|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't the French Conquest as severe as the Spanish one?
(a) The Spanish want furs but the French want gold.
(b) The Spanish massacre Indians but the French just marry local women.
(c) The Spanish are much more gentle than the French.
(d) The Spanish have many explorers to help but the French have only a couple.
2. Why does Williams criticize historian A. C. Adams at the beginning of "The May-Pole at Merry Mount"?
(a) For a lack of scale.
(b) For a lack of common sense.
(c) For a lack of detail.
(d) For a lack of accuracy.
3. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
(a) He fights against Cortez and dies.
(b) He makes Cortez the monarch.
(c) He forces Cortez to accept Aztec authority.
(d) He negotiates a peace treaty that makes him equal to Cortez.
4. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(b) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(d) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
5. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
(a) It is a dangerous place because there are so many Indian raids.
(b) They can move there and quickly be elected to political office.
(c) It is very hard to earn a living by farming in America.
(d) Americans place a high value on leisure time and do not like to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident "greatly annoys" Champlain and delays the construction of Quebec?
2. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
3. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
4. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
5. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)