|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
(a) Two dollars and fifty cents.
(b) One dollar.
(c) One dollar and fifty cents.
(d) Two dollars.
2. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
(a) Latitude, a log line, and a compass.
(b) Only latitude and a log line.
(c) Only a log line and a compass.
(d) Only latitude and a compass.
3. When does Cole die?
(a) February 7.
(b) February 9.
(c) February 10.
(d) February 8.
4. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
5. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He thinks that it is a good idea.
(b) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(c) He refuses to listen to it.
(d) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
6. Which direction is Chase's boat floating in Chapter 11?
7. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
8. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
(a) The night of December 10.
(b) The morning of December 10.
(c) The night of December 9.
(d) The morning of December 9.
9. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
(a) The next afternoon.
(b) Three days later.
(c) Two days later.
(d) The next morning.
10. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
(a) New Bedford.
11. How long does Pollard wait before being taken home on the Two Brothers?
(a) Two months.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) Two weeks.
12. When do Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson arrive in Nantucket?
(a) April 11.
(b) July 11.
(c) June 11.
(d) May 11.
13. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
(a) He instructs them.
(b) He stops them.
(c) He helps them.
(d) He refuses to watch.
14. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
(a) January 18.
(b) January 20.
(c) January 17.
(d) January 19.
15. Which one of the following is not included in the museum's exhibit of the Essex?
(a) The ship's truck.
(b) A list of the crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
2. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
3. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
4. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
5. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)