|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
(a) Freydis' family is always thought to be evil after that.
(b) Freydis becomes a politician and the leader of her community.
(c) Freydis is tried in criminal court and jailed for her actions.
(d) Freydis is exiled from her community like Eric the Red.
2. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
(b) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
(c) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
(d) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
3. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Aaron Burr.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Cotton Mather.
4. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
(a) He convinces the Aztecs to lay down their arms peacefully.
(b) He stirs the Aztecs to resist even more fiercely than before.
(c) He frightens the Aztecs and they run away.
(d) He is hit on the head by a stone, which kills him.
5. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
(a) He forces Cortez to accept Aztec authority.
(b) He negotiates a peace treaty that makes him equal to Cortez.
(c) He makes Cortez the monarch.
(d) He fights against Cortez and dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
2. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
3. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
4. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
5. Toward the end of the introduction, Gregory quotes the following passage: "Question him in hell, O Muse, where he has gone, and when there is an answer, sing and make clear the reasons that he gave for that last blow. Why did he send his son into that tropic jungle and not go himself, upon so dangerous an errand?" Why does Gregory include this quote?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)