|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(b) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
(c) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
(d) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
2. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Three miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) Seven miles.
(d) Nine miles.
3. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
(b) Los Rios.
4. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
(a) He helps them.
(b) He refuses to watch.
(c) He instructs them.
(d) He stops them.
5. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
(c) Ann Alexander.
6. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
7. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Four hundred.
8. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) February 1.
(b) February 2.
(c) January 28.
(d) January 29.
9. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
(a) To settle on the island permanently.
(b) To settle on the island for a few weeks.
(c) To settle on the island for a few days.
(d) To leave immediately.
10. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) At least three hundred.
(b) Less than one hundred.
(c) At least four hundred.
(d) Less than two hundred.
11. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
(a) Two Brothers.
12. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
(a) He is sewn up in his clothes.
(b) A stone is tied to his feet.
(c) He is buried at sea.
(d) A letter from the men is placed inside his pocket.
13. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Birds and crabs.
(b) Only crabs.
(c) Only birds.
(d) Neither birds nor crabs.
14. What has the boarding house that Nickerson owned become in modern times?
(a) A shopping mall.
(b) A parking garage.
(c) A hotel.
(d) An office building.
15. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
(a) The next morning.
(b) The next afternoon.
(c) Three days later.
(d) Two days later.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
2. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
3. What time of the day do the men observe the latitude of their trip in Chapter 10?
4. Contrary to what the men think, what island are they actually on in Chapter 9?
5. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)