|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator say Kathy might have headed toward?
(a) Rainy River.
(b) Three Rivers.
(c) Buckete Island.
2. What did John's father call him when he (John) was in eighth grade?
(a) Javelin John.
(c) Jiggling John.
3. How did John's father die?
(a) He hanged himself.
(b) He shot himself.
(c) Heart attack.
4. What did John do at his desk job?
(a) Removed all reference to the massacre.
(b) Forged papers for his own discharge.
(c) Removed his name from the platoon rolls.
(d) Transferred himself to another platoon.
5. What does Kathy say when Tony Carbo says that John likes to stack the deck?
(a) That John can never hide his awkwardness.
(b) That John is a master of making the trick look easy.
(c) That she can always tell how John does his tricks.
(d) That John doesn't cheat.
6. How does Claude Rasmussen describe the search for Kathy?
(a) A stab in the dark.
(b) A crapshoot.
(c) A fool's errand.
(d) Shooting fish in a barrel.
7. How did John spend his time in eighth grade?
(a) Practicing magic.
(d) Practicing basketball.
8. Where was Kathy when John made his concession speech on election night?
(a) At her sister's house.
(b) At a fundraiser.
(c) By his side.
(d) At home.
9. Why is Patricia angry with John when she arrives?
(a) Because she's upset about her sister.
(b) Because he didn't call sooner.
(c) Because she thinks he killed Kathy.
(d) Because he looks like he's been drinking.
10. What does Tony Carbo say in response to John's question?
(a) He says he is a pig and couldn't help himself.
(b) He says that he had been recruited.
(c) He says that John is finished in politics.
(d) He says he can still get John on the ballot for state representative.
11. What does the narrator suggest in Chapter 18, "Hypothesis"?
(a) That Kathy did not have an accident.
(b) That Kathy was abducted.
(c) That Kathy was suicidal.
(d) That Kathy ran aground or ran out of fuel.
12. Who is Deborah Lindquist?
(a) A classmate of Kathy's.
(b) John's campaign manager.
(c) John's magic teacher.
(d) Kathy's advisor.
13. What does Claude Rasmussen tell John on the radio?
(a) The police are giving up on the search for Kathy.
(b) Vinny Pearson has been fired for exceeding his authority in searching the cabin.
(c) The police are tearing apart the cabin and the surroundings.
(d) The police are calling members of his platoon from Vietnam.
14. What trait of John's intensified after his father's death?
(b) Need for attention.
15. What do PFC Thinbill and John agree to do the night after the massacre?
(a) Tell the truth.
(b) Cover it up.
(c) Pray for forgiveness.
(d) Kill Calley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when John showed up where Kathy and Tony Carbo were gambling?
2. Who was Sandra Karra?
3. What does the narrator say happened to Kathy in Chapter 24, "Hypothesis"?
4. Where do the police look for Kathy?
5. Where do John and Kathy go immediately after the concession speech?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)