|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) A flat stone and leaves.
(b) Firewood and leaves.
(c) A flat stone, firewood, and leaves.
(d) A flat stone and firewood.
2. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
(a) Juan Fernandez.
(b) Tierra del Fuego.
(d) Easter Island.
3. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
(a) Very little.
(b) A moderate amount.
(d) A substantial amount.
4. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
5. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
2. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
3. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
4. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
5. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
2. How do the men confuse the name of the island they have found in Chapter 9?
3. What is the difference in the way Pollard and Chase are received when they return to Nantucket?
4. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
5. How do the boats get separated in Chapter 10?
6. How does Chase prevent the crew from stealing food in Chapter 8?
7. How is Pollard's boat rescued?
8. Why do the men resort to cannibalism in Chapter 11, and what is the irony of their situation?
9. How does Pollard's whaling career end, and how is he remembered?
10. What is the crew concerned about as it sees land in the beginning of Chapter 9?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)