|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
(a) He has been relieved of his job as Governor.
(b) He is not free to go, but goes anyway.
(c) He is independently wealthy and can do as he pleases.
(d) He has already accomplished all that he came for.
2. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
(a) After he runs out of supplies.
(b) After he has traveled back to Cuba.
(c) After he gets through the winter.
(d) After he discovers a rich country.
3. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
(a) To demonstrate that history must judge the actions of historical figures.
(b) To show the lyricism of Williams' prose.
(c) To prove that Walter Raleigh was a coward.
(d) To suggest that even Williams cannot answer all of history's questions.
4. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
(a) Freedom is based on ideas, not experiences.
(b) To be truly free, you have to be true to yourself and your heritage.
(c) Only staying at home can free you to travel elsewhere.
(d) To be free you have to break apart from your background and upbringing.
5. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(b) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
(c) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(d) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
2. Who or what is Mabilla?
3. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
4. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
5. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)