|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(b) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(c) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
(d) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
2. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
(a) He is at war with the Indians he met.
(b) He is not afraid to go west into the wilderness.
(c) He does not consider himself an American citizen.
(d) He started new communities wherever he went.
3. What are Bridget Bishop and Susanna Martin indicted for?
4. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
(a) "History, like poetry, is an ancient trap laid for the credulous and narrow-minded."
(b) "There must be imagination at work to discern the fabulae of history."
(c) "The serious historian of the ancient world is careful never to forget his Homer."
(d) "In the reading and interpretation of history everything falls dead unless that reality is perceived."
5. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
(a) They can move there and quickly be elected to political office.
(b) Americans place a high value on leisure time and do not like to work.
(c) It is very hard to earn a living by farming in America.
(d) It is a dangerous place because there are so many Indian raids.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator for the first part of "Poor Richard"?
2. Why does Queen Elizabeth call Raleigh back when he goes with the fleet to attack Spain?
3. What prevents Raleigh from going to the Virginia colonies?
4. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
5. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)