|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
(a) He convinces the Aztecs to lay down their arms peacefully.
(b) He stirs the Aztecs to resist even more fiercely than before.
(c) He frightens the Aztecs and they run away.
(d) He is hit on the head by a stone, which kills him.
2. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
(b) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
(c) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
(d) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
3. What is Tenochtitlan like?
(a) It is a tiny village. The people living there are starving to death, and can offer no resistance to the Spanish.
(b) It is a fortress located high in the mountains, remote and impenetrable.
(c) It is a small town surrounded by stone walls, with a large castle in the middle.
(d) It is a masterpiece of engineering; clean, with wide roads and canals, and full of beautiful gardens and markets.
4. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(b) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(d) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
5. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
(a) Eric the Red tries to remove his property, but Eric the Red's two sons are killed in the melee.
(b) Eric the Red removes his property, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons are killed.
(c) Eric the Red has to give in and let Thorgest take his property.
(d) Eric the Red decides to steal from Thorgest in return, on his way into exile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
2. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
3. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
4. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
5. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)