|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
(a) The atheists.
(b) The Quakers.
(c) The Indians.
(d) The Spanish.
2. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
(a) Creativity and genius.
(b) Know-nothingism and opportunism.
(c) Democracy and collective responsibility.
(d) Inventiveness and resourcefulness.
3. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
(a) To find gold.
(b) To find new land for Spain.
(c) To find food and water.
(d) To find the fountain of youth.
4. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(b) His wife.
(c) His family members in Europe.
(d) The King and Queen of Spain.
5. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
(a) Lack of concern for his own safety.
(b) An appreciation for solitude.
(c) Drive to develop land for investment purposes.
(d) Desire to earn money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Williams criticize historian A. C. Adams at the beginning of "The May-Pole at Merry Mount"?
2. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
3. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
4. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
5. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)