Section I: 1938-1946
• Dede is waiting to be interviewed about her family. She says her father once told her she would bury them all in silk and pearls. It seems this has happened.
• Minerva and Patria went to boarding school together in the 40s and were close.
• Here they made friends with Sinita whose male family members were all killed for standing against Trujillo, the Dominican dictator.
• Minerva is shocked by this as she has been told her whole life to honor him.
• Trujillo comes to the school and seduces Lina, the prettiest girl there. When she gets pregnant, she is sent away to Miami.
• Minerva, Sinita, Elsa, and some others create and perform a play for the Independence Day and are chosen to perform for Trujillo.
• During this performance, Sinita points a bow and arrow at Trujillo, but Trujillo’s son stops her from killing him.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)