|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Lincoln say he owes everything he is or ever will be to?
(a) His angel mother.
(b) His faithful housekeeper.
(c) His loving sister.
(d) His devoted wife.
2. Why does John Paul Jones write to Benjamin Franklin in "Battle Between the Bon Homme Richard and the Serapis"?
(a) To explain the circumstances leading up to the loss of a ship.
(b) To explain how ships could be better maintained so that they are more resistant to fires.
(c) To explain the outcome of a recent battle.
(d) To explain why he feels that naval policy should be changed.
3. When does Houston defeat Santa Ana?
(a) During the Civil War.
(b) During World War I.
(c) During the Revolutionary War.
(d) During the battle for Texan independence.
4. What do Burr's critics say about him when he runs for office?
(a) He is corrupt and would misuse power.
(b) He is frivolous and immoral.
(c) He is secretly a Royalist.
(d) He does not have enough experience or education.
5. Why does the narrator admire Pere Rasles?
(a) He mapped the area where the Abnaki lived.
(b) He lived with the Abnaki Indians for 34 years.
(c) He converted many Puritans to Catholicism.
(d) He provided useful information to the English.
6. What does Williams say that Americans think they will lose if they were ever to serve another person?
7. How does Jones say he reacted to the damage incurred by the Bon Homme Richard?
(a) He made a few repairs and then decided to abandon ship.
(b) He immediately evacuated all his men and supplies off the ship.
(c) He tried his best to keep the ship afloat long enough to bring it into port.
(d) He had the ship sunk on purpose because it was no longer able to sail.
8. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
9. What does Williams say that people of color excel at, more so than any white person?
(a) Dancing and playing sports.
(b) Cleanliness and picking out beautiful fabrics to wear.
(c) Cooking and planning a gourmet menu.
(d) Singing jazz music and spirituals.
10. What does Jacataqua ask Aaron Burr to do?
(a) Hunt with her.
(b) Fight. with her.
(c) Eat with her.
(d) Sleep with her.
11. How does Williams say that intense emotions affect our perceptions of things?
(a) They make everything confusing.
(b) They make everything harder.
(c) They make everything better.
(d) They make everything larger.
12. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
13. What part of Poe's reputation does Williams say is undeserved?
(a) His reputation for eccentricity.
(b) His reputation for poetic braggadocio.
(c) His reputation for criticizing other writers.
(d) His reputation for the strange and macabre.
14. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
(a) He does not consider himself an American citizen.
(b) He is not afraid to go west into the wilderness.
(c) He is at war with the Indians he met.
(d) He started new communities wherever he went.
15. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
Short Answer Questions
1. What area does Boone discover, along with his brother, just before the American Revolution?
2. What does Williams admire about Poe's choice of words?
3. What does Houston do after he resigns as Governor of Tennessee?
4. Who does the narrator say was the only American ever to see General Washington in a towering rage?
5. How does Jones feel about the battle?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)