|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
2. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) A half pint.
(b) A quarter pint.
(c) Three-quarters of a pint.
(d) A pint.
3. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) One thousand one hundred miles.
(b) Fourteen hundred and eighty miles.
(c) Eight hundred and forty miles.
(d) Two thousand and one hundred miles.
4. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
5. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
2. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
3. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
4. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
5. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the facts that Philbrick discloses about the sinking of the Essex in the Preface?
2. What setbacks are the three boats having as they approach the Society Islands at the end of Chapter 7?
3. How is a whale killed by sailors?
4. What is unusual about the sperm whale that surfaces unexpectedly in Chapter 5?
5. Why does the crew decide not to wait for another whale ship in the Offshore Ground?
6. As explained in Chapter 2, what route does a Nantucket whale ship normally take?
7. What complaint does the crew bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3, and how does he handle it?
8. What is the process for "trying out" a whale?
9. How does Philbrick describe Pollard and his experience in Chapter 2?
10. How does Pollard's boat respond to being attacked by a whale in Chapter 7?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)