|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John do the morning after the night of the boiling plants?
(a) Sleeps in.
(b) Goes for a hike.
(c) Takes the boat out.
(d) Writes Kathy a letter.
2. What does Kathy say in the letter John gets in Chapter 13, "The Nature of the Beast"?
(a) That she needs freedom from him.
(b) That she met someone else.
(c) That she is waiting for him.
(d) That she wants to get married.
3. What does Paul Meadlo admit to when he is questioned?
(a) Taking trophies from dead bodies.
(b) Shooting women and children.
(c) Stealing from Vietnamese.
(d) Raping prisoners.
4. What is John's hypothesis in Chapter 9 "Hypothesis"?
(a) That Kathy went to get help for him and was injured along the way.
(b) That Kathy just walked away from the cabin.
(c) That he killed Kathy.
(d) That someone killed Kathy.
5. How would you describe Eleanor Wade's contributions to Chapter 2?
(a) Criminal complaint.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John describe his memory of the night of the boiling water?
2. What did John do in the middle of the night?
3. How do John and Kathy treat each other by their seventh day at the cabin?
4. Who is Arthur Lux?
5. What does John remember about the night of the boiling plants after Arthur Lux and Vinny Pearson leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John join the military?
2. What do we know about the night of the boiling plants?
3. When did the Wades discover that the election was lost?
4. How well are John and Kathy doing, at coping with events?
5. What indication does the book give us about what really happened?
6. Describe the effect of reading In the Lake of the Woods.
7. What sources does the narrator use, to piece together the story?
8. What do we hear about Weatherby that adds to what we heard about earlier?
9. What does Kathy tell John in a letter to him in Vietnam?
10. What did John discover when he returned from the war?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)