|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
(a) The female narrator.
(b) The male narrator.
(c) The Tuscaloosa.
(d) De Soto.
2. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
(a) Marry one of her maids.
(b) Join the crew of a ship heading to the Americas.
(c) Become a diplomat.
(d) Travel to Africa.
3. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) His wife.
(b) The King and Queen of Spain.
(c) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(d) His family members in Europe.
4. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
(b) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
(c) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
(d) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
5. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(b) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(d) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
2. Who or what is Mabilla?
3. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
4. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
5. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ponce de Leon forget his dog when he is driven away from Guadaloupe?
2. Does Williams blame Cortez for what happened to Tenochtitlan?
3. What are De Soto's relations with the Indians like?
4. Why did the English put a price on Pire Rasles' head? Why did they want him killed?
5. Why was Eric the Red exiled from Iceland?
6. How did Pire Rasles treat the Abnaki?
7. Gregory says that In the American Grain is not a historical textbook or book of essays. What is it?
8. Why does Williams say that Mendelberg is like a woman as he conducts his orchestra? How is Lincoln like Mendelberg?
9. What does the narrator say that the Puritans would see if they looked inside their hearts?
10. In his letter to Benjamin Franklin, why does John Paul Jones keep bringing up the conduct of Captain Landais?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)