Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
2. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
Essay Topic 1
Henderson Island is a key point in the crew's effort to make it to South America.
1) Explain what leads the crew to Henderson Island and why they are confused about the island's identity.
2) Describe the crew's time on the island and the important things that they discover there.
3) Analyze the decision made by three crew members to remain of the island in comparison to the decision made by the majority of the crew to leave.
Essay Topic 2
Nature is a main element of the book and the Essex's voyage. Explain three examples of the effects that nature has on the story and the trip. Include an analysis of how the crew responds to nature and how their responses also have an effect on the book's themes.
Essay Topic 3
Chronicle the island town of Nantucket from the nineteenth century to the time that the book was written. Provide an explanation of what the town was like when the Essex set sail and the effects that whaling had on the community. Then, describe how and why Nantucket has changed throughout the years and its present state.
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)