|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sir Walter Raleigh.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title does the narrator give Raleigh?
(a) The Heart of the Queen.
(b) The Hand of the Queen.
(c) The Breath of the Queen.
(d) The Sword of the Queen.
2. What is Tenochtitlan like?
(a) It is a masterpiece of engineering; clean, with wide roads and canals, and full of beautiful gardens and markets.
(b) It is a fortress located high in the mountains, remote and impenetrable.
(c) It is a small town surrounded by stone walls, with a large castle in the middle.
(d) It is a tiny village. The people living there are starving to death, and can offer no resistance to the Spanish.
3. Why does Cortez finally burn the city?
(a) To give glory to the Christian God by destroying temples full of idols.
(b) To kill the inhabitants of the city who were trapped inside.
(c) To destroy a place which would have given refuge to the forces that were opposing him.
(d) To demoralize the Aztecs so that they would stop resisting him so fiercely.
4. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(b) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
(c) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
(d) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
5. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
(a) Eric the Red appears with a group of young Greenlander sailors, and the Greenlanders gain the advantage in the fight.
(b) The Greenlanders are defeated by the people of the New World and flee in shame.
(c) Helgi and Finnbogi save Freydis' life, rescuing her just as their enemies in the New World were about to kill her.
(d) The other Greenlanders begin to flee, but Freydis grabs a sword and fights so hard that she frightens their enemies into fleeing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Raleigh returns to England after his son's death?
2. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
3. What does Eric the Red say that his life is like now that he has been exiled?
4. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
5. What happens to Cortez when the Aztecs counterattack from outside the city?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)