|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Virtue of History Aaron Burr.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(b) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(c) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
(d) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
2. What does Williams say that many American crimes are caused by?
(a) Cultural hatred.
(b) Spiritual starvation.
(c) Religious intolerance.
(d) Passion and anger.
3. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
(a) A bird.
(b) A snake.
(c) A cat.
(d) A dog.
4. What title does the narrator give Raleigh?
(a) The Breath of the Queen.
(b) The Hand of the Queen.
(c) The Heart of the Queen.
(d) The Sword of the Queen.
5. How does De Soto keep his men alive when the maize crop fails?
(a) He sends the men out to hunt and fish.
(b) He gives each man 1/2 pound of pork daily.
(c) He writes to Spain for help.
(d) He rations corn.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
2. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
3. Where does De Soto begin his journey into the North American mainland?
4. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
5. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)