|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
2. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
3. Which direction is Chase's boat floating in Chapter 11?
4. How much oil does Chase return with in 1836 on the Charles Carroll?
(a) Two thousand six hundred and ten gallons.
(b) Three thousand six hundred and ten barrels.
(c) Two thousand six hundred and ten barrels.
(d) Three thousand six hundred and ten gallons.
5. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
(b) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(c) Drink more water.
(d) Build miniature fans in the boat.
6. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Firewood and leaves.
(b) A flat stone and firewood.
(c) A flat stone and leaves.
(d) A flat stone, firewood, and leaves.
7. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
(a) January 19.
(b) January 17.
(c) January 20.
(d) January 18.
8. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
9. When does Cole die?
(a) February 7.
(b) February 10.
(c) February 9.
(d) February 8.
10. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Three miles.
(b) Nine miles.
(c) Five miles.
(d) Seven miles.
11. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
(a) He transfers them to his chest.
(b) He sleeps with a loaded pistol.
(c) He puts an arm or leg across them as he sleeps.
(d) He threatens to decrease the portions for anyone that has too much.
12. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
(a) The morning of December 10.
(b) The night of December 10.
(c) The night of December 9.
(d) The morning of December 9.
13. How many days after leaving the sunken Essex is Chase's boat rescued by the Indian?
(a) One hundred and nine.
(b) Eighty- nine.
(c) One hundred and nineteen.
(d) Ninety- nine.
14. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
(a) A stone is tied to his feet.
(b) He is sewn up in his clothes.
(c) A letter from the men is placed inside his pocket.
(d) He is buried at sea.
15. What do the men on Henderson Island think the gunshot is when it is fired in Chapter 13?
(a) A falling rock.
(b) A falling tree.
(c) An attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
2. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
3. On January 26, how many men are in Chase's boat?
4. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
5. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)