|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
(a) His men capture her and steal the crucifix back.
(b) He finds her later working as a slave.
(c) He finds her later under a bush with her hands cut off.
(d) He accidentally kills her without knowing who she is.
2. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(b) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
(c) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(d) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
3. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
(a) He has been relieved of his job as Governor.
(b) He has already accomplished all that he came for.
(c) He is not free to go, but goes anyway.
(d) He is independently wealthy and can do as he pleases.
4. How does the death of Juan Ortiz affect De Soto?
(a) It leaves him without a doctor.
(b) It leaves him without a translator.
(c) It makes him feel lonely and wish he had a friend.
(d) It leaves him without a single soldier who knows the way back.
5. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
(b) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(c) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
(d) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
2. What is De Soto looking for?
3. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
4. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
5. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)