|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 through 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John's hypothesis in Chapter 9 "Hypothesis"?
(a) That someone killed Kathy.
(b) That Kathy went to get help for him and was injured along the way.
(c) That Kathy just walked away from the cabin.
(d) That he killed Kathy.
2. How does John describe his memory of the night of the boiling water?
(c) Crystal clear.
3. What imagery does O'Brien use to convey the scene of John's anger and Kathy's reaction to it?
(a) The comparison of John's pain to electric eels.
(b) The sound of water splashing.
(c) The sound of screaming.
(d) The scent of wet wool.
4. What does Arthur Lux say about Kathy?
(a) That she is probably fine.
(b) That she will turn up one day.
(c) That she is probably dead.
(d) That he did everything he could to find her.
5. How did John cope with the event that took place when he was 14?
(a) He befriended the neighborhood housewives.
(b) He moved back and forth between his parents.
(c) He pretended his father was still alive.
(d) He studied the Vietnam War in school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John tell Kathy about in his letters from Vietnam?
2. When do we discover that Kathy is missing?
3. What does John wonder about after Kathy has gone missing?
4. What shape does John's awareness of his action take?
5. Why is it impossible for John and Kathy to do the things they dream about doing?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)