|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
2. What has Pollard's Nantucket house become in modern times?
3. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
4. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
5. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
Essay Topic 1
Philbrick depicts the irony of the crew's situation when they resort to what they were initially trying to avoid.
1) Explain the events that cause the crew to resort to cannibalism.
2) Describe the way murder is considered in Pollard's boat and the results of the lots that are drawn.
3) Analyze the irony of the crew's options and their reasons for sailing towards South America.
Essay Topic 2
Philbrick chooses to begin the story with the Dauphin's rescue of Pollard's boat. Use the book as a reference to discuss the reasons why he selects this particular event as the starting point. Also, include a description of the rescue and an analysis of the other facts about the upcoming tragedy that Philbrick discloses in the Preface.
Essay Topic 3
Nature is a main element of the book and the Essex's voyage. Explain three examples of the effects that nature has on the story and the trip. Include an analysis of how the crew responds to nature and how their responses also have an effect on the book's themes.
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)