|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
(b) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
(c) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(d) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
2. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(b) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(d) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
3. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
(b) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(c) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
(d) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
4. What kind of woman is Freydis?
5. What is Tenochtitlan like?
(a) It is a masterpiece of engineering; clean, with wide roads and canals, and full of beautiful gardens and markets.
(b) It is a fortress located high in the mountains, remote and impenetrable.
(c) It is a small town surrounded by stone walls, with a large castle in the middle.
(d) It is a tiny village. The people living there are starving to death, and can offer no resistance to the Spanish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
2. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
3. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
4. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
5. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)