|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
2. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
3. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Three days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Two days.
4. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
(a) Because of the distance.
(b) Because of the wind direction.
(c) Because of the uncertainty of how to get back to them.
(d) Because of the waves around the islands.
5. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
(a) Sailors and boats.
(b) Letters from home.
(c) More weapons.
(d) More food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
2. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
3. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
4. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
5. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is done to the Essex in order to prepare it for the trip?
2. What events take place on Hood Island at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What happens when the Essex meets the Aurora?
4. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
5. How is the Essex attacked by the whale and what happens to the ship as a result?
6. How is a whale killed by sailors?
7. What complaint does the crew bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3, and how does he handle it?
8. What modifications are made to the whale boats in the beginning of Chapter 6?
9. How successful is the Essex off the coast of Peru?
10. What is used to determine the wages of sailors that participate in whaling trips, and how will Nickerson be paid?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)