|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
(b) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
(c) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
(d) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
2. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
(b) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(c) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
(d) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
3. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
(a) A child.
(b) One of his own men.
(c) An old man.
(d) An old woman.
4. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
(a) Anhaica Apalachi.
5. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
(a) He is trying to test a new system of measurement to see which is most accurate.
(b) He is trying to trick the King and Queen by giving them false information in his letters.
(c) He is trying to reassure the crew that they have not traveled as far without seeing land as they think they have.
(d) He is trying to check his navigational instruments to be sure that they are working properly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
2. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
3. What kind of woman is Freydis?
4. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
5. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)