Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
2. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze three possible theories about why the whale might have attacked the Essex. Use the book to reference the sources of these theories and the reasons behind them. Also, explain which one you think is the most logical and why.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss three setbacks that the crew of the Essex face while attempting to sail towards South America after the ship sinks. Include an analysis of the effects that the setbacks have on the crew's plan, how the crew chooses to approach them, and the actions that they take as a result.
Essay Topic 3
In the Preface, a general background of whaling is provided by Philbrick.
1) Describe the purpose of the Preface and the literary reasons for the information it includes.
2) Explain why sailors from Nantucket hunted whales and how the whales are typically killed.
3) Analyze the sperm whales as they are presented in the Preface along with why they are specifically targeted by whalers.
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)