|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
(a) They are afraid being imaginative would cut them off from the others.
(b) They believe that God does not approve of imagination.
(c) They do not have materials with which to exercise their creativity.
(d) They think their lives depend on doing things the same way every time.
2. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
(b) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
(c) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
(d) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
3. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their spirit.
(b) Their intelligence.
(c) Their warmth.
(d) Their toughness.
4. What prevents Raleigh from going to the Virginia colonies?
(a) The death of the queen.
(b) The death of his wife.
(c) The death of his son.
(d) His own death.
5. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(b) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(d) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
2. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
3. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
4. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
5. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)