|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
(a) It is large and generous.
(b) It is rich and nourishing.
(c) It is kind and warmhearted.
(d) It is small and empty.
2. Who is Freydis?
(a) Eric the Red's wife.
(b) Eric the Red's lover.
(c) Eric the Red's sister.
(d) Eric the Red's daughter.
3. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
(a) English literature.
(b) Modern literature.
(c) American literature.
(d) Classical literature.
4. Why does Queen Elizabeth call Raleigh back when he goes with the fleet to attack Spain?
(a) Because she has decided not to attack Spain.
(b) Because she is urgently in need of his advice.
(c) Because she intends to send him to the Americas instead.
(d) Because he has seduced one of her maids.
5. Who is Thomas Morton?
(a) A historian.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A colonist.
(d) A writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
2. Which of the following is one of the goals, listed by Cotton Mather, that the Puritans have in mind when they found their colonies?
3. Who does the narrator address "Sir Walter Raleigh" to?
4. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
5. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the cacique of Quigaltam react when De Soto tells him that De Soto is the "child of the sun" and must be obeyed and offered tribute?
2. What was Aaron Burr like, according to Williams?
3. What is the one moral failing that Williams mentions that George Washington has? How does this failing affect Washington?
4. Why does the narrator hold Raleigh responsible for Raleigh's son's death?
5. What does William Carlos Williams think of Eric the Red? What kind of person does he think Eric is?
6. How is Morton treated by his captors?
7. How could Raleigh have avoided being beheaded?
8. What was shocking to the Puritans about slave society?
9. How did Pire Rasles treat the Abnaki?
10. What does Williams think that Benjamin Franklin would say are the most important American virtues? Does Williams agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)