|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day does Pollard reach St. Mary's Island?
(a) February 22.
(b) February 23.
(c) February 20.
(d) February 21.
2. What do the men on Henderson Island think the gunshot is when it is fired in Chapter 13?
(a) A falling tree.
(b) A falling rock.
(d) An attack.
3. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Five miles.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Nine miles.
(d) Three miles.
4. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
(a) He is sewn up in his clothes.
(b) A letter from the men is placed inside his pocket.
(c) He is buried at sea.
(d) A stone is tied to his feet.
5. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
(a) It might be inhabited.
(b) It might not have water.
(c) It might not have food.
(d) It might be deserted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
2. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
3. Why is it difficult for the Surry to land on Henderson Island during the rescue of the men?
4. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
5. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chase put in each boat before leaving Henderson Island and why?
2. How does Cole die in Chapter 12?
3. Why does the crew decide to leave Henderson Island? Who chooses to stay?
4. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
5. How are Wright, Weeks, and Chappel rescued from Henderson Island?
6. How do the boats get separated in Chapter 10?
7. What is the crew concerned about as it sees land in the beginning of Chapter 9?
8. What discovery do the men in Chase's boat make while trying to combat the heat?
9. How does Chase's boat deal with a shark attack?
10. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)