|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day does Pollard reach St. Mary's Island?
(a) February 22.
(b) February 21.
(c) February 23.
(d) February 20.
2. What happens to Chase before he dies?
(a) He reconnects with Pollard.
(b) He cannot remember the Essex.
(c) He moves from Nantucket.
(d) He is declared insane.
3. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
(a) They return to the last place they saw Pollard.
(b) They shoot flares.
(c) They call out.
(d) They retrace the route that Pollard was on.
4. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
(a) A stone is tied to his feet.
(b) He is buried at sea.
(c) He is sewn up in his clothes.
(d) A letter from the men is placed inside his pocket.
5. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
(a) It might be deserted.
(b) It might be inhabited.
(c) It might not have food.
(d) It might not have water.
6. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
7. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
(a) The night of December 10.
(b) The night of December 9.
(c) The morning of December 10.
(d) The morning of December 9.
8. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
9. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
10. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
11. How much oil does Chase return with in 1836 on the Charles Carroll?
(a) Three thousand six hundred and ten gallons.
(b) Two thousand six hundred and ten gallons.
(c) Three thousand six hundred and ten barrels.
(d) Two thousand six hundred and ten barrels.
12. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) One thousand.
(c) Fifteen hundred.
(d) More than fifteen hundred.
13. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) A flat stone and leaves.
(b) A flat stone and firewood.
(c) A flat stone, firewood, and leaves.
(d) Firewood and leaves.
14. What museum acquires the skeleton of the whale found in the Epilogue?
(a) The Nantucket Whaling Museum.
(b) The New Bedford Whaling Museum.
(c) The Cape Cod Maritime Museum.
(d) The Kendall Whaling Museum.
15. After realizing they are too far south to reach Easter Island, how far away is the next group of islands?
(a) Five hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
(b) Five hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(c) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(d) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Cole die?
2. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
3. What time of the day do the men observe the latitude of their trip in Chapter 10?
4. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
5. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)