|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
(a) To suggest that even Williams cannot answer all of history's questions.
(b) To prove that Walter Raleigh was a coward.
(c) To demonstrate that history must judge the actions of historical figures.
(d) To show the lyricism of Williams' prose.
2. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
(a) The Abenaki.
(b) The Inuit.
(c) The Skrellings.
(d) The Iroquois.
3. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
(a) Eric the Red has to give in and let Thorgest take his property.
(b) Eric the Red removes his property, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons are killed.
(c) Eric the Red decides to steal from Thorgest in return, on his way into exile.
(d) Eric the Red tries to remove his property, but Eric the Red's two sons are killed in the melee.
4. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
(a) He gives everyone who comes into the city a small ration of food.
(b) He offers food to anyone who is willing to do some work.
(c) He refuses to feed the hungry, demanding instead that they pay tribute to him.
(d) He opens his larder to all who wish to eat and drink.
5. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Deeply religious.
(b) Evil and malicious.
(c) Rigid and formal.
(d) Good-natured and affectionate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
2. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
3. What is De Soto looking for?
4. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
5. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)