|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
2. Why is the arrival of Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson in Nantucket unexpected in Chapter 13?
(a) A rumor had been told that they refused to return home.
(b) The people there are not aware of their rescue.
(c) They are scheduled to arrive one month later.
(d) They are scheduled to arrive on a different ship.
3. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
(a) The captain's boat has more food.
(b) There is a doctor on the captain's boat.
(c) To die next to the captain.
(d) To die among Nantucketers.
4. What year is it when Chapter 12 begins?
5. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
(a) He writes a letter to the captain of another ship.
(b) He writes a letter to his wife.
(c) He begins collecting rocks.
(d) He begins collecting nuts and berries.
6. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
(b) New Bedford.
7. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
(a) Los Rios.
8. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
(a) Less than six months.
(b) Almost exactly a year.
(c) Less than a year.
(d) Almost exactly two years.
9. Which ship's captain makes arrangements to rescue the remaining Essex members on Henderson Island?
(b) Two Brothers.
10. What island do the men initially think they have found in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Henderson Island.
(b) Ducie Island.
(c) Pitcairn Island.
(d) Oeno Island.
11. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
(a) It might be deserted.
(b) It might not have water.
(c) It might not have food.
(d) It might be inhabited.
12. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) January 28.
(b) February 2.
(c) February 1.
(d) January 29.
13. What museum acquires the skeleton of the whale found in the Epilogue?
(a) The Nantucket Whaling Museum.
(b) The Cape Cod Maritime Museum.
(c) The Kendall Whaling Museum.
(d) The New Bedford Whaling Museum.
14. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 18.
(b) December 19.
(c) December 16.
(d) December 17.
15. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(b) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
(c) He thinks that it is a good idea.
(d) He refuses to listen to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
2. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
3. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
4. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)