|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
(b) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
(c) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
(d) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
2. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
(a) They do not have materials with which to exercise their creativity.
(b) They think their lives depend on doing things the same way every time.
(c) They believe that God does not approve of imagination.
(d) They are afraid being imaginative would cut them off from the others.
3. What adjective does the narrator use to describe Boone's character?
4. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
(a) A cat.
(b) A bird.
(c) A snake.
(d) A dog.
5. What happens to Columbus on his return from his second voyage?
(a) He has to travel many miles out of his way because of a storm.
(b) He is refused permission to land in Spain even though there was a terrible storm.
(c) He is forced to leave and sail to England instead.
(d) He is forced to turn back and sail to the New World again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams think was the motive of the person who told Ponce de Leon there was a fountain of youth?
2. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
3. What is the moral of the story about the rough sailor who falls sick, dies, and is thrown overboard?
4. According to the narrator, what was Boone's emotional state when he lived alone in the wilderness for three months?
5. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)