|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Jacataqua.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
(a) The male narrator.
(b) The Tuscaloosa.
(c) The female narrator.
(d) De Soto.
2. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
(a) Because they have become infected with diseases and are experiencing epidemics.
(b) Because they are afraid that they will all be killed in battle.
(c) Because they are worried that they will never make it back to Spain.
(d) Because he has subjected them to many hardships and they have found no gold.
3. What does Jacataqua ask Aaron Burr to do?
(a) Hunt with her.
(b) Fight. with her.
(c) Sleep with her.
(d) Eat with her.
4. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(b) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
(c) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
(d) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
5. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
(a) Live pigs, horses, and dogs.
(b) Handmade tools, sewing needles and tents.
(c) Gold, silver, and pearls.
(d) Berries, animal skins, and meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is Mabilla?
2. What does Williams say that Americans think they will lose if they were ever to serve another person?
3. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
4. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
5. Where does De Soto begin his journey into the North American mainland?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)