|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Queen Elizabeth call Raleigh back when he goes with the fleet to attack Spain?
(a) Because he has seduced one of her maids.
(b) Because she is urgently in need of his advice.
(c) Because she intends to send him to the Americas instead.
(d) Because she has decided not to attack Spain.
2. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The Quakers.
(c) The atheists.
(d) The Indians.
3. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
(a) Marry one of her maids.
(b) Become a diplomat.
(c) Travel to Africa.
(d) Join the crew of a ship heading to the Americas.
4. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
(a) The Inuit.
(b) The Iroquois.
(c) The Abenaki.
(d) The Skrellings.
5. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
(b) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
(c) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(d) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
2. Who or what is Mabilla?
3. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
4. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
5. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)