|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
(a) To settle on the island for a few weeks.
(b) To settle on the island permanently.
(c) To settle on the island for a few days.
(d) To leave immediately.
2. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
3. What museum acquires the skeleton of the whale found in the Epilogue?
(a) The Nantucket Whaling Museum.
(b) The Cape Cod Maritime Museum.
(c) The Kendall Whaling Museum.
(d) The New Bedford Whaling Museum.
4. What island do the men initially think they have found in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Oeno Island.
(b) Ducie Island.
(c) Pitcairn Island.
(d) Henderson Island.
5. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
(a) Los Rios.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult for the men to row in Chapter 8?
2. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
3. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
4. What has the boarding house that Nickerson owned become in modern times?
5. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
2. How does Pollard's boat become separated from Hendricks' boat?
3. What difficulties is Chase's boat having in Chapter 11?
4. Who attends the dinner on the night Pollard is rescued, and what does Pollard discuss with Aaron Paddack later that night?
5. How does Chase's boat deal with a shark attack?
6. What discovery do the men in Chase's boat make while trying to combat the heat?
7. What happens to Hendricks' boat?
8. How does Cole die in Chapter 12?
9. Why does the crew decide to leave Henderson Island? Who chooses to stay?
10. What is the difference in the way Pollard and Chase are received when they return to Nantucket?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)