|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
(a) He fights against Cortez and dies.
(b) He makes Cortez the monarch.
(c) He negotiates a peace treaty that makes him equal to Cortez.
(d) He forces Cortez to accept Aztec authority.
2. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
(b) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
(c) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
(d) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
3. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Rigid and formal.
(b) Good-natured and affectionate.
(c) Evil and malicious.
(d) Deeply religious.
4. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
5. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
(b) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
(c) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
(d) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
2. What kind of woman is Freydis?
3. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
4. What does Gregory think that In the American Grain is meant to do for the American national identity?
5. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)