|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Chapter 8, "How the Night Passed", set?
(a) The night when John returned from the military.
(b) The night when John and his company massacred the Vietnamese.
(c) The night before Kathy's disappearance.
(d) The night when John lost the election.
2. Why is it impossible for John and Kathy to do the things they dream about doing?
(a) They are fleeing from the authorities.
(b) John is drinking too much.
(c) Kathy is ill.
(d) They are in debt.
3. How did John react when he and his company were caught in a firefight?
(a) He cowered in a ditch.
(b) He killed everyone he saw.
(c) He shot at everything that moved.
(d) He was brave and composed under fire.
4. What does John think Kathy thinks of him?
(a) That he is too furious to be around.
(b) That nothing is good enough for him.
(c) That he is psychotic and out of control.
(d) That he wants to kill everything around him.
5. What did John say about the thing he arranged for Kathy?
(a) It was good for her character.
(b) It was bad timing.
(c) It was the best way.
(d) It was worth the separation.
6. What evidence did the clerk from town contribute to the discussion Arthur Lux and Vinny Pearson had with John?
(a) That Kathy had threatened to leave John.
(b) That John and Kathy had been arguing.
(c) That John had threatened to kill Kathy.
(d) That Kathy had threatened to ruin John's career.
7. How does John respond to the clerk's evidence?
(a) He says the fight was nothing.
(b) He says that he and Kathy had a rough sense of humor.
(c) He says that Kathy was playful, and acted in college.
(d) He says that Kathy had never threatened to leave him.
8. Where did John begin his political career?
(a) The Minnesota Democratic Farmer Labor Party.
(b) The Minnesota Socialist Party.
(c) The military.
(d) The Minnesota Republican Party.
9. What does John say about secrets?
(a) That he tells Kathy everything.
(b) That he keeps them from himself.
(c) That he doesn't keep them.
(d) That he doesn't share certain secrets.
10. What does John remember about the night of the boiling plants after Arthur Lux and Vinny Pearson leave?
(a) Walking into the bedroom.
(b) Taking the boat out.
(c) Digging a hole.
(d) Carrying Kathy.
11. What does John promise Kathy they will take on their travels?
(a) A senator's authority.
(b) Lots of money.
(c) Their innocence.
(d) Lots of children.
12. What was John's relationship with his father like?
13. How do John and Kathy treat each other by their seventh day at the cabin?
(a) They are careful with each other.
(b) They are hostile toward each other.
(c) They are indifferent to each other.
(d) They are intimate with each other.
14. What imagery does O'Brien use to convey the scene of John's anger and Kathy's reaction to it?
(a) The sound of water splashing.
(b) The scent of wet wool.
(c) The sound of screaming.
(d) The comparison of John's pain to electric eels.
15. Why does John say he might have slept through the outboard motor starting on the boat?
(a) He had been drinking.
(b) He had slept with earplugs.
(c) The cabin was far from the lake.
(d) He had been ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John describe his memory of the night of the boiling water?
2. Where does John promise to take Kathy?
3. Which of these is NOT a secret John keeps from everyone?
4. Who is Tony Carbo?
5. What do John and Kathy do on their seventh day at the cabin?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)