|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Freydis?
(a) Eric the Red's sister.
(b) Eric the Red's daughter.
(c) Eric the Red's lover.
(d) Eric the Red's wife.
2. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
(a) He has already accomplished all that he came for.
(b) He is not free to go, but goes anyway.
(c) He has been relieved of his job as Governor.
(d) He is independently wealthy and can do as he pleases.
3. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
(a) The Abenaki.
(b) The Inuit.
(c) The Iroquois.
(d) The Skrellings.
4. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' courage.
(b) Columbus' good judgment.
(c) Columbus' foolhardiness.
(d) Columbus' literary skill.
5. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
(a) Their imagination and ingenuity.
(b) Their devotion to religion.
(c) Their respect for authority.
(d) Their fierceness and hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
2. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
3. What does Cotton Mather say is the cause of the degeneracy of the New England community?
4. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
5. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cotton Mather say went wrong before the witches appeared?
2. How did Pire Rasles treat the Abnaki?
3. Why does the narrator hold Raleigh responsible for Raleigh's son's death?
4. How does Williams explain the fact that Aaron Burr was never made ambassador to France, even though he was recommended three times for the appointment, and that he was never made Brigadier General, even though he was ready for the post?
5. What does Williams think about Lincoln's assassin?
6. How does Williams think the rest of the world reacts when the United States sends aid overseas?
7. What was shocking to the Puritans about slave society?
8. Why does Gregory not fully appreciate the chapter on Cotton Mather?
9. Why does Williams say that Mendelberg is like a woman as he conducts his orchestra? How is Lincoln like Mendelberg?
10. Does Williams blame Cortez for what happened to Tenochtitlan?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)