|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Patricia say about her sister?
(a) That she was a good person.
(b) That she deserved better than John.
(c) That she had an image of her on an island.
(d) That she was in danger.
2. What does the narrator say Kathy might have done in Chapter 22, "Hypothesis"?
(a) Kept herself alive while she was lost.
(b) Run away to Canada.
(c) Gotten hypothermia.
(d) Gotten in an accident.
3. Where was Kathy when John made his concession speech on election night?
(a) At her sister's house.
(b) By his side.
(c) At a fundraiser.
(d) At home.
4. What evidence does the narrator describe for this hypothesis?
(a) There haven't been any signs of Kathy or the boat.
(b) Kathy always talked about leaving John and going to Vegas.
(c) That Kathy was abducted.
(d) Kathy was taking antidepressants.
5. What gesture does John make after Kathy returned from seeing Harmon?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He cuddles with her.
(c) He makes love to her.
(d) He squeezes her waist.
6. What does Kathy do after returning from Harmon?
(a) Works out vigorously.
(b) Makes love with John.
(c) Has a long bath.
(d) Reads in bed.
7. What does Calley order the men to do?
(a) Plant weapons in the village.
(b) Forget any atrocities.
(c) Take trophies from the dead.
(d) Clean up the village.
8. Where does John sleep on his first night out from the cabin?
(a) An island.
(b) In a Canadian town.
(c) He doesn't sleep.
(d) In the boat.
9. What does John say in response to Patricia's anger?
(a) That he had been looking for Kathy.
(b) That he had been having a hard time with a lot of things.
(c) That he thought Kathy would turn up.
(d) That he quit drinking years ago.
10. What did PFC Thinbill tell John?
(a) That the town was going to be a bloodbath.
(b) That the enemy had infiltrated the civilians.
(c) That there would be no civilians. That the town was friendly.
(d) That they were going to get revenge at Thuan Yen.
11. What does Claude Rasmussen tell John on the radio?
(a) Vinny Pearson has been fired for exceeding his authority in searching the cabin.
(b) The police are tearing apart the cabin and the surroundings.
(c) The police are calling members of his platoon from Vietnam.
(d) The police are giving up on the search for Kathy.
12. What is Kathy's feeling after John's appearance where she and Tony Carbo were gambling?
13. What do Claude and Ruth do in Chapter 19, "What was Found"?
(a) Cook for John.
(b) Watch the news.
(c) Man the phones.
(d) Search the lake for Kathy.
14. Who is Deborah Lindquist?
(a) Kathy's advisor.
(b) John's magic teacher.
(c) John's campaign manager.
(d) A classmate of Kathy's.
15. How did Robert W. T'Souvas die?
(a) From cancer.
(b) During an operation on his appendix.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) In a bar fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction does John travel in Chapter 28, "How He Went Away"?
2. What does Arthur Lux tell John about the election?
3. In the hypothesis in Chapter 27, what does John do?
4. How does Arthur Lux say John might counter some of the rumors about his role in Kathy's disappearance?
5. What does the narrator say was found, in Chapter 19, "What was Found"?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)