|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
(b) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
(c) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(d) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
2. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
(a) The Abenaki.
(b) The Iroquois.
(c) The Skrellings.
(d) The Inuit.
3. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(b) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
(c) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(d) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
4. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
(a) "This is my portion. I do not call it not to my liking. Hardship lives in me."
(b) "Eric the Red is a marked man, beyond the law, so it would seem..."
(c) "...this is what they say: Eric, son of evil, come and be forgiven."
(d) "One or the other of us had to die, under the natural circumstance."
5. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
(b) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
(c) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
(d) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
2. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
3. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
4. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
5. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)