|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) William Carlos Williams.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
2. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(b) His wife.
(c) His family members in Europe.
(d) The King and Queen of Spain.
3. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
(b) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
(c) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
(d) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
4. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
(a) Live pigs, horses, and dogs.
(b) Handmade tools, sewing needles and tents.
(c) Gold, silver, and pearls.
(d) Berries, animal skins, and meat.
5. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
(a) To prove that Walter Raleigh was a coward.
(b) To show the lyricism of Williams' prose.
(c) To suggest that even Williams cannot answer all of history's questions.
(d) To demonstrate that history must judge the actions of historical figures.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is Mabilla?
2. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
3. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
4. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
5. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)