|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The Quakers.
(c) The Spanish.
(d) The atheists.
2. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(b) The King and Queen of Spain.
(c) Columbus and Cortez.
(d) Ponce de Leon's brother.
3. What does the narrator say about the Puritan soul?
(a) It is rich and nourishing.
(b) It is kind and warmhearted.
(c) It is small and empty.
(d) It is large and generous.
4. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
(a) Creativity and genius.
(b) Know-nothingism and opportunism.
(c) Democracy and collective responsibility.
(d) Inventiveness and resourcefulness.
5. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
(a) The promise to make Columbus Chief Admiral of the Ocean Sea and perpetual Viceroy and Governor of all the land he should discover.
(b) The promise to pay Columbus in gold for his voyages.
(c) The promise to have Columbus' story printed in the newspapers so that everyone could appreciate his accomplishment.
(d) The promise to make sure that Columbus always had seaworthy ships and experienced sailors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
2. Why do the Puritans disapprove of Thomas Morton?
3. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
4. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
5. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)