|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sir Walter Raleigh.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
(a) A bird.
(b) A cat.
(c) A snake.
(d) A dog.
2. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(b) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
(c) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(d) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
3. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
(a) Become a diplomat.
(b) Travel to Africa.
(c) Join the crew of a ship heading to the Americas.
(d) Marry one of her maids.
4. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
(a) "One or the other of us had to die, under the natural circumstance."
(b) "...this is what they say: Eric, son of evil, come and be forgiven."
(c) "This is my portion. I do not call it not to my liking. Hardship lives in me."
(d) "Eric the Red is a marked man, beyond the law, so it would seem..."
5. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(b) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(c) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(d) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Freydis?
2. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
3. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
4. Which of the following is NOT a term used by the narrator to describe Queen Elizabeth?
5. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)