|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
(b) Two Brothers.
2. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
3. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In their boats.
(c) In the forest.
(d) On rocks.
4. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
5. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Build miniature fans in the boat.
(b) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(c) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
(d) Drink more water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
2. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
3. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
4. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
5. What happens to Chase before he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chase's boat deal with a shark attack?
2. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
3. How is Pollard's boat rescued?
4. How are Wright, Weeks, and Chappel rescued from Henderson Island?
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 11 when lots are drawn in Pollard's boat?
6. Why does the crew decide to leave Henderson Island? Who chooses to stay?
7. Why do the men resort to cannibalism in Chapter 11, and what is the irony of their situation?
8. What happens to Hendricks' boat?
9. What idea does Pollard have for sailing out of the calm winds in Chapter 8?
10. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)