|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John do after being discharged from the military?
(a) Surprises Kathy in her class.
(b) Catches Kathy in an affair.
(c) Stalks Kathy.
(d) Visits his mother.
2. When does In the Lake of the Woods begin?
3. What does John wonder about after Kathy has gone missing?
(a) What would have happened if they'd made love.
(b) What Kathy thought of him.
(c) Where he could go to escape suspicion for her disappearance.
(d) Whether Kathy had been having an affair.
4. Who is John Wade?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A mechanic.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A politician.
5. What did John make in his first job in politics?
6. What was John's nickname in Vietnam?
7. What does Vinny think happened?
(a) Kathy framed John for her own murder.
(b) John killed Kathy and dumped her body.
(c) Kathy got in a boat accident.
(d) Kathy took the chance to disappear into Canada.
8. What happened to soldier Weatherby?
(a) John held him while he died.
(b) John shot him.
(c) John rescued him.
(d) John recovered his body.
9. What do John and Kathy do on their seventh day at the cabin?
(a) Clean the cabin.
(b) Read and sleep and make love.
(c) Swim and lie in the sun.
(d) Put in a garden.
10. When do we discover that Kathy is missing?
(a) When the sheriff shows up at John and Kathy's cabin.
(b) When Vinny Pearson says that he thinks Wade killed her.
(c) When Wade wakes up.
(d) When Wade describes pouring boiling water on the plants.
11. How many times did John wake up during the night in Chapter 8?
(b) He didn't wake up till morning.
(c) He never went to sleep.
(d) Three times.
12. Where did John and Kathy meet?
(a) University of Minnesota.
(c) Lake of the Woods.
(d) Washington D.C.
13. What does the narrator say motivated John to join the military?
(a) Desire for firepower.
(b) Desire for structure.
(c) Desire for escape.
(d) Desire for distinction.
14. What did John watch Weatherby do?
(a) Hide in a ditch.
(b) Kill Kathy.
(c) Scalp a man.
(d) Shoot two girls.
15. What does Claude Rasmussen say about Vinny Pearson's suspicions?
(a) He says it's hard not to come to the same conclusion.
(b) He says Vinny Pearson distrusts every outsider.
(c) He doesn't believe John had anything to do with Kathy's disappearance.
(d) He says that Vinny Pearson is a difficult person to deal with, everyone thinks so.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has just taken place when In the Lake of the Woods begins?
2. What does John tell Kathy about in his letters from Vietnam?
3. How old is Kathy at the beginning of In the Lake of the Woods?
4. What evidence did the clerk from town contribute to the discussion Arthur Lux and Vinny Pearson had with John?
5. What does Kathy suspect John of when he joins the military?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)