|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends troops to attack.
(b) He sends poisoned food.
(c) He sends a threatening letter.
(d) He sends gifts to Cortez.
2. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
(a) Explorer of the Orinoco.
(b) James' man.
(c) The planter who never planted.
(d) The new King.
3. What kind of position is Jones' squadron in when the battle begins?
(a) Jones has only three ships left and is at a severe disadvantage.
(b) Jones has fewer ships, but is in a better position geographically than the enemy is.
(c) Jones has 20 ships and is at a strong advantage.
(d) Jones has the same number of ships as the enemy.
4. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
(b) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
(c) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(d) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
5. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
(a) To demonstrate that history must judge the actions of historical figures.
(b) To prove that Walter Raleigh was a coward.
(c) To suggest that even Williams cannot answer all of history's questions.
(d) To show the lyricism of Williams' prose.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator say that Puritans viewed the Indian?
2. What does Cotton Mather say is the cause of the degeneracy of the New England community?
3. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
4. Who or what is Mabilla?
5. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)