|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
2. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a major part of the first half of the book. Provide an analysis of three examples of foreshadowing, when they occur, and the events that they are signaling.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail how Pollard's and Chase's boats are rescued in different areas and the varying routes that the crew members take back to Nantucket. Also, include a description of how the three men are rescued on Henderson Island, the difficulties with the rescue, and the unknown status of the third whale boat from the Essex.
Essay Topic 3
Herman Melville is inspired by the Essex to write one of the most well known books in literature.
1) Explain how Melville first learns of the Essex's voyage.
2) Describe Melville's experiences in whaling and how they contribute to his book.
3) Analyze the connection of the Essex to Moby Dick along with the similarities and differences in the two epic stories.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)