|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 3?
2. When was Jamila Wideman born?
3. When did women first enter Amherst College as transfer students?
4. What is the name of Lucia Maraniss's mother?
5. For what product of her uncle's did Rita chop onions to produce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Kim feel responsible for the Hurricanes' loss to Northampton in the 1992 playoff game?
2. Who led the author to write about the Amherst Lady Hurricanes? How?
3. What is Jamila Wideman's history with and relationship to basketball?
4. How does the author describe Rita Powell's home life?
5. Where did Rita Powell want to attend summer camp?
6. What game is described on March 3, 1992? Who played and what was at stake?
7. How did Kim Warner prepare for the 1992-93 season?
8. What was Kristin's main concern about the coming season in Chapter 4?
9. How is Patri Abad described in the narrative?
10. How is Jamila Wideman's family described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author explore and emphasize the themes of gender expectations and women's struggles for equality in athletics in the book? What are examples of bias against women sports? How have perceptions of women athletes changed?
Essay Topic 2
How does author Madeleine Blais describe her relationship and history with team sports? What prompted the author to write In These Girls, Hope Is a Muscle? What do you think the author's objectives were in writing the book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Hurricanes' first game of the 1992-93 season. Against what team did they play? What strategies were employed during the game? Who won and what was the final score?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)