|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
(a) Celebrate it.
(b) Mock it.
(c) Shape it.
(d) Criticize it.
2. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
(a) "In the reading and interpretation of history everything falls dead unless that reality is perceived."
(b) "There must be imagination at work to discern the fabulae of history."
(c) "The serious historian of the ancient world is careful never to forget his Homer."
(d) "History, like poetry, is an ancient trap laid for the credulous and narrow-minded."
3. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(a) The King and Queen of Spain.
(c) Columbus and Cortez.
(d) Ponce de Leon's brother.
4. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
(a) A compendium of dates, data, and quotations.
(b) A science in its own right.
(c) A tapestry of culture and stories.
(d) A story written only by the winners.
5. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
(b) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
(c) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
(d) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
2. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
3. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
4. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
5. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)