|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
(a) "The serious historian of the ancient world is careful never to forget his Homer."
(b) "In the reading and interpretation of history everything falls dead unless that reality is perceived."
(c) "There must be imagination at work to discern the fabulae of history."
(d) "History, like poetry, is an ancient trap laid for the credulous and narrow-minded."
2. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
(b) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
(c) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(d) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
3. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
(a) Eric the Red decides to steal from Thorgest in return, on his way into exile.
(b) Eric the Red tries to remove his property, but Eric the Red's two sons are killed in the melee.
(c) Eric the Red has to give in and let Thorgest take his property.
(d) Eric the Red removes his property, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons are killed.
4. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
(a) The chapter on Daniel Boone.
(b) The chapter on Cotton Mather.
(c) The chapter on John Paul Jones.
(d) The chapter on Christopher Columbus.
5. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
(a) A tapestry of culture and stories.
(b) A compendium of dates, data, and quotations.
(c) A story written only by the winners.
(d) A science in its own right.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
2. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
3. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
4. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
5. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)