|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Virtue of History Aaron Burr.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(b) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
(c) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
(d) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
2. What do Burr's critics say about him when he runs for office?
(a) He does not have enough experience or education.
(b) He is frivolous and immoral.
(c) He is corrupt and would misuse power.
(d) He is secretly a Royalist.
3. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
(a) Eric the Red decides to steal from Thorgest in return, on his way into exile.
(b) Eric the Red removes his property, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons are killed.
(c) Eric the Red has to give in and let Thorgest take his property.
(d) Eric the Red tries to remove his property, but Eric the Red's two sons are killed in the melee.
4. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They call the killings self-defense.
(b) They insist that God told them to do it.
(c) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
(d) They claim that Indians had no souls.
5. Who is the narrator for the first part of "Poor Richard"?
(a) William Carlos Williams.
(b) An American Indian.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) An average American.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
2. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
3. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
4. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
5. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)