|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
(a) On the beach.
(b) On rocks.
(c) In the forest.
(d) In their boats.
2. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
(a) Almost exactly a year.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) Almost exactly two years.
(d) Less than six months.
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Only crabs.
(b) Birds and crabs.
(c) Neither birds nor crabs.
(d) Only birds.
4. What do the men on Henderson Island think the gunshot is when it is fired in Chapter 13?
(a) A falling rock.
(b) An attack.
(c) A falling tree.
5. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
6. On January 26, how many men are in Chase's boat?
7. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
(a) The night of December 9.
(b) The morning of December 9.
(c) The night of December 10.
(d) The morning of December 10.
8. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
(a) A letter from the men is placed inside his pocket.
(b) A stone is tied to his feet.
(c) He is buried at sea.
(d) He is sewn up in his clothes.
9. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
(a) There is a doctor on the captain's boat.
(b) The captain's boat has more food.
(c) To die among Nantucketers.
(d) To die next to the captain.
10. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Seven miles.
(b) Nine miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Five miles.
11. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 18.
(b) December 19.
(c) December 17.
(d) December 16.
12. Why is it difficult for the Surry to land on Henderson Island during the rescue of the men?
(a) The wind is too strong.
(b) The coral is too dangerous.
(c) The boat is too damaged.
(d) The rain is too heavy.
13. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
(a) To settle on the island permanently.
(b) To settle on the island for a few days.
(c) To settle on the island for a few weeks.
(d) To leave immediately.
14. At what Peruvian Port does Pollard meet Charles Wilkes?
15. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
2. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
3. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
4. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
5. Which one of the following is not included in the museum's exhibit of the Essex?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)