|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did John cope with the event that took place when he was 14?
(a) He moved back and forth between his parents.
(b) He befriended the neighborhood housewives.
(c) He pretended his father was still alive.
(d) He studied the Vietnam War in school.
2. What does John wonder about after Kathy has gone missing?
(a) What Kathy thought of him.
(b) What would have happened if they'd made love.
(c) Where he could go to escape suspicion for her disappearance.
(d) Whether Kathy had been having an affair.
3. What does John tell himself about Weatherby?
(a) That nothing could have saved Weatherby.
(b) That he wasn't responsible for Weatherby's death.
(c) That Weatherby was going to die anyway.
(d) That he was going to have to pay for what happened to Weatherby.
4. When did John and Kathy meet?
5. What has just taken place when In the Lake of the Woods begins?
(a) A birth.
(b) Primary elections.
(c) A massacre.
(d) A murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John make in his first job in politics?
2. What does John think Kathy thinks of him?
3. When is Chapter 8, "How the Night Passed", set?
4. What happened to soldier Weatherby?
5. What does Claude Rasmussen say about Vinny Pearson's suspicions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Kathy's feelings in the hypothesis in Chapter 9?
2. When did the Wades discover that the election was lost?
3. What sources does the narrator use, to piece together the story?
4. What does Kathy tell John in a letter to him in Vietnam?
5. Describe the importance of the abortion Kathy had.
6. Describe the difference between Arthur Lux and Vinny Pearson.
7. What do Arthur Lux and Vinny Pearson think happened to Kathy?
8. What is the narrator's hypothesis in Chapter 14?
9. What does John think about Kathy's absence?
10. What did John tell himself about what he did to Weatherby?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)