|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sir Walter Raleigh.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Freydis handle her quarrel with the two brothers, Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She goes to court against the brothers and sues them, winning her case and forcing them to pay a fine.
(b) She tricks her husband into killing them, and kills the women of their household herself.
(c) She talks to her neighbors about the brothers, turning the community against them until they are forced into exile.
(d) She steals property from the brothers and refuses to give it back, claiming that it will compensate her for the quarrel.
2. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(b) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(c) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(d) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
3. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
(a) He mentally calculates the number of slaves that could be captured.
(b) He wonders where the gold is.
(c) He thinks it is wonderful and magnificent.
(d) He looks upon it as an impoverished village.
4. Who is Freydis?
(a) Eric the Red's wife.
(b) Eric the Red's sister.
(c) Eric the Red's lover.
(d) Eric the Red's daughter.
5. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
(a) He thinks that it is far too hot and humid for his taste.
(b) He thinks that he would like to build a house and live there himself.
(c) He thinks it is the most beautiful place he has ever seen.
(d) He thinks that it is too desolate to have any worthwhile resources.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
2. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
3. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
4. What is Tenochtitlan like?
5. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)