|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sir Walter Raleigh.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(b) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
(c) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
(d) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
2. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
(b) A desire to help.
3. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Good-natured and affectionate.
(b) Rigid and formal.
(c) Evil and malicious.
(d) Deeply religious.
4. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
(a) He accidentally kills her without knowing who she is.
(b) He finds her later under a bush with her hands cut off.
(c) His men capture her and steal the crucifix back.
(d) He finds her later working as a slave.
5. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
(a) He stirs the Aztecs to resist even more fiercely than before.
(b) He frightens the Aztecs and they run away.
(c) He convinces the Aztecs to lay down their arms peacefully.
(d) He is hit on the head by a stone, which kills him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
2. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
3. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
4. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
5. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)