|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
(a) It became more popular as it was falling out of print.
(b) It became more popular when it was published in a magazine.
(c) It became more popular after Williams died.
(d) It became more popular when it was marketed more aggressively.
2. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
(b) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(c) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
(d) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
3. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Cotton Mather.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Aaron Burr.
4. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
(a) Their fierceness and hard work.
(b) Their respect for authority.
(c) Their devotion to religion.
(d) Their imagination and ingenuity.
5. Which of the following is one of the goals, listed by Cotton Mather, that the Puritans have in mind when they found their colonies?
(a) They want to know that every child, rich or poor, in the community would be able to read the Bible.
(b) They want to be sure that every person in the community went to church every Sunday.
(c) They want to be certain that every person in the community had enough to eat and drink.
(d) They want a man to be able to spend seven years in the community and be able to say that he had not heard one oath sworn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why isn't the French Conquest as severe as the Spanish one?
2. Why does Queen Elizabeth call Raleigh back when he goes with the fleet to attack Spain?
3. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
4. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
5. Who or what is Mabilla?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ponce de Leon send women ashore when he first arrives in Guadaloupe?
2. Why does Williams find Champlain delightful?
3. What makes Houston a good example of someone who "came up from under"?
4. What are De Soto's relations with the Indians like?
5. How did Pire Rasles treat the Abnaki?
6. Why did De Soto's men try to keep the Indians from finding out about his death?
7. Why did Ponce de Leon travel around the Caribbean? What was his business there?
8. What were the markets like in Tenochtitlan?
9. Why does Benjamin Franklin say that manufacturing is not a viable activity in the American economy?
10. What is the one moral failing that Williams mentions that George Washington has? How does this failing affect Washington?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)