|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which ship's captain makes arrangements to rescue the remaining Essex members on Henderson Island?
(c) Two Brothers.
2. How many days after leaving the sunken Essex is Chase's boat rescued by the Indian?
(a) One hundred and nine.
(b) One hundred and nineteen.
(c) Eighty- nine.
(d) Ninety- nine.
3. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
4. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
(a) Eight a.m.
(b) Seven p.m.
(c) Eight p.m.
(d) Seven a.m.
5. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
6. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 17.
(b) December 16.
(c) December 19.
(d) December 18.
7. How does Aaron Paddack respond to Pollard's story as Chapter 12 ends?
(a) He does not believe it.
(b) He only believes some of it.
(c) He writes it down.
(d) He ignores it.
8. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
9. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
(a) It is rarely done.
(b) It is widespread.
(c) It is never done.
(d) It is unknown.
10. According to the Epilogue, what year is it when a sperm whale washes up on the beaches of Nantucket?
11. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
(a) One dollar.
(b) One dollar and fifty cents.
(c) Two dollars and fifty cents.
(d) Two dollars.
12. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
(a) Almost exactly a year.
(b) Less than six months.
(c) Less than a year.
(d) Almost exactly two years.
13. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
14. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
(a) Two thousand miles.
(b) One thousand miles.
(c) Fifteen hundred miles.
(d) Twenty five hundred miles.
15. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
2. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
3. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
4. How many days has it been since Pollard and Hendricks have lost sight of Chase's boat in the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)