|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
(a) Eight a.m.
(b) Eight p.m.
(c) Seven p.m.
(d) Seven a.m.
2. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
(a) It might be inhabited.
(b) It might be deserted.
(c) It might not have water.
(d) It might not have food.
3. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
(b) Sword fish.
(d) Flying fish.
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Porpoises and a whale.
(b) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
(c) A shark and a whale.
(d) A shark and porpoises.
6. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(b) He refuses to listen to it.
(c) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
(d) He thinks that it is a good idea.
7. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
8. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Three miles.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Nine miles.
(d) Five miles.
9. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He does not believe it.
(c) He writes it down.
(d) He only believes some of it.
10. What happens to Chase before he dies?
(a) He is declared insane.
(b) He reconnects with Pollard.
(c) He moves from Nantucket.
(d) He cannot remember the Essex.
11. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the late afternoon.
(b) In the morning.
(c) At night.
(d) In the afternoon.
12. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
13. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
(a) They attempt to reason with him.
(b) They knock him unconscious.
(c) They throw him overboard.
(d) They place him on a board.
14. After realizing they are too far south to reach Easter Island, how far away is the next group of islands?
(a) Five hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
(b) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
(c) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(d) Five hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
15. What museum acquires the skeleton of the whale found in the Epilogue?
(a) The New Bedford Whaling Museum.
(b) The Kendall Whaling Museum.
(c) The Cape Cod Maritime Museum.
(d) The Nantucket Whaling Museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
2. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
3. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
4. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
5. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)