|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say was found, in Chapter 19, "What was Found"?
(a) Life preservers.
(b) Wreckage of the boat.
(c) Kathy's clothing.
(d) No sign.
2. What technique does the narrator use in narrating the Hypothesis chapters?
3. What do Claude and Ruth do in Chapter 19, "What was Found"?
(a) Watch the news.
(b) Man the phones.
(c) Cook for John.
(d) Search the lake for Kathy.
4. What did John think about the work he did at his desk job?
(a) He worried only about being recognized by his comrades.
(b) He would never be tracked down as Sorcerer.
(c) He was anxious about the papers stored at sites he could not get to.
(d) It was not foolproof, but it freed him.
5. What did John tell Kathy about why he re-enlisted?
(a) He said he wanted to see more of the war and get a promotion.
(b) He said he needed closure.
(c) He did not explain.
(d) He said he was still looking for something.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Colonel William V. Wilson say about the massacre at Thuan Yen?
2. How does Patricia arrive in Chapter 19, "What was Found"?
3. What does Claude Rasmussen tell John on the radio?
4. What parallel does Patricia draw between John and Kathy?
5. What does the narrator think happened to Kathy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did John and his company do after the massacre?
2. Describe how Patricia comes to Lake of the Woods.
3. Describe the scene the soldiers encountered when they were ordered back to Thuan Yen.
4. Describe John's departure from Lake of the Woods.
5. What did Tony Carbo tell John and Kathy on the night of the election?
6. What is the narrator's last hypothesis?
7. What was John like in the eighth grade?
8. What does Eleanor Wade say about John's father's death and its effect on John?
9. Describe the scene of the massacre as the evidence reveals it in Chapter 21.
10. What does the narrator speculate in the hypothesis in Chapter 24?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)