|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sir Walter Raleigh.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the outcome of Freydis' actions?
(a) Freydis' family is always thought to be evil after that.
(b) Freydis is tried in criminal court and jailed for her actions.
(c) Freydis becomes a politician and the leader of her community.
(d) Freydis is exiled from her community like Eric the Red.
2. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
(c) A desire to help.
3. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
(a) Eric the Red removes his property, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons are killed.
(b) Eric the Red decides to steal from Thorgest in return, on his way into exile.
(c) Eric the Red tries to remove his property, but Eric the Red's two sons are killed in the melee.
(d) Eric the Red has to give in and let Thorgest take his property.
4. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
(a) He is trying to reassure the crew that they have not traveled as far without seeing land as they think they have.
(b) He is trying to check his navigational instruments to be sure that they are working properly.
(c) He is trying to trick the King and Queen by giving them false information in his letters.
(d) He is trying to test a new system of measurement to see which is most accurate.
5. Based on the passage narrated by Eric the Red, which phrase do you think best describes Eric's character?
(a) Good-natured and affectionate.
(b) Rigid and formal.
(c) Evil and malicious.
(d) Deeply religious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Montezuma asks his people not to fight back against the Spanish?
2. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
3. What does Cortez think when he enters the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan?
4. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
5. How does the narrator describe the coastline of North America?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)