|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
2. When does Cole die?
3. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
4. How much oil does Chase return with in 1836 on the Charles Carroll?
5. Contrary to what the men think, what island are they actually on in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to the rescue of Chase's boat?
2. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
3. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
4. Why do the men resort to cannibalism in Chapter 11, and what is the irony of their situation?
5. What difficulties is Chase's boat having in Chapter 11?
6. What idea does Pollard have for sailing out of the calm winds in Chapter 8?
7. How do the men confuse the name of the island they have found in Chapter 9?
8. What request does Joy have before dying in Chapter 10?
9. What happens at the end of Chapter 11 when lots are drawn in Pollard's boat?
10. What discovery do the men in Chase's boat make while trying to combat the heat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henderson Island is a key point in the crew's effort to make it to South America.
1) Explain what leads the crew to Henderson Island and why they are confused about the island's identity.
2) Describe the crew's time on the island and the important things that they discover there.
3) Analyze the decision made by three crew members to remain of the island in comparison to the decision made by the majority of the crew to leave.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail how Pollard's and Chase's boats are rescued in different areas and the varying routes that the crew members take back to Nantucket. Also, include a description of how the three men are rescued on Henderson Island, the difficulties with the rescue, and the unknown status of the third whale boat from the Essex.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lives of Pollard and Chase, their experiences before and after sailing on the Essex, their leadership styles, and how they are remembered.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)