|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of woman is Freydis?
2. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
(b) William Carlos Williams.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
3. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
(a) To prove that Walter Raleigh was a coward.
(b) To demonstrate that history must judge the actions of historical figures.
(c) To show the lyricism of Williams' prose.
(d) To suggest that even Williams cannot answer all of history's questions.
4. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Rigid and formal.
(b) Deeply religious.
(c) Good-natured and affectionate.
(d) Evil and malicious.
5. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
(a) To be free you have to break apart from your background and upbringing.
(b) Only staying at home can free you to travel elsewhere.
(c) Freedom is based on ideas, not experiences.
(d) To be truly free, you have to be true to yourself and your heritage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
2. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
3. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
4. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
5. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)