|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many siblings does Rita Powell have?
2. When does the author describe Bobby Thompson making a home run that was heard around the world in the Prologue?
3. What was the school bus nicknamed by the Amherst Lady Hurricanes, according to the author in Chapter 1?
4. What is Kristin Martin's father's profession?
5. What does the author claim the official seal is for Amherst in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kim Warner prepare for the 1992-93 season?
2. What are some of the main characteristics of Amherst, Massachusetts?
3. What intention does the author describe for the book in her Prologue?
4. Who led the author to write about the Amherst Lady Hurricanes? How?
5. What is Jen Pariseau's history with and relationship to basketball?
6. How is Jamila Wideman's performance in the game described in Chapter 1?
7. How is Kim Warner's family life described?
8. How is Lucia Moraniss described in the narrative?
9. How is Jamila Wideman's family described?
10. What is Jamila Wideman's history with and relationship to basketball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss basketball as a metaphor for life. What are examples of plays in the game that relate to choices that we make in our lives? What meaning does the sport of basketball have for the individuals in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main positions in basketball. How many positions are there? What role does each position play? What roles are assigned to the members of the Hurricanes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the author's depiction of Kathleen Poe in the book. Why was senior year a significant time for Kathleen? How did this reflect on her performance on the court? What was Kathleen's greatest weakness as a player?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)