|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard for Minerva to visit her husband?
2. How many women are in the cell with Minerva?
3. Why does Minerva travel with Patria when she visits her husband?
4. What happens to Minerva when what she hoped for after being released from prison doesn’t happen?
5. What kind of prisoners is Mary Teresa kept with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What task is put on Dede when her sisters die?
2. What gives Minerva hope after she is released from prison?
3. Who tells the most about the experience in prison, and how is it described?
4. How do the Mirabal sisters die?
5. Who is Rufino and why is he important to the plot?
6. Why is Nelson released from prison?
7. How does this book end?
8. Why is Leandro moved to a different prison?
9. What causes Patria to lose her farm?
10. How does Minerva respond to the failure of what she puts her hope in after being released from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patria changes a great deal in this book. What are some of these changes and how do they come about?
Essay Topic 2
Minerva changed when she began listening to Lio. What were some of these changes, and what do you think caused them?
Essay Topic 3
Dede is not able to help her sisters. Why is this, and what does this teach us?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)