|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't the French Conquest as severe as the Spanish one?
(a) The Spanish are much more gentle than the French.
(b) The Spanish massacre Indians but the French just marry local women.
(c) The Spanish want furs but the French want gold.
(d) The Spanish have many explorers to help but the French have only a couple.
2. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends gifts to Cortez.
(b) He sends troops to attack.
(c) He sends poisoned food.
(d) He sends a threatening letter.
3. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' courage.
(b) Columbus' good judgment.
(c) Columbus' foolhardiness.
(d) Columbus' literary skill.
4. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
(b) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
(c) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
(d) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
5. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
(a) He does not get along with Maldonado.
(b) He thinks he might be forced to offer Maldonado some help.
(c) He fears that Maldonado would antagonize the Indians.
(d) He thinks that Maldonado might get credit for De Soto's accomplishments.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
2. Why does Williams criticize historian A. C. Adams at the beginning of "The May-Pole at Merry Mount"?
3. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
4. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
5. Who is Freydis?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)