|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(b) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
(c) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
(d) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
2. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
(a) People can steal from him at will.
(b) He is lonely and despondent.
(c) People try to kill him when they see him.
(d) He is more well-admired than ever before.
3. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
(a) A bird.
(b) A cat.
(c) A snake.
(d) A dog.
4. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
(b) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
(c) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
(d) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
5. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
(a) Eric the Red removes his property, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons are killed.
(b) Eric the Red decides to steal from Thorgest in return, on his way into exile.
(c) Eric the Red tries to remove his property, but Eric the Red's two sons are killed in the melee.
(d) Eric the Red has to give in and let Thorgest take his property.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
2. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
3. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
4. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
5. What kind of woman is Freydis?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)