|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it difficult for the Surry to land on Henderson Island during the rescue of the men?
(a) The rain is too heavy.
(b) The coral is too dangerous.
(c) The wind is too strong.
(d) The boat is too damaged.
2. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Neither birds nor crabs.
(b) Only crabs.
(c) Birds and crabs.
(d) Only birds.
3. At what Peruvian Port does Pollard meet Charles Wilkes?
4. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
(a) Two dollars and fifty cents.
(b) One dollar and fifty cents.
(c) Two dollars.
(d) One dollar.
5. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) February 2.
(b) January 28.
(c) January 29.
(d) February 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
2. What happens to Chase before he dies?
3. What has the boarding house that Nickerson owned become in modern times?
4. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
5. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
2. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
3. How does Pollard's boat become separated from Hendricks' boat?
4. What request does Joy have before dying in Chapter 10?
5. How are Wright, Weeks, and Chappel rescued from Henderson Island?
6. What is Chase's initial opinion about staying on the island in Chapter 9?
7. What discovery do the men in Chase's boat make while trying to combat the heat?
8. How does Chase's boat deal with a shark attack?
9. What leads to the rescue of Chase's boat?
10. How is Pollard's boat rescued?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)