|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calley say about the massacre?
2. What does Patricia say about her sister?
3. What does Tony Carbo say John does not believe in?
4. How did John's father die?
5. How long before he left Vietnam did John get a desk job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the evidence presented in Chapter 25 indicate about the massacre in Thuan Yen?
2. What are Kathy's plans, according to the hypothesis in Chapter 18?
3. What was Kathy thinking about, in the narrator's hypothesis in Chapter 24?
4. Describe the arrangements John makes for the day after Patricia's arrival?
5. What are Arthur Lux and Vinny Pearson's opinions about John according to the evidence presented in Chapter 25?
6. What did John and Kathy do after John gave his concession speech on election night?
7. What was the report about Robert T'Souvas?
8. Describe how Patricia comes to Lake of the Woods.
9. Describe the scene the soldiers encountered when they were ordered back to Thuan Yen.
10. What was John like in the eighth grade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the contents of the book, describe what John's future is likely to be like. Where would he go, and what would he do, after losing radio contact? Is he done with life? Is he ripe to start over? Base your answer on evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What questions are we really asking when we ask what happened to Kathy? What is this book really about, at bottom?
Essay Topic 3
Make a timeline of the events described in the book, and then devise a method of indicating how the book jumps back and forth between times. What structure or pattern emerges? What is unique about this structure?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)