|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days has it been since Pollard and Hendricks have lost sight of Chase's boat in the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In the forest.
(c) On rocks.
(d) In their boats.
3. Why is the arrival of Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson in Nantucket unexpected in Chapter 13?
(a) A rumor had been told that they refused to return home.
(b) They are scheduled to arrive on a different ship.
(c) They are scheduled to arrive one month later.
(d) The people there are not aware of their rescue.
4. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Firewood and leaves.
(b) A flat stone, firewood, and leaves.
(c) A flat stone and firewood.
(d) A flat stone and leaves.
5. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
(b) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
(c) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(d) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Chase before he dies?
2. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
3. Contrary to what the men think, what island are they actually on in Chapter 9?
4. Why is it difficult for the Surry to land on Henderson Island during the rescue of the men?
5. How many days after leaving the sunken Essex is Chase's boat rescued by the Indian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Wright, Weeks, and Chappel rescued from Henderson Island?
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 11 when lots are drawn in Pollard's boat?
3. What happens to Hendricks' boat?
4. What is the crew concerned about as it sees land in the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. How does Pollard's whaling career end, and how is he remembered?
6. How does Pollard's boat become separated from Hendricks' boat?
7. What does Chase put in each boat before leaving Henderson Island and why?
8. Why do the men resort to cannibalism in Chapter 11, and what is the irony of their situation?
9. How does Chase choose the events to include in a book about the Essex?
10. What idea does Pollard have for sailing out of the calm winds in Chapter 8?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)