|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
2. What is the moral of the story about the rough sailor who falls sick, dies, and is thrown overboard?
(a) Good hygiene was the key to survival on ships.
(b) What happens to the body is not important.
(c) The sea can hide any secret.
(d) God smites those who use profanity.
3. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
(a) "History, like poetry, is an ancient trap laid for the credulous and narrow-minded."
(b) "The serious historian of the ancient world is careful never to forget his Homer."
(c) "In the reading and interpretation of history everything falls dead unless that reality is perceived."
(d) "There must be imagination at work to discern the fabulae of history."
4. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
(a) He is kidnapped by the Indians.
(b) He is arrested and sent back to England.
(c) He is given an award by the colonists.
(d) He is shot in a fight.
5. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
(b) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
(c) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
(d) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
2. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
3. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
4. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
5. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)