|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
(a) He is attacked by mobs of people who do not approve of his travels to the New World.
(b) He is celebrated and paraded through the streets as a returning hero.
(c) He is welcomed but told that the sovereigns cannot afford to pay for another voyage.
(d) He is arrested, and everything he owns is taken away and sold, even the clothing he wore.
2. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
(a) Columbus' good judgment.
(b) Columbus' courage.
(c) Columbus' literary skill.
(d) Columbus' foolhardiness.
3. How does Ponce de Leon die?
(a) He is killed by an Indian arrow.
(b) He is killed by his own men in a mutiny.
(c) He dies of old age.
(d) He dies of disease.
4. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(b) His family members in Europe.
(c) His wife.
(d) The King and Queen of Spain.
5. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
(a) To find gold.
(b) To find new land for Spain.
(c) To find food and water.
(d) To find the fountain of youth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
2. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
3. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
4. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
5. Who is Thomas Morton?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)