|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't the French Conquest as severe as the Spanish one?
(a) The Spanish massacre Indians but the French just marry local women.
(b) The Spanish want furs but the French want gold.
(c) The Spanish are much more gentle than the French.
(d) The Spanish have many explorers to help but the French have only a couple.
2. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
(a) Because he has subjected them to many hardships and they have found no gold.
(b) Because they have become infected with diseases and are experiencing epidemics.
(c) Because they are afraid that they will all be killed in battle.
(d) Because they are worried that they will never make it back to Spain.
3. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
(a) He refuses to feed the hungry, demanding instead that they pay tribute to him.
(b) He opens his larder to all who wish to eat and drink.
(c) He gives everyone who comes into the city a small ration of food.
(d) He offers food to anyone who is willing to do some work.
4. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
(b) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
(c) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(d) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
5. What does Williams say is the one thing that Americans fear more than anything else in the world?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
2. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
3. What does Cotton Mather think about the gods of the Indian nations?
4. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
5. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)