|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After realizing they are too far south to reach Easter Island, how far away is the next group of islands?
(a) Five hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(b) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(c) Five hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
(d) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
2. How long does Pollard wait before being taken home on the Two Brothers?
(a) Two months.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) Two weeks.
3. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) One day.
(d) Four days.
4. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
(a) It is widespread.
(b) It is rarely done.
(c) It is unknown.
(d) It is never done.
5. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
6. Which direction is Chase's boat floating in Chapter 11?
7. What has the boarding house that Nickerson owned become in modern times?
(a) A hotel.
(b) An office building.
(c) A shopping mall.
(d) A parking garage.
8. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
(a) One dollar and fifty cents.
(b) Two dollars and fifty cents.
(c) Two dollars.
(d) One dollar.
9. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
(b) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
(c) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
(d) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
10. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
(a) They throw him overboard.
(b) They knock him unconscious.
(c) They attempt to reason with him.
(d) They place him on a board.
11. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
(a) He helps them.
(b) He instructs them.
(c) He stops them.
(d) He refuses to watch.
12. What happens to Chase before he dies?
(a) He moves from Nantucket.
(b) He cannot remember the Essex.
(c) He reconnects with Pollard.
(d) He is declared insane.
13. Which ship's captain makes arrangements to rescue the remaining Essex members on Henderson Island?
(c) Two Brothers.
14. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
(a) Only a log line and a compass.
(b) Only latitude and a compass.
(c) Only latitude and a log line.
(d) Latitude, a log line, and a compass.
15. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
(a) To die among Nantucketers.
(b) The captain's boat has more food.
(c) There is a doctor on the captain's boat.
(d) To die next to the captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
2. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
3. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
4. Why is it difficult for the Surry to land on Henderson Island during the rescue of the men?
5. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)