|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
(a) English literature.
(b) Classical literature.
(c) Modern literature.
(d) American literature.
2. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
3. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends poisoned food.
(b) He sends a threatening letter.
(c) He sends troops to attack.
(d) He sends gifts to Cortez.
4. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
(a) He negotiates a peace treaty that makes him equal to Cortez.
(b) He makes Cortez the monarch.
(c) He forces Cortez to accept Aztec authority.
(d) He fights against Cortez and dies.
5. What is the moral of the story about the lusty young man who fell overboard and was hauled back in?
(a) It is good to have friends who can help you when you need it.
(b) Tenacity and determination can save your life.
(c) It is important to pay attention so that you are not swept overboard.
(d) Faith and hope can see you through even tough times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
2. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
3. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
4. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
5. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Williams describe the New World as a white flower that was to turn into a poisoned apple?
2. Gregory says that In the American Grain is not a historical textbook or book of essays. What is it?
3. What does the narrator say that the Puritans would see if they looked inside their hearts?
4. How did Pire Rasles treat the Abnaki?
5. What was Raleigh's relationship with Queen Elizabeth?
6. Why does Houston leave the Cherokees after they have raised him? Why does he return to them?
7. What does William Carlos Williams think of Eric the Red? What kind of person does he think Eric is?
8. What was Aaron Burr like, according to Williams?
9. What were the markets like in Tenochtitlan?
10. What were some of the dangers faced by sailors on ships during a battle at sea?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)