|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
(a) He does not get along with Maldonado.
(b) He thinks that Maldonado might get credit for De Soto's accomplishments.
(c) He thinks he might be forced to offer Maldonado some help.
(d) He fears that Maldonado would antagonize the Indians.
2. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
(a) People can steal from him at will.
(b) He is more well-admired than ever before.
(c) People try to kill him when they see him.
(d) He is lonely and despondent.
3. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
(d) A desire to help.
4. When Champlain advocates on behalf of building a colony, what is the one personal favor he asks of the King of France?
(a) A monopoly of the fur trade for three years.
(b) A gift of firearms for defense and for trade.
(c) A grant of supplies and men.
(d) A priest and doctor who could live in the colony.
5. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(b) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(c) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(d) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
2. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
3. When does Houston defeat Santa Ana?
4. What does Williams say that Americans think they will lose if they were ever to serve another person?
5. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)