|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Thomas Morton?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A colonist.
(c) A writer.
(d) A historian.
2. How does De Soto keep his men alive when the maize crop fails?
(a) He gives each man 1/2 pound of pork daily.
(b) He sends the men out to hunt and fish.
(c) He rations corn.
(d) He writes to Spain for help.
3. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
(a) As a land rich in mineral resources.
(b) As a wilderness full of savages.
(c) As a land of plenty.
(d) As a swamp-infested hell.
4. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
(a) He is not free to go, but goes anyway.
(b) He is independently wealthy and can do as he pleases.
(c) He has been relieved of his job as Governor.
(d) He has already accomplished all that he came for.
5. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
(a) Serve in the army.
(b) Serve on great councils.
(c) Go on voyages of exploration.
(d) Marry one of her maids.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
2. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
3. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
4. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
5. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Williams say that Mendelberg is like a woman as he conducts his orchestra? How is Lincoln like Mendelberg?
2. What does the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh" imply when he exhorts the Muse to sing of "the pursuit of beauty and the husk that remains," or when he says that Raleigh's England became "a mouthful of smoke sucked from the embers of a burnt weed"?
3. What are De Soto's relations with the Indians like?
4. How did Freydis trick her husband? What happened as a result?
5. Why did the English put a price on Pire Rasles' head? Why did they want him killed?
6. What does Williams think about Lincoln's assassin?
7. How does Eric the Red feel about living in Greenland?
8. What happens to Columbus' sailors when the weather is bad and the ships go through violent storms?
9. Why did Williams compare the Puritans to dwarves in fairy tales? What does he mean by this?
10. What were some of the dangers faced by sailors on ships during a battle at sea?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)