|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say in response to Patricia's anger?
2. What does Arthur Lux want to talk to Patricia for?
3. How does the narrator describe the killing at Thuan Yen?
4. What does Arthur Lux tell John about the election?
5. What literary term describes the description of Kathy's return from her time with Harmon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we know for sure at the end of the book?
2. Describe the relationship between John and Vinny Pearson in Chapter 23, "Where They Looked".
3. Describe the conversation Kathy and Tony Carbo have after John finds them gambling together.
4. What did John and his company do after the massacre?
5. What did Tony Carbo tell John and Kathy on the night of the election?
6. What are Kathy's plans, according to the hypothesis in Chapter 18?
7. Describe how Patricia comes to Lake of the Woods.
8. What does Patricia say to John when she arrives?
9. Describe John's departure from Lake of the Woods.
10. What was the report about Robert T'Souvas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How realistic is this book? What parts are not believable? What leaps of faith does the author require of the reader?
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrator create a sense of certainty in a book that is ceaselessly probing into facts to get at the unwritten and unknowable truth. Is certainty relative--does it depend on your personal interpretation? Are facts knowable? Is truth simply practical? What epistemology--science of knowledge--informs 'In the Lake of the Woods'?
Essay Topic 3
Is Lake of the Woods a uniquely American book? What makes it American, or in what way is it something else? Is it international or supra-national?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)