|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jones say he reacted to the damage incurred by the Bon Homme Richard?
(a) He made a few repairs and then decided to abandon ship.
(b) He immediately evacuated all his men and supplies off the ship.
(c) He had the ship sunk on purpose because it was no longer able to sail.
(d) He tried his best to keep the ship afloat long enough to bring it into port.
2. What famous ship does Williams say that a slave ship is the counterpart to?
(a) The Bon Homme Richard.
(b) The Santa Maria.
(c) The Serapis.
(d) The Mayflower.
3. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
(b) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
(c) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
(d) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
4. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
(a) Because M lives near a spring.
(b) Because M uses such original language.
(c) Because M is always so cheerful.
(d) Because M likes the rain in the spring.
5. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(b) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(c) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
(d) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
2. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
3. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
4. What is the moral of the story about the rough sailor who falls sick, dies, and is thrown overboard?
5. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)