|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when John showed up where Kathy and Tony Carbo were gambling?
2. What does Patricia say about her sister?
3. Who was the only soldier convicted for the Thuan Yen massacre?
4. What does Claude Rasmussen tell John on the radio?
5. What parallel does Patricia draw between John and Kathy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between John and Vinny Pearson in Chapter 23, "Where They Looked".
2. Describe the relationship between Kathy and Tony Carbo.
3. What did John and his company do after the massacre?
4. Describe John's departure from Lake of the Woods.
5. What do we know for sure at the end of the book?
6. What does Eleanor Wade say about John's father's death and its effect on John?
7. What does the narrator theorize in the hypothesis in Chapter 18?
8. What does the narrator speculate happened, in the hypothesis in Chapter 27?
9. What do Sandra Karra and Deborah Lindquist say about John's talents as a magician in the Evidence chapter, chapter 20?
10. What did John and Kathy do after John gave his concession speech on election night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is the John still always trying to erase himself from the records after Vietnam? Where does he succeed? Where does he fail? Is complete erasure possible? Is it desirable?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Kathy's infidelity to John with Harmon and John's infidelity to Kathy with politics. How are they similar? How are they different? Can they even be described in the same terms?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)