|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
(a) He stirs the Aztecs to resist even more fiercely than before.
(b) He convinces the Aztecs to lay down their arms peacefully.
(c) He is hit on the head by a stone, which kills him.
(d) He frightens the Aztecs and they run away.
2. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
(a) He thinks that it is far too hot and humid for his taste.
(b) He thinks that it is too desolate to have any worthwhile resources.
(c) He thinks that he would like to build a house and live there himself.
(d) He thinks it is the most beautiful place he has ever seen.
3. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
(a) He opens his larder to all who wish to eat and drink.
(b) He refuses to feed the hungry, demanding instead that they pay tribute to him.
(c) He gives everyone who comes into the city a small ration of food.
(d) He offers food to anyone who is willing to do some work.
4. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
(b) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(c) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
(d) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
5. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
(a) William Carlos Williams.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is Mabilla?
2. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
3. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
4. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
5. What is De Soto looking for?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)