|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
(a) Gold, silver, and pearls.
(b) Berries, animal skins, and meat.
(c) Handmade tools, sewing needles and tents.
(d) Live pigs, horses, and dogs.
2. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
(a) Four chiefs come to talk to Champlain about the location for his city.
(b) Four newspapers print the map of Champlain's route.
(c) Four of Champlain's men become sick and cannot work.
(d) Four conspirators are captured planning to assassinate Champlain.
3. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
(b) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
(c) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(d) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
4. What is De Soto looking for?
(d) The Fountain of Youth
5. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
(b) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(c) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(d) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
2. When Champlain advocates on behalf of building a colony, what is the one personal favor he asks of the King of France?
3. Who is Thomas Morton?
4. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
5. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)