|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
(a) The promise to have Columbus' story printed in the newspapers so that everyone could appreciate his accomplishment.
(b) The promise to pay Columbus in gold for his voyages.
(c) The promise to make Columbus Chief Admiral of the Ocean Sea and perpetual Viceroy and Governor of all the land he should discover.
(d) The promise to make sure that Columbus always had seaworthy ships and experienced sailors.
2. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
(a) He thinks that it is too desolate to have any worthwhile resources.
(b) He thinks it is the most beautiful place he has ever seen.
(c) He thinks that it is far too hot and humid for his taste.
(d) He thinks that he would like to build a house and live there himself.
3. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
(a) Serve in the army.
(b) Serve on great councils.
(c) Go on voyages of exploration.
(d) Marry one of her maids.
4. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(b) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(d) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
5. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
(a) He accidentally kills her without knowing who she is.
(b) He finds her later working as a slave.
(c) He finds her later under a bush with her hands cut off.
(d) His men capture her and steal the crucifix back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
2. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
3. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
4. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
5. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)