|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
(a) They have run out of the freshwater.
(b) They are in the sun for long periods of time.
(c) They are eating saltwater-damaged bread.
(d) They are spending energy repairing their boat.
2. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(d) Square shaped.
3. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) Very few.
(d) An average amount.
4. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
5. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Eight hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Two hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
3. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
5. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What well known island is part of the Society Islands and why should the crew have been aware of it?
2. Why does the crew decide not to wait for another whale ship in the Offshore Ground?
3. How does the crew initially respond to the sinking of the Essex?
4. How is the Essex described in Chapter 1?
5. How is a whale killed by sailors?
6. What happens when the Essex meets the Aurora?
7. How are the three whale boats divided and stocked for the trip at the end of Chapter 6?
8. What is unusual about the sperm whale that surfaces unexpectedly in Chapter 5?
9. How does the crew of the Essex decide to sail towards South America instead of the Society Islands?
10. What troubles is the Essex having at Cape Horn and off the coast of Chile?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)