|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Cotton Mather say that New England belonged to before the New Englanders lived there?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The French.
(d) The Devil.
2. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(b) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
(c) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
(d) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
3. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
(a) To be free you have to break apart from your background and upbringing.
(b) Only staying at home can free you to travel elsewhere.
(c) To be truly free, you have to be true to yourself and your heritage.
(d) Freedom is based on ideas, not experiences.
4. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
(a) Because they are afraid that they will all be killed in battle.
(b) Because they have become infected with diseases and are experiencing epidemics.
(c) Because they are worried that they will never make it back to Spain.
(d) Because he has subjected them to many hardships and they have found no gold.
5. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
(a) He is trying to check his navigational instruments to be sure that they are working properly.
(b) He is trying to trick the King and Queen by giving them false information in his letters.
(c) He is trying to reassure the crew that they have not traveled as far without seeing land as they think they have.
(d) He is trying to test a new system of measurement to see which is most accurate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
2. Who is the narrator for the second half of "Poor Richard"?
3. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
4. What prevents Raleigh from going to the Virginia colonies?
5. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)