|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the English wool scarf that Gail wears as she is walking to school?
2. What color is the necklace that Gail is lovingly fingering during this chapter?
3. Gail admits that maybe Steve has too much __________ and she doesn't have enough.
4. Mrs. Montgomery has a sign on her fridge which says, "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the _______."
5. Who is Gail swimming with when the scene is described in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the phone first rings when Gail is babysitting at Mrs. Montgomery's house?
2. What does Gail find out about her father when she arrives at his office in the city?
3. What does Gail's mother do just moments before Gail's father walks in the door after work?
4. What is Gail trying to do as the chapter begins and she is babysitting at Mrs. Montgomery's house?
5. When Gail goes down to the bottom of the stairs to wait for Steve, what does this say about his relationship with her family?
6. What happens when Steve and Gail get to the Lawver residence for the dinner party?
7. What did Gail's mother ask her when she arrived back home and went into Gail's bedroom?
8. Why was the couple still able to go swimming in Powdermill Lake at the start of the story?
9. What do Alison and Gail do after school lets out for the day?
10. Why was Phil instructed to invite over another couple for a small dinner party at the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gail's mother has a strong reaction to Gail's statement that she would have an abortion if she was pregnant from the rape.
Part 1: Why do you think Gail is so set about the idea of getting an abortion if she becomes pregnant?
Part 2: Why do you think Gail's mother is against the idea of abortion in this case?
Part 3: Do you think a women who is raped and becomes pregnant should keep the baby? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gail is told that she might be painted as being 'immoral' in the case, which will weaken her defense.
Part 1: Why do you think Gail's morality might be called into question?
Part 2: Do you think that women who are immoral are more likely to be raped? Why or why not?
Part 3: Is it ever the rape victim's fault that they were raped? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gail did not think the love poem was meant for her when she received it as it was her friend that always seemed to get the attention of boys.
Part 1: Why do you think Gail doesn't believe she is someone who the boys might like?
Part 2: How would you react if you received a love poem in your locker or in an email? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think Steve decided to send a note instead of just taking to Gail? Why?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)