|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
2. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
(a) More than fifteen hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Fifteen hundred.
(d) One thousand.
3. How many days after leaving the sunken Essex is Chase's boat rescued by the Indian?
(a) Eighty- nine.
(b) Ninety- nine.
(c) One hundred and nine.
(d) One hundred and nineteen.
4. What has Pollard's Nantucket house become in modern times?
(a) A gift shop.
(b) A museum.
(c) A parking lot.
(d) A library.
5. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the late afternoon.
(b) In the morning.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) At night.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
2. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
3. What island do the men initially think they have found in the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
5. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in the way Pollard and Chase are received when they return to Nantucket?
2. What is Chase's initial opinion about staying on the island in Chapter 9?
3. How do the men confuse the name of the island they have found in Chapter 9?
4. How does Lawrence repair the leak in Chase's boat?
5. What idea does Pollard have for sailing out of the calm winds in Chapter 8?
6. How do the boats get separated in Chapter 10?
7. How does Pollard's boat become separated from Hendricks' boat?
8. What discovery do the men in Chase's boat make while trying to combat the heat?
9. What difficulties is Chase's boat having in Chapter 11?
10. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)