|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
(a) Because he has subjected them to many hardships and they have found no gold.
(b) Because they are afraid that they will all be killed in battle.
(c) Because they have become infected with diseases and are experiencing epidemics.
(d) Because they are worried that they will never make it back to Spain.
2. How does Ponce de Leon die?
(a) He dies of disease.
(b) He dies of old age.
(c) He is killed by an Indian arrow.
(d) He is killed by his own men in a mutiny.
3. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They call the killings self-defense.
(b) They claim that Indians had no souls.
(c) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
(d) They insist that God told them to do it.
4. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(b) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(c) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
(d) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
5. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(b) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
(c) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(d) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
6. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
(a) Mock it.
(b) Celebrate it.
(c) Shape it.
(d) Criticize it.
7. How much time does Samuel de Champlain spend in North America before he is permitted to establish a French colony?
(a) Three years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
8. Who is Thomas Morton?
(a) A colonist.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A writer.
(d) A historian.
9. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(b) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
(c) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
(d) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
10. Who or what is Mabilla?
(a) The town where the Tuscaloosa attacked De Soto and his men.
(b) The place Do Soto had heard of, called a "country toward the rising sun."
(c) The river along which De Soto and his men were traveling.
(d) The woman who traveled with De Soto and translated for him.
11. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
(a) Eric the Red has to give in and let Thorgest take his property.
(b) Eric the Red removes his property, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons are killed.
(c) Eric the Red tries to remove his property, but Eric the Red's two sons are killed in the melee.
(d) Eric the Red decides to steal from Thorgest in return, on his way into exile.
12. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
(a) Freedom is based on ideas, not experiences.
(b) To be truly free, you have to be true to yourself and your heritage.
(c) To be free you have to break apart from your background and upbringing.
(d) Only staying at home can free you to travel elsewhere.
13. Why isn't the French Conquest as severe as the Spanish one?
(a) The Spanish massacre Indians but the French just marry local women.
(b) The Spanish want furs but the French want gold.
(c) The Spanish are much more gentle than the French.
(d) The Spanish have many explorers to help but the French have only a couple.
14. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Deeply religious.
(b) Rigid and formal.
(c) Evil and malicious.
(d) Good-natured and affectionate.
15. Which of the following is one of the goals, listed by Cotton Mather, that the Puritans have in mind when they found their colonies?
(a) They want to be certain that every person in the community had enough to eat and drink.
(b) They want a man to be able to spend seven years in the community and be able to say that he had not heard one oath sworn.
(c) They want to know that every child, rich or poor, in the community would be able to read the Bible.
(d) They want to be sure that every person in the community went to church every Sunday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Freydis?
2. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
3. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
4. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
5. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)