|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event in Poe's life trapped him in his poetry?
(a) The end of the war.
(b) The birth of his child.
(c) The destruction of his home.
(d) The death of his wife.
2. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
(a) He finds her later under a bush with her hands cut off.
(b) His men capture her and steal the crucifix back.
(c) He accidentally kills her without knowing who she is.
(d) He finds her later working as a slave.
3. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
(a) Berries, animal skins, and meat.
(b) Live pigs, horses, and dogs.
(c) Gold, silver, and pearls.
(d) Handmade tools, sewing needles and tents.
4. What does Williams say that Americans think they will lose if they were ever to serve another person?
5. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(b) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(c) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(d) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator address "Sir Walter Raleigh" to?
2. What event has distracted historians from telling the whole story about Burr?
3. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
4. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
5. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)