|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
(b) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
(c) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(d) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
2. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
(a) He wants to visit his family members in Portugal.
(b) He wants to go on a pilgrimmage to holy places.
(c) He wants to go on vacation to someplace warm and tropical.
(d) He wants to circumnavigate the globe.
3. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
(a) Berries, animal skins, and meat.
(b) Handmade tools, sewing needles and tents.
(c) Live pigs, horses, and dogs.
(d) Gold, silver, and pearls.
4. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
(b) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
(c) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
(d) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
5. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
(a) English literature.
(b) Modern literature.
(c) American literature.
(d) Classical literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
2. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
3. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
4. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
5. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)