|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the barge that is towing John Paul Jones' ship?
(a) The barge catches fire in the battle.
(b) The bargemen cut the tow rope and steal the barge.
(c) The barge sinks in a storm at sea.
(d) The barge is taken over by mutinous sailors.
2. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A scholar.
(c) A man.
(d) A woman.
3. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
4. What area does Boone discover, along with his brother, just before the American Revolution?
5. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
(a) Drive to develop land for investment purposes.
(b) Desire to earn money.
(c) An appreciation for solitude.
(d) Lack of concern for his own safety.
6. What does Jacataqua ask Aaron Burr to do?
(a) Eat with her.
(b) Hunt with her.
(c) Sleep with her.
(d) Fight. with her.
7. Why does Houston resign as Governor of Tennessee?
(a) He misses living with the Indians.
(b) He wants to move further to the West.
(c) He wants to join the Army.
(d) His new wife leaves him after three months.
8. What does Williams say that many American crimes are caused by?
(a) Religious intolerance.
(b) Passion and anger.
(c) Spiritual starvation.
(d) Cultural hatred.
9. Who is the narrator for the first part of "Poor Richard"?
(a) An average American.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) William Carlos Williams.
(d) An American Indian.
10. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
(a) Her musical ability.
(b) Her religious devotion.
(c) Her creativity.
(d) Her courage.
11. What does Williams say is the one thing that Americans fear more than anything else in the world?
12. What kind of position is Jones' squadron in when the battle begins?
(a) Jones has fewer ships, but is in a better position geographically than the enemy is.
(b) Jones has only three ships left and is at a severe disadvantage.
(c) Jones has the same number of ships as the enemy.
(d) Jones has 20 ships and is at a strong advantage.
13. What does Williams compare the various incidents of Lincoln's life to?
(a) Instruments playing in an orchestra.
(b) Ridges of a sculpture that should be made of Lincoln.
(c) Lines in a carefully crafted poem.
(d) Dancers doing a series of intricately choreographed steps.
14. How does Captain Landais' insubordination to John Paul Jones begin?
(a) He accuses Jones of losing the barge by taking unnecessary chances with the boats.
(b) He accuses Jones of failing to pursue the enemy as vigorously as possible.
(c) He accuses Jones of not taking into consideration the needs of the men on board.
(d) He accuses Jones of treason.
15. What feature does Williams say most shapes Edgar Allen Poe's work?
(a) His religion.
(b) His ancestry.
(c) His locality.
(d) His education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
2. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
3. What does Williams say that people of color excel at, more so than any white person?
4. What do Burr's critics say about him when he runs for office?
5. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)