Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
2. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
Describe the way that Philbrick conveys the desperation of the men as they get farther away from the sunken ship. Provide multiple examples of how he uses literature in order to emphasize the severity of their situation and their inclination to surrender. Also, analyze the way that Philbrick simultaneously engages the reader along the way with signs of hope and optimism.
Chronicle the island town of Nantucket from the nineteenth century to the time that the book was written. Provide an explanation of what the town was like when the Essex set sail and the effects that whaling had on the community. Then, describe how and why Nantucket has changed throughout the years and its present state.
Before the Essex leaves Nantucket, a detailed account of its age, history, and condition is provided.
1) Explain the modifications and repairs that are done to the Essex before it leaves.
2) Describe the history of the ship, including its background, condition, and why it is considered to be lucky.
3) Analyze the connections between the condition of the Essex and its sinking.
4) Analyze Philbrick's style of writing in delivering the information about the Essex.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)