|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
(d) Ann Alexander.
2. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
(a) Juan Fernandez.
(c) Easter Island.
(d) Tierra del Fuego.
3. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
(b) Drink more water.
(c) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(d) Build miniature fans in the boat.
4. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) At least four hundred.
(b) Less than one hundred.
(c) Less than two hundred.
(d) At least three hundred.
5. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A shark and a whale.
(b) A shark and porpoises.
(c) Porpoises and a whale.
(d) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much oil does Chase return with in 1836 on the Charles Carroll?
2. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
3. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
4. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
5. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chase prevent the crew from stealing food in Chapter 8?
2. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
3. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
4. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
5. How do the men confuse the name of the island they have found in Chapter 9?
6. Why do the men resort to cannibalism in Chapter 11, and what is the irony of their situation?
7. How does Lawrence repair the leak in Chase's boat?
8. How does Chase choose the events to include in a book about the Essex?
9. What difficulties is Chase's boat having in Chapter 11?
10. How does Chase's boat deal with a shark attack?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)