|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) His family members in Europe.
(b) His wife.
(c) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(d) The King and Queen of Spain.
2. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their spirit.
(b) Their warmth.
(c) Their toughness.
(d) Their intelligence.
3. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
(b) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(c) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
(d) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
4. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
(a) He opens his larder to all who wish to eat and drink.
(b) He offers food to anyone who is willing to do some work.
(c) He refuses to feed the hungry, demanding instead that they pay tribute to him.
(d) He gives everyone who comes into the city a small ration of food.
5. Why does Williams criticize historian A. C. Adams at the beginning of "The May-Pole at Merry Mount"?
(a) For a lack of accuracy.
(b) For a lack of scale.
(c) For a lack of common sense.
(d) For a lack of detail.
6. What causes the Puritan elders to finally get fed up with Thomas Morton?
(a) He begins to trade guns with the Indians.
(b) He decides to marry an Indian woman.
(c) He plans a big party with music and liquor.
(d) He starts a revolt against the authorities.
7. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
(a) Because they are worried that they will never make it back to Spain.
(b) Because he has subjected them to many hardships and they have found no gold.
(c) Because they have become infected with diseases and are experiencing epidemics.
(d) Because they are afraid that they will all be killed in battle.
8. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Cotton Mather.
(d) Aaron Burr.
9. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
(a) He convinces the Aztecs to lay down their arms peacefully.
(b) He frightens the Aztecs and they run away.
(c) He stirs the Aztecs to resist even more fiercely than before.
(d) He is hit on the head by a stone, which kills him.
10. Who is Thomas Morton?
(a) A colonist.
(b) A writer.
(c) A historian.
(d) A soldier.
11. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
(a) He is worried about who will take on his work after he dies.
(b) He has been a dedicated servant of the King and Queen for his entire life.
(c) He feels that he should be allowed to see a doctor.
(d) He is sorry to see that the best years of his life are behind him.
12. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(b) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(c) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
(d) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
13. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
(b) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
(c) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(d) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
14. When Champlain advocates on behalf of building a colony, what is the one personal favor he asks of the King of France?
(a) A monopoly of the fur trade for three years.
(b) A gift of firearms for defense and for trade.
(c) A grant of supplies and men.
(d) A priest and doctor who could live in the colony.
15. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
(a) He loses everything and has to flee with his men.
(b) He and his men win after a long battle.
(c) He and his men defeat them easily.
(d) He is forced to negotiate a temporary treaty in order to escape with his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
2. What is De Soto looking for?
3. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
4. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
5. Who is Freydis?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)