|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Arthur Lux tell John when John goes to meet Patricia's arrival?
(a) That Kathy will turn up.
(b) That he believes in him as a politician.
(c) That he suspects her of murder.
(d) That people get lost here all the time.
2. What does the narrator speculate Kathy was thinking about in the scenario he lays out?
(d) Having a baby.
3. What does Patricia say about the point John brings up about Kathy in Chapter 19, "What was Found"?
(a) That the affair was an attempt to get him to wake up.
(b) That she never believed her sister really loved John.
(c) That she loved politics.
(d) That Kathy was crafty, and probably left a sign somewhere.
4. What comes out about Sorcerer in testimony during the court martial?
(a) That he killed one of his own.
(b) That he falsified his records.
(c) That he killed women and children.
(d) That he killed civilians.
5. What happens to the radio on John's boat, ultimately?
(a) John smashes it.
(b) It breaks.
(c) John gets beyond range for any transmission to get through.
(d) He disconnects it and drops it overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator suggest in Chapter 18, "Hypothesis"?
2. What did John notice after the massacre?
3. What does Claude Rasmussen tell John on the radio?
4. What is Arthur Lux's final opinion about John and Kathy?
5. What does John say in response to Patricia's anger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene the soldiers encountered when they were ordered back to Thuan Yen.
2. Describe the relationship between Kathy and Tony Carbo.
3. What are Kathy's plans, according to the hypothesis in Chapter 18?
4. What was Kathy thinking about, in the narrator's hypothesis in Chapter 24?
5. What is the narrator's last hypothesis?
6. What are Arthur Lux and Vinny Pearson's opinions about John according to the evidence presented in Chapter 25?
7. What did the evidence presented in Chapter 25 indicate about the massacre in Thuan Yen?
8. Describe the night in Las Vegas when John found Kathy and Tony Carbo gambling.
9. What does Eleanor Wade say about John's father's death and its effect on John?
10. What do Sandra Karra and Deborah Lindquist say about John's talents as a magician in the Evidence chapter, chapter 20?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)