|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
(b) Porpoises and a whale.
(c) A shark and a whale.
(d) A shark and porpoises.
2. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He refuses to listen to it.
(b) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(c) He thinks that it is a good idea.
(d) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
3. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 17.
(b) December 19.
(c) December 16.
(d) December 18.
4. Contrary to what the men think, what island are they actually on in Chapter 9?
(a) Pitcairn Island.
(b) Ducie Island.
(c) Henderson Island.
(d) Oeno Island.
5. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
2. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
3. When do Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson arrive in Nantucket?
4. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
5. What museum acquires the skeleton of the whale found in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in the way Pollard and Chase are received when they return to Nantucket?
2. How is Pollard's boat rescued?
3. Why does the crew decide to leave Henderson Island? Who chooses to stay?
4. What request does Joy have before dying in Chapter 10?
5. What difficulties is Chase's boat having in Chapter 11?
6. How are Wright, Weeks, and Chappel rescued from Henderson Island?
7. How does Pollard's boat become separated from Hendricks' boat?
8. How does Chase prevent the crew from stealing food in Chapter 8?
9. What happens at the end of Chapter 11 when lots are drawn in Pollard's boat?
10. How do the boats get separated in Chapter 10?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)