|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
(a) They do not have materials with which to exercise their creativity.
(b) They are afraid being imaginative would cut them off from the others.
(c) They believe that God does not approve of imagination.
(d) They think their lives depend on doing things the same way every time.
2. What does Columbus want to do instead of traveling to the New World again?
(a) He wants to go on vacation to someplace warm and tropical.
(b) He wants to go on a pilgrimmage to holy places.
(c) He wants to circumnavigate the globe.
(d) He wants to visit his family members in Portugal.
3. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' literary skill.
(b) Columbus' courage.
(c) Columbus' good judgment.
(d) Columbus' foolhardiness.
4. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their toughness.
(b) Their intelligence.
(c) Their warmth.
(d) Their spirit.
5. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
(a) He is given an award by the colonists.
(b) He is arrested and sent back to England.
(c) He is kidnapped by the Indians.
(d) He is shot in a fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
2. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
3. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
4. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
5. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)