|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's interlocutor, Valyry Larbaud, admire about the Puritans?
(a) Their firm vigor.
(b) Their tolerance of other religions.
(c) Their intellectual ability.
(d) Their resourcefulness.
2. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
(a) He has been a dedicated servant of the King and Queen for his entire life.
(b) He is worried about who will take on his work after he dies.
(c) He feels that he should be allowed to see a doctor.
(d) He is sorry to see that the best years of his life are behind him.
3. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' good judgment.
(b) Columbus' foolhardiness.
(c) Columbus' literary skill.
(d) Columbus' courage.
4. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) The King and Queen of Spain.
(b) His family members in Europe.
(c) His wife.
(d) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
5. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
(a) The chapter on Christopher Columbus.
(b) The chapter on Daniel Boone.
(c) The chapter on John Paul Jones.
(d) The chapter on Cotton Mather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
2. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
3. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
4. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
5. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)