|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
(a) Eric the Red removes his property, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons are killed.
(b) Eric the Red decides to steal from Thorgest in return, on his way into exile.
(c) Eric the Red tries to remove his property, but Eric the Red's two sons are killed in the melee.
(d) Eric the Red has to give in and let Thorgest take his property.
2. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
(a) Helgi and Finnbogi save Freydis' life, rescuing her just as their enemies in the New World were about to kill her.
(b) The other Greenlanders begin to flee, but Freydis grabs a sword and fights so hard that she frightens their enemies into fleeing.
(c) The Greenlanders are defeated by the people of the New World and flee in shame.
(d) Eric the Red appears with a group of young Greenlander sailors, and the Greenlanders gain the advantage in the fight.
3. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
(a) He sent his son on a mission that got him killed.
(b) He was an atheist.
(c) He had no regard for the safety of his colonists.
(d) He broke Queen Elizabeth's heart.
4. Who is Freydis?
(a) Eric the Red's lover.
(b) Eric the Red's daughter.
(c) Eric the Red's wife.
(d) Eric the Red's sister.
5. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
(a) It is small and empty.
(b) It is kind and warmhearted.
(c) It is rich and nourishing.
(d) It is large and generous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
2. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
3. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
4. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
5. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)