|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
(a) They attempt to reason with him.
(b) They knock him unconscious.
(c) They throw him overboard.
(d) They place him on a board.
2. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 17.
(b) December 19.
(c) December 18.
(d) December 16.
3. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two hours.
4. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Four days.
(d) One day.
5. When does Pollard avert potential disaster after crashing into the French Frigate Shoals?
(a) February of 1823.
(b) September of 1823.
(c) September of 1832.
(d) February of 1832.
6. How long does Pollard wait before being taken home on the Two Brothers?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) Two months.
7. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
(a) He instructs them.
(b) He refuses to watch.
(c) He helps them.
(d) He stops them.
8. On January 26, how many men are in Chase's boat?
9. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
10. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
(a) Juan Fernandez.
(b) Tierra del Fuego.
(d) Easter Island.
11. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the morning.
(b) In the late afternoon.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) At night.
12. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
(a) It starts leaking.
(b) It runs out of provisions.
(c) It capsizes.
(d) It catches fire.
13. Which direction is Chase's boat floating in Chapter 11?
14. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
(d) Three hundred.
15. Which one of the following is not included in the museum's exhibit of the Essex?
(b) The ship's truck.
(c) A list of the crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
3. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
4. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
5. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)