|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
(a) It runs out of provisions.
(b) It starts leaking.
(c) It capsizes.
(d) It catches fire.
2. After realizing they are too far south to reach Easter Island, how far away is the next group of islands?
(a) Five hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
(b) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(c) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
(d) Five hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
3. How many days after leaving the sunken Essex is Chase's boat rescued by the Indian?
(a) Ninety- nine.
(b) One hundred and nineteen.
(c) Eighty- nine.
(d) One hundred and nine.
4. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
5. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(b) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
(c) He thinks that it is a good idea.
(d) He refuses to listen to it.
6. How many days has it been since Pollard and Hendricks have lost sight of Chase's boat in the beginning of Chapter 11?
7. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) At least three hundred.
(b) Less than one hundred.
(c) At least four hundred.
(d) Less than two hundred.
8. How long does Pollard wait before being taken home on the Two Brothers?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
9. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
(a) Only latitude and a log line.
(b) Latitude, a log line, and a compass.
(c) Only a log line and a compass.
(d) Only latitude and a compass.
10. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
(a) They shoot flares.
(b) They retrace the route that Pollard was on.
(c) They call out.
(d) They return to the last place they saw Pollard.
11. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) February 1.
(b) January 29.
(c) January 28.
(d) February 2.
12. What do the men on Henderson Island think the gunshot is when it is fired in Chapter 13?
(a) A falling rock.
(b) An attack.
(c) A falling tree.
13. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 17.
(b) December 16.
(c) December 18.
(d) December 19.
14. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
15. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Drink more water.
(b) Build miniature fans in the boat.
(c) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
(d) Hang over the edge of the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included in the museum's exhibit of the Essex?
2. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
3. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
4. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
5. What year is it when Chapter 12 begins?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)