|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
2. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
(b) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
(c) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
(d) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
3. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
(a) He is given an award by the colonists.
(b) He is arrested and sent back to England.
(c) He is shot in a fight.
(d) He is kidnapped by the Indians.
4. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
(a) Inventiveness and resourcefulness.
(b) Creativity and genius.
(c) Know-nothingism and opportunism.
(d) Democracy and collective responsibility.
5. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
(b) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(c) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(d) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
2. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
3. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
4. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
5. What is the moral of the story about the lusty young man who fell overboard and was hauled back in?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)