|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(a) The King and Queen of Spain.
(b) Columbus and Cortez.
(c) Ponce de Leon's brother.
2. How does the death of Juan Ortiz affect De Soto?
(a) It leaves him without a translator.
(b) It makes him feel lonely and wish he had a friend.
(c) It leaves him without a doctor.
(d) It leaves him without a single soldier who knows the way back.
3. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
(a) Shape it.
(b) Celebrate it.
(c) Criticize it.
(d) Mock it.
4. What is the moral of the story about the rough sailor who falls sick, dies, and is thrown overboard?
(a) Good hygiene was the key to survival on ships.
(b) What happens to the body is not important.
(c) God smites those who use profanity.
(d) The sea can hide any secret.
5. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
(a) "In the reading and interpretation of history everything falls dead unless that reality is perceived."
(b) "There must be imagination at work to discern the fabulae of history."
(c) "History, like poetry, is an ancient trap laid for the credulous and narrow-minded."
(d) "The serious historian of the ancient world is careful never to forget his Homer."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
2. What kind of woman is Freydis?
3. Who or what is Mabilla?
4. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
5. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)