|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
2. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(b) Less sleep time.
(c) More chores on the ship.
(d) Smaller food portions.
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
5. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
2. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
3. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
4. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
5. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complaint does the crew bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3, and how does he handle it?
2. How successful is the Essex off the coast of Peru?
3. How are the three whale boats divided and stocked for the trip at the end of Chapter 6?
4. What are some of the facts that Philbrick discloses about the sinking of the Essex in the Preface?
5. What is done to the Essex in order to prepare it for the trip?
6. How is the Essex attacked by the whale and what happens to the ship as a result?
7. What does the Dauphin find in the Preface?
8. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
9. How does Philbrick describe Pollard and his experience in Chapter 2?
10. How is Nantucket described in Chapter 1?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)