Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) The men on the ship.
(b) A fire.
(c) The bones on the ship.
(d) A flag.
2. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) September 22.
(b) September 12.
(c) October 22.
(d) October 2.
3. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to their rank.
(b) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(c) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(d) According to how many whales they have killed.
4. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
(b) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
(c) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(d) There are no weapons nearby.
5. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Barrington Island.
(b) Hood Island.
(c) Tower Island.
(d) Culpepper Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
2. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
3. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
4. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
5. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chase choose the events to include in a book about the Essex?
2. How does the crew of the Essex decide to sail towards South America instead of the Society Islands?
3. What is Chase's initial opinion about staying on the island in Chapter 9?
4. How is the Essex attacked by the whale and what happens to the ship as a result?
5. What happens when the Essex meets the Aurora?
6. How does the crew initially respond to the sinking of the Essex?
7. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
8. What happens to Chase at the end of his life?
9. What does the exhibit for the Essex at the Whaling Museum feature?
10. How is the Essex described in Chapter 1?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)