|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time does Samuel de Champlain spend in North America before he is permitted to establish a French colony?
(a) Three years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
2. What do bows and arrows, corn meal, and belief in a second life all have in common, according to the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh"?
(a) They are found in all villages.
(b) They are necessary to colonization.
(c) They are invented by all peoples.
(d) They are things all people can do without.
3. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(b) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(c) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
(d) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
4. After Champlain picks out the site for the city and the men start working, what new complication arises to delay the progress of the building?
(a) Four of Champlain's men become sick and cannot work.
(b) Four conspirators are captured planning to assassinate Champlain.
(c) Four chiefs come to talk to Champlain about the location for his city.
(d) Four newspapers print the map of Champlain's route.
5. What is Tenochtitlan like?
(a) It is a tiny village. The people living there are starving to death, and can offer no resistance to the Spanish.
(b) It is a masterpiece of engineering; clean, with wide roads and canals, and full of beautiful gardens and markets.
(c) It is a small town surrounded by stone walls, with a large castle in the middle.
(d) It is a fortress located high in the mountains, remote and impenetrable.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe George Washington's character at the beginning of "George Washington"?
2. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
3. Why do the Puritans disapprove of Thomas Morton?
4. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
5. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)