|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ponce de Leon die?
(a) He is killed by an Indian arrow.
(b) He is killed by his own men in a mutiny.
(c) He dies of old age.
(d) He dies of disease.
2. Who tells Ponce de Leon there is a fountain of youth?
(a) An old man.
(b) An old woman.
(c) One of his own men.
(d) A child.
3. What does the narrator say that the Puritans should be praised for?
(a) Their spirit.
(b) Their warmth.
(c) Their toughness.
(d) Their intelligence.
4. What does Columbus do when he thinks the ship might capsize?
(a) He puts a note in a cask and throws it into the sea.
(b) He prays that the ship will make it back to Spain.
(c) He has a meeting of his crew and asks everyone to try his best.
(d) He curses the day he ever set out to find the New World.
5. Why do Ponce de Leon and his men travel north?
(a) To find food and water.
(b) To find gold.
(c) To find the fountain of youth.
(d) To find new land for Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Williams, referring to the King's and Queen's promises to Columbus, remarks, "What power had such ridiculous little promises to stay a man against that terrific downpour on the brink of which they were all floating?". What promises is Williams referring to?
2. What is the moral of the story about the lusty young man who fell overboard and was hauled back in?
3. What explanation does the narrator give for the Puritans' lack of imagination?
4. What is Williams trying to tell the reader about Columbus when he quotes details about how harrowing the storms at sea during Columbus' voyages were?
5. What happens to Thomas Morton as a result of the Maypole celebration?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)