|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
(a) He is hit on the head by a stone, which kills him.
(b) He stirs the Aztecs to resist even more fiercely than before.
(c) He frightens the Aztecs and they run away.
(d) He convinces the Aztecs to lay down their arms peacefully.
2. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(a) Columbus and Cortez.
(b) Ponce de Leon's brother.
(d) The King and Queen of Spain.
3. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
(b) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
(c) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
(d) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
4. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
(b) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(c) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
(d) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
5. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
(a) He feels that he should be allowed to see a doctor.
(b) He has been a dedicated servant of the King and Queen for his entire life.
(c) He is sorry to see that the best years of his life are behind him.
(d) He is worried about who will take on his work after he dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
2. What kind of woman is Freydis?
3. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
4. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
5. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)