|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
(b) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
(c) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
(d) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
2. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
(b) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
(c) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
(d) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
3. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
(a) Freydis becomes a politician and the leader of her community.
(b) Freydis' family is always thought to be evil after that.
(c) Freydis is exiled from her community like Eric the Red.
(d) Freydis is tried in criminal court and jailed for her actions.
4. What does the narrator say about Washington's attitude toward the presidency?
(a) He craved power.
(b) He regretted not having a Parliament.
(c) He felt it was his duty to serve.
(d) He felt his terms of office were a failure.
5. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
(a) He is trying to trick the King and Queen by giving them false information in his letters.
(b) He is trying to test a new system of measurement to see which is most accurate.
(c) He is trying to check his navigational instruments to be sure that they are working properly.
(d) He is trying to reassure the crew that they have not traveled as far without seeing land as they think they have.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams admire about Poe's choice of words?
2. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
3. What prevents Raleigh from going to the Virginia colonies?
4. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
5. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)