|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the badge of a townie family, according to Gail and her observation of Steve's family?
2. Gail recognizes her father by the tie he's wearing that has a ___________ on it.
3. Who did Gail believe the note belonged to, as she didn't think anyone would have liked her?
4. Gail points out that at Exeter Academy, squash is nearly a _________ to the school.
5. What kind of dinner napkins are on the Lawvers' table for the meal they are all sharing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gail decide to do the next day instead of going to school?
2. After her teacher reads a poem out loud, what does Gail say out loud, even though she thought it was just in her mind?
3. Why is Gail suddenly left home alone during this chapter, and she is a wreck because of it?
4. When Gail is crying at home, what does she lead her mother to believe she is crying about?
5. What does Gail find out about her father when she arrives at his office in the city?
6. What happens when Steve and Gail get to the Lawver residence for the dinner party?
7. What does Gail do in response to the cooler weather at the opening of this particular chapter?
8. Who decided to go for a swim in Powdermill Lake at the start of the story?
9. When Gail goes down to the bottom of the stairs to wait for Steve, what does this say about his relationship with her family?
10. Why was Gail feeling worried as she swam out in the water with Steve at the start of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gail continues to be given Valium in order to keep her sedated after her attack.
Part 1: Why do you think Gail is given so many sedatives after her attack?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to keep a victim sedated after their attack? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Gail might have reacted after the attack if she hadn't been sedated? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The stalking that takes place in this story is frightening, no matter how a reader might feel about Gail or about Phil.
Part 1: Why do you think the scary note that Gail received was so effective in frightening her?
Part 2: Why do you think the perpetrator decided to stalk her first?
Part 3: Do you think stalking is ever sometimes misinterpreted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gail starts to become paranoid about being at her babysitting job, thinking that every sound is something bad.
Part 1: Why do you think Gail continues to go places by herself even though she is scared?
Part 2: How do you think you would have made yourself feel safer being by yourself?
Part 3: How does being paranoid make things worse for a person? Or does it help the person with their fear?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)