|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
(a) Fifteen hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) More than fifteen hundred.
(d) One thousand.
2. How many days has it been since Pollard and Hendricks have lost sight of Chase's boat in the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the late afternoon.
(b) In the morning.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) At night.
4. Which one of the following is not included in the museum's exhibit of the Essex?
(c) The ship's truck.
(d) A list of the crew.
5. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
6. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
(a) Very little.
(b) A substantial amount.
(d) A moderate amount.
7. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
(a) It is rarely done.
(b) It is widespread.
(c) It is never done.
(d) It is unknown.
8. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) February 1.
(b) January 28.
(c) January 29.
(d) February 2.
9. What island do the men initially think they have found in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Henderson Island.
(b) Oeno Island.
(c) Ducie Island.
(d) Pitcairn Island.
10. Where is the Pearl headed with Pollard on board two months after the accident at the French Frigate Shoals?
11. Which direction is Chase's boat floating in Chapter 11?
12. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
(b) Los Rios.
13. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
(a) The night of December 10.
(b) The morning of December 9.
(c) The morning of December 10.
(d) The night of December 9.
14. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
(d) Two Brothers.
15. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
(a) January 19.
(b) January 20.
(c) January 17.
(d) January 18.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
2. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
3. What has the boarding house that Nickerson owned become in modern times?
4. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
5. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)