|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sir Walter Raleigh.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' literary skill.
(b) Columbus' good judgment.
(c) Columbus' courage.
(d) Columbus' foolhardiness.
2. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
(b) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
(c) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(d) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
3. What happens to the girl Ponce de Leon gives a gold crucifix to?
(a) His men capture her and steal the crucifix back.
(b) He finds her later working as a slave.
(c) He accidentally kills her without knowing who she is.
(d) He finds her later under a bush with her hands cut off.
4. What do bows and arrows, corn meal, and belief in a second life all have in common, according to the narrator of "Sir Walter Raleigh"?
(a) They are found in all villages.
(b) They are invented by all peoples.
(c) They are things all people can do without.
(d) They are necessary to colonization.
5. How often does Montezuma change his clothes?
(a) Four times a year.
(b) Four times a month.
(c) Four times a week.
(d) Four times a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say that Raleigh is now in Hell?
2. What happens when the Greenlanders fight with the people they meet in the New World?
3. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
4. Which of the following statements shows that Eric the Red has accepted his fate?
5. What does the narrator say that Queen Elizabeth did not trust Raleigh enough to let him do?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)