|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's last hypothesis?
(a) That John and Kathy agreed to go into the lake together.
(b) That John killed Kathy.
(c) That John and Kathy ran away together.
(d) That Kathy simply disappeared, almost as if by magic.
2. What does Patricia say about the point John brings up about Kathy in Chapter 19, "What was Found"?
(a) That Kathy was crafty, and probably left a sign somewhere.
(b) That the affair was an attempt to get him to wake up.
(c) That she never believed her sister really loved John.
(d) That she loved politics.
3. What does the narrator think happened to Kathy?
(a) She got in an accident.
(b) She was injured from John pouring boiling water on her.
(c) She passed out for lack of food and water.
(d) She got lost in the endless lake and islands.
4. How does the narrator describe the killing at Thuan Yen?
(a) It was over in a few minutes.
(b) It went on for four hours.
(c) It was chaotic.
(d) It was premeditated and cold-blooded.
5. What did John do at his desk job?
(a) Forged papers for his own discharge.
(b) Removed his name from the platoon rolls.
(c) Removed all reference to the massacre.
(d) Transferred himself to another platoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trait of John's intensified after his father's death?
2. How long before he left Vietnam did John get a desk job?
3. How does Arthur Lux say John might counter some of the rumors about his role in Kathy's disappearance?
4. What changed John's mind from what he and Calley agreed to?
5. What do Claude and Ruth do in Chapter 19, "What was Found"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene the soldiers encountered when they were ordered back to Thuan Yen.
2. What does Patricia say to John when she arrives?
3. Why did John reenlist after his first tour in Vietnam?
4. Describe John's departure from Lake of the Woods.
5. What does the narrator speculate happened, in the hypothesis in Chapter 27?
6. What do we know for sure at the end of the book?
7. What did John and Kathy do after John gave his concession speech on election night?
8. Describe the relationship between John and Vinny Pearson in Chapter 23, "Where They Looked".
9. Describe the arrangements John makes for the day after Patricia's arrival?
10. What is the narrator's last hypothesis?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)