|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Aaron Burr.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Cotton Mather.
2. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
(a) Their tolerance of other religions.
(b) Their intellectual ability.
(c) Their firm vigor.
(d) Their resourcefulness.
3. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
(a) Desire to earn money.
(b) An appreciation for solitude.
(c) Drive to develop land for investment purposes.
(d) Lack of concern for his own safety.
4. Why do the Puritans disapprove of Thomas Morton?
(a) He is not married.
(b) He does not pay his taxes.
(c) He barters guns and liquor to Indians.
(d) He does not believe in God.
5. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
(b) A desire to help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
2. What does Williams say is the one thing that Americans fear more than anything else in the world?
3. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
4. What do Burr's critics say about him when he runs for office?
5. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)