Eight Week Quiz E
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poor Richard Benjamin Franklin.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
(b) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(c) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(d) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
2. What happens when Bridget Bishop attempts to plead not guilty?
(a) She is allowed to speak on her own behalf.
(b) She is convicted of gross lying in the court.
(c) She is tortured until she confesses.
(d) She is denied the chance to hear the witnesses against her.
3. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
(a) It is very hard to earn a living by farming in America.
(b) They can move there and quickly be elected to political office.
(c) Americans place a high value on leisure time and do not like to work.
(d) It is a dangerous place because there are so many Indian raids.
4. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
5. What would Gregory be most likely to describe history as?
(a) A story written only by the winners.
(b) A tapestry of culture and stories.
(c) A compendium of dates, data, and quotations.
(d) A science in its own right.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator address "Sir Walter Raleigh" to?
2. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
3. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
4. What does the narrator say about Washington's attitude toward the presidency?
5. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)