|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
(a) Yes, he is able to sell many things that he took from the islands.
(b) No, he is left financially ruined and impoverished.
(c) Yes, he is rewarded with all the gold he could ever want.
(d) No, but at least the voyages do not harm him financially.
2. What event has distracted historians from telling the whole story about Burr?
(a) The French and Indian War.
(b) Shea's rebellion.
(c) The duel with Alexander Hamilton.
(d) The American Revolution.
3. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
(a) Marry one of her maids.
(b) Travel to Africa.
(c) Join the crew of a ship heading to the Americas.
(d) Become a diplomat.
4. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
(b) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
(c) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
(d) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
5. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Deeply religious.
(b) Rigid and formal.
(c) Good-natured and affectionate.
(d) Evil and malicious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
2. What do Burr's critics say about him when he runs for office?
3. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
4. Why does Williams criticize historian A. C. Adams at the beginning of "The May-Pole at Merry Mount"?
5. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)