|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
2. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
3. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
4. How much oil does Chase return with in 1836 on the Charles Carroll?
5. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature is a main element of the book and the Essex's voyage. Explain three examples of the effects that nature has on the story and the trip. Include an analysis of how the crew responds to nature and how their responses also have an effect on the book's themes.
Essay Topic 2
Herman Melville is inspired by the Essex to write one of the most well known books in literature.
1) Explain how Melville first learns of the Essex's voyage.
2) Describe Melville's experiences in whaling and how they contribute to his book.
3) Analyze the connection of the Essex to Moby Dick along with the similarities and differences in the two epic stories.
Essay Topic 3
Upon their return to Nantucket, Pollard, Chase, and Nickerson decide to give their accounts of the tragedy.
1) Analyze all three accounts, including the similarities and differences between them.
2) Compare the facts of the trip that Philbrick provides in the book with Chase's version.
3) Describe Pollard's response to the existing stories and how his version is received.
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)