|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
(a) The morning of December 9.
(b) The night of December 9.
(c) The morning of December 10.
(d) The night of December 10.
2. What island do the men initially think they have found in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Pitcairn Island.
(b) Ducie Island.
(c) Oeno Island.
(d) Henderson Island.
3. How much oil does Chase return with in 1836 on the Charles Carroll?
(a) Three thousand six hundred and ten gallons.
(b) Two thousand six hundred and ten gallons.
(c) Two thousand six hundred and ten barrels.
(d) Three thousand six hundred and ten barrels.
4. Why is it difficult for the men to row in Chapter 8?
(a) They are not getting enough sleep.
(b) They are rowing against the wind.
(c) It is too hot.
(d) They are too weak.
5. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
(a) Large and flat.
(b) Small and round.
(c) Large and round.
(d) Small and flat.
6. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Three miles.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Five miles.
(d) Nine miles.
7. What museum acquires the skeleton of the whale found in the Epilogue?
(a) The New Bedford Whaling Museum.
(b) The Nantucket Whaling Museum.
(c) The Cape Cod Maritime Museum.
(d) The Kendall Whaling Museum.
8. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
9. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
10. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
(a) It might not have food.
(b) It might be deserted.
(c) It might be inhabited.
(d) It might not have water.
11. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) At least three hundred.
(b) Less than two hundred.
(c) At least four hundred.
(d) Less than one hundred.
12. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(b) He thinks that it is a good idea.
(c) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
(d) He refuses to listen to it.
13. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
(d) Ann Alexander.
14. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
(d) Los Rios.
15. What time of the day do the men observe the latitude of their trip in Chapter 10?
(b) Eight o'clock in the morning.
(d) Eight o'clock in the evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
2. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
4. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
5. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)