Two Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Discovery of Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Columbus count fewer leagues than he knows he has traveled?
(a) He is trying to check his navigational instruments to be sure that they are working properly.
(b) He is trying to trick the King and Queen by giving them false information in his letters.
(c) He is trying to reassure the crew that they have not traveled as far without seeing land as they think they have.
(d) He is trying to test a new system of measurement to see which is most accurate.
2. Who is Thomas Morton?
(a) A historian.
(b) A writer.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A colonist.
3. Does Columbus profit from his trips to the New World?
(a) Yes, he is able to sell many things that he took from the islands.
(b) No, he is left financially ruined and impoverished.
(c) Yes, he is rewarded with all the gold he could ever want.
(d) No, but at least the voyages do not harm him financially.
4. Why is Ponce de Leon free to go exploring in Florida?
(a) He has already accomplished all that he came for.
(b) He is independently wealthy and can do as he pleases.
(c) He is not free to go, but goes anyway.
(d) He has been relieved of his job as Governor.
5. Who does Columbus write to while he is on his return voyage?
(a) Friends who were left behind in the New World.
(b) The King and Queen of Spain.
(c) His family members in Europe.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Puritans important, according to the narrator?
2. What is the overall tone of Williams' remarks about the Puritans?
3. What is Columbus' point when he makes the following statement: "I was twenty-eight years old when I came into your Highnesses' service, and now I have not a hair upon me that is not gray; my body is infirm..."
4. Who does the narrator say that the Puritans went on to persecute later?
5. What characteristic does Boone have to have in order to live the kind of life that he lived?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)