Eight Week Quiz G
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Edgar Allen Poe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends gifts to Cortez.
(b) He sends poisoned food.
(c) He sends troops to attack.
(d) He sends a threatening letter.
2. How does Jones feel about the battle?
(a) He says that it is exciting.
(b) He says that it is necessary.
(c) He says that it is beautiful.
(d) He says that it is horrifying.
3. How does Poe respond to Lowell's criticism of him in verse?
(a) He says that he does not write for Mr. Lowell or for any other man but for himself.
(b) He says that Mr. Lowell should not use the anapestic rhythm, as he does not have an ear for it.
(c) He says that Mr. Lowell does not understand what makes his work unique and original.
(d) He says that Mr. Lowell should stick to writing about topics that he knows more about.
4. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
(a) Serve in the army.
(b) Marry one of her maids.
(c) Serve on great councils.
(d) Go on voyages of exploration.
5. What does Gregory say about the way in which the reputation of In the American Grain grew?
(a) It became more popular as it was falling out of print.
(b) It became more popular when it was marketed more aggressively.
(c) It became more popular when it was published in a magazine.
(d) It became more popular after Williams died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
2. What event in Poe's life trapped him in his poetry?
3. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
4. What state does Houston become Governor of, and later serve as a U.S. Senator from?
5. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)