|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
(a) After he has traveled back to Cuba.
(b) After he gets through the winter.
(c) After he runs out of supplies.
(d) After he discovers a rich country.
2. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
(a) English literature.
(b) American literature.
(c) Modern literature.
(d) Classical literature.
3. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
(a) Helgi and Finnbogi save Freydis' life, rescuing her just as their enemies in the New World were about to kill her.
(b) The other Greenlanders begin to flee, but Freydis grabs a sword and fights so hard that she frightens their enemies into fleeing.
(c) Eric the Red appears with a group of young Greenlander sailors, and the Greenlanders gain the advantage in the fight.
(d) The Greenlanders are defeated by the people of the New World and flee in shame.
4. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(b) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(c) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
(d) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
5. What is Tenochtitlan like?
(a) It is a masterpiece of engineering; clean, with wide roads and canals, and full of beautiful gardens and markets.
(b) It is a small town surrounded by stone walls, with a large castle in the middle.
(c) It is a tiny village. The people living there are starving to death, and can offer no resistance to the Spanish.
(d) It is a fortress located high in the mountains, remote and impenetrable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Freydis?
2. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
3. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
4. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
5. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)