|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the arrival of Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson in Nantucket unexpected in Chapter 13?
(a) The people there are not aware of their rescue.
(b) They are scheduled to arrive one month later.
(c) A rumor had been told that they refused to return home.
(d) They are scheduled to arrive on a different ship.
2. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two months.
3. After realizing they are too far south to reach Easter Island, how far away is the next group of islands?
(a) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
(b) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(c) Five hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(d) Five hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
4. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Porpoises and a whale.
(b) A shark and a whale.
(c) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
(d) A shark and porpoises.
5. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
(a) The next afternoon.
(b) Two days later.
(c) Three days later.
(d) The next morning.
6. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
(a) To settle on the island permanently.
(b) To settle on the island for a few weeks.
(c) To leave immediately.
(d) To settle on the island for a few days.
7. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
(a) He refuses to watch.
(b) He stops them.
(c) He instructs them.
(d) He helps them.
8. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
(a) Large and round.
(b) Small and round.
(c) Small and flat.
(d) Large and flat.
9. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
(a) It runs out of provisions.
(b) It capsizes.
(c) It catches fire.
(d) It starts leaking.
10. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
11. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
12. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
(a) They return to the last place they saw Pollard.
(b) They shoot flares.
(c) They retrace the route that Pollard was on.
(d) They call out.
13. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
(a) Two thousand miles.
(b) One thousand miles.
(c) Twenty five hundred miles.
(d) Fifteen hundred miles.
14. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
15. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) February 2.
(b) February 1.
(c) January 29.
(d) January 28.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
2. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
3. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
4. When does Pollard avert potential disaster after crashing into the French Frigate Shoals?
5. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)