|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
(a) It is never done.
(b) It is widespread.
(c) It is rarely done.
(d) It is unknown.
2. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
(b) A shark and a whale.
(c) Porpoises and a whale.
(d) A shark and porpoises.
3. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
(a) It starts leaking.
(b) It runs out of provisions.
(c) It catches fire.
(d) It capsizes.
4. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
(a) It might be deserted.
(b) It might not have food.
(c) It might be inhabited.
(d) It might not have water.
5. What do the men begin losing on their first morning on the island?
(a) Their ability to speak.
(b) Their sense of direction.
(c) Their sense of smell.
(d) Their ability to see.
6. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Nine miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) Seven miles.
(d) Three miles.
7. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Two months.
8. What has Pollard's Nantucket house become in modern times?
(a) A museum.
(b) A parking lot.
(c) A gift shop.
(d) A library.
9. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) Less than two hundred.
(b) Less than one hundred.
(c) At least four hundred.
(d) At least three hundred.
10. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
(a) In their boats.
(b) In the forest.
(c) On the beach.
(d) On rocks.
11. Why is the arrival of Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson in Nantucket unexpected in Chapter 13?
(a) They are scheduled to arrive on a different ship.
(b) The people there are not aware of their rescue.
(c) They are scheduled to arrive one month later.
(d) A rumor had been told that they refused to return home.
12. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
13. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
(c) Los Rios.
14. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) One dollar and fifty cents.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Two dollars and fifty cents.
15. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
(a) Only latitude and a log line.
(b) Latitude, a log line, and a compass.
(c) Only latitude and a compass.
(d) Only a log line and a compass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
2. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
3. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
4. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
5. What time of the day do the men observe the latitude of their trip in Chapter 10?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)