|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(b) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
(c) Drink more water.
(d) Build miniature fans in the boat.
2. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
(a) They throw him overboard.
(b) They knock him unconscious.
(c) They place him on a board.
(d) They attempt to reason with him.
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Birds and crabs.
(b) Only crabs.
(c) Only birds.
(d) Neither birds nor crabs.
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
6. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
(a) It capsizes.
(b) It catches fire.
(c) It starts leaking.
(d) It runs out of provisions.
7. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three months.
8. When does Cole die?
(a) February 10.
(b) February 8.
(c) February 7.
(d) February 9.
9. When do Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson arrive in Nantucket?
(a) April 11.
(b) May 11.
(c) June 11.
(d) July 11.
10. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
(b) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
(c) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(d) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
11. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
12. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
13. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
(a) A letter from the men is placed inside his pocket.
(b) He is buried at sea.
(c) He is sewn up in his clothes.
(d) A stone is tied to his feet.
14. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
(b) Sword fish.
(d) Flying fish.
15. Which ship's captain makes arrangements to rescue the remaining Essex members on Henderson Island?
(b) Two Brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
2. How much oil does Chase return with in 1836 on the Charles Carroll?
3. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
4. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)