|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
(b) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(c) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(d) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
2. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(b) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(d) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
3. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
(a) A story written only by the winners.
(b) A compendium of dates, data, and quotations.
(c) A tapestry of culture and stories.
(d) A science in its own right.
4. What kind of woman is Freydis?
5. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
(b) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
(c) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
(d) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
2. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
3. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
4. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
5. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)