* Horace Gregory introduces William Carlos Williams' collection of essays.
* Gregory warns the reader against the trap that history can be and against regarding history as truth.
* Gregory admires Williams' approach to history for its freshness and for its appreciation of how our history shapes the American national identity.
* Gregory admires Williams' prose for its lyricism and beauty.
* Eric the Red was exiled from Iceland for killing a man who killed his slaves.
* As Eric was leaving Iceland, Thorgest tried to steal from him, but Eric took his property back, and in the ensuing chase, two of Thorgest's sons were killed.
* Eric makes a new start in Greenland.
* Eric's son, Lief Erickson, sails to Norway, a journey of 1000 miles, and back.
* Lief brought back news that Olaf had issued an edict against Eric.
* When Eric grew old, his daughter Freydis went with the other Greenlanders to...
This section contains 2,658 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)