|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
(a) To find the fountain of youth.
(b) To find food and water.
(c) To find gold.
(d) To find new land for Spain.
2. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
(a) The promise to make Columbus Chief Admiral of the Ocean Sea and perpetual Viceroy and Governor of all the land he should discover.
(b) The promise to make sure that Columbus always had seaworthy ships and experienced sailors.
(c) The promise to pay Columbus in gold for his voyages.
(d) The promise to have Columbus' story printed in the newspapers so that everyone could appreciate his accomplishment.
3. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
(b) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
(c) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(d) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
4. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
(a) After he discovers a rich country.
(b) After he has traveled back to Cuba.
(c) After he runs out of supplies.
(d) After he gets through the winter.
5. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
(a) Eric the Red decides to steal from Thorgest in return, on his way into exile.
(b) Eric the Red has to give in and let Thorgest take his property.
(c) Eric the Red tries to remove his property, but Eric the Red's two sons are killed in the melee.
(d) Eric the Red removes his property, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons are killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
2. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
3. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
4. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
5. What adjective does Williams use to describe Champlain?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)