|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' courage.
(b) Columbus' foolhardiness.
(c) Columbus' literary skill.
(d) Columbus' good judgment.
2. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
(a) Freydis is tried in criminal court and jailed for her actions.
(b) Freydis becomes a politician and the leader of her community.
(c) Freydis is exiled from her community like Eric the Red.
(d) Freydis' family is always thought to be evil after that.
3. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
(a) So that one can be used to carry water out, and the other to carry water in.
(b) So that one can be used while the other is being cleaned.
(c) So that one can supply one half of the city, and the other can supply the other half.
(d) So that enough water can be provided for the needs of the emperor and his entourage.
4. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
5. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
(a) He is more well-admired than ever before.
(b) He is lonely and despondent.
(c) People can steal from him at will.
(d) People try to kill him when they see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator address "Sir Walter Raleigh" to?
2. Why does Williams feel that women especially appreciated Burr?
3. What happens to the barge that is towing John Paul Jones' ship?
4. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
5. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)