|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
(a) He looks upon it as an impoverished village.
(b) He wonders where the gold is.
(c) He mentally calculates the number of slaves that could be captured.
(d) He thinks it is wonderful and magnificent.
2. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
(a) To demonstrate that history must judge the actions of historical figures.
(b) To show the lyricism of Williams' prose.
(c) To suggest that even Williams cannot answer all of history's questions.
(d) To prove that Walter Raleigh was a coward.
3. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
(a) It is small and empty.
(b) It is rich and nourishing.
(c) It is kind and warmhearted.
(d) It is large and generous.
4. What are Bridget Bishop and Susanna Martin indicted for?
5. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(b) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(c) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(d) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
2. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
3. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
4. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
5. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Williams say is the reason Americans focus on science and inventions?
2. What role does Williams say that Edgar Allen Poe plays in American literature?
3. How did Freydis trick her husband? What happened as a result?
4. How did Williams think that bodily suffering affected the Pilgrims?
5. Does Williams blame Cortez for what happened to Tenochtitlan?
6. How does Poe respond to his critics?
7. What does Williams think that Benjamin Franklin would say are the most important American virtues? Does Williams agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
8. Why does Ponce de Leon send women ashore when he first arrives in Guadaloupe?
9. Why does George Washington not especially want to be President?
10. What does Cotton Mather say went wrong before the witches appeared?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)