|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
(a) History never lies.
(b) History is often bound by prejudice.
(c) History is written by the victors.
(d) History never tells the truth.
2. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
(a) He is trying to test a new system of measurement to see which is most accurate.
(b) He is trying to trick the King and Queen by giving them false information in his letters.
(c) He is trying to reassure the crew that they have not traveled as far without seeing land as they think they have.
(d) He is trying to check his navigational instruments to be sure that they are working properly.
3. When Champlain advocates on behalf of building a colony, what is the one personal favor he asks of the King of France?
(a) A gift of firearms for defense and for trade.
(b) A priest and doctor who could live in the colony.
(c) A monopoly of the fur trade for three years.
(d) A grant of supplies and men.
4. What does Cotton Mather say is the cause of the degeneracy of the New England community?
(a) People like Thomas Morton are undermining the values of the community.
(b) The Devil is making one more try to debauch the Puritans.
(c) Children are becoming undisciplined and grow up to think they can do whatever they wish.
(d) The Indians are setting a bad example for the colonists.
5. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
(a) Four conspirators are captured planning to assassinate Champlain.
(b) Four of Champlain's men become sick and cannot work.
(c) Four newspapers print the map of Champlain's route.
(d) Four chiefs come to talk to Champlain about the location for his city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident "greatly annoys" Champlain and delays the construction of Quebec?
2. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
3. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
4. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
5. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)