|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
(a) A science in its own right.
(b) A tapestry of culture and stories.
(c) A story written only by the winners.
(d) A compendium of dates, data, and quotations.
2. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(a) Ponce de Leon's brother.
(b) Columbus and Cortez.
(d) The King and Queen of Spain.
3. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
(a) They believe that God does not approve of imagination.
(b) They think their lives depend on doing things the same way every time.
(c) They do not have materials with which to exercise their creativity.
(d) They are afraid being imaginative would cut them off from the others.
4. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
(a) He gives everyone who comes into the city a small ration of food.
(b) He refuses to feed the hungry, demanding instead that they pay tribute to him.
(c) He opens his larder to all who wish to eat and drink.
(d) He offers food to anyone who is willing to do some work.
5. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
(a) He wants to visit his family members in Portugal.
(b) He wants to circumnavigate the globe.
(c) He wants to go on vacation to someplace warm and tropical.
(d) He wants to go on a pilgrimmage to holy places.
6. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(b) His family members in Europe.
(c) His wife.
(d) The King and Queen of Spain.
7. What are Bridget Bishop and Susanna Martin indicted for?
8. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
(a) He broke Queen Elizabeth's heart.
(b) He was an atheist.
(c) He sent his son on a mission that got him killed.
(d) He had no regard for the safety of his colonists.
9. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
(a) He thinks he might be forced to offer Maldonado some help.
(b) He thinks that Maldonado might get credit for De Soto's accomplishments.
(c) He fears that Maldonado would antagonize the Indians.
(d) He does not get along with Maldonado.
10. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
(a) He wonders where the gold is.
(b) He looks upon it as an impoverished village.
(c) He thinks it is wonderful and magnificent.
(d) He mentally calculates the number of slaves that could be captured.
11. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
(a) Know-nothingism and opportunism.
(b) Inventiveness and resourcefulness.
(c) Creativity and genius.
(d) Democracy and collective responsibility.
12. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
(a) As a land of plenty.
(b) As a swamp-infested hell.
(c) As a land rich in mineral resources.
(d) As a wilderness full of savages.
13. What does Cotton Mather think about the gods of the Indian nations?
(a) He thinks that they are devils.
(b) He thinks that they are imaginary.
(c) He thinks that they are other gods.
(d) He thinks that they are idols.
14. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
(a) Four times a week.
(b) Four times a year.
(c) Four times a month.
(d) Four times a day.
15. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
(b) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
(c) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
(d) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
2. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
3. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
4. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
5. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)