk into the "ancient trap" that Gregory considers history to be?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)