|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
(a) The male narrator.
(b) The female narrator.
(c) De Soto.
(d) The Tuscaloosa.
2. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
(b) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
(c) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
(d) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
3. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(b) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(c) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(d) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
4. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
(a) He and his men defeat them easily.
(b) He and his men win after a long battle.
(c) He is forced to negotiate a temporary treaty in order to escape with his life.
(d) He loses everything and has to flee with his men.
5. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
(a) He thinks that Maldonado might get credit for De Soto's accomplishments.
(b) He thinks he might be forced to offer Maldonado some help.
(c) He does not get along with Maldonado.
(d) He fears that Maldonado would antagonize the Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
2. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
3. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
4. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
5. Who or what is Mabilla?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)