|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What virtue does the narrator say that Washington particularly valued in his troops?
(b) Hard work.
2. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
(b) Exploring the frontier.
(c) In the field with his troops.
(d) In the capital.
3. What does Williams say that many American crimes are caused by?
(a) Cultural hatred.
(b) Passion and anger.
(c) Spiritual starvation.
(d) Religious intolerance.
4. Who is the narrator for the first part of "Poor Richard"?
(a) An American Indian.
(b) William Carlos Williams.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) An average American.
5. Who does Lincoln say he owes everything he is or ever will be to?
(a) His devoted wife.
(b) His loving sister.
(c) His angel mother.
(d) His faithful housekeeper.
6. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
(a) Because M lives near a spring.
(b) Because M uses such original language.
(c) Because M likes the rain in the spring.
(d) Because M is always so cheerful.
7. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
8. What happens to the barge that is towing John Paul Jones' ship?
(a) The barge is taken over by mutinous sailors.
(b) The barge sinks in a storm at sea.
(c) The bargemen cut the tow rope and steal the barge.
(d) The barge catches fire in the battle.
9. What state does Houston become Governor of, and later serve as a U.S. Senator from?
(d) New Mexico.
10. What does the narrator say about Washington's attitude toward the presidency?
(a) He regretted not having a Parliament.
(b) He felt it was his duty to serve.
(c) He felt his terms of office were a failure.
(d) He craved power.
11. What kind of position is Jones' squadron in when the battle begins?
(a) Jones has fewer ships, but is in a better position geographically than the enemy is.
(b) Jones has 20 ships and is at a strong advantage.
(c) Jones has the same number of ships as the enemy.
(d) Jones has only three ships left and is at a severe disadvantage.
12. What event in Poe's life trapped him in his poetry?
(a) The birth of his child.
(b) The destruction of his home.
(c) The end of the war.
(d) The death of his wife.
13. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
14. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
(a) Her religious devotion.
(b) Her courage.
(c) Her creativity.
(d) Her musical ability.
15. What does Houston do after he resigns as Governor of Tennessee?
(a) He settled down on a homestead and built a house.
(b) He joins the Indians who had been relocated to Arkansas.
(c) He decides to go back to school.
(d) He goes West to explore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
2. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
3. What does Williams say that Lincoln finds no relief from?
4. What famous ship does Williams say that a slave ship is the counterpart to?
5. What does William Carlos Williams say is the most important thing to remember about people who are descended from Africans who were brought to the Americas in slavery?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)