|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
(a) It is a dangerous place because there are so many Indian raids.
(b) They can move there and quickly be elected to political office.
(c) Americans place a high value on leisure time and do not like to work.
(d) It is very hard to earn a living by farming in America.
2. Who does the narrator address "Sir Walter Raleigh" to?
(a) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(b) The Muse.
(c) The reader.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
3. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
(a) To suggest that even Williams cannot answer all of history's questions.
(b) To prove that Walter Raleigh was a coward.
(c) To show the lyricism of Williams' prose.
(d) To demonstrate that history must judge the actions of historical figures.
4. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
(a) Become a diplomat.
(b) Travel to Africa.
(c) Join the crew of a ship heading to the Americas.
(d) Marry one of her maids.
5. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
(a) Celebrate it.
(b) Mock it.
(c) Shape it.
(d) Criticize it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
2. What does Houston do after he resigns as Governor of Tennessee?
3. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
4. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
5. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)