Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
2. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
3. How are sailors paid?
4. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
5. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chase choose the events to include in a book about the Essex?
2. How does the crew of the Essex decide to sail towards South America instead of the Society Islands?
3. What is Chase's initial opinion about staying on the island in Chapter 9?
4. How is the Essex attacked by the whale and what happens to the ship as a result?
5. What happens when the Essex meets the Aurora?
6. How does the crew initially respond to the sinking of the Essex?
7. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
8. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
9. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
10. How is the Essex described in Chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
The Whaling Museum features an exhibit for the Essex. Discuss how the sinking of the Essex is initially regarded by the town, the reasons why, and the way that the ship is now remembered. In addition, provide an analysis of how the sperm whales have changed as a result of the whaling that took place during the nineteenth century.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail how Pollard's and Chase's boats are rescued in different areas and the varying routes that the crew members take back to Nantucket. Also, include a description of how the three men are rescued on Henderson Island, the difficulties with the rescue, and the unknown status of the third whale boat from the Essex.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze three possible theories about why the whale might have attacked the Essex. Use the book to reference the sources of these theories and the reasons behind them. Also, explain which one you think is the most logical and why.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)