|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
(a) America does not have enough raw materials to do well at manufacturing any items of commercial value.
(b) To do well in manufacturing, you need large numbers of poor people who are willing to work for low wages.
(c) There are no cities in America in which to build manufacturing plants.
(d) Few ships travel to America, so manufacturers could not market their goods to foreign ports.
2. Where does Eric the Red go to start over?
3. Which of the following is NOT a term used by the narrator to describe Queen Elizabeth?
(b) Fairy Queen.
4. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
(b) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
(c) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
(d) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
5. Why does John Paul Jones write to Benjamin Franklin in "Battle Between the Bon Homme Richard and the Serapis"?
(a) To explain why he feels that naval policy should be changed.
(b) To explain the circumstances leading up to the loss of a ship.
(c) To explain the outcome of a recent battle.
(d) To explain how ships could be better maintained so that they are more resistant to fires.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
2. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
3. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
4. What incident "greatly annoys" Champlain and delays the construction of Quebec?
5. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)