|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(b) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(d) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
2. How does Ponce de Leon die?
(a) He dies of old age.
(b) He is killed by an Indian arrow.
(c) He is killed by his own men in a mutiny.
(d) He dies of disease.
3. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
(a) He negotiates a peace treaty that makes him equal to Cortez.
(b) He forces Cortez to accept Aztec authority.
(c) He makes Cortez the monarch.
(d) He fights against Cortez and dies.
4. What is Tenochtitlan like?
(a) It is a tiny village. The people living there are starving to death, and can offer no resistance to the Spanish.
(b) It is a fortress located high in the mountains, remote and impenetrable.
(c) It is a masterpiece of engineering; clean, with wide roads and canals, and full of beautiful gardens and markets.
(d) It is a small town surrounded by stone walls, with a large castle in the middle.
5. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
(a) He thinks that it is far too hot and humid for his taste.
(b) He thinks it is the most beautiful place he has ever seen.
(c) He thinks that he would like to build a house and live there himself.
(d) He thinks that it is too desolate to have any worthwhile resources.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator address "Sir Walter Raleigh" to?
2. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
3. What title does the narrator give Raleigh?
4. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
5. Which of the following is NOT a term used by the narrator to describe Queen Elizabeth?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)