|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
(a) "Eric the Red is a marked man, beyond the law, so it would seem..."
(b) "One or the other of us had to die, under the natural circumstance."
(c) "This is my portion. I do not call it not to my liking. Hardship lives in me."
(d) "...this is what they say: Eric, son of evil, come and be forgiven."
2. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They insist that God told them to do it.
(b) They claim that Indians had no souls.
(c) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
(d) They call the killings self-defense.
3. What prevents Raleigh from going to the Virginia colonies?
(a) The death of the queen.
(b) The death of his wife.
(c) The death of his son.
(d) His own death.
4. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
(a) Creativity and genius.
(b) Know-nothingism and opportunism.
(c) Inventiveness and resourcefulness.
(d) Democracy and collective responsibility.
5. Why does Williams think that Burr did not get along with Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson?
(a) They did not approve of Burr's affairs with women.
(b) They had not gotten along since the first time they had met.
(c) They favored a stronger central government than he did.
(d) They campaigned against Burr when he ran for office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
2. Why does John Paul Jones write to Benjamin Franklin in "Battle Between the Bon Homme Richard and the Serapis"?
3. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
4. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
5. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)