|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ponce de Leon die?
(a) He is killed by his own men in a mutiny.
(b) He dies of old age.
(c) He is killed by an Indian arrow.
(d) He dies of disease.
2. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
3. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
(a) Freydis is tried in criminal court and jailed for her actions.
(b) Freydis becomes a politician and the leader of her community.
(c) Freydis' family is always thought to be evil after that.
(d) Freydis is exiled from her community like Eric the Red.
4. How much time does Samuel de Champlain spend in North America before he is permitted to establish a French colony?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Ten years.
5. How does De Soto keep his men alive when the maize crop fails?
(a) He gives each man 1/2 pound of pork daily.
(b) He sends the men out to hunt and fish.
(c) He writes to Spain for help.
(d) He rations corn.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
2. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
3. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
4. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
5. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Williams think the rest of the world reacts when the United States sends aid overseas?
2. Why does Benjamin Franklin say that manufacturing is not a viable activity in the American economy?
3. What proof does Cotton Mather offer to show that witches can make themselves invisible?
4. Why does Williams describe the New World as a white flower that was to turn into a poisoned apple?
5. Why does the narrator hold Raleigh responsible for Raleigh's son's death?
6. Why did Williams compare the Puritans to dwarves in fairy tales? What does he mean by this?
7. How did Freydis trick her husband? What happened as a result?
8. What were the markets like in Tenochtitlan?
9. What are De Soto's relations with the Indians like?
10. How does the cacique of Quigaltam react when De Soto tells him that De Soto is the "child of the sun" and must be obeyed and offered tribute?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)