|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
2. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
3. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
4. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
5. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
Essay Topic 1
Henderson Island is a key point in the crew's effort to make it to South America.
1) Explain what leads the crew to Henderson Island and why they are confused about the island's identity.
2) Describe the crew's time on the island and the important things that they discover there.
3) Analyze the decision made by three crew members to remain of the island in comparison to the decision made by the majority of the crew to leave.
Essay Topic 2
In the Preface, a general background of whaling is provided by Philbrick.
1) Describe the purpose of the Preface and the literary reasons for the information it includes.
2) Explain why sailors from Nantucket hunted whales and how the whales are typically killed.
3) Analyze the sperm whales as they are presented in the Preface along with why they are specifically targeted by whalers.
Essay Topic 3
Philbrick chooses to begin the story with the Dauphin's rescue of Pollard's boat. Use the book as a reference to discuss the reasons why he selects this particular event as the starting point. Also, include a description of the rescue and an analysis of the other facts about the upcoming tragedy that Philbrick discloses in the Preface.
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)