Eight Week Quiz B
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through DeSoto and the New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
2. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(a) Columbus and Cortez.
(c) Ponce de Leon's brother.
(d) The King and Queen of Spain.
3. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
(a) He thinks that Maldonado might get credit for De Soto's accomplishments.
(b) He thinks he might be forced to offer Maldonado some help.
(c) He fears that Maldonado would antagonize the Indians.
(d) He does not get along with Maldonado.
4. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
(b) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(c) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
(d) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
5. Which statement shows that Gregory believes that most people revere history without understanding it?
(a) "In the reading and interpretation of history everything falls dead unless that reality is perceived."
(b) "The serious historian of the ancient world is careful never to forget his Homer."
(c) "There must be imagination at work to discern the fabulae of history."
(d) "History, like poetry, is an ancient trap laid for the credulous and narrow-minded."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
2. How does the death of Juan Ortiz affect De Soto?
3. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
4. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
5. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)