|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The Quakers.
(d) The atheists.
2. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
(b) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
(c) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(d) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
3. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
(b) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
(c) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(d) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
4. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
(a) Cotton Mather.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Aaron Burr.
5. How much time does Samuel de Champlain spend in North America before he is permitted to establish a French colony?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
2. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
3. Who is Freydis?
4. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
5. What is the overall tone of Williams' remarks about the Puritans?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)