Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
2. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
Essay Topic 1
Captain Pollard's decision making abilities is the subject of Philbrick's criticism in the book.
1) Describe in detail three decisions that Pollard makes during the Essex's whaling trip as well as after it sinks and how those decisions are influenced.
2) Explain the role that Pollard's decisions have in the outcome of the trip and the survival of the crew.
3) Analyze Philbrick's position on Pollard's ability to make decisions and overrule his crew.
4) Compare the way Pollard handles a complaint from the crew with the other situations he must deal with.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the way that Philbrick conveys the desperation of the men as they get farther away from the sunken ship. Provide multiple examples of how he uses literature in order to emphasize the severity of their situation and their inclination to surrender. Also, analyze the way that Philbrick simultaneously engages the reader along the way with signs of hope and optimism.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail how Pollard's and Chase's boats are rescued in different areas and the varying routes that the crew members take back to Nantucket. Also, include a description of how the three men are rescued on Henderson Island, the difficulties with the rescue, and the unknown status of the third whale boat from the Essex.
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)