Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
2. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
(a) In the capital.
(c) Exploring the frontier.
(d) In the field with his troops.
3. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A woman.
(c) A scholar.
(d) A man.
4. When does Houston defeat Santa Ana?
(a) During the Civil War.
(b) During the Revolutionary War.
(c) During World War I.
(d) During the battle for Texan independence.
5. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
6. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
7. What event in Poe's life trapped him in his poetry?
(a) The birth of his child.
(b) The destruction of his home.
(c) The death of his wife.
(d) The end of the war.
8. How does Captain Landais' insubordination to John Paul Jones begin?
(a) He accuses Jones of failing to pursue the enemy as vigorously as possible.
(b) He accuses Jones of losing the barge by taking unnecessary chances with the boats.
(c) He accuses Jones of treason.
(d) He accuses Jones of not taking into consideration the needs of the men on board.
9. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
(a) History never tells the truth.
(b) History is often bound by prejudice.
(c) History is written by the victors.
(d) History never lies.
10. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
(b) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(c) Americans only like to think about the future.
(d) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
11. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
12. What do Burr's critics say about him when he runs for office?
(a) He is frivolous and immoral.
(b) He is secretly a Royalist.
(c) He does not have enough experience or education.
(d) He is corrupt and would misuse power.
13. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
14. Which of the following adjectives best describes the narrator's experience of Paris?
15. How does Jones say he reacted to the damage incurred by the Bon Homme Richard?
(a) He tried his best to keep the ship afloat long enough to bring it into port.
(b) He had the ship sunk on purpose because it was no longer able to sail.
(c) He immediately evacuated all his men and supplies off the ship.
(d) He made a few repairs and then decided to abandon ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say that Lincoln finds no relief from?
2. Why does Williams think that Burr did not get along with Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson?
3. Why does Williams feel that women especially appreciated Burr?
4. What event has distracted historians from telling the whole story about Burr?
5. What happens to Pere Rasles?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)