|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
(a) To be truly free, you have to be true to yourself and your heritage.
(b) Only staying at home can free you to travel elsewhere.
(c) Freedom is based on ideas, not experiences.
(d) To be free you have to break apart from your background and upbringing.
2. What do bows and arrows, corn meal, and belief in a second life all have in common, according to the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh"?
(a) They are things all people can do without.
(b) They are necessary to colonization.
(c) They are invented by all peoples.
(d) They are found in all villages.
3. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
(a) Four times a week.
(b) Four times a day.
(c) Four times a year.
(d) Four times a month.
4. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
5. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jones say he reacted to the damage incurred by the Bon Homme Richard?
2. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
3. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
4. Why does the narrator admire Pere Rasles?
5. Who does the narrator say was the only American ever to see General Washington in a towering rage?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)