|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
(a) De Soto.
(b) The Tuscaloosa.
(c) The female narrator.
(d) The male narrator.
2. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
3. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
(a) He is hit on the head by a stone, which kills him.
(b) He convinces the Aztecs to lay down their arms peacefully.
(c) He stirs the Aztecs to resist even more fiercely than before.
(d) He frightens the Aztecs and they run away.
4. What does Williams say that people of color excel at, more so than any white person?
(a) Cleanliness and picking out beautiful fabrics to wear.
(b) Cooking and planning a gourmet menu.
(c) Singing jazz music and spirituals.
(d) Dancing and playing sports.
5. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their toughness.
(b) Their spirit.
(c) Their intelligence.
(d) Their warmth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
2. What does Williams say is the one thing that Americans fear more than anything else in the world?
3. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
4. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
5. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)