|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pollard avert potential disaster after crashing into the French Frigate Shoals?
2. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
3. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
4. How many days after leaving the sunken Essex is Chase's boat rescued by the Indian?
5. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon their return to Nantucket, Pollard, Chase, and Nickerson decide to give their accounts of the tragedy.
1) Analyze all three accounts, including the similarities and differences between them.
2) Compare the facts of the trip that Philbrick provides in the book with Chase's version.
3) Describe Pollard's response to the existing stories and how his version is received.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a major part of the first half of the book. Provide an analysis of three examples of foreshadowing, when they occur, and the events that they are signaling.
Essay Topic 3
The whale's attack on the Essex is the turning point of the story and the ship's voyage.
1) Describe the behavior and actions of the whale when it is first sighted along with why they are considered strange.
2) Explain how the whale attacks the ship and the response of the crew members during the attack.
3) Discuss why Philbrick states in the Preface that the whale's attack on the Essex is only the beginning of the story.
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)