|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Manolo surrenders?
2. What does Mary Teresa experiment with in prison?
3. What kind of prisoners is Mary Teresa kept with?
4. What does Dede have to become when her sisters are killed?
5. What happens when Minerva tries to call her house after visiting her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Patria to lose her farm?
2. What happens after Mary Teresa reports her struggles in prison?
3. How does Minerva respond to the failure of what she puts her hope in after being released from prison?
4. How does Margarita help the family?
5. What gives Minerva hope after she is released from prison?
6. How does Mary Teresa report her struggles in prison?
7. How does this book end?
8. Why is Nelson released from prison?
9. What does Lio say when he talks to Dede after the murders?
10. Why is Leandro moved to a different prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patria loses her faith at one point. How did this happen and what came of it?
Essay Topic 2
Purity is a main theme of this book. How is this theme presented, and why would this be so central in a plot like this?
Essay Topic 3
Dede gives an interview to a reporter in the book. Why does she do this, and what does this add to the plot?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)