Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
2. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the first two encounters with a whale that the crew of the Essex has, including a detailed description of the Nantucket sleigh ride. Also, provide an explanation of why this is a significant point in the story and what it indicates for the different members of the crew.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the lives of Pollard and Chase, their experiences before and after sailing on the Essex, their leadership styles, and how they are remembered.
Essay Topic 3
Upon their return to Nantucket, Pollard, Chase, and Nickerson decide to give their accounts of the tragedy.
1) Analyze all three accounts, including the similarities and differences between them.
2) Compare the facts of the trip that Philbrick provides in the book with Chase's version.
3) Describe Pollard's response to the existing stories and how his version is received.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)