|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson arrive in Nantucket?
2. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
3. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
4. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
5. What time of the day do the men observe the latitude of their trip in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail how Pollard's and Chase's boats are rescued in different areas and the varying routes that the crew members take back to Nantucket. Also, include a description of how the three men are rescued on Henderson Island, the difficulties with the rescue, and the unknown status of the third whale boat from the Essex.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the first two encounters with a whale that the crew of the Essex has, including a detailed description of the Nantucket sleigh ride. Also, provide an explanation of why this is a significant point in the story and what it indicates for the different members of the crew.
Essay Topic 3
After the crew kills its first whale, Philbrick takes the reader step by step through the process of "trying out" a whale.
1) Explain the procedure for gutting a whale, retrieving oil, and which parts are used.
2) Describe how oil and other products are made from the insides of a whale.
3) Analyze the techniques that Philbrick uses in describing the process and the reasons for them.
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)