|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
(a) He is worried about who will take on his work after he dies.
(b) He feels that he should be allowed to see a doctor.
(c) He has been a dedicated servant of the King and Queen for his entire life.
(d) He is sorry to see that the best years of his life are behind him.
2. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
3. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
(b) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(c) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(d) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
4. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
(a) It is dangerous to get involved in history.
(b) Most Americans know little of history.
(c) History is full of lies.
(d) History matters only to fools.
5. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
(a) Yes, he is rewarded with all the gold he could ever want.
(b) No, but at least the voyages do not harm him financially.
(c) No, he is left financially ruined and impoverished.
(d) Yes, he is able to sell many things that he took from the islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
2. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
3. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
4. What does Gregory mean when he says that "if anyone is looking for the secret of their good health and the freedom they exert within an individual speech and manner, it may be found in their determination to 'stay at home,' to accept the roots of their being and to grow slowly to their own maturity."
5. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)