|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Williams criticize historian A. C. Adams at the beginning of "The May-Pole at Merry Mount"?
(a) For a lack of scale.
(b) For a lack of accuracy.
(c) For a lack of common sense.
(d) For a lack of detail.
2. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
(a) It is kind and warmhearted.
(b) It is large and generous.
(c) It is rich and nourishing.
(d) It is small and empty.
3. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
(a) He wants to visit his family members in Portugal.
(b) He wants to go on vacation to someplace warm and tropical.
(c) He wants to circumnavigate the globe.
(d) He wants to go on a pilgrimmage to holy places.
4. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
5. How does De Soto keep his men alive when the maize crop fails?
(a) He writes to Spain for help.
(b) He sends the men out to hunt and fish.
(c) He rations corn.
(d) He gives each man 1/2 pound of pork daily.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
2. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
3. How does the narrator describe George Washington's character at the beginning of "George Washington"?
4. What are Bridget Bishop and Susanna Martin indicted for?
5. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)