|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
(a) Gold, silver, and pearls.
(b) Handmade tools, sewing needles and tents.
(c) Live pigs, horses, and dogs.
(d) Berries, animal skins, and meat.
2. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
(a) De Soto.
(b) The female narrator.
(c) The male narrator.
(d) The Tuscaloosa.
3. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
(b) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
(c) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
(d) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
4. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(b) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(c) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
(d) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
5. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
(a) It became more popular when it was published in a magazine.
(b) It became more popular as it was falling out of print.
(c) It became more popular when it was marketed more aggressively.
(d) It became more popular after Williams died.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
2. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
3. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
4. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
5. What adjective does Williams use to describe Champlain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Columbus puzzled by the way the King and Queen treat him?
2. How do Columbus' voyages east, returning to Spain, differ from his voyages west, heading to the New World?
3. What role does Williams say that Edgar Allen Poe plays in American literature?
4. Why did the English put a price on Pire Rasles' head? Why did they want him killed?
5. Why does Houston leave the Cherokees after they have raised him? Why does he return to them?
6. Why does Williams find Champlain delightful?
7. How did enslaved Africans react to the Christian religion, according to Williams?
8. Why does Benjamin Franklin say that manufacturing is not a viable activity in the American economy?
9. What does Williams say is the reason Americans focus on science and inventions?
10. Why does Ponce de Leon forget his dog when he is driven away from Guadaloupe?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)