|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Virtue of History Aaron Burr.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
(b) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
(c) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(d) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
2. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(b) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(c) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
(d) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
3. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(b) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(c) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(d) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
4. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
(a) "One or the other of us had to die, under the natural circumstance."
(b) "Eric the Red is a marked man, beyond the law, so it would seem..."
(c) "...this is what they say: Eric, son of evil, come and be forgiven."
(d) "This is my portion. I do not call it not to my liking. Hardship lives in me."
5. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
(a) He opens his larder to all who wish to eat and drink.
(b) He gives everyone who comes into the city a small ration of food.
(c) He offers food to anyone who is willing to do some work.
(d) He refuses to feed the hungry, demanding instead that they pay tribute to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes the narrator's experience of Paris?
3. What is De Soto looking for?
4. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
5. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)