|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
(c) Los Rios.
2. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
(c) New Bedford.
3. When do Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson arrive in Nantucket?
(a) May 11.
(b) July 11.
(c) April 11.
(d) June 11.
4. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Nine miles.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Five miles.
5. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
(a) It is never done.
(b) It is widespread.
(c) It is rarely done.
(d) It is unknown.
6. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
(a) He writes it down.
(b) He only believes some of it.
(c) He ignores it.
(d) He does not believe it.
7. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
8. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
(a) Twenty gallons.
(b) Ten gallons.
(c) Twenty liters.
(d) Ten liters.
9. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
(a) Eight p.m.
(b) Seven a.m.
(c) Seven p.m.
(d) Eight a.m.
10. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
(d) Two Brothers.
11. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
(a) One day.
(b) Three days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Two days.
12. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
(a) Two thousand miles.
(b) Fifteen hundred miles.
(c) One thousand miles.
(d) Twenty five hundred miles.
13. What do the men on Henderson Island think the gunshot is when it is fired in Chapter 13?
(a) An attack.
(b) A falling tree.
(d) A falling rock.
14. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
(a) Less than a year.
(b) Almost exactly two years.
(c) Almost exactly a year.
(d) Less than six months.
15. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
(a) There is a doctor on the captain's boat.
(b) The captain's boat has more food.
(c) To die next to the captain.
(d) To die among Nantucketers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
2. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
3. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
4. How many days has it been since Pollard and Hendricks have lost sight of Chase's boat in the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. What do the men begin losing on their first morning on the island?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)