|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
(a) There is a doctor on the captain's boat.
(b) The captain's boat has more food.
(c) To die next to the captain.
(d) To die among Nantucketers.
2. At what Peruvian Port does Pollard meet Charles Wilkes?
3. On January 26, how many men are in Chase's boat?
4. On what day does Pollard reach St. Mary's Island?
(a) February 21.
(b) February 20.
(c) February 23.
(d) February 22.
5. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
2. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
3. When does Cole die?
4. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
5. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Wright, Weeks, and Chappel rescued from Henderson Island?
2. How does Chase choose the events to include in a book about the Essex?
3. What is the crew concerned about as it sees land in the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What is the difference in the way Pollard and Chase are received when they return to Nantucket?
5. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
6. Why do the men resort to cannibalism in Chapter 11, and what is the irony of their situation?
7. What difficulties is Chase's boat having in Chapter 11?
8. How do the men confuse the name of the island they have found in Chapter 9?
9. Why does the crew decide to leave Henderson Island? Who chooses to stay?
10. What does Chase put in each boat before leaving Henderson Island and why?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)