|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Queen Elizabeth call Raleigh back when he goes with the fleet to attack Spain?
(a) Because she has decided not to attack Spain.
(b) Because she intends to send him to the Americas instead.
(c) Because she is urgently in need of his advice.
(d) Because he has seduced one of her maids.
2. Who does the narrator address "Sir Walter Raleigh" to?
(a) The reader.
(b) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(c) The Muse.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
3. What reason does the narrator give for believing that Americans have trouble understanding their own national character?
(a) Americans only like to think about the future.
(b) Americans do not have any character left, only emptiness.
(c) Americans do not like to admit that they have origins and a history.
(d) Americans think that all Americans are Native Americans.
4. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
(a) He loses everything and has to flee with his men.
(b) He and his men defeat them easily.
(c) He and his men win after a long battle.
(d) He is forced to negotiate a temporary treaty in order to escape with his life.
5. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
(a) He is worried about who will take on his work after he dies.
(b) He feels that he should be allowed to see a doctor.
(c) He has been a dedicated servant of the King and Queen for his entire life.
(d) He is sorry to see that the best years of his life are behind him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the moral of the story about the rough sailor who falls sick, dies, and is thrown overboard?
2. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
3. Why does the narrator admire Pere Rasles?
4. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
5. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)