|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
(b) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
(c) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
(d) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
2. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' foolhardiness.
(b) Columbus' good judgment.
(c) Columbus' literary skill.
(d) Columbus' courage.
3. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
(a) Most Americans know little of history.
(b) History is full of lies.
(c) History matters only to fools.
(d) It is dangerous to get involved in history.
4. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
(a) He does not get along with Maldonado.
(b) He thinks that Maldonado might get credit for De Soto's accomplishments.
(c) He fears that Maldonado would antagonize the Indians.
(d) He thinks he might be forced to offer Maldonado some help.
5. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
(a) He is more well-admired than ever before.
(b) People can steal from him at will.
(c) He is lonely and despondent.
(d) People try to kill him when they see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman is Freydis?
2. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
3. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
4. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
5. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)