|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sir Walter Raleigh.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
(a) The Skrellings.
(b) The Abenaki.
(c) The Iroquois.
(d) The Inuit.
2. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
(a) Join the crew of a ship heading to the Americas.
(b) Marry one of her maids.
(c) Travel to Africa.
(d) Become a diplomat.
3. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
(a) He sent his son on a mission that got him killed.
(b) He had no regard for the safety of his colonists.
(c) He was an atheist.
(d) He broke Queen Elizabeth's heart.
4. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
(b) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
(c) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
(d) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
5. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
(a) To find the fountain of youth.
(b) To find new land for Spain.
(c) To find food and water.
(d) To find gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman is Freydis?
2. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
3. What title does the narrator give Raleigh?
4. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
5. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)