|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Seven thousand people.
(b) Six thousand people.
(c) Eight thousand people.
(d) Five thousand people.
2. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
3. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(c) Square shaped.
4. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, big, and lucky.
(b) New, small, and lucky.
(c) Old, big, and lucky.
(d) Old, small, and lucky.
5. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Five months.
(b) Three months.
(c) Four months.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
2. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
3. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
4. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
5. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first difficulties that the Essex experiences at the end of Chapter 2?
2. How are the three whale boats divided and stocked for the trip at the end of Chapter 6?
3. How successful is the Essex off the coast of Peru?
4. What complaint does the crew bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3, and how does he handle it?
5. What is the process for "trying out" a whale?
6. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
7. What happens when the Essex tries to leave Nantucket?
8. Why does the crew decide not to wait for another whale ship in the Offshore Ground?
9. What well known island is part of the Society Islands and why should the crew have been aware of it?
10. What is used to determine the wages of sailors that participate in whaling trips, and how will Nickerson be paid?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)