|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
(a) Shape it.
(b) Mock it.
(c) Criticize it.
(d) Celebrate it.
2. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
(a) The new King.
(b) The planter who never planted.
(c) James' man.
(d) Explorer of the Orinoco.
3. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
4. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
(a) Eric the Red appears with a group of young Greenlander sailors, and the Greenlanders gain the advantage in the fight.
(b) Helgi and Finnbogi save Freydis' life, rescuing her just as their enemies in the New World were about to kill her.
(c) The Greenlanders are defeated by the people of the New World and flee in shame.
(d) The other Greenlanders begin to flee, but Freydis grabs a sword and fights so hard that she frightens their enemies into fleeing.
5. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
(a) To demonstrate that history must judge the actions of historical figures.
(b) To show the lyricism of Williams' prose.
(c) To prove that Walter Raleigh was a coward.
(d) To suggest that even Williams cannot answer all of history's questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
2. Which of the following is NOT a term used by the narrator to describe Queen Elizabeth?
3. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
4. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
5. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)