|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
(b) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
(c) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
(d) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
2. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(b) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
(c) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
(d) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
3. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(b) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(c) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
(d) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
4. Who does the narrator say was the only American ever to see General Washington in a towering rage?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) General Lee.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Aaron Burr.
5. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
(a) To find gold.
(b) To find food and water.
(c) To find the fountain of youth.
(d) To find new land for Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Juan Ortiz?
2. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
3. Who does Cotton Mather say that New England belonged to before the New Englanders lived there?
4. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
5. What causes the Puritan elders to finally get fed up with Thomas Morton?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)