|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
2. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
(a) There is a doctor on the captain's boat.
(b) To die among Nantucketers.
(c) The captain's boat has more food.
(d) To die next to the captain.
3. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
(a) A moderate amount.
(b) A substantial amount.
(d) Very little.
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
(a) Fifteen hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) More than fifteen hundred.
(d) One thousand.
6. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
(a) It starts leaking.
(b) It capsizes.
(c) It runs out of provisions.
(d) It catches fire.
7. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
(a) He stops them.
(b) He instructs them.
(c) He helps them.
(d) He refuses to watch.
8. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
(a) He writes a letter to the captain of another ship.
(b) He writes a letter to his wife.
(c) He begins collecting nuts and berries.
(d) He begins collecting rocks.
9. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
(a) He does not believe it.
(b) He ignores it.
(c) He writes it down.
(d) He only believes some of it.
10. What has Pollard's Nantucket house become in modern times?
(a) A parking lot.
(b) A gift shop.
(c) A library.
(d) A museum.
11. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Porpoises and a whale.
(b) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
(c) A shark and a whale.
(d) A shark and porpoises.
12. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
(a) Four hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Three hundred.
13. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three weeks.
14. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
15. Why is it difficult for the men to row in Chapter 8?
(a) It is too hot.
(b) They are too weak.
(c) They are not getting enough sleep.
(d) They are rowing against the wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
2. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
3. What time of the day do the men observe the latitude of their trip in Chapter 10?
4. On January 26, how many men are in Chase's boat?
5. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)