|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The atheists.
(c) The Spanish.
(d) The Quakers.
2. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
(b) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(c) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(d) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
3. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
(a) A bird.
(b) A dog.
(c) A snake.
(d) A cat.
4. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They claim that Indians had no souls.
(b) They call the killings self-defense.
(c) They insist that God told them to do it.
(d) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
5. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) The King and Queen of Spain.
(b) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(c) His family members in Europe.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
2. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
3. Why are the Puritans important, according to the narrator?
4. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
5. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)