|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
(b) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
(c) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(d) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
2. What is Tenochtitlan like?
(a) It is a tiny village. The people living there are starving to death, and can offer no resistance to the Spanish.
(b) It is a small town surrounded by stone walls, with a large castle in the middle.
(c) It is a masterpiece of engineering; clean, with wide roads and canals, and full of beautiful gardens and markets.
(d) It is a fortress located high in the mountains, remote and impenetrable.
3. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
(a) "This is my portion. I do not call it not to my liking. Hardship lives in me."
(b) "...this is what they say: Eric, son of evil, come and be forgiven."
(c) "One or the other of us had to die, under the natural circumstance."
(d) "Eric the Red is a marked man, beyond the law, so it would seem..."
4. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
(a) He thinks it is wonderful and magnificent.
(b) He looks upon it as an impoverished village.
(c) He wonders where the gold is.
(d) He mentally calculates the number of slaves that could be captured.
5. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their intelligence.
(b) Their spirit.
(c) Their toughness.
(d) Their warmth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
2. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
3. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
4. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
5. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)