|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
(a) He mentally calculates the number of slaves that could be captured.
(b) He thinks it is wonderful and magnificent.
(c) He wonders where the gold is.
(d) He looks upon it as an impoverished village.
2. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(b) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
(c) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
(d) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
3. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
(a) History is full of lies.
(b) Most Americans know little of history.
(c) It is dangerous to get involved in history.
(d) History matters only to fools.
4. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(b) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(c) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(d) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
5. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
2. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
3. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
4. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
5. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)