|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
(a) Small and round.
(b) Large and round.
(c) Large and flat.
(d) Small and flat.
2. What do the men on Henderson Island think the gunshot is when it is fired in Chapter 13?
(a) A falling rock.
(b) An attack.
(d) A falling tree.
3. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Two weeks.
4. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(b) Build miniature fans in the boat.
(c) Drink more water.
(d) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
5. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
(a) He transfers them to his chest.
(b) He sleeps with a loaded pistol.
(c) He threatens to decrease the portions for anyone that has too much.
(d) He puts an arm or leg across them as he sleeps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
2. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
3. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
4. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
5. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the boats get separated in Chapter 10?
2. How does Pollard's boat become separated from Hendricks' boat?
3. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
4. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
5. How does Lawrence repair the leak in Chase's boat?
6. How does Cole die in Chapter 12?
7. What is the difference in the way Pollard and Chase are received when they return to Nantucket?
8. How is Pollard's boat rescued?
9. Why do the men resort to cannibalism in Chapter 11, and what is the irony of their situation?
10. Why does the crew decide to leave Henderson Island? Who chooses to stay?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)