|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
(a) The morning of December 9.
(b) The night of December 10.
(c) The morning of December 10.
(d) The night of December 9.
2. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
(a) Ten liters.
(b) Twenty liters.
(c) Ten gallons.
(d) Twenty gallons.
3. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
(a) On the beach.
(b) On rocks.
(c) In their boats.
(d) In the forest.
4. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
(a) He instructs them.
(b) He refuses to watch.
(c) He stops them.
(d) He helps them.
5. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
(a) It is widespread.
(b) It is unknown.
(c) It is never done.
(d) It is rarely done.
6. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) One thousand.
(c) More than fifteen hundred.
(d) Fifteen hundred.
7. What year is it when Chapter 12 begins?
8. What do the men on Henderson Island think the gunshot is when it is fired in Chapter 13?
(a) A falling tree.
(b) A falling rock.
(d) An attack.
9. What happens to Chase before he dies?
(a) He moves from Nantucket.
(b) He cannot remember the Essex.
(c) He reconnects with Pollard.
(d) He is declared insane.
10. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) February 1.
(b) January 29.
(c) February 2.
(d) January 28.
11. Which one of the following is not included in the museum's exhibit of the Essex?
(b) The ship's truck.
(c) A list of the crew.
12. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
(a) He begins collecting rocks.
(b) He begins collecting nuts and berries.
(c) He writes a letter to the captain of another ship.
(d) He writes a letter to his wife.
13. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the morning.
(b) At night.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the late afternoon.
14. What has the boarding house that Nickerson owned become in modern times?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A parking garage.
(c) An office building.
(d) A shopping mall.
15. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Nine miles.
(b) Three miles.
(c) Seven miles.
(d) Five miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
2. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
3. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
4. Which ship's captain makes arrangements to rescue the remaining Essex members on Henderson Island?
5. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)