|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Pollard's Nantucket house become in modern times?
(a) A parking lot.
(b) A library.
(c) A museum.
(d) A gift shop.
2. When does Cole die?
(a) February 10.
(b) February 7.
(c) February 8.
(d) February 9.
3. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
(a) More than fifteen hundred.
(b) Fifteen hundred.
(c) One thousand.
(d) Five hundred.
4. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
(b) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(c) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
(d) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
5. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Porpoises and a whale.
(b) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
(c) A shark and a whale.
(d) A shark and porpoises.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
3. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
4. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
5. What happens to Chase before he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chase prevent the crew from stealing food in Chapter 8?
2. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
3. How does Pollard's boat become separated from Hendricks' boat?
4. What leads to the rescue of Chase's boat?
5. How are Wright, Weeks, and Chappel rescued from Henderson Island?
6. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
7. What is Chase's initial opinion about staying on the island in Chapter 9?
8. Why do the men resort to cannibalism in Chapter 11, and what is the irony of their situation?
9. What happens at the end of Chapter 11 when lots are drawn in Pollard's boat?
10. How is Pollard's boat rescued?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)