|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John remember from the night of the boiling water?
(a) Pouring boiling water on himself.
(b) Admitting his crime in Vietnam.
(c) Kathy not being in bed.
(d) Killing Kathy.
2. What does Kathy suspect John of when he joins the military?
(a) Political aspirations.
(c) Running from the law.
3. Where does John promise to take Kathy?
4. What had John and Kathy tried to do, that had been a failure?
(a) Made love.
(b) Raised money.
(c) Questioned the election results.
(d) Had a child.
5. What did John arrange for Kathy, even though it saddened him?
(a) An abortion.
(b) An adoption.
(c) A job in politics.
(d) A job away from him.
6. Who is Arthur Lux?
(a) John's campaign manager.
(b) An FBI investigator
(c) A gas station owner.
(d) Lake of the Woods sheriff.
7. What does John wonder about after Kathy has gone missing?
(a) What Kathy thought of him.
(b) Whether Kathy had been having an affair.
(c) What would have happened if they'd made love.
(d) Where he could go to escape suspicion for her disappearance.
8. What does Arthur Lux say about Kathy?
(a) That she is probably dead.
(b) That she will turn up one day.
(c) That she is probably fine.
(d) That he did everything he could to find her.
9. What happened to John when he was 14?
(a) His father was sent to Vietnam.
(b) His father died.
(c) His parents divorced.
(d) His mother took him out of school.
10. How do John and Kathy deal with the fact that their dreams are impossible for the moment?
(a) They lament it again and again.
(b) They don't talk about it.
(c) They are careful about bringing up the topic gently.
(d) They are brutal with each other, trading accusations and insults.
11. What did John's campaign manager call John's opponent's tactics?
(a) Ambush politics.
(b) Take no prisoners politics.
(c) Bare-knuckle politics.
(d) Personal politics.
12. What was John's relationship with his father like?
13. What does Kathy say in the letter John gets in Chapter 13, "The Nature of the Beast"?
(a) That she met someone else.
(b) That she wants to get married.
(c) That she needs freedom from him.
(d) That she is waiting for him.
14. Why is John feeling humiliated?
(a) He was arrested for money laundering.
(b) He lost by a landslide.
(c) He was caught in an affair.
(d) He was exposed as a phony.
15. How does John describe his memory of the night of the boiling water?
(a) Crystal clear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claude Rasmussen recommend John do in Chapter 15, "What the Questions Were"?
2. Who does John call after talking with Claude Rasmussen?
3. What does the narrator say motivated John to join the military?
4. What does the author interject about Kathy's disappearance?
5. What is the result of O'Brien titling more than one chapter "Hypothesis"?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)