|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
(a) To find the fountain of youth.
(b) To find new land for Spain.
(c) To find food and water.
(d) To find gold.
2. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
(a) No, but at least the voyages do not harm him financially.
(b) No, he is left financially ruined and impoverished.
(c) Yes, he is rewarded with all the gold he could ever want.
(d) Yes, he is able to sell many things that he took from the islands.
3. How does the death of Juan Ortiz affect De Soto?
(a) It leaves him without a doctor.
(b) It makes him feel lonely and wish he had a friend.
(c) It leaves him without a single soldier who knows the way back.
(d) It leaves him without a translator.
4. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
5. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
(a) It became more popular when it was marketed more aggressively.
(b) It became more popular as it was falling out of print.
(c) It became more popular when it was published in a magazine.
(d) It became more popular after Williams died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Thomas Morton?
2. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
3. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
4. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
5. What is the overall tone of Williams' remarks about the Puritans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Eric the Red exiled from Iceland?
2. What does the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh" imply when he exhorts the Muse to sing of "the pursuit of beauty and the husk that remains," or when he says that Raleigh's England became "a mouthful of smoke sucked from the embers of a burnt weed"?
3. Why does Ponce de Leon send women ashore when he first arrives in Guadaloupe?
4. Does Williams blame Cortez for what happened to Tenochtitlan?
5. What role does Williams say that Edgar Allen Poe plays in American literature?
6. In his letter to Benjamin Franklin, why does John Paul Jones keep bringing up the conduct of Captain Landais?
7. Why does George Washington not especially want to be President?
8. Why did De Soto's men try to keep the Indians from finding out about his death?
9. Why did the English put a price on Pire Rasles' head? Why did they want him killed?
10. Why did Ponce de Leon travel around the Caribbean? What was his business there?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)