|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to soldier Weatherby?
2. What does John do after being discharged from the military?
3. What did John's campaign manager call John's opponent's tactics?
4. When did John pass the bar?
5. What does John wonder about after Kathy has gone missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Arthur Lux and Vinny Pearson think happened to Kathy?
2. Where does the narrator says that Kathy might have gone in his hypothesis in Chapter 9?
3. When did the Wades discover that the election was lost?
4. Why did John join the military?
5. What happens shortly after John got this letter from Kathy?
6. What did John discover when he returned from the war?
7. Describe the setting of the opening scene of In the Lake of the Woods.
8. What was John's experience of Vietnam like, and what did Weatherby have to do with his experience?
9. What does John tell Kathy in his letters from Vietnam?
10. What did John tell himself about what he did to Weatherby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make a timeline of the events described in the book, and then devise a method of indicating how the book jumps back and forth between times. What structure or pattern emerges? What is unique about this structure?
Essay Topic 2
What is Tim O'Brien doing with the form of the novel by refusing to answer the question of Kathy's disappearance? How is 'In the Lake of the Woods' different from the 'typical' novel? What is the benefit of that difference? What are the drawbacks?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are the investigations into Kathy's disappear and the massacre at Thuan Yen parallel? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)