|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
(a) Most Americans know little of history.
(b) It is dangerous to get involved in history.
(c) History is full of lies.
(d) History matters only to fools.
2. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
(a) The Abenaki.
(b) The Skrellings.
(c) The Inuit.
(d) The Iroquois.
3. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
(b) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(c) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
(d) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
4. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
(a) He thinks that he would like to build a house and live there himself.
(b) He thinks that it is too desolate to have any worthwhile resources.
(c) He thinks it is the most beautiful place he has ever seen.
(d) He thinks that it is far too hot and humid for his taste.
5. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
(a) He is trying to trick the King and Queen by giving them false information in his letters.
(b) He is trying to reassure the crew that they have not traveled as far without seeing land as they think they have.
(c) He is trying to check his navigational instruments to be sure that they are working properly.
(d) He is trying to test a new system of measurement to see which is most accurate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman is Freydis?
2. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
3. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
4. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
5. Where does De Soto begin his journey into the North American mainland?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)