|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(a) Ponce de Leon's brother.
(b) The King and Queen of Spain.
(d) Columbus and Cortez.
2. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
(a) Criticize it.
(b) Mock it.
(c) Celebrate it.
(d) Shape it.
3. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
(a) He finds her later working as a slave.
(b) He accidentally kills her without knowing who she is.
(c) He finds her later under a bush with her hands cut off.
(d) His men capture her and steal the crucifix back.
4. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
(b) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
(c) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
(d) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
5. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
(a) The chapter on Daniel Boone.
(b) The chapter on John Paul Jones.
(c) The chapter on Christopher Columbus.
(d) The chapter on Cotton Mather.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
2. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
3. Who or what is Mabilla?
4. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
5. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)