|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) His family members in Europe.
(b) His wife.
(c) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(d) The King and Queen of Spain.
2. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
(a) The chapter on Daniel Boone.
(b) The chapter on Cotton Mather.
(c) The chapter on Christopher Columbus.
(d) The chapter on John Paul Jones.
3. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
(a) He is knighted.
(b) He is sent away on another voyage.
(c) He is beheaded.
(d) He is stripped of his knighthood.
4. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
(a) History is written by the victors.
(b) History never tells the truth.
(c) History is often bound by prejudice.
(d) History never lies.
5. What incident "greatly annoys" Champlain and delays the construction of Quebec?
(a) A very severe series of thunderstorms.
(b) A disagreement among the settlers about where to locate the city.
(c) A battle with the Indians.
(d) A fur trade dispute with a Basque ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator say that Puritans viewed the Indian?
2. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
3. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
4. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes the narrator's experience of Paris?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)