|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the moral of the story about the rough sailor who falls sick, dies, and is thrown overboard?
(a) What happens to the body is not important.
(b) The sea can hide any secret.
(c) God smites those who use profanity.
(d) Good hygiene was the key to survival on ships.
2. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
(b) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(c) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
(d) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
3. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
(a) He loses his religious faith and decides to leave the Church.
(b) He is accused of making a deal with the King of Portugal.
(c) Storms make it impossible to set sail again for several months.
(d) The King and Queen refuse to finance any future trips to the New World.
4. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
(d) A desire to help.
5. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
(b) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
(c) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
(d) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
2. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
3. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
4. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
5. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)