|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Jacataqua.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
(b) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
(c) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
(d) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
2. Why does "she" say that De Soto's men are beginning to hate him?
(a) Because he has subjected them to many hardships and they have found no gold.
(b) Because they are afraid that they will all be killed in battle.
(c) Because they have become infected with diseases and are experiencing epidemics.
(d) Because they are worried that they will never make it back to Spain.
3. Who or what is Mabilla?
(a) The place Do Soto had heard of, called a "country toward the rising sun."
(b) The river along which De Soto and his men were traveling.
(c) The town where the Tuscaloosa attacked De Soto and his men.
(d) The woman who traveled with De Soto and translated for him.
4. What do Indian envoys bring to De Soto and his men?
(a) Live pigs, horses, and dogs.
(b) Gold, silver, and pearls.
(c) Berries, animal skins, and meat.
(d) Handmade tools, sewing needles and tents.
5. When does De Soto plan to send word about his expedition to Maldonado?
(a) After he has traveled back to Cuba.
(b) After he discovers a rich country.
(c) After he gets through the winter.
(d) After he runs out of supplies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the goals, listed by Cotton Mather, that the Puritans have in mind when they found their colonies?
2. What does Jacataqua ask Aaron Burr to do?
3. How does De Soto keep his men alive when the maize crop fails?
4. What does Williams say that American families cheat their daughters out of by trying to frighten them into delaying the loss of their virginity?
5. How does Williams say that intense emotions affect our perceptions of things?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)