|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
(c) Ann Alexander.
2. When does Cole die?
(a) February 8.
(b) February 9.
(c) February 7.
(d) February 10.
3. What happens to Chase before he dies?
(a) He cannot remember the Essex.
(b) He reconnects with Pollard.
(c) He moves from Nantucket.
(d) He is declared insane.
4. What year is it when Chapter 12 begins?
5. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
6. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
(b) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
(c) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(d) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
7. How many days after leaving the sunken Essex is Chase's boat rescued by the Indian?
(a) Eighty- nine.
(b) Ninety- nine.
(c) One hundred and nineteen.
(d) One hundred and nine.
8. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
(a) Large and round.
(b) Large and flat.
(c) Small and round.
(d) Small and flat.
9. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Nine miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Seven miles.
10. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
(a) He does not believe it.
(b) He writes it down.
(c) He only believes some of it.
(d) He ignores it.
11. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) A flat stone and firewood.
(b) A flat stone, firewood, and leaves.
(c) Firewood and leaves.
(d) A flat stone and leaves.
12. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
(a) They return to the last place they saw Pollard.
(b) They call out.
(c) They shoot flares.
(d) They retrace the route that Pollard was on.
13. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Birds and crabs.
(b) Neither birds nor crabs.
(c) Only birds.
(d) Only crabs.
14. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(b) He thinks that it is a good idea.
(c) He refuses to listen to it.
(d) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
15. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A shark and porpoises.
(b) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
(c) Porpoises and a whale.
(d) A shark and a whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
2. Which one of the following is not included in the museum's exhibit of the Essex?
3. When do Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson arrive in Nantucket?
4. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
5. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)