|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it difficult for the men to row in Chapter 8?
(a) They are not getting enough sleep.
(b) They are rowing against the wind.
(c) It is too hot.
(d) They are too weak.
2. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
3. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
(a) The night of December 10.
(b) The night of December 9.
(c) The morning of December 10.
(d) The morning of December 9.
4. What time of the day do the men observe the latitude of their trip in Chapter 10?
(b) Eight o'clock in the evening.
(c) Eight o'clock in the morning.
5. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
6. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
(a) Ten liters.
(b) Twenty gallons.
(c) Ten gallons.
(d) Twenty liters.
7. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
(a) Twenty five hundred miles.
(b) One thousand miles.
(c) Two thousand miles.
(d) Fifteen hundred miles.
8. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
(a) He writes a letter to the captain of another ship.
(b) He begins collecting nuts and berries.
(c) He writes a letter to his wife.
(d) He begins collecting rocks.
9. How long does Pollard wait before being taken home on the Two Brothers?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
10. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
(a) They place him on a board.
(b) They knock him unconscious.
(c) They throw him overboard.
(d) They attempt to reason with him.
11. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Porpoises and a whale.
(b) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
(c) A shark and porpoises.
(d) A shark and a whale.
12. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Birds and crabs.
(b) Neither birds nor crabs.
(c) Only crabs.
(d) Only birds.
13. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
14. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
(a) Sword fish.
(d) Flying fish.
15. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
2. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
3. On what day does Pollard reach St. Mary's Island?
4. At what Peruvian Port does Pollard meet Charles Wilkes?
5. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)