|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the arrival of Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson in Nantucket unexpected in Chapter 13?
(a) They are scheduled to arrive one month later.
(b) The people there are not aware of their rescue.
(c) A rumor had been told that they refused to return home.
(d) They are scheduled to arrive on a different ship.
2. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
(a) Two days.
(b) One day.
(c) Three days.
(d) Four days.
3. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
(a) He threatens to decrease the portions for anyone that has too much.
(b) He puts an arm or leg across them as he sleeps.
(c) He sleeps with a loaded pistol.
(d) He transfers them to his chest.
4. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
(a) One dollar.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) One dollar and fifty cents.
(d) Two dollars and fifty cents.
5. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
(a) It might be inhabited.
(b) It might not have food.
(c) It might not have water.
(d) It might be deserted.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
2. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
3. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
4. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
5. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chase put in each boat before leaving Henderson Island and why?
2. What difficulties is Chase's boat having in Chapter 11?
3. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
4. How do the men confuse the name of the island they have found in Chapter 9?
5. What is the crew concerned about as it sees land in the beginning of Chapter 9?
6. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
7. How does Chase's boat deal with a shark attack?
8. What happens to Hendricks' boat?
9. What request does Joy have before dying in Chapter 10?
10. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)