|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Ponce de Leon and his men first land among the Caribs?
(a) They slaughter the Caribs, leaving none alive.
(b) The Caribs welcome them with open arms and a big feast.
(c) The Caribs kidnap their women and shoot their dog.
(d) They make peace with the Caribs and do not have to fight.
2. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
(b) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
(c) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
(d) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
3. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
(a) He is not afraid to go west into the wilderness.
(b) He started new communities wherever he went.
(c) He does not consider himself an American citizen.
(d) He is at war with the Indians he met.
4. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
(a) Their respect for authority.
(b) Their fierceness and hard work.
(c) Their imagination and ingenuity.
(d) Their devotion to religion.
5. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
(b) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
(c) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
(d) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Puritans disapprove of Thomas Morton?
2. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
3. Why are the Puritans important, according to the narrator?
4. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
5. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)