|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
2. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
(a) Four conspirators are captured planning to assassinate Champlain.
(b) Four of Champlain's men become sick and cannot work.
(c) Four newspapers print the map of Champlain's route.
(d) Four chiefs come to talk to Champlain about the location for his city.
3. How does De Soto keep his men alive when the maize crop fails?
(a) He rations corn.
(b) He gives each man 1/2 pound of pork daily.
(c) He writes to Spain for help.
(d) He sends the men out to hunt and fish.
4. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
(a) Americans place a high value on leisure time and do not like to work.
(b) They can move there and quickly be elected to political office.
(c) It is very hard to earn a living by farming in America.
(d) It is a dangerous place because there are so many Indian raids.
5. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
(a) "One or the other of us had to die, under the natural circumstance."
(b) "Eric the Red is a marked man, beyond the law, so it would seem..."
(c) "This is my portion. I do not call it not to my liking. Hardship lives in me."
(d) "...this is what they say: Eric, son of evil, come and be forgiven."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cotton Mather say that New England belonged to before the New Englanders lived there?
2. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
3. What moral weakness does the narrator comment on in Washington?
4. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
5. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)