|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
(a) The King and Queen of Spain.
(b) Ponce de Leon's brother.
(d) Columbus and Cortez.
2. How does Williams suggest that Ponce de Leon feels when he hears about Cortez and the wealth of Montezuma?
3. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their toughness.
(b) Their intelligence.
(c) Their spirit.
(d) Their warmth.
4. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
(a) The promise to make Columbus Chief Admiral of the Ocean Sea and perpetual Viceroy and Governor of all the land he should discover.
(b) The promise to make sure that Columbus always had seaworthy ships and experienced sailors.
(c) The promise to pay Columbus in gold for his voyages.
(d) The promise to have Columbus' story printed in the newspapers so that everyone could appreciate his accomplishment.
5. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Columbus finally lands in Spain after his second voyage, what happens to him?
2. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
3. What happens to Columbus when he finally makes it back to Spain?
4. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
5. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)