|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(a) Ponce de Leon's brother.
(b) Columbus and Cortez.
(c) The King and Queen of Spain.
2. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' literary skill.
(b) Columbus' courage.
(c) Columbus' foolhardiness.
(d) Columbus' good judgment.
3. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
(a) Desire to earn money.
(b) Lack of concern for his own safety.
(c) An appreciation for solitude.
(d) Drive to develop land for investment purposes.
4. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their warmth.
(b) Their toughness.
(c) Their spirit.
(d) Their intelligence.
5. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
(a) Their fierceness and hard work.
(b) Their respect for authority.
(c) Their imagination and ingenuity.
(d) Their devotion to religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
2. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
3. What is the moral of the story about the lusty young man who fell overboard and was hauled back in?
4. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
5. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)