|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sir Walter Raleigh.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Montezuma try to get Cortez to stay on the coast and not enter the interior?
(a) He sends troops to attack.
(b) He sends gifts to Cortez.
(c) He sends poisoned food.
(d) He sends a threatening letter.
2. What does the following sentence mean? "Rather the ice than their way: to take what is mine by single strength, theirs by the crookedness of their law."
(a) Eric the Red considers his unjust exile to be more honorable than staying in Iceland.
(b) Eric the Red prefers places that are cold and icy.
(c) Eric the Red has chosen to leave Iceland of his own accord.
(d) Eric the Red feels remorseful about the murder he committed and willingly accepts punishment.
3. Who does the narrator address "Sir Walter Raleigh" to?
(a) The Muse.
(b) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) The reader.
4. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They claim that Indians had no souls.
(b) They insist that God told them to do it.
(c) They call the killings self-defense.
(d) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
5. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
(a) He is trying to test a new system of measurement to see which is most accurate.
(b) He is trying to reassure the crew that they have not traveled as far without seeing land as they think they have.
(c) He is trying to check his navigational instruments to be sure that they are working properly.
(d) He is trying to trick the King and Queen by giving them false information in his letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Montezuma treat hungry people in the capital?
2. Which of the following quotations reveals Williams' opinion of Cortez?
3. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
4. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
5. Which of the following names does the narrator call Raleigh?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)