|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Puritans have such a strong impact on the national character, according to the narrator?
(a) Because they are so driven to evangelize to others.
(b) Because they are so dashing and heroic that everyone tells stories about them.
(c) Because they persuade everyone else to emulate them.
(d) Because they are among the first to arrive in a wild place.
2. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
(a) They think their lives depend on doing things the same way every time.
(b) They do not have materials with which to exercise their creativity.
(c) They are afraid being imaginative would cut them off from the others.
(d) They believe that God does not approve of imagination.
3. According to the narrator, which of the following is a logical outgrowth of the Puritan spirit?
(a) Democracy and collective responsibility.
(b) Inventiveness and resourcefulness.
(c) Creativity and genius.
(d) Know-nothingism and opportunism.
4. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
(a) An old woman.
(b) One of his own men.
(c) A child.
(d) An old man.
5. How do the Spanish justify killing so many peaceful islanders?
(a) They claim that Indians had no souls.
(b) They say it is necessary to kill people to take the land for Spain.
(c) They insist that God told them to do it.
(d) They call the killings self-defense.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the overall tone of Williams' remarks about the Puritans?
2. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
3. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
4. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
5. What does Columbus think of the New World when he reaches it?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)