|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
(a) He finds her later under a bush with her hands cut off.
(b) He finds her later working as a slave.
(c) His men capture her and steal the crucifix back.
(d) He accidentally kills her without knowing who she is.
2. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
(a) A science in its own right.
(b) A compendium of dates, data, and quotations.
(c) A tapestry of culture and stories.
(d) A story written only by the winners.
3. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
(a) He thinks that he would like to build a house and live there himself.
(b) He thinks that it is far too hot and humid for his taste.
(c) He thinks it is the most beautiful place he has ever seen.
(d) He thinks that it is too desolate to have any worthwhile resources.
4. Where does De Soto begin his journey into the North American mainland?
5. What kind of woman is Freydis?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is Mabilla?
2. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
3. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
4. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
5. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)