|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(b) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
(c) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
(d) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
2. What does Jacataqua ask Aaron Burr to do?
(a) Sleep with her.
(b) Eat with her.
(c) Fight. with her.
(d) Hunt with her.
3. How does the narrator describe George Washington's character at the beginning of "George Washington"?
(a) He says that Washington was ambitious.
(b) He says that Washington was corrupted by power.
(c) He says that Washington rarely told the truth.
(d) He says that Washington was a good man.
4. How does the narrator say that Puritans viewed the Indian?
(a) As a degenerate.
(b) As a savage devil.
(c) As an unformed Puritan.
(d) As a fellow Christian.
5. What feature does Williams say most shapes Edgar Allen Poe's work?
(a) His education.
(b) His locality.
(c) His religion.
(d) His ancestry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
2. What is the moral of the story about the lusty young man who fell overboard and was hauled back in?
3. What does Williams say that many American crimes are caused by?
4. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
5. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)