|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Minerva fear as she heads to visit her husband?
2. Which of the following is NOT arrested?
3. What does Dede have to become when her sisters are killed?
4. How does Minerva feel after being released from prison?
5. What does Minerva hang her hopes on after she is released from prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Mary Teresa reports her struggles in prison?
2. How are the sisters’ children cared for after they die?
3. What causes Patria to lose her farm?
4. How does Manolo die?
5. Why is Nelson released from prison?
6. What happens to Mary Teresa in prison?
7. How does Minerva respond to the failure of what she puts her hope in after being released from prison?
8. What does Lio say when he talks to Dede after the murders?
9. Who is Margarita?
10. What gives Minerva hope after she is released from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patria changes a great deal in this book. What are some of these changes and how do they come about?
Essay Topic 2
Enrique feels betrayed by some important parts of his life. Who does he feel has betrayed him and why?
Essay Topic 3
Dede gives an interview to a reporter in the book. Why does she do this, and what does this add to the plot?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)