|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
(a) A child.
(b) An old woman.
(c) One of his own men.
(d) An old man.
2. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
(a) The Tuscaloosa.
(b) The female narrator.
(c) De Soto.
(d) The male narrator.
3. How does the death of Juan Ortiz affect De Soto?
(a) It leaves him without a doctor.
(b) It leaves him without a single soldier who knows the way back.
(c) It leaves him without a translator.
(d) It makes him feel lonely and wish he had a friend.
4. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(b) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(c) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
(d) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
5. What do bows and arrows, corn meal, and belief in a second life all have in common, according to the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh"?
(a) They are necessary to colonization.
(b) They are found in all villages.
(c) They are invented by all peoples.
(d) They are things all people can do without.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes the narrator's experience of Paris?
3. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
4. What does Williams admire about Poe's choice of words?
5. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)