|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Rigid and formal.
(b) Deeply religious.
(c) Good-natured and affectionate.
(d) Evil and malicious.
2. What is Tenochtitlan like?
(a) It is a small town surrounded by stone walls, with a large castle in the middle.
(b) It is a tiny village. The people living there are starving to death, and can offer no resistance to the Spanish.
(c) It is a fortress located high in the mountains, remote and impenetrable.
(d) It is a masterpiece of engineering; clean, with wide roads and canals, and full of beautiful gardens and markets.
3. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
(b) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
(c) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
(d) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
4. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
(a) A compendium of dates, data, and quotations.
(b) A story written only by the winners.
(c) A science in its own right.
(d) A tapestry of culture and stories.
5. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
(a) Only staying at home can free you to travel elsewhere.
(b) To be truly free, you have to be true to yourself and your heritage.
(c) To be free you have to break apart from your background and upbringing.
(d) Freedom is based on ideas, not experiences.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
2. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
3. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
4. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
5. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)