|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Nickerson and Joy.
(b) Only Chase.
(c) Chase and Joy.
(d) Only Joy.
2. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket pull through.
(b) Nantucket drag along.
(c) Nantucket speeder.
(d) Nantucket sleigh ride.
3. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
(b) He is told by a messenger.
(c) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(d) He receives a letter.
4. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They are sailing parallel to South America.
(b) They are very close to South America.
(c) They sailed past South America.
(d) They are sailing towards South America.
5. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Thirty- eight years old.
(b) Thirty- four years old.
(c) Twenty- four years old.
(d) Twenty- eight years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
2. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
3. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
4. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
5. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Essex described in Chapter 1?
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 11 when lots are drawn in Pollard's boat?
3. Why does the crew decide not to wait for another whale ship in the Offshore Ground?
4. What is the main concern of the boats during the first few days after the sinking of the Essex?
5. What is the crew concerned about as it sees land in the beginning of Chapter 9?
6. How does the crew of the Essex deal with the second whale sighted in Chapter 3, and what is a Nantucket sleigh ride?
7. How are the three whale boats divided and stocked for the trip at the end of Chapter 6?
8. What is done to the Essex in order to prepare it for the trip?
9. Who attends the dinner on the night Pollard is rescued, and what does Pollard discuss with Aaron Paddack later that night?
10. How has has the town of Nantucket changed since the nineteenth century?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)