|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
(a) He wants to go on a pilgrimmage to holy places.
(b) He wants to circumnavigate the globe.
(c) He wants to go on vacation to someplace warm and tropical.
(d) He wants to visit his family members in Portugal.
2. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
(a) Go on voyages of exploration.
(b) Marry one of her maids.
(c) Serve on great councils.
(d) Serve in the army.
3. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
(b) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
(c) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
(d) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
4. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
(a) He has already accomplished all that he came for.
(b) He is not free to go, but goes anyway.
(c) He has been relieved of his job as Governor.
(d) He is independently wealthy and can do as he pleases.
5. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends poisoned food.
(b) He sends troops to attack.
(c) He sends a threatening letter.
(d) He sends gifts to Cortez.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
2. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
3. Which of the following is NOT a term used by the narrator to describe Queen Elizabeth?
4. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
5. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)