|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(b) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
(c) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
(d) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
2. How long does Pollard wait before being taken home on the Two Brothers?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Two months.
(d) One month.
3. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
(a) Ten liters.
(b) Twenty liters.
(c) Twenty gallons.
(d) Ten gallons.
4. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
(b) A substantial amount.
(c) A moderate amount.
(d) Very little.
5. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
2. After realizing they are too far south to reach Easter Island, how far away is the next group of islands?
3. What has the boarding house that Nickerson owned become in modern times?
4. When does Pollard avert potential disaster after crashing into the French Frigate Shoals?
5. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to the rescue of Chase's boat?
2. What is the crew concerned about as it sees land in the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
4. Why do the men resort to cannibalism in Chapter 11, and what is the irony of their situation?
5. How do the boats get separated in Chapter 10?
6. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
7. What happens at the end of Chapter 11 when lots are drawn in Pollard's boat?
8. Why does the crew decide to leave Henderson Island? Who chooses to stay?
9. How does Chase choose the events to include in a book about the Essex?
10. What happens to Hendricks' boat?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)