|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe George Washington's character at the beginning of "George Washington"?
(a) He says that Washington was ambitious.
(b) He says that Washington was corrupted by power.
(c) He says that Washington was a good man.
(d) He says that Washington rarely told the truth.
2. What area does Boone discover, along with his brother, just before the American Revolution?
3. What virtue does the narrator say that Washington particularly valued in his troops?
(a) Hard work.
4. What do you think that Williams means when he says that Lincoln's assassination shows the "brutalizing desolation of life in America up to that time"?
(a) Williams is referring to the personal depression of many Americans during the Civil War.
(b) Williams is referring to the fact that few Americans lived to reach old age during Lincoln's day.
(c) Williams is referring to the desolate landscape that was left after many cities were burned during the Civil War.
(d) Williams is referring to the violence of American life.
5. How does Williams say that intense emotions affect our perceptions of things?
(a) They make everything confusing.
(b) They make everything harder.
(c) They make everything larger.
(d) They make everything better.
6. Which Founding Father refers to Aaron Burr as dangerous?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) James Madison.
7. What does Houston do after he resigns as Governor of Tennessee?
(a) He goes West to explore.
(b) He settled down on a homestead and built a house.
(c) He joins the Indians who had been relocated to Arkansas.
(d) He decides to go back to school.
8. What does Williams say that Americans think they will lose if they were ever to serve another person?
9. What moral weakness does the narrator comment on in Washington?
(a) His fondness for women.
(b) His laziness.
(c) His tendency to drink too much.
(d) His refusal to free his slaves.
10. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
(a) Few ships travel to America, so manufacturers could not market their goods to foreign ports.
(b) America does not have enough raw materials to do well at manufacturing any items of commercial value.
(c) To do well in manufacturing, you need large numbers of poor people who are willing to work for low wages.
(d) There are no cities in America in which to build manufacturing plants.
11. Which of the following adjectives best describes the narrator's experience of Paris?
12. What category of people does Williams say that Houston fits into?
(a) Those who go under and then drown.
(b) Those who never struggle or try to succeed.
(c) Those who tread water their entire lives.
(d) Those who come up from under.
13. What does Williams say that Lincoln finds no relief from?
14. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
15. How does Jones feel about the battle?
(a) He says that it is necessary.
(b) He says that it is beautiful.
(c) He says that it is horrifying.
(d) He says that it is exciting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say is the one thing that Americans fear more than anything else in the world?
2. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
3. What does Poe call Longfellow?
4. Why does Lincoln borrow a neighbor's baby?
5. What part of Poe's reputation does Williams say is undeserved?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)