|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
2. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Rigid and formal.
(b) Deeply religious.
(c) Evil and malicious.
(d) Good-natured and affectionate.
3. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
(b) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
(c) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
(d) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
4. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
(b) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(c) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
(d) Americans only like to think about the future.
5. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
2. Who does the narrator address "Sir Walter Raleigh" to?
3. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
4. Why isn't the French Conquest as severe as the Spanish one?
5. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)