|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
(a) The other Greenlanders begin to flee, but Freydis grabs a sword and fights so hard that she frightens their enemies into fleeing.
(b) Eric the Red appears with a group of young Greenlander sailors, and the Greenlanders gain the advantage in the fight.
(c) Helgi and Finnbogi save Freydis' life, rescuing her just as their enemies in the New World were about to kill her.
(d) The Greenlanders are defeated by the people of the New World and flee in shame.
2. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
(a) The chapter on Daniel Boone.
(b) The chapter on John Paul Jones.
(c) The chapter on Christopher Columbus.
(d) The chapter on Cotton Mather.
3. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
(a) It became more popular when it was published in a magazine.
(b) It became more popular after Williams died.
(c) It became more popular as it was falling out of print.
(d) It became more popular when it was marketed more aggressively.
4. Who is Freydis?
(a) Eric the Red's wife.
(b) Eric the Red's sister.
(c) Eric the Red's daughter.
(d) Eric the Red's lover.
5. What is Tenochtitlan like?
(a) It is a tiny village. The people living there are starving to death, and can offer no resistance to the Spanish.
(b) It is a fortress located high in the mountains, remote and impenetrable.
(c) It is a small town surrounded by stone walls, with a large castle in the middle.
(d) It is a masterpiece of engineering; clean, with wide roads and canals, and full of beautiful gardens and markets.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
2. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
3. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
4. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
5. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)