|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
(a) As a swamp-infested hell.
(b) As a land of plenty.
(c) As a land rich in mineral resources.
(d) As a wilderness full of savages.
2. Who is the only person in America who can live a life of leisure, like a gentleman, according to an early American saying that Franklin mentions?
(a) The President.
(b) A child.
(c) A housewife.
(d) A hog.
3. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
(a) Go on voyages of exploration.
(b) Marry one of her maids.
(c) Serve in the army.
(d) Serve on great councils.
4. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
(a) Four newspapers print the map of Champlain's route.
(b) Four of Champlain's men become sick and cannot work.
(c) Four chiefs come to talk to Champlain about the location for his city.
(d) Four conspirators are captured planning to assassinate Champlain.
5. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say that Americans think they will lose if they were ever to serve another person?
2. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
3. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
4. How does Poe respond to Lowell's criticism of him in verse?
5. Where does De Soto begin his journey into the North American mainland?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)