|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Chase before he dies?
(a) He reconnects with Pollard.
(b) He cannot remember the Essex.
(c) He moves from Nantucket.
(d) He is declared insane.
2. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
(a) Ann Alexander.
3. On what day does Pollard reach St. Mary's Island?
(a) February 20.
(b) February 22.
(c) February 21.
(d) February 23.
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
(a) Latitude, a log line, and a compass.
(b) Only latitude and a log line.
(c) Only latitude and a compass.
(d) Only a log line and a compass.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson arrive in Nantucket?
2. When does Cole die?
3. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
4. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
5. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chase put in each boat before leaving Henderson Island and why?
2. What difficulties is Chase's boat having in Chapter 11?
3. What request does Joy have before dying in Chapter 10?
4. What is Chase's initial opinion about staying on the island in Chapter 9?
5. What is the difference in the way Pollard and Chase are received when they return to Nantucket?
6. How does Pollard's boat become separated from Hendricks' boat?
7. How do the boats get separated in Chapter 10?
8. How does Lawrence repair the leak in Chase's boat?
9. Why does the crew decide to leave Henderson Island? Who chooses to stay?
10. How does Cole die in Chapter 12?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)