|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Miss Venable call to come and help her with Gail's problem?
2. What does Gail ask when Miss Venable asks them if they have appointments?
3. What does Gail remember about the doctor she sees from Planned Parenthood?
4. Madam Malevich confesses to being a ___________ after Gail's mother leaves the room.
5. What does Steve's father do for a living, according to Gail's description?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gail decide to do as she is afraid the phone is going to ring while she is babysitting?
2. Why is Gail's father always at home in the days after her attack and subsequent hospitalization?
3. Why has Gail's mother written to Aunt Viola, the wealthy aunt of Mrs. Obsurne?
4. What does Gail hear when she wakes up in the hospital after her attack?
5. What does Phil say that makes Gail realize that he was the one on the phone the entire time?
6. What happened when Gail first decided to go to a counselor to talk about her problem?
7. What is Gail's response to Phil's first question to her at the door?
8. What does the doctor give to Gail in order to help calm her down as he performs a pelvic exam?
9. Why doesn't Gail think that she needs any cultures after her attack?
10. Why can't Steve talk to Gail when she needs to talk to him in order to settle her nerves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alison and Gail's relationship is strained as a result of the rape.
Part 1: Why do you think Alison and Gail's relationship has changed after the rape?
Part 2: Do you think Alison knew that Phil was the rapist and the stalker? Why or why not?
Part 3: What would you do if your friend was dating your rapist? Could you be friends with that person anymore?
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of young love in this story seems to create an idyllic scene for the start of the story.
Part 1: Why do you think teenage love is often the focus of books and stories?
Part 2: Why do you think teenage love and adult love are different? Or aren't they? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the story might be different if the main characters were adults instead of teens?
Essay Topic 3
The stalking that takes place in this story is frightening, no matter how a reader might feel about Gail or about Phil.
Part 1: Why do you think the scary note that Gail received was so effective in frightening her?
Part 2: Why do you think the perpetrator decided to stalk her first?
Part 3: Do you think stalking is ever sometimes misinterpreted? Why or why not?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)