|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state does Houston become Governor of, and later serve as a U.S. Senator from?
(c) New Mexico.
2. What does Williams say that people of color excel at, more so than any white person?
(a) Cooking and planning a gourmet menu.
(b) Cleanliness and picking out beautiful fabrics to wear.
(c) Singing jazz music and spirituals.
(d) Dancing and playing sports.
3. What does Williams compare the various incidents of Lincoln's life to?
(a) Instruments playing in an orchestra.
(b) Dancers doing a series of intricately choreographed steps.
(c) Ridges of a sculpture that should be made of Lincoln.
(d) Lines in a carefully crafted poem.
4. How does Captain Landais' insubordination to John Paul Jones begin?
(a) He accuses Jones of not taking into consideration the needs of the men on board.
(b) He accuses Jones of failing to pursue the enemy as vigorously as possible.
(c) He accuses Jones of treason.
(d) He accuses Jones of losing the barge by taking unnecessary chances with the boats.
5. How does Jones say he reacted to the damage incurred by the Bon Homme Richard?
(a) He tried his best to keep the ship afloat long enough to bring it into port.
(b) He immediately evacuated all his men and supplies off the ship.
(c) He had the ship sunk on purpose because it was no longer able to sail.
(d) He made a few repairs and then decided to abandon ship.
6. What area does Boone discover, along with his brother, just before the American Revolution?
7. When does Houston defeat Santa Ana?
(a) During the battle for Texan independence.
(b) During World War I.
(c) During the Revolutionary War.
(d) During the Civil War.
8. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans only like to think about the future.
(b) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
(c) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(d) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
9. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
(a) He started new communities wherever he went.
(b) He is not afraid to go west into the wilderness.
(c) He is at war with the Indians he met.
(d) He does not consider himself an American citizen.
10. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
11. What does the narrator say about Washington's attitude toward the presidency?
(a) He felt his terms of office were a failure.
(b) He craved power.
(c) He felt it was his duty to serve.
(d) He regretted not having a Parliament.
12. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
13. Who is the only person in America who can live a life of leisure, like a gentleman, according to an early American saying that Franklin mentions?
(a) A hog.
(b) A housewife.
(c) The President.
(d) A child.
14. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
(a) A scholar.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A woman.
(d) A man.
15. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say that Lincoln finds no relief from?
2. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
3. What does Poe call Longfellow?
4. What kind of position is Jones' squadron in when the battle begins?
5. Who is the narrator for the second half of "Poor Richard"?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)