|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the moral of the story about the lusty young man who fell overboard and was hauled back in?
(a) It is good to have friends who can help you when you need it.
(b) Tenacity and determination can save your life.
(c) It is important to pay attention so that you are not swept overboard.
(d) Faith and hope can see you through even tough times.
2. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
(a) They believe that God does not approve of imagination.
(b) They are afraid being imaginative would cut them off from the others.
(c) They think their lives depend on doing things the same way every time.
(d) They do not have materials with which to exercise their creativity.
3. What pet is Ponce de Leon especially attached to?
(a) A snake.
(b) A dog.
(c) A bird.
(d) A cat.
4. How can Boone's attitude toward Indians best be described?
5. How do many of the Indians react when the Spanish begin to enslave them?
(a) They go into the forest and hang themselves from the trees.
(b) They fight back so fiercely that it is impossible to enslave any of them.
(c) They willingly accept enslavement in order not to be murdered.
(d) They try to negotiate for peace but cannot overcome the language barrier.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the descendants of the Puritans?
2. Who did Ponce de Leon's pilot previously work for?
3. What adjective does the narrator use to describe the Pilgrims' eagerness to share their beliefs?
4. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
5. What does the narrator admire about the Pilgrims?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)