|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
(b) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(c) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
(d) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
2. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
(a) English literature.
(b) Classical literature.
(c) American literature.
(d) Modern literature.
3. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
(a) It is kind and warmhearted.
(b) It is large and generous.
(c) It is small and empty.
(d) It is rich and nourishing.
4. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(b) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(d) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
5. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
(a) Explorer of the Orinoco.
(b) The new King.
(c) The planter who never planted.
(d) James' man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
2. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
3. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
4. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
5. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)