|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
(a) The Tuscaloosa.
(b) The female narrator.
(c) The male narrator.
(d) De Soto.
2. How does the death of Juan Ortiz affect De Soto?
(a) It leaves him without a single soldier who knows the way back.
(b) It leaves him without a translator.
(c) It leaves him without a doctor.
(d) It makes him feel lonely and wish he had a friend.
3. What is the moral of the story about the lusty young man who fell overboard and was hauled back in?
(a) It is good to have friends who can help you when you need it.
(b) It is important to pay attention so that you are not swept overboard.
(c) Tenacity and determination can save your life.
(d) Faith and hope can see you through even tough times.
4. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
(a) Shape it.
(b) Criticize it.
(c) Celebrate it.
(d) Mock it.
5. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
(b) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
(c) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
(d) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
2. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
3. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
4. What title does the narrator give Raleigh?
5. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)