|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cat.
(c) A bird.
(d) A snake.
2. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
(a) As profane and lusty seamen.
(b) As beloved friends.
(c) As a "race incapable of flower."
(d) As malfeasant ghosts.
3. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
(c) Anhaica Apalachi.
4. What are Bridget Bishop and Susanna Martin indicted for?
5. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
(a) He sent his son on a mission that got him killed.
(b) He was an atheist.
(c) He had no regard for the safety of his colonists.
(d) He broke Queen Elizabeth's heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time does Samuel de Champlain spend in North America before he is permitted to establish a French colony?
2. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
3. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
4. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
5. How does De Soto keep his men alive when the maize crop fails?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Champlain's reaction to hearing that there will be an attempt on his life?
2. What were the markets like in Tenochtitlan?
3. Why does Ponce de Leon forget his dog when he is driven away from Guadaloupe?
4. How did enslaved Africans react to the Christian religion, according to Williams?
5. Why did Ponce de Leon travel around the Caribbean? What was his business there?
6. Why did De Soto's men try to keep the Indians from finding out about his death?
7. What was Raleigh's relationship with Queen Elizabeth?
8. What is the one moral failing that Williams mentions that George Washington has? How does this failing affect Washington?
9. Why does Gregory not fully appreciate the chapter on Cotton Mather?
10. What does Williams think about Lincoln's assassin?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)