|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
(a) He offers food to anyone who is willing to do some work.
(b) He gives everyone who comes into the city a small ration of food.
(c) He opens his larder to all who wish to eat and drink.
(d) He refuses to feed the hungry, demanding instead that they pay tribute to him.
2. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
(a) History matters only to fools.
(b) It is dangerous to get involved in history.
(c) Most Americans know little of history.
(d) History is full of lies.
3. What is Tenochtitlan like?
(a) It is a fortress located high in the mountains, remote and impenetrable.
(b) It is a masterpiece of engineering; clean, with wide roads and canals, and full of beautiful gardens and markets.
(c) It is a tiny village. The people living there are starving to death, and can offer no resistance to the Spanish.
(d) It is a small town surrounded by stone walls, with a large castle in the middle.
4. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
(b) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
(c) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
(d) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
5. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
(b) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
(c) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
(d) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
2. Which chapter does Gregory say is in some ways the product of the era in which it was written?
3. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
4. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
5. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)