|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
(a) He has already accomplished all that he came for.
(b) He is not free to go, but goes anyway.
(c) He has been relieved of his job as Governor.
(d) He is independently wealthy and can do as he pleases.
2. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
3. What event has distracted historians from telling the whole story about Burr?
(a) The duel with Alexander Hamilton.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) Shea's rebellion.
(d) The French and Indian War.
4. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
(a) "The serious historian of the ancient world is careful never to forget his Homer."
(b) "There must be imagination at work to discern the fabulae of history."
(c) "History, like poetry, is an ancient trap laid for the credulous and narrow-minded."
(d) "In the reading and interpretation of history everything falls dead unless that reality is perceived."
5. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
(a) Her courage.
(b) Her creativity.
(c) Her religious devotion.
(d) Her musical ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raises Sam Houston during the early years of his life?
2. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
3. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
4. What does Williams say is the one thing that Americans fear more than anything else in the world?
5. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)