|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends gifts to Cortez.
(b) He sends poisoned food.
(c) He sends a threatening letter.
(d) He sends troops to attack.
2. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
(a) Freedom is based on ideas, not experiences.
(b) To be free you have to break apart from your background and upbringing.
(c) To be truly free, you have to be true to yourself and your heritage.
(d) Only staying at home can free you to travel elsewhere.
3. How does Ponce de Leon die?
(a) He dies of disease.
(b) He dies of old age.
(c) He is killed by an Indian arrow.
(d) He is killed by his own men in a mutiny.
4. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
(a) The Inuit.
(b) The Abenaki.
(c) The Iroquois.
(d) The Skrellings.
5. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their spirit.
(b) Their toughness.
(c) Their warmth.
(d) Their intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
2. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
3. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
4. What do bows and arrows, corn meal, and belief in a second life all have in common, according to the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh"?
5. What does Cotton Mather think about the gods of the Indian nations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does William Carlos Williams think of Eric the Red? What kind of person does he think Eric is?
2. How did Cortez feel about burning Tenochtitlan?
3. What was Raleigh's relationship with Queen Elizabeth?
4. Why does Williams find Champlain delightful?
5. Why does the narrator hold Raleigh responsible for Raleigh's son's death?
6. How does the cacique of Quigaltam react when De Soto tells him that De Soto is the "child of the sun" and must be obeyed and offered tribute?
7. Gregory says that In the American Grain is not a historical textbook or book of essays. What is it?
8. How did Freydis trick her husband? What happened as a result?
9. What kind of person does Williams say that Daniel Boone is?
10. What was Aaron Burr like, according to Williams?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)