|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
(a) His men capture her and steal the crucifix back.
(b) He finds her later under a bush with her hands cut off.
(c) He finds her later working as a slave.
(d) He accidentally kills her without knowing who she is.
2. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
(a) He is trying to test a new system of measurement to see which is most accurate.
(b) He is trying to trick the King and Queen by giving them false information in his letters.
(c) He is trying to reassure the crew that they have not traveled as far without seeing land as they think they have.
(d) He is trying to check his navigational instruments to be sure that they are working properly.
3. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
(b) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(c) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
(d) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
4. Who or what is Mabilla?
(a) The woman who traveled with De Soto and translated for him.
(b) The town where the Tuscaloosa attacked De Soto and his men.
(c) The place Do Soto had heard of, called a "country toward the rising sun."
(d) The river along which De Soto and his men were traveling.
5. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
(b) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(c) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(d) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
2. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
3. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
4. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
5. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)