|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
(b) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(c) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
(d) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
2. What does Cotton Mather think about the gods of the Indian nations?
(a) He thinks that they are imaginary.
(b) He thinks that they are other gods.
(c) He thinks that they are devils.
(d) He thinks that they are idols.
3. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
(a) Only staying at home can free you to travel elsewhere.
(b) To be free you have to break apart from your background and upbringing.
(c) To be truly free, you have to be true to yourself and your heritage.
(d) Freedom is based on ideas, not experiences.
4. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
(a) As a wilderness full of savages.
(b) As a land rich in mineral resources.
(c) As a land of plenty.
(d) As a swamp-infested hell.
5. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(b) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(c) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
(d) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
2. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
3. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
4. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
5. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gregory says that In the American Grain is not a historical textbook or book of essays. What is it?
2. Why do the Puritan leaders think that Thomas Morton should not barter in guns or liquor?
3. Why did De Soto's men try to keep the Indians from finding out about his death?
4. Does Williams blame Cortez for what happened to Tenochtitlan?
5. How does Poe respond to his critics?
6. How is Morton treated by his captors?
7. Why does Williams find Champlain delightful?
8. What is Ponce de Leon's dog doing when he is killed?
9. What was shocking to the Puritans about slave society?
10. What happens to Columbus' sailors when the weather is bad and the ships go through violent storms?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)