|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
(a) Two Brothers.
2. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Only crabs.
(b) Neither birds nor crabs.
(c) Birds and crabs.
(d) Only birds.
4. After realizing they are too far south to reach Easter Island, how far away is the next group of islands?
(a) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(b) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
(c) Five hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
(d) Five hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
5. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
(a) He transfers them to his chest.
(b) He sleeps with a loaded pistol.
(c) He threatens to decrease the portions for anyone that has too much.
(d) He puts an arm or leg across them as he sleeps.
6. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
(a) Latitude, a log line, and a compass.
(b) Only latitude and a log line.
(c) Only a log line and a compass.
(d) Only latitude and a compass.
7. Why is it difficult for the Surry to land on Henderson Island during the rescue of the men?
(a) The boat is too damaged.
(b) The coral is too dangerous.
(c) The wind is too strong.
(d) The rain is too heavy.
8. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
(c) Ann Alexander.
9. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
(a) A letter from the men is placed inside his pocket.
(b) He is buried at sea.
(c) A stone is tied to his feet.
(d) He is sewn up in his clothes.
10. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Two dollars and fifty cents.
(d) One dollar and fifty cents.
11. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
(a) New Bedford.
12. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In the forest.
(c) In their boats.
(d) On rocks.
13. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) At least three hundred.
(b) Less than one hundred.
(c) At least four hundred.
(d) Less than two hundred.
14. What museum acquires the skeleton of the whale found in the Epilogue?
(a) The Nantucket Whaling Museum.
(b) The New Bedford Whaling Museum.
(c) The Kendall Whaling Museum.
(d) The Cape Cod Maritime Museum.
15. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
2. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
3. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
4. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
5. What has Pollard's Nantucket house become in modern times?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)