|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Champlain advocates on behalf of building a colony, what is the one personal favor he asks of the King of France?
(a) A monopoly of the fur trade for three years.
(b) A grant of supplies and men.
(c) A gift of firearms for defense and for trade.
(d) A priest and doctor who could live in the colony.
2. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
(a) The new King.
(b) James' man.
(c) Explorer of the Orinoco.
(d) The planter who never planted.
3. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They call the killings self-defense.
(b) They insist that God told them to do it.
(c) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
(d) They claim that Indians had no souls.
4. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
(a) He is arrested and sent back to England.
(b) He is kidnapped by the Indians.
(c) He is shot in a fight.
(d) He is given an award by the colonists.
5. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
(b) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
(c) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
(d) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
6. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
7. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
(a) English literature.
(b) American literature.
(c) Modern literature.
(d) Classical literature.
8. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(b) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(d) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
9. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
(a) A desire to help.
10. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
(a) Their respect for authority.
(b) Their imagination and ingenuity.
(c) Their devotion to religion.
(d) Their fierceness and hard work.
11. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
(b) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(c) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(d) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
12. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(b) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(c) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(d) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
13. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
(a) An old man.
(b) An old woman.
(c) One of his own men.
(d) A child.
14. How does De Soto keep his men alive when the maize crop fails?
(a) He sends the men out to hunt and fish.
(b) He gives each man 1/2 pound of pork daily.
(c) He writes to Spain for help.
(d) He rations corn.
15. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
(b) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
(c) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(d) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
2. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
3. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
4. What adjective does Williams use to describe Champlain?
5. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)