|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
(a) He and his men defeat them easily.
(b) He is forced to negotiate a temporary treaty in order to escape with his life.
(c) He and his men win after a long battle.
(d) He loses everything and has to flee with his men.
2. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
3. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
(a) Modern literature.
(b) Classical literature.
(c) American literature.
(d) English literature.
4. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
(a) To be truly free, you have to be true to yourself and your heritage.
(b) Only staying at home can free you to travel elsewhere.
(c) Freedom is based on ideas, not experiences.
(d) To be free you have to break apart from your background and upbringing.
5. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
(a) He is lonely and despondent.
(b) People can steal from him at will.
(c) He is more well-admired than ever before.
(d) People try to kill him when they see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
2. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
3. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
4. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
5. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)