|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
(a) Drive to develop land for investment purposes.
(b) Lack of concern for his own safety.
(c) An appreciation for solitude.
(d) Desire to earn money.
2. Why does Williams feel that women especially appreciated Burr?
(a) Burr did not care about religion.
(b) Burr was extremely handsome and dashing.
(c) Burr treated women with respect and wanted them to be free.
(d) Burr was well-educated and had a distinguished military record.
3. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
4. Who is the only person in America who can live a life of leisure, like a gentleman, according to an early American saying that Franklin mentions?
(a) The President.
(b) A hog.
(c) A child.
(d) A housewife.
5. How does Jones feel about the battle?
(a) He says that it is horrifying.
(b) He says that it is exciting.
(c) He says that it is necessary.
(d) He says that it is beautiful.
6. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
7. Who raises Sam Houston during the early years of his life?
(a) The Cherokee.
(b) The Abnaki.
(c) The Winnebago.
(d) The Tuscaloosa.
8. What does Williams compare the various incidents of Lincoln's life to?
(a) Ridges of a sculpture that should be made of Lincoln.
(b) Lines in a carefully crafted poem.
(c) Dancers doing a series of intricately choreographed steps.
(d) Instruments playing in an orchestra.
9. Why does Houston resign as Governor of Tennessee?
(a) He wants to move further to the West.
(b) His new wife leaves him after three months.
(c) He misses living with the Indians.
(d) He wants to join the Army.
10. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
(a) There are no cities in America in which to build manufacturing plants.
(b) Few ships travel to America, so manufacturers could not market their goods to foreign ports.
(c) To do well in manufacturing, you need large numbers of poor people who are willing to work for low wages.
(d) America does not have enough raw materials to do well at manufacturing any items of commercial value.
11. What happens to Pere Rasles?
(a) He dies peacefully of old age.
(b) He is assassinated by the English.
(c) He is killed by the Abnaki.
(d) He is killed by enemies of the Abnaki.
12. What category of people does Williams say that Houston fits into?
(a) Those who go under and then drown.
(b) Those who come up from under.
(c) Those who never struggle or try to succeed.
(d) Those who tread water their entire lives.
13. Why does John Paul Jones write to Benjamin Franklin in "Battle Between the Bon Homme Richard and the Serapis"?
(a) To explain how ships could be better maintained so that they are more resistant to fires.
(b) To explain the outcome of a recent battle.
(c) To explain why he feels that naval policy should be changed.
(d) To explain the circumstances leading up to the loss of a ship.
14. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
(a) Her musical ability.
(b) Her religious devotion.
(c) Her creativity.
(d) Her courage.
15. What does Williams admire about Poe's choice of words?
(a) Poe's words carry shades of other meanings that come from their usage elsewhere.
(b) Poe's words can be recognized out of context because they are so original.
(c) Poe's words are not associated with anything else but thoughts and ideas.
(d) Poe's words are beautiful to listen to if you read them out loud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
2. What do you think that Williams means when he says that Lincoln's assassination shows the "brutalizing desolation of life in America up to that time"?
3. How does the narrator describe George Washington's character at the beginning of "George Washington"?
4. What kind of position is Jones' squadron in when the battle begins?
5. Why does the narrator admire Pere Rasles?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)