|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) One hundred and fifty dollars.
(b) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
2. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
3. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
(a) The whale drags the boat for several miles.
(b) The whale outruns the boat.
(c) The whale emerges underneath the boat.
(d) The whale is wounded, but not killed.
4. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(b) Nantucket drag along.
(c) Nantucket pull through.
(d) Nantucket speeder.
5. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
2. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
3. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
5. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the sperm whale that surfaces unexpectedly in Chapter 5?
2. How is Nantucket described in Chapter 1?
3. How does Pollard's boat respond to being attacked by a whale in Chapter 7?
4. What happens when the Essex meets the Aurora?
5. How does the crew initially respond to the sinking of the Essex?
6. What complaint does the crew bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3, and how does he handle it?
7. How successful is the Essex off the coast of Peru?
8. What happens when the first whale of the trip is sighted?
9. What is the process for "trying out" a whale?
10. How is a whale killed by sailors?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)