|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
(a) De Soto.
(b) The female narrator.
(c) The Tuscaloosa.
(d) The male narrator.
2. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' courage.
(b) Columbus' foolhardiness.
(c) Columbus' good judgment.
(d) Columbus' literary skill.
3. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
4. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
(a) "This is my portion. I do not call it not to my liking. Hardship lives in me."
(b) "One or the other of us had to die, under the natural circumstance."
(c) "Eric the Red is a marked man, beyond the law, so it would seem..."
(d) "...this is what they say: Eric, son of evil, come and be forgiven."
5. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
(a) A cat.
(b) A snake.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman is Freydis?
2. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
3. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
4. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
5. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)