|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over half.
(b) Almost a quarter.
(c) Over a quarter.
(d) Almost half.
2. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
3. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next month.
(b) Something horrible is going to happen.
(c) There will be good weather for the next year.
(d) Something unusual is going to happen.
4. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
5. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Chase and Joy.
(b) Nickerson and Joy.
(c) Only Chase.
(d) Only Joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
2. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
3. Why does Pollard choose the Society Islands as the crew's destination?
4. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
5. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the process for "trying out" a whale?
2. How is a whale killed by sailors?
3. What are some of the facts that Philbrick discloses about the sinking of the Essex in the Preface?
4. What events take place on Hood Island at the end of Chapter 4?
5. What is used to determine the wages of sailors that participate in whaling trips, and how will Nickerson be paid?
6. How does Pollard's boat respond to being attacked by a whale in Chapter 7?
7. What happens when the Essex meets the Aurora?
8. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
9. How does Philbrick describe Pollard and his experience in Chapter 2?
10. How does the crew of the Essex deal with the second whale sighted in Chapter 3, and what is a Nantucket sleigh ride?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)