|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do bows and arrows, corn meal, and belief in a second life all have in common, according to the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh"?
(a) They are things all people can do without.
(b) They are found in all villages.
(c) They are necessary to colonization.
(d) They are invented by all peoples.
2. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
(a) Freydis' family is always thought to be evil after that.
(b) Freydis is exiled from her community like Eric the Red.
(c) Freydis is tried in criminal court and jailed for her actions.
(d) Freydis becomes a politician and the leader of her community.
3. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
(d) A desire to help.
4. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
(a) It is large and generous.
(b) It is kind and warmhearted.
(c) It is rich and nourishing.
(d) It is small and empty.
5. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
(a) To find gold.
(b) To find food and water.
(c) To find new land for Spain.
(d) To find the fountain of youth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
2. How does the death of Juan Ortiz affect De Soto?
3. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
4. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
5. Why does Queen Elizabeth call Raleigh back when he goes with the fleet to attack Spain?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)