|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Jacataqua.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Williams say that intense emotions affect our perceptions of things?
(a) They make everything confusing.
(b) They make everything better.
(c) They make everything harder.
(d) They make everything larger.
2. What does Cotton Mather say is the cause of the degeneracy of the New England community?
(a) People like Thomas Morton are undermining the values of the community.
(b) The Devil is making one more try to debauch the Puritans.
(c) The Indians are setting a bad example for the colonists.
(d) Children are becoming undisciplined and grow up to think they can do whatever they wish.
3. Which of the following is one of the goals, listed by Cotton Mather, that the Puritans have in mind when they found their colonies?
(a) They want a man to be able to spend seven years in the community and be able to say that he had not heard one oath sworn.
(b) They want to know that every child, rich or poor, in the community would be able to read the Bible.
(c) They want to be sure that every person in the community went to church every Sunday.
(d) They want to be certain that every person in the community had enough to eat and drink.
4. What is De Soto looking for?
(b) The Fountain of Youth
5. Who is Juan Ortiz?
(a) A Spanish soldier separated from an earlier expedition who lived with the Indians for 12 years.
(b) The leader of the Indian community that helped De Soto and his men to survive the first winter.
(c) De Soto's commanding officer, stationed in Cuba, to whom De Soto writes letters.
(d) De Soto's brother who accompanied him on the expedition and on whom De Soto relied.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacataqua ask Aaron Burr to do?
2. Who is "beautiful as a cane box"?
3. Where do De Soto and his men retreat to after the Indians burn their camp?
4. Who or what is Mabilla?
5. What happens when Bridget Bishop attempts to plead not guilty?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)