|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
2. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
(a) He thinks that it is too desolate to have any worthwhile resources.
(b) He thinks that it is far too hot and humid for his taste.
(c) He thinks that he would like to build a house and live there himself.
(d) He thinks it is the most beautiful place he has ever seen.
3. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
(a) Democracy and collective responsibility.
(b) Know-nothingism and opportunism.
(c) Inventiveness and resourcefulness.
(d) Creativity and genius.
4. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
(a) Desire to earn money.
(b) Drive to develop land for investment purposes.
(c) An appreciation for solitude.
(d) Lack of concern for his own safety.
5. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) The King and Queen of Spain.
(b) His family members in Europe.
(c) His wife.
(d) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the Puritan elders to finally get fed up with Thomas Morton?
2. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
3. What makes Daniel Boone different from other settlers, according to the narrator?
4. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
5. Why do the Puritans disapprove of Thomas Morton?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)