|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
2. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One day.
(b) One hour.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
3. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
4. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
5. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
(a) There are no supplies there.
(b) Many other sailors have disappeared there.
(c) They are infested with insects.
(d) There are rumors that the inhabitants are cannibals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
2. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
3. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
5. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the crew decide not to wait for another whale ship in the Offshore Ground?
2. How does the crew of the Essex deal with the second whale sighted in Chapter 3, and what is a Nantucket sleigh ride?
3. What are some of the facts that Philbrick discloses about the sinking of the Essex in the Preface?
4. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
5. What is done to the Essex in order to prepare it for the trip?
6. What happens when the Essex tries to leave Nantucket?
7. How is a whale killed by sailors?
8. How is the Essex attacked by the whale and what happens to the ship as a result?
9. What modifications are made to the whale boats in the beginning of Chapter 6?
10. What events take place on Hood Island at the end of Chapter 4?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)