|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
(a) The Greenlanders are defeated by the people of the New World and flee in shame.
(b) Eric the Red appears with a group of young Greenlander sailors, and the Greenlanders gain the advantage in the fight.
(c) The other Greenlanders begin to flee, but Freydis grabs a sword and fights so hard that she frightens their enemies into fleeing.
(d) Helgi and Finnbogi save Freydis' life, rescuing her just as their enemies in the New World were about to kill her.
2. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
(b) Anhaica Apalachi.
3. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
(b) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(c) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
(d) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
4. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their warmth.
(b) Their toughness.
(c) Their intelligence.
(d) Their spirit.
5. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(b) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(c) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
(d) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does De Soto begin his journey into the North American mainland?
2. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
3. How does De Soto keep his men alive when the maize crop fails?
4. What is the moral of the story about the rough sailor who falls sick, dies, and is thrown overboard?
5. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)