|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the radio on John's boat, ultimately?
2. What is Arthur Lux's final opinion about John and Kathy?
3. How did John's platoon try to block the stench of the dead?
4. What does Tony Carbo tell John after the election?
5. What did Colonel William V. Wilson say about the massacre at Thuan Yen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation Kathy and Tony Carbo have after John finds them gambling together.
2. What was the report about Robert T'Souvas?
3. What does sorcerer admit to in the evidence from the court martial hearings?
4. What are Kathy's plans, according to the hypothesis in Chapter 18?
5. Describe the arrangements John makes for the day after Patricia's arrival?
6. Describe the relationship between Kathy and Tony Carbo.
7. What did the evidence presented in Chapter 25 indicate about the massacre in Thuan Yen?
8. Describe the scene the soldiers encountered when they were ordered back to Thuan Yen.
9. What did John and his company do after the massacre?
10. Describe how Patricia comes to Lake of the Woods.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role and importance of uncharted wilderness in 'In the Lake of the Woods'. What archetype of wilderness is this book aligned with? The wilderness of myths and legends? The wilderness of the frontier? The wilderness of indigenous people in North America?
Essay Topic 2
What is Tim O'Brien doing with the form of the novel by refusing to answer the question of Kathy's disappearance? How is 'In the Lake of the Woods' different from the 'typical' novel? What is the benefit of that difference? What are the drawbacks?
Essay Topic 3
Is Lake of the Woods a uniquely American book? What makes it American, or in what way is it something else? Is it international or supra-national?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)