|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
(a) He is buried at sea.
(b) He is sewn up in his clothes.
(c) A stone is tied to his feet.
(d) A letter from the men is placed inside his pocket.
2. How much oil does Chase return with in 1836 on the Charles Carroll?
(a) Two thousand six hundred and ten gallons.
(b) Two thousand six hundred and ten barrels.
(c) Three thousand six hundred and ten gallons.
(d) Three thousand six hundred and ten barrels.
3. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) At night.
(b) In the morning.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the late afternoon.
4. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Three miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) Nine miles.
(d) Seven miles.
5. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
(a) New Bedford.
6. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
(a) To die among Nantucketers.
(b) To die next to the captain.
(c) The captain's boat has more food.
(d) There is a doctor on the captain's boat.
7. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
(a) They retrace the route that Pollard was on.
(b) They call out.
(c) They return to the last place they saw Pollard.
(d) They shoot flares.
8. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
9. How many days after leaving the sunken Essex is Chase's boat rescued by the Indian?
(a) One hundred and nineteen.
(b) One hundred and nine.
(c) Ninety- nine.
(d) Eighty- nine.
10. Which direction is Chase's boat floating in Chapter 11?
11. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(b) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
(c) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
(d) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
12. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
13. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) January 29.
(b) February 1.
(c) February 2.
(d) January 28.
14. Which ship's captain makes arrangements to rescue the remaining Essex members on Henderson Island?
(d) Two Brothers.
15. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
(a) To leave immediately.
(b) To settle on the island for a few days.
(c) To settle on the island permanently.
(d) To settle on the island for a few weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
2. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
3. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
4. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
5. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)