|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much oil does Chase return with in 1836 on the Charles Carroll?
(a) Three thousand six hundred and ten gallons.
(b) Three thousand six hundred and ten barrels.
(c) Two thousand six hundred and ten gallons.
(d) Two thousand six hundred and ten barrels.
2. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Neither birds nor crabs.
(b) Only birds.
(c) Only crabs.
(d) Birds and crabs.
3. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A shark and a whale.
(b) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
(c) Porpoises and a whale.
(d) A shark and porpoises.
4. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(b) Drink more water.
(c) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
(d) Build miniature fans in the boat.
5. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
(b) New Bedford.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
2. What do the men begin losing on their first morning on the island?
3. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
4. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
5. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the boats get separated in Chapter 10?
2. What is Chase's initial opinion about staying on the island in Chapter 9?
3. What does Chase put in each boat before leaving Henderson Island and why?
4. What difficulties is Chase's boat having in Chapter 11?
5. How does Chase's boat deal with a shark attack?
6. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
7. How does Chase prevent the crew from stealing food in Chapter 8?
8. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
9. How does Pollard's boat become separated from Hendricks' boat?
10. What idea does Pollard have for sailing out of the calm winds in Chapter 8?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)