|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They call the killings self-defense.
(b) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
(c) They claim that Indians had no souls.
(d) They insist that God told them to do it.
2. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
(a) No, he is left financially ruined and impoverished.
(b) No, but at least the voyages do not harm him financially.
(c) Yes, he is able to sell many things that he took from the islands.
(d) Yes, he is rewarded with all the gold he could ever want.
3. Why are the Puritans important, according to the narrator?
(a) They bring Christianity to the New World.
(b) They begin to form the national character.
(c) They are among the earliest European settlers.
(d) They find a way to survive in an inclement environment.
4. Why do the Puritans disapprove of Thomas Morton?
(a) He barters guns and liquor to Indians.
(b) He does not believe in God.
(c) He does not pay his taxes.
(d) He is not married.
5. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ponce de Leon die?
2. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
3. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
4. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
5. What is the moral of the story about the lusty young man who fell overboard and was hauled back in?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)