|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what is Mabilla?
(a) The place Do Soto had heard of, called a "country toward the rising sun."
(b) The river along which De Soto and his men were traveling.
(c) The woman who traveled with De Soto and translated for him.
(d) The town where the Tuscaloosa attacked De Soto and his men.
2. What does Cotton Mather say is the cause of the degeneracy of the New England community?
(a) People like Thomas Morton are undermining the values of the community.
(b) The Indians are setting a bad example for the colonists.
(c) The Devil is making one more try to debauch the Puritans.
(d) Children are becoming undisciplined and grow up to think they can do whatever they wish.
3. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
(a) He and his men win after a long battle.
(b) He is forced to negotiate a temporary treaty in order to escape with his life.
(c) He loses everything and has to flee with his men.
(d) He and his men defeat them easily.
4. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(b) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
(c) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
(d) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
5. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
(a) He negotiates a peace treaty that makes him equal to Cortez.
(b) He forces Cortez to accept Aztec authority.
(c) He fights against Cortez and dies.
(d) He makes Cortez the monarch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
2. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
3. What happens when Bridget Bishop attempts to plead not guilty?
4. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
5. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Montezuma's life like in the capital?
2. What were the markets like in Tenochtitlan?
3. How did Pire Rasles treat the Abnaki?
4. Why did De Soto's men try to keep the Indians from finding out about his death?
5. How is "De Soto and the New World" narrated?
6. What was shocking to the Puritans about slave society?
7. What did William Carlos Williams think was most admirable about the Puritans?
8. Does Williams blame Cortez for what happened to Tenochtitlan?
9. Why does Williams say that Mendelberg is like a woman as he conducts his orchestra? How is Lincoln like Mendelberg?
10. Why does Gregory think that history is important?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)