|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
(a) Thirty- four miles.
(b) Twenty- four miles.
(c) Forty- three miles.
(d) Forty- two miles.
2. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
3. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Five months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Four months.
4. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Twelve hundred pounds.
(b) Sixty tons.
(c) Six hundred pounds.
(d) Twelve hundred tons.
5. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
2. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
3. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
4. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
5. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the first whale of the trip is sighted?
2. What is used to determine the wages of sailors that participate in whaling trips, and how will Nickerson be paid?
3. What is the main concern of the boats during the first few days after the sinking of the Essex?
4. What events take place on Hood Island at the end of Chapter 4?
5. What are the first difficulties that the Essex experiences at the end of Chapter 2?
6. What happens when the Essex tries to leave Nantucket?
7. How is Nantucket described in Chapter 1?
8. How does the crew of the Essex decide to sail towards South America instead of the Society Islands?
9. As stated in the Preface, when, where, and why are sperm whales hunted?
10. How does the crew initially respond to the sinking of the Essex?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)