|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cotton Mather think about the gods of the Indian nations?
(a) He thinks that they are imaginary.
(b) He thinks that they are other gods.
(c) He thinks that they are idols.
(d) He thinks that they are devils.
2. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
(b) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
(c) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
(d) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
3. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
(b) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(c) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
(d) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
4. What happens to the barge that is towing John Paul Jones' ship?
(a) The barge sinks in a storm at sea.
(b) The barge is taken over by mutinous sailors.
(c) The bargemen cut the tow rope and steal the barge.
(d) The barge catches fire in the battle.
5. Who is the narrator for the second half of "Poor Richard"?
(a) William Carlos Williams.
(b) An average American.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) An American Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ponce de Leon die?
2. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
3. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
4. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
5. How does the narrator describe George Washington's character at the beginning of "George Washington"?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)