|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
(a) Marry one of her maids.
(b) Serve in the army.
(c) Serve on great councils.
(d) Go on voyages of exploration.
2. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
(a) Aaron Burr.
(b) Cotton Mather.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) George Washington.
3. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
(a) It is kind and warmhearted.
(b) It is large and generous.
(c) It is small and empty.
(d) It is rich and nourishing.
4. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
(a) He has already accomplished all that he came for.
(b) He is not free to go, but goes anyway.
(c) He is independently wealthy and can do as he pleases.
(d) He has been relieved of his job as Governor.
5. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
(a) The new King.
(b) The planter who never planted.
(c) James' man.
(d) Explorer of the Orinoco.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
2. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
3. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
4. Why are the Puritans important, according to the narrator?
5. Who is Freydis?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)