|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
(b) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
(c) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
(d) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
2. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
(b) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
(c) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
(d) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
3. What do bows and arrows, corn meal, and belief in a second life all have in common, according to the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh"?
(a) They are invented by all peoples.
(b) They are found in all villages.
(c) They are necessary to colonization.
(d) They are things all people can do without.
4. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
5. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
(a) Because they are worried that they will never make it back to Spain.
(b) Because they are afraid that they will all be killed in battle.
(c) Because they have become infected with diseases and are experiencing epidemics.
(d) Because he has subjected them to many hardships and they have found no gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
2. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
3. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
4. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
5. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)