|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Freydis?
(a) Eric the Red's wife.
(b) Eric the Red's daughter.
(c) Eric the Red's lover.
(d) Eric the Red's sister.
2. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
(b) William Carlos Williams.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
3. In his conclusion, what word does Gregory use to characterize Williams' prose?
4. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
(a) A story written only by the winners.
(b) A tapestry of culture and stories.
(c) A compendium of dates, data, and quotations.
(d) A science in its own right.
5. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
(a) Aaron Burr.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Cotton Mather.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
2. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
3. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
4. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
5. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)