|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
(a) Handmade tools, sewing needles and tents.
(b) Gold, silver, and pearls.
(c) Berries, animal skins, and meat.
(d) Live pigs, horses, and dogs.
2. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
(a) The promise to make sure that Columbus always had seaworthy ships and experienced sailors.
(b) The promise to pay Columbus in gold for his voyages.
(c) The promise to have Columbus' story printed in the newspapers so that everyone could appreciate his accomplishment.
(d) The promise to make Columbus Chief Admiral of the Ocean Sea and perpetual Viceroy and Governor of all the land he should discover.
3. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their spirit.
(b) Their warmth.
(c) Their intelligence.
(d) Their toughness.
4. Who or what is Mabilla?
(a) The river along which De Soto and his men were traveling.
(b) The woman who traveled with De Soto and translated for him.
(c) The place Do Soto had heard of, called a "country toward the rising sun."
(d) The town where the Tuscaloosa attacked De Soto and his men.
5. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
(a) The Inuit.
(b) The Skrellings.
(c) The Abenaki.
(d) The Iroquois.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
2. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
3. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
4. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
5. Where does De Soto begin his journey into the North American mainland?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)