|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(b) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(c) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(d) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
2. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
(b) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(c) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(d) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
3. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) William Carlos Williams.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
4. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
(a) Few ships travel to America, so manufacturers could not market their goods to foreign ports.
(b) To do well in manufacturing, you need large numbers of poor people who are willing to work for low wages.
(c) America does not have enough raw materials to do well at manufacturing any items of commercial value.
(d) There are no cities in America in which to build manufacturing plants.
5. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
(a) He is sorry to see that the best years of his life are behind him.
(b) He is worried about who will take on his work after he dies.
(c) He has been a dedicated servant of the King and Queen for his entire life.
(d) He feels that he should be allowed to see a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
2. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
3. How does the death of Juan Ortiz affect De Soto?
4. What event has distracted historians from telling the whole story about Burr?
5. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)