|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a term used by the narrator to describe Queen Elizabeth?
(b) Fairy Queen.
2. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
(a) Her musical ability.
(b) Her religious devotion.
(c) Her creativity.
(d) Her courage.
3. How does Captain Landais' insubordination to John Paul Jones begin?
(a) He accuses Jones of treason.
(b) He accuses Jones of not taking into consideration the needs of the men on board.
(c) He accuses Jones of losing the barge by taking unnecessary chances with the boats.
(d) He accuses Jones of failing to pursue the enemy as vigorously as possible.
4. What causes the Puritan elders to finally get fed up with Thomas Morton?
(a) He decides to marry an Indian woman.
(b) He plans a big party with music and liquor.
(c) He starts a revolt against the authorities.
(d) He begins to trade guns with the Indians.
5. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
(b) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
(c) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(d) Americans only like to think about the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
2. Who is the only person in America who can live a life of leisure, like a gentleman, according to an early American saying that Franklin mentions?
3. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
4. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
5. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)