|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incident "greatly annoys" Champlain and delays the construction of Quebec?
(a) A disagreement among the settlers about where to locate the city.
(b) A battle with the Indians.
(c) A very severe series of thunderstorms.
(d) A fur trade dispute with a Basque ship.
2. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
(a) Because M lives near a spring.
(b) Because M uses such original language.
(c) Because M is always so cheerful.
(d) Because M likes the rain in the spring.
3. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
(b) They insist that God told them to do it.
(c) They call the killings self-defense.
(d) They claim that Indians had no souls.
4. What does the narrator say was the place where Washington most liked to be?
(b) In the field with his troops.
(c) Exploring the frontier.
(d) In the capital.
5. What moral weakness does the narrator comment on in Washington?
(a) His laziness.
(b) His tendency to drink too much.
(c) His fondness for women.
(d) His refusal to free his slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tenochtitlan like?
2. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
3. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
4. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
5. Why does John Paul Jones write to Benjamin Franklin in "Battle Between the Bon Homme Richard and the Serapis"?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)