|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Destruction of Tenochtitlan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gregory say is depicted more boldly by Williams than by any other writer?
(a) Cotton Mather.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Aaron Burr.
2. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends a threatening letter.
(b) He sends troops to attack.
(c) He sends poisoned food.
(d) He sends gifts to Cortez.
3. What author does Gregory say is never accused of being insincere?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) William Carlos Williams.
4. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
(a) The Iroquois.
(b) The Skrellings.
(c) The Inuit.
(d) The Abenaki.
5. At the beginning of the Introduction, Horace Gregory quotes William Carlos Williams as saying "History, history! We fools, what do we know or care?" What does Gregory think Williams means by this?
(a) History matters only to fools.
(b) It is dangerous to get involved in history.
(c) Most Americans know little of history.
(d) History is full of lies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
2. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
3. What kind of literature does Gregory say is forced to answer the question of whether or not it is sincere?
4. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
5. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)