|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
(a) They can move there and quickly be elected to political office.
(b) It is very hard to earn a living by farming in America.
(c) Americans place a high value on leisure time and do not like to work.
(d) It is a dangerous place because there are so many Indian raids.
2. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
3. What does Poe call Longfellow?
(a) An ignoramus.
(b) A plagiarist.
(c) A shyster.
(d) A thief.
4. Why does Williams feel that women especially appreciated Burr?
(a) Burr was extremely handsome and dashing.
(b) Burr was well-educated and had a distinguished military record.
(c) Burr treated women with respect and wanted them to be free.
(d) Burr did not care about religion.
5. What do you think that Williams means when he says that Lincoln's assassination shows the "brutalizing desolation of life in America up to that time"?
(a) Williams is referring to the desolate landscape that was left after many cities were burned during the Civil War.
(b) Williams is referring to the fact that few Americans lived to reach old age during Lincoln's day.
(c) Williams is referring to the personal depression of many Americans during the Civil War.
(d) Williams is referring to the violence of American life.
6. What event has distracted historians from telling the whole story about Burr?
(a) The American Revolution.
(b) The duel with Alexander Hamilton.
(c) The French and Indian War.
(d) Shea's rebellion.
7. What does Williams say that Lincoln finds no relief from?
8. What happens to the barge that is towing John Paul Jones' ship?
(a) The barge sinks in a storm at sea.
(b) The barge catches fire in the battle.
(c) The barge is taken over by mutinous sailors.
(d) The bargemen cut the tow rope and steal the barge.
9. How does Williams say that intense emotions affect our perceptions of things?
(a) They make everything better.
(b) They make everything larger.
(c) They make everything confusing.
(d) They make everything harder.
10. Which Founding Father refers to Aaron Burr as dangerous?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) James Madison.
11. What famous ship does Williams say that a slave ship is the counterpart to?
(a) The Santa Maria.
(b) The Bon Homme Richard.
(c) The Mayflower.
(d) The Serapis.
12. What part of Poe's reputation does Williams say is undeserved?
(a) His reputation for the strange and macabre.
(b) His reputation for eccentricity.
(c) His reputation for poetic braggadocio.
(d) His reputation for criticizing other writers.
13. Why does the narrator admire Pere Rasles?
(a) He mapped the area where the Abnaki lived.
(b) He provided useful information to the English.
(c) He converted many Puritans to Catholicism.
(d) He lived with the Abnaki Indians for 34 years.
14. What kind of position is Jones' squadron in when the battle begins?
(a) Jones has the same number of ships as the enemy.
(b) Jones has 20 ships and is at a strong advantage.
(c) Jones has only three ships left and is at a severe disadvantage.
(d) Jones has fewer ships, but is in a better position geographically than the enemy is.
15. How does the narrator say that Puritans viewed the Indian?
(a) As a savage devil.
(b) As a degenerate.
(c) As a fellow Christian.
(d) As an unformed Puritan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lincoln say he owes everything he is or ever will be to?
2. How does the narrator describe George Washington's character at the beginning of "George Washington"?
3. Who is the narrator for the second half of "Poor Richard"?
4. What state does Houston become Governor of, and later serve as a U.S. Senator from?
5. Why does Houston resign as Governor of Tennessee?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)