|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
(b) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
(c) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
(d) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
2. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
3. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
(a) The chapter on Christopher Columbus.
(b) The chapter on Cotton Mather.
(c) The chapter on Daniel Boone.
(d) The chapter on John Paul Jones.
4. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
(a) A science in its own right.
(b) A story written only by the winners.
(c) A compendium of dates, data, and quotations.
(d) A tapestry of culture and stories.
5. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
(b) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
(c) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
(d) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
2. What kind of woman is Freydis?
3. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
4. When Champlain advocates on behalf of building a colony, what is the one personal favor he asks of the King of France?
5. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)