|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The May-Pole at Merry Mount.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Deeply religious.
(b) Evil and malicious.
(c) Good-natured and affectionate.
(d) Rigid and formal.
2. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
(a) He fights against Cortez and dies.
(b) He forces Cortez to accept Aztec authority.
(c) He negotiates a peace treaty that makes him equal to Cortez.
(d) He makes Cortez the monarch.
3. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
(a) He is not free to go, but goes anyway.
(b) He has been relieved of his job as Governor.
(c) He is independently wealthy and can do as he pleases.
(d) He has already accomplished all that he came for.
4. How does Ponce de Leon die?
(a) He dies of disease.
(b) He is killed by an Indian arrow.
(c) He is killed by his own men in a mutiny.
(d) He dies of old age.
5. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(a) Columbus and Cortez.
(b) The King and Queen of Spain.
(d) Ponce de Leon's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
2. What incident "greatly annoys" Champlain and delays the construction of Quebec?
3. What adjective does Williams use to describe Champlain?
4. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
5. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)