|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
(a) In the capital.
(b) Exploring the frontier.
(d) In the field with his troops.
2. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
(a) As a swamp-infested hell.
(b) As a wilderness full of savages.
(c) As a land rich in mineral resources.
(d) As a land of plenty.
3. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
(a) He refuses to feed the hungry, demanding instead that they pay tribute to him.
(b) He gives everyone who comes into the city a small ration of food.
(c) He opens his larder to all who wish to eat and drink.
(d) He offers food to anyone who is willing to do some work.
4. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
(a) A cat.
(b) A snake.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dog.
5. What happens when Bridget Bishop attempts to plead not guilty?
(a) She is tortured until she confesses.
(b) She is denied the chance to hear the witnesses against her.
(c) She is convicted of gross lying in the court.
(d) She is allowed to speak on her own behalf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
2. What is the moral of the story about the rough sailor who falls sick, dies, and is thrown overboard?
3. What warning does Williams give the reader about history at the beginning of "The Virtue of History"?
4. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
5. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)