|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
(a) They do not have materials with which to exercise their creativity.
(b) They are afraid being imaginative would cut them off from the others.
(c) They believe that God does not approve of imagination.
(d) They think their lives depend on doing things the same way every time.
2. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' courage.
(b) Columbus' foolhardiness.
(c) Columbus' literary skill.
(d) Columbus' good judgment.
3. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
(a) Because they are afraid that they will all be killed in battle.
(b) Because they are worried that they will never make it back to Spain.
(c) Because they have become infected with diseases and are experiencing epidemics.
(d) Because he has subjected them to many hardships and they have found no gold.
4. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
(b) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
(c) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
(d) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
5. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
(b) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(c) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(d) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the death of Juan Ortiz affect De Soto?
2. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
3. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
4. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
5. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)