|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(b) A mate and a boat steerer.
(c) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(d) A mate and oarsmen.
2. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
3. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Eight slices of bread.
(b) Six slices of cheese.
(c) Six slices of bread.
(d) Eight slices of cheese.
4. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
(a) Sperm whale.
(b) Humpback whale.
(c) Killer whale.
(d) Blue whale.
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
(a) There is no stability when cutting up the whale blubber.
(b) It is difficult to raise the whale boats.
(c) It is difficult to lower the whale boats.
(d) Loss of direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
2. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
3. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
4. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What setbacks are the three boats having as they approach the Society Islands at the end of Chapter 7?
2. How is Nantucket described in Chapter 1?
3. What is done to the Essex in order to prepare it for the trip?
4. What well known island is part of the Society Islands and why should the crew have been aware of it?
5. What is the process for "trying out" a whale?
6. How does the crew of the Essex deal with the second whale sighted in Chapter 3, and what is a Nantucket sleigh ride?
7. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
8. How successful is the Essex off the coast of Peru?
9. How does Philbrick describe Pollard and his experience in Chapter 2?
10. What is the main concern of the boats during the first few days after the sinking of the Essex?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)