|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Queen Elizabeth call Raleigh back when he goes with the fleet to attack Spain?
(a) Because she intends to send him to the Americas instead.
(b) Because she has decided not to attack Spain.
(c) Because she is urgently in need of his advice.
(d) Because he has seduced one of her maids.
2. What is the moral of the story about the lusty young man who fell overboard and was hauled back in?
(a) It is important to pay attention so that you are not swept overboard.
(b) It is good to have friends who can help you when you need it.
(c) Faith and hope can see you through even tough times.
(d) Tenacity and determination can save your life.
3. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
(a) Freydis is exiled from her community like Eric the Red.
(b) Freydis' family is always thought to be evil after that.
(c) Freydis is tried in criminal court and jailed for her actions.
(d) Freydis becomes a politician and the leader of her community.
4. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(b) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
(c) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(d) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
5. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
(a) An old woman.
(b) One of his own men.
(c) A child.
(d) An old man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
2. What quality does Williams admire in the woman who lives in the "ramshackle castle" by the railroad tracks?
3. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
4. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
5. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)