|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Jacataqua.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Bridget Bishop attempts to plead not guilty?
(a) She is convicted of gross lying in the court.
(b) She is allowed to speak on her own behalf.
(c) She is tortured until she confesses.
(d) She is denied the chance to hear the witnesses against her.
2. What does Williams say that Americans think they will lose if they were ever to serve another person?
3. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(b) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
(c) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
(d) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
4. How does Williams say that intense emotions affect our perceptions of things?
(a) They make everything confusing.
(b) They make everything harder.
(c) They make everything better.
(d) They make everything larger.
5. How does De Soto keep his men alive when the maize crop fails?
(a) He writes to Spain for help.
(b) He gives each man 1/2 pound of pork daily.
(c) He sends the men out to hunt and fish.
(d) He rations corn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the goals, listed by Cotton Mather, that the Puritans have in mind when they found their colonies?
2. What is De Soto looking for?
3. Why is De Soto uncertain whether he wants to meet Francisco Maldonado?
4. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
5. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)