|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sir Walter Raleigh.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(b) His wife.
(c) The King and Queen of Spain.
(d) His family members in Europe.
2. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
(a) "...Nothing at the present moment seemed to disturb his aristocratic reserve."
(b) "With the force bred of a determination to face at any cost a situation fast going beyond his control..."
(c) "Spain cannot be blamed for the crassness of the discoverers."
(d) "Courageous almost beyond precedent, tactful, resourceful in misfortune..."
3. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' foolhardiness.
(b) Columbus' literary skill.
(c) Columbus' good judgment.
(d) Columbus' courage.
4. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
(b) They insist that God told them to do it.
(c) They claim that Indians had no souls.
(d) They call the killings self-defense.
5. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
(b) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(c) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
(d) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
2. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
3. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
4. What does Montezuma do when Cortez enters the capital?
5. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)