|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voyage of the Mayflower.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of woman is Freydis?
2. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
(a) Become a diplomat.
(b) Marry one of her maids.
(c) Join the crew of a ship heading to the Americas.
(d) Travel to Africa.
3. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their spirit.
(b) Their toughness.
(c) Their warmth.
(d) Their intelligence.
4. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(b) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(c) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(d) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
5. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
(a) "The serious historian of the ancient world is careful never to forget his Homer."
(b) "In the reading and interpretation of history everything falls dead unless that reality is perceived."
(c) "There must be imagination at work to discern the fabulae of history."
(d) "History, like poetry, is an ancient trap laid for the credulous and narrow-minded."
Short Answer Questions
1. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
2. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
3. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
4. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
5. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)