|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(a) Ponce de Leon's brother.
(b) The King and Queen of Spain.
(c) Columbus and Cortez.
2. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
(a) He makes Cortez the monarch.
(b) He fights against Cortez and dies.
(c) He forces Cortez to accept Aztec authority.
(d) He negotiates a peace treaty that makes him equal to Cortez.
3. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
(a) Anhaica Apalachi.
4. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
(a) No, but at least the voyages do not harm him financially.
(b) Yes, he is able to sell many things that he took from the islands.
(c) Yes, he is rewarded with all the gold he could ever want.
(d) No, he is left financially ruined and impoverished.
5. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
(a) He is trying to test a new system of measurement to see which is most accurate.
(b) He is trying to trick the King and Queen by giving them false information in his letters.
(c) He is trying to check his navigational instruments to be sure that they are working properly.
(d) He is trying to reassure the crew that they have not traveled as far without seeing land as they think they have.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
2. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
3. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
4. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
5. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)