|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
(b) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
(c) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
(d) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
2. What do bows and arrows, corn meal, and belief in a second life all have in common, according to the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh"?
(a) They are things all people can do without.
(b) They are found in all villages.
(c) They are necessary to colonization.
(d) They are invented by all peoples.
3. What does the "Poor Richard" narrator say is a common misconception that Europeans have about America?
(a) It is very hard to earn a living by farming in America.
(b) Americans place a high value on leisure time and do not like to work.
(c) They can move there and quickly be elected to political office.
(d) It is a dangerous place because there are so many Indian raids.
4. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
(b) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
(c) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
(d) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
5. Who is Freydis?
(a) Eric the Red's wife.
(b) Eric the Red's lover.
(c) Eric the Red's daughter.
(d) Eric the Red's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
2. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
3. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
4. What does the narrator say about Washington's attitude toward the presidency?
5. What event has distracted historians from telling the whole story about Burr?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)