|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the sheriff come out to the lake from?
2. What imagery does O'Brien use to convey the scene of John's anger and Kathy's reaction to it?
3. What does John omit from his letters to Kathy from Vietnam?
4. What does John do after being discharged from the military?
5. Why is it impossible for John and Kathy to do the things they dream about doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John's relationship with his father.
2. Why did John join the military?
3. What did John tell himself about what he did to Weatherby?
4. Describe the importance of the abortion Kathy had.
5. What does John think about Kathy's absence?
6. Describe the setting of the opening scene of In the Lake of the Woods.
7. What indication does the book give us about what really happened?
8. How does Kathy die in the hypothesis in Chapter 14?
9. What is the narrator's hypothesis in Chapter 14?
10. Describe the difference between Arthur Lux and Vinny Pearson.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
How does this book create its effect on the reader? Describe in detail how Tim O'Brien uses a combination of suspense and details to draw the reader in.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the contents of the book, describe what John's future is likely to be like. Where would he go, and what would he do, after losing radio contact? Is he done with life? Is he ripe to start over? Base your answer on evidence from the text.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)