|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(b) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(c) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(d) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
2. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
(a) Four of Champlain's men become sick and cannot work.
(b) Four conspirators are captured planning to assassinate Champlain.
(c) Four chiefs come to talk to Champlain about the location for his city.
(d) Four newspapers print the map of Champlain's route.
3. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
(a) To suggest that even Williams cannot answer all of history's questions.
(b) To show the lyricism of Williams' prose.
(c) To demonstrate that history must judge the actions of historical figures.
(d) To prove that Walter Raleigh was a coward.
4. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
(a) He is stripped of his knighthood.
(b) He is knighted.
(c) He is beheaded.
(d) He is sent away on another voyage.
5. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman is Freydis?
2. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
3. What moral weakness does the narrator comment on in Washington?
4. Why are the Puritans important, according to the narrator?
5. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)