|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(b) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(c) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(d) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
2. What characteristic drives Franklin's curiosity, according to one of the narrators of "Poor Richard"?
3. What causes the Puritan elders to finally get fed up with Thomas Morton?
(a) He decides to marry an Indian woman.
(b) He begins to trade guns with the Indians.
(c) He starts a revolt against the authorities.
(d) He plans a big party with music and liquor.
4. What does Williams say that Africans came enslaved from Africa for?
5. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
(b) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(c) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
(d) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Aztecs have two aqueducts?
2. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
3. Why does Williams say that it is "water from a spring" to talk to M?
4. Why does Franklin recommend against trying to make money in America through manufacturing?
5. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)