|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days has it been since Pollard and Hendricks have lost sight of Chase's boat in the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
(a) The captain's boat has more food.
(b) To die next to the captain.
(c) To die among Nantucketers.
(d) There is a doctor on the captain's boat.
3. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
(b) Two Brothers.
4. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
(d) New Bedford.
5. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
(a) Three days later.
(b) The next afternoon.
(c) Two days later.
(d) The next morning.
6. Contrary to what the men think, what island are they actually on in Chapter 9?
(a) Henderson Island.
(b) Oeno Island.
(c) Ducie Island.
(d) Pitcairn Island.
7. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
8. What island do the men initially think they have found in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Oeno Island.
(b) Pitcairn Island.
(c) Ducie Island.
(d) Henderson Island.
9. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
10. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Nine miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Seven miles.
11. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He does not believe it.
(c) He writes it down.
(d) He only believes some of it.
12. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
13. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
14. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
(a) Seven p.m.
(b) Eight p.m.
(c) Eight a.m.
(d) Seven a.m.
15. What happens to Chase before he dies?
(a) He cannot remember the Essex.
(b) He reconnects with Pollard.
(c) He moves from Nantucket.
(d) He is declared insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
2. On January 26, how many men are in Chase's boat?
3. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
4. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
5. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)