|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
2. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(b) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(c) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
(d) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
3. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
(a) American literature.
(b) English literature.
(c) Modern literature.
(d) Classical literature.
4. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
(a) He sent his son on a mission that got him killed.
(b) He was an atheist.
(c) He had no regard for the safety of his colonists.
(d) He broke Queen Elizabeth's heart.
5. Which of the following is NOT a term used by the narrator to describe Queen Elizabeth?
(c) Fairy Queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
2. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
3. What is the moral of the story about the rough sailor who falls sick, dies, and is thrown overboard?
4. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
5. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh" imply when he exhorts the Muse to sing of "the pursuit of beauty and the husk that remains," or when he says that Raleigh's England became "a mouthful of smoke sucked from the embers of a burnt weed"?
2. What does Cotton Mather say went wrong before the witches appeared?
3. What was shocking to the Puritans about slave society?
4. How did Freydis trick her husband? What happened as a result?
5. What does the narrator say that the Puritans would see if they looked inside their hearts?
6. Why does Gregory not fully appreciate the chapter on Cotton Mather?
7. How does Poe respond to his critics?
8. How is Morton treated by his captors?
9. Why is Columbus puzzled by the way the King and Queen treat him?
10. What does Williams say is the reason Americans focus on science and inventions?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)