|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
(a) To find gold.
(b) To find new land for Spain.
(c) To find food and water.
(d) To find the fountain of youth.
2. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
(a) It is large and generous.
(b) It is rich and nourishing.
(c) It is small and empty.
(d) It is kind and warmhearted.
3. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(b) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
(c) Americans only like to think about the future.
(d) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
4. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
(b) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
(c) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
(d) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
5. What virtue does the narrator say that Washington particularly valued in his troops?
(a) Hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Poe's reputation does Williams say is undeserved?
2. How does the narrator describe George Washington's character at the beginning of "George Washington"?
3. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
4. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
5. Who is the narrator for the second half of "Poor Richard"?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)