|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Pollard's Nantucket house become in modern times?
(a) A parking lot.
(b) A gift shop.
(c) A library.
(d) A museum.
2. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
3. Which ship's captain makes arrangements to rescue the remaining Essex members on Henderson Island?
(c) Two Brothers.
4. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
(a) Four hundred.
(b) Three hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
5. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
(a) One dollar.
(b) One dollar and fifty cents.
(c) Two dollars.
(d) Two dollars and fifty cents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
2. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
3. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
4. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
5. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cole die in Chapter 12?
2. How is Pollard's boat rescued?
3. How does Pollard's whaling career end, and how is he remembered?
4. What idea does Pollard have for sailing out of the calm winds in Chapter 8?
5. How are Wright, Weeks, and Chappel rescued from Henderson Island?
6. How does Chase's boat deal with a shark attack?
7. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
8. What leads to the rescue of Chase's boat?
9. How does Pollard's boat become separated from Hendricks' boat?
10. Who attends the dinner on the night Pollard is rescued, and what does Pollard discuss with Aaron Paddack later that night?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)