|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
2. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) At Buenos Aires.
(b) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
(c) After Buenos Aires.
(d) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
3. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
(a) They build bigger sails for the boats.
(b) They put covers on the tops of the boats.
(c) They put weights on each end of the boats to minimize their movement.
(d) They build up the sides of each boat.
4. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Two thousand and one hundred miles.
(b) One thousand one hundred miles.
(c) Fourteen hundred and eighty miles.
(d) Eight hundred and forty miles.
5. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
(b) It swims away.
(c) It sits on top of the water.
(d) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
2. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
3. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
4. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
5. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What setbacks are the three boats having as they approach the Society Islands at the end of Chapter 7?
2. How is Nantucket described in Chapter 1?
3. As explained in Chapter 2, what route does a Nantucket whale ship normally take?
4. How does the crew initially respond to the sinking of the Essex?
5. What happens when the Essex tries to leave Nantucket?
6. What does the Dauphin find in the Preface?
7. How do two whales escape from Chase's boat in the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. How is the Essex described in Chapter 1?
9. What is used to determine the wages of sailors that participate in whaling trips, and how will Nickerson be paid?
10. What events take place on Hood Island at the end of Chapter 4?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)