|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator address "Sir Walter Raleigh" to?
(a) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(b) The Muse.
(c) The reader.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
2. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
(a) Their firm vigor.
(b) Their intellectual ability.
(c) Their tolerance of other religions.
(d) Their resourcefulness.
3. Who is the only person in America who can live a life of leisure, like a gentleman, according to an early American saying that Franklin mentions?
(a) A hog.
(b) A child.
(c) A housewife.
(d) The President.
4. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
(a) The chapter on Christopher Columbus.
(b) The chapter on Cotton Mather.
(c) The chapter on Daniel Boone.
(d) The chapter on John Paul Jones.
5. What do bows and arrows, corn meal, and belief in a second life all have in common, according to the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh"?
(a) They are things all people can do without.
(b) They are invented by all peoples.
(c) They are necessary to colonization.
(d) They are found in all villages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator for the second half of "Poor Richard"?
2. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
3. What is the overall tone of Williams' remarks about the Puritans?
4. Why does Williams criticize historian A. C. Adams at the beginning of "The May-Pole at Merry Mount"?
5. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)