|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(b) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(c) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(d) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
2. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends a threatening letter.
(b) He sends poisoned food.
(c) He sends troops to attack.
(d) He sends gifts to Cortez.
3. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
(a) The Greenlanders are defeated by the people of the New World and flee in shame.
(b) The other Greenlanders begin to flee, but Freydis grabs a sword and fights so hard that she frightens their enemies into fleeing.
(c) Helgi and Finnbogi save Freydis' life, rescuing her just as their enemies in the New World were about to kill her.
(d) Eric the Red appears with a group of young Greenlander sailors, and the Greenlanders gain the advantage in the fight.
4. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
(a) He negotiates a peace treaty that makes him equal to Cortez.
(b) He makes Cortez the monarch.
(c) He fights against Cortez and dies.
(d) He forces Cortez to accept Aztec authority.
5. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
(a) Explorer of the Orinoco.
(b) James' man.
(c) The new King.
(d) The planter who never planted.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
2. What famous ship does Williams say that a slave ship is the counterpart to?
3. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
4. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
5. What does William Carlos Williams say is the most important thing to remember about people who are descended from Africans who were brought to the Americas in slavery?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)