|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
2. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
(a) They call out.
(b) They return to the last place they saw Pollard.
(c) They shoot flares.
(d) They retrace the route that Pollard was on.
3. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
(a) Less than a year.
(b) Almost exactly a year.
(c) Less than six months.
(d) Almost exactly two years.
4. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
(a) Juan Fernandez.
(b) Tierra del Fuego.
(c) Easter Island.
5. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
(a) Eight p.m.
(b) Seven p.m.
(c) Eight a.m.
(d) Seven a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
2. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
3. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
4. When do Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson arrive in Nantucket?
5. What do the men begin losing on their first morning on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
2. How do the men confuse the name of the island they have found in Chapter 9?
3. What difficulties is Chase's boat having in Chapter 11?
4. How are Wright, Weeks, and Chappel rescued from Henderson Island?
5. What does Chase put in each boat before leaving Henderson Island and why?
6. What is the crew concerned about as it sees land in the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. What request does Joy have before dying in Chapter 10?
8. Why does the crew decide to leave Henderson Island? Who chooses to stay?
9. What idea does Pollard have for sailing out of the calm winds in Chapter 8?
10. What is Chase's initial opinion about staying on the island in Chapter 9?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)