|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Almost half.
(b) Over a quarter.
(c) Almost a quarter.
(d) Over half.
2. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
(a) Eight a.m.
(b) Nine a.m.
(c) Seven a.m.
(d) Six a.m.
3. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are proud.
(d) They are angry.
4. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) There are no weapons nearby.
(b) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
(c) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(d) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
5. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
3. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
4. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
5. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first difficulties that the Essex experiences at the end of Chapter 2?
2. What are some of the facts that Philbrick discloses about the sinking of the Essex in the Preface?
3. What is the difference in the way Pollard and Chase are received when they return to Nantucket?
4. What is used to determine the wages of sailors that participate in whaling trips, and how will Nickerson be paid?
5. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
6. How does Lawrence repair the leak in Chase's boat?
7. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
8. What is the main concern of the boats during the first few days after the sinking of the Essex?
9. What is done to the Essex in order to prepare it for the trip?
10. How does the crew initially respond to the sinking of the Essex?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)