|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
(b) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
(c) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
(d) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
2. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
(b) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
(c) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
(d) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
3. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(b) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
(c) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(d) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
4. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
(a) He fears that Maldonado would antagonize the Indians.
(b) He does not get along with Maldonado.
(c) He thinks that Maldonado might get credit for De Soto's accomplishments.
(d) He thinks he might be forced to offer Maldonado some help.
5. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
(a) It became more popular as it was falling out of print.
(b) It became more popular when it was published in a magazine.
(c) It became more popular after Williams died.
(d) It became more popular when it was marketed more aggressively.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
2. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
3. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
4. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
5. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)