|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sir Walter Raleigh.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
(a) Go on voyages of exploration.
(b) Serve on great councils.
(c) Serve in the army.
(d) Marry one of her maids.
2. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
(a) He fights against Cortez and dies.
(b) He forces Cortez to accept Aztec authority.
(c) He negotiates a peace treaty that makes him equal to Cortez.
(d) He makes Cortez the monarch.
3. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
(b) They call the killings self-defense.
(c) They claim that Indians had no souls.
(d) They insist that God told them to do it.
4. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
(a) The planter who never planted.
(b) James' man.
(c) Explorer of the Orinoco.
(d) The new King.
5. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(b) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(c) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(d) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
2. What people do Karlsefni and Snorri find in the New World?
3. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
4. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
5. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)