|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(b) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(c) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
(d) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
2. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
(a) A child.
(b) An old man.
(c) An old woman.
(d) One of his own men.
3. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
(b) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
(c) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
(d) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
4. What does William Carlos Williams say is the most important thing to remember about people who are descended from Africans who were brought to the Americas in slavery?
(a) They have managed to thrive despite adversity.
(b) They speak many different languages.
(c) They bring a certain quality to America with them.
(d) They were forced to endure inhumane conditions at sea.
5. What area does Boone discover, along with his brother, just before the American Revolution?
Short Answer Questions
1. What title does the narrator give Raleigh?
2. What happens when Bridget Bishop attempts to plead not guilty?
3. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
4. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
5. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)