|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator say was the only American ever to see General Washington in a towering rage?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Aaron Burr.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) General Lee.
2. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
(a) They believe that God does not approve of imagination.
(b) They do not have materials with which to exercise their creativity.
(c) They are afraid being imaginative would cut them off from the others.
(d) They think their lives depend on doing things the same way every time.
3. Who does Cotton Mather say that New England belonged to before the New Englanders lived there?
(a) The Devil.
(b) The French.
(c) The Indians.
(d) The Spanish.
4. What does Williams say that people of color excel at, more so than any white person?
(a) Dancing and playing sports.
(b) Cooking and planning a gourmet menu.
(c) Singing jazz music and spirituals.
(d) Cleanliness and picking out beautiful fabrics to wear.
5. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
(b) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(c) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
(d) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
2. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
3. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
4. What does William Carlos Williams say is the most important thing to remember about people who are descended from Africans who were brought to the Americas in slavery?
5. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)