|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacataqua ask Aaron Burr to do?
(a) Fight. with her.
(b) Hunt with her.
(c) Eat with her.
(d) Sleep with her.
2. How does Captain Landais' insubordination to John Paul Jones begin?
(a) He accuses Jones of treason.
(b) He accuses Jones of not taking into consideration the needs of the men on board.
(c) He accuses Jones of failing to pursue the enemy as vigorously as possible.
(d) He accuses Jones of losing the barge by taking unnecessary chances with the boats.
3. What does Williams say that Americans think they will lose if they were ever to serve another person?
4. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
(a) Because M uses such original language.
(b) Because M likes the rain in the spring.
(c) Because M is always so cheerful.
(d) Because M lives near a spring.
5. How does Jones feel about the battle?
(a) He says that it is beautiful.
(b) He says that it is horrifying.
(c) He says that it is necessary.
(d) He says that it is exciting.
6. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
7. How does the narrator say that Puritans viewed the Indian?
(a) As a degenerate.
(b) As a fellow Christian.
(c) As an unformed Puritan.
(d) As a savage devil.
8. What does Williams compare the various incidents of Lincoln's life to?
(a) Dancers doing a series of intricately choreographed steps.
(b) Ridges of a sculpture that should be made of Lincoln.
(c) Instruments playing in an orchestra.
(d) Lines in a carefully crafted poem.
9. What happens to the barge that is towing John Paul Jones' ship?
(a) The bargemen cut the tow rope and steal the barge.
(b) The barge sinks in a storm at sea.
(c) The barge is taken over by mutinous sailors.
(d) The barge catches fire in the battle.
10. Why does Houston resign as Governor of Tennessee?
(a) He wants to move further to the West.
(b) He wants to join the Army.
(c) His new wife leaves him after three months.
(d) He misses living with the Indians.
11. What does William Carlos Williams say is the most important thing to remember about people who are descended from Africans who were brought to the Americas in slavery?
(a) They speak many different languages.
(b) They bring a certain quality to America with them.
(c) They were forced to endure inhumane conditions at sea.
(d) They have managed to thrive despite adversity.
12. Who is the only person in America who can live a life of leisure, like a gentleman, according to an early American saying that Franklin mentions?
(a) A hog.
(b) The President.
(c) A child.
(d) A housewife.
13. Why does John Paul Jones write to Benjamin Franklin in "Battle Between the Bon Homme Richard and the Serapis"?
(a) To explain why he feels that naval policy should be changed.
(b) To explain the circumstances leading up to the loss of a ship.
(c) To explain the outcome of a recent battle.
(d) To explain how ships could be better maintained so that they are more resistant to fires.
14. Which Founding Father refers to Aaron Burr as dangerous?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) James Madison.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
15. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
(b) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(c) Americans only like to think about the future.
(d) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
2. What part of Poe's reputation does Williams say is undeserved?
3. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
4. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
5. What does Williams say that Lincoln should be depicted as when a sculpture is made to memorialize him?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)