|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Advent of the Slaves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montezuma tell Cortez?
(a) That the Aztecs will welcome the Spanish as Allies and help them to defeat the countryside.
(b) That the Spanish cannot hope to defeat such a large and well-supplied enemy.
(c) That Cortez is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
(d) That Montezuma is not a god, but flesh and blood like other men.
2. Who is the narrator for the first part of "Poor Richard"?
(a) An American Indian.
(b) An average American.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) William Carlos Williams.
3. What famous ship does Williams say that a slave ship is the counterpart to?
(a) The Serapis.
(b) The Mayflower.
(c) The Bon Homme Richard.
(d) The Santa Maria.
4. What does Queen Elizabeth force Raleigh to do when she calls him back from the fleet's attack on Spain?
(a) Travel to Africa.
(b) Join the crew of a ship heading to the Americas.
(c) Marry one of her maids.
(d) Become a diplomat.
5. What happens when Thorgest tries to steal from Eric the Red?
(a) Eric the Red decides to steal from Thorgest in return, on his way into exile.
(b) Eric the Red tries to remove his property, but Eric the Red's two sons are killed in the melee.
(c) Eric the Red removes his property, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons are killed.
(d) Eric the Red has to give in and let Thorgest take his property.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
2. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
3. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
4. Why does Williams feel that women especially appreciated Burr?
5. What incident "greatly annoys" Champlain and delays the construction of Quebec?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)