|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary term describes the description of Kathy's return from her time with Harmon?
2. What does the narrator say Kathy might have done in Chapter 22, "Hypothesis"?
(a) Run away to Canada.
(b) Gotten in an accident.
(c) Gotten hypothermia.
(d) Kept herself alive while she was lost.
3. What does Arthur Lux tell John about the election?
(a) John deserved to be celebrated.
(b) John deserved to lose.
(c) John deserved to be arrested.
(d) John deserved better.
4. What does John point out to Patricia about Kathy?
(a) That she hadn't left any sign.
(b) That she loved him deeply.
(c) That she had an affair.
(d) That she hated politics.
5. What does John tell Claude Rasmussen after talking with Patricia?
(a) That he didn't kill Kathy.
(b) That Patricia will be in charge now.
(c) That he would like to use the boat for the next day.
(d) That he is going to call off the search.
6. What does John ask Tony Carbo in response to Tony Carbo's announcement?
(a) What can be saved.
(b) Who will he be working for.
(c) Whether he really means to stand by him.
(d) Couldn't he wait.
7. How did John's father die?
(a) He shot himself.
(c) He hanged himself.
(d) Heart attack.
8. How did John spend his time in eighth grade?
(a) Practicing basketball.
(c) Practicing magic.
9. What trait of John's intensified after his father's death?
(a) Need for attention.
10. What gesture does John make after Kathy returned from seeing Harmon?
(a) He cuddles with her.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He squeezes her waist.
(d) He makes love to her.
11. How did John's platoon try to block the stench of the dead?
(a) By tying rags around their faces.
(b) By burning everything.
(c) By spraying the bodies with lye.
(d) By covering the bodies with ash.
12. What is Kathy's feeling after John's appearance where she and Tony Carbo were gambling?
13. What is Arthur Lux's final opinion about John and Kathy?
(a) He knows John is a good guy.
(b) He got busy with other things, and the mystery stopped being meaningful to him.
(c) He continues to examine different possibilities.
(d) He feels like he should have listened to Vinny Pearson.
14. What does John tell Claude Rasmussen in response?
(a) That the police won't find anything.
(b) That Kathy might still turn up.
(c) That he will be gone before anyone finds anything.
(d) That his friends from Vietnam won't talk.
15. Where was Kathy when John made his concession speech on election night?
(a) At her sister's house.
(b) By his side.
(c) At home.
(d) At a fundraiser.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kathy tell Tony Carbo she felt after her affair with Harmon?
2. What direction does John travel in Chapter 28, "How He Went Away"?
3. What happens to the radio on John's boat, ultimately?
4. What is Kathy's relationship with Harmon, in the hypothesis in Chapter 24?
5. Where do the police look for Kathy?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)