|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Almost half.
(b) Over a quarter.
(c) Almost a quarter.
(d) Over half.
2. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
(a) Two thousand miles.
(b) Twelve hundred miles.
(c) One thousand miles.
(d) Twenty- two hundred miles.
3. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) Very few.
(b) An average amount.
4. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One hour.
(b) One month.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(b) Smaller food portions.
(c) More chores on the ship.
(d) Less sleep time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
2. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
3. Whose boat had the least amount of people in it as the crew divides for its trip in Chapter 6?
4. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
5. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events take place on Hood Island at the end of Chapter 4?
2. What is the main concern of the boats during the first few days after the sinking of the Essex?
3. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
4. What well known island is part of the Society Islands and why should the crew have been aware of it?
5. Why does the crew decide not to wait for another whale ship in the Offshore Ground?
6. How is a whale killed by sailors?
7. What happens when the first whale of the trip is sighted?
8. How is Nantucket described in Chapter 1?
9. What are the first difficulties that the Essex experiences at the end of Chapter 2?
10. How is the Essex attacked by the whale and what happens to the ship as a result?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)