|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
(a) De Soto.
(b) The Tuscaloosa.
(c) The female narrator.
(d) The male narrator.
2. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
(a) After he gets through the winter.
(b) After he runs out of supplies.
(c) After he has traveled back to Cuba.
(d) After he discovers a rich country.
3. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
(a) History matters only to fools.
(b) Most Americans know little of history.
(c) History is full of lies.
(d) It is dangerous to get involved in history.
4. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(b) His wife.
(c) The King and Queen of Spain.
(d) His family members in Europe.
5. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends poisoned food.
(b) He sends a threatening letter.
(c) He sends gifts to Cortez.
(d) He sends troops to attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
2. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
3. Why are the Puritans important, according to the narrator?
4. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
5. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)