|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(b) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(c) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
(d) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
2. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
(a) A snake.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A bird.
3. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
(b) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(c) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
(d) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
4. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(b) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(c) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(d) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
5. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is Mabilla?
2. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
3. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
4. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
5. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)