|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
2. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
(a) In the field with his troops.
(b) In the capital.
(d) Exploring the frontier.
3. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
(a) He is lonely and despondent.
(b) People can steal from him at will.
(c) He is more well-admired than ever before.
(d) People try to kill him when they see him.
4. What incident "greatly annoys" Champlain and delays the construction of Quebec?
(a) A disagreement among the settlers about where to locate the city.
(b) A battle with the Indians.
(c) A very severe series of thunderstorms.
(d) A fur trade dispute with a Basque ship.
5. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
(b) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(c) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
(d) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
2. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
3. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
4. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
5. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)