|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is it when Chapter 12 begins?
2. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He does not believe it.
(c) He writes it down.
(d) He only believes some of it.
3. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
4. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
5. At what Peruvian Port does Pollard meet Charles Wilkes?
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
2. On January 26, how many men are in Chase's boat?
3. After realizing they are too far south to reach Easter Island, how far away is the next group of islands?
4. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
5. What do the men begin losing on their first morning on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request does Joy have before dying in Chapter 10?
2. Who attends the dinner on the night Pollard is rescued, and what does Pollard discuss with Aaron Paddack later that night?
3. What discovery do the men in Chase's boat make while trying to combat the heat?
4. How are Wright, Weeks, and Chappel rescued from Henderson Island?
5. How does Chase choose the events to include in a book about the Essex?
6. Why does the crew decide to leave Henderson Island? Who chooses to stay?
7. Why do the men resort to cannibalism in Chapter 11, and what is the irony of their situation?
8. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
9. What happens to Hendricks' boat?
10. What does Chase put in each boat before leaving Henderson Island and why?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)