|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends gifts to Cortez.
(b) He sends troops to attack.
(c) He sends poisoned food.
(d) He sends a threatening letter.
2. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
(d) A desire to help.
3. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
(a) Four times a week.
(b) Four times a month.
(c) Four times a day.
(d) Four times a year.
4. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
(b) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
(c) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
(d) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
5. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
(a) He mentally calculates the number of slaves that could be captured.
(b) He looks upon it as an impoverished village.
(c) He thinks it is wonderful and magnificent.
(d) He wonders where the gold is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective does Williams use to describe Champlain?
2. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
3. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
4. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
5. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)