|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John watch Weatherby do?
2. What does Kathy say in the letter John gets in Chapter 13, "The Nature of the Beast"?
3. How does John describe the scene he encountered after reading Kathy's letter?
4. What was John's relationship with his father like?
5. What was John like in the beginning of his relationship with Kathy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn about John's character from the evidence and narrative?
2. Describe John's relationship with his father.
3. Why did John join the military?
4. What do we know about the night of the boiling plants?
5. What does John tell Kathy in his letters from Vietnam?
6. Describe the effect of reading In the Lake of the Woods.
7. What additional information do we get about the night of the boiling plants?
8. What did John discover when he returned from the war?
9. What is the narrator's hypothesis in Chapter 14?
10. What happens shortly after John got this letter from Kathy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the contents of the book, describe what John's future is likely to be like. Where would he go, and what would he do, after losing radio contact? Is he done with life? Is he ripe to start over? Base your answer on evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
To what degree is this book internally consistent? How much does it follow the rules it lays out for its own unfolding?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of In the Lake of the Woods--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)