|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
(a) They build bigger sails for the boats.
(b) They put covers on the tops of the boats.
(c) They put weights on each end of the boats to minimize their movement.
(d) They build up the sides of each boat.
2. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
(a) Only Chase.
(b) Chase and Joy.
(c) Only Joy.
(d) No one.
3. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
4. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
(b) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(c) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(d) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
5. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(b) He is told by a messenger.
(c) He receives a letter.
(d) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much can sperm whales weigh?
2. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
3. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
4. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
5. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
2. What complaint does the crew bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3, and how does he handle it?
3. How is a whale killed by sailors?
4. How does the crew of the Essex decide to sail towards South America instead of the Society Islands?
5. What happens when the Essex meets the Aurora?
6. How does the crew of the Essex deal with the second whale sighted in Chapter 3, and what is a Nantucket sleigh ride?
7. What are the first difficulties that the Essex experiences at the end of Chapter 2?
8. How do two whales escape from Chase's boat in the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. What are some of the facts that Philbrick discloses about the sinking of the Essex in the Preface?
10. What events take place on Hood Island at the end of Chapter 4?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)