|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
2. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
3. What year is it when Chapter 12 begins?
4. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
(a) In their boats.
(b) In the forest.
(c) On the beach.
(d) On rocks.
5. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He thinks that it is a good idea.
(b) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
(c) He refuses to listen to it.
(d) He threatens the person that suggests it.
6. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) January 29.
(b) February 2.
(c) February 1.
(d) January 28.
7. When do Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson arrive in Nantucket?
(a) July 11.
(b) June 11.
(c) April 11.
(d) May 11.
8. What has the boarding house that Nickerson owned become in modern times?
(a) An office building.
(b) A shopping mall.
(c) A parking garage.
(d) A hotel.
9. How much money does each member of the Constellation give to the recovery of Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence?
(a) One dollar and fifty cents.
(b) Two dollars and fifty cents.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Two dollars.
10. Which ship's captain makes arrangements to rescue the remaining Essex members on Henderson Island?
(b) Two Brothers.
11. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Build miniature fans in the boat.
(b) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
(c) Drink more water.
(d) Hang over the edge of the boat.
12. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Nine miles.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Five miles.
(d) Three miles.
13. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
14. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
(a) He begins collecting nuts and berries.
(b) He writes a letter to his wife.
(c) He begins collecting rocks.
(d) He writes a letter to the captain of another ship.
15. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
(a) Twenty gallons.
(b) Ten liters.
(c) Ten gallons.
(d) Twenty liters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the arrival of Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson in Nantucket unexpected in Chapter 13?
2. Which one of the following is not included in the museum's exhibit of the Essex?
3. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
4. When does Pollard avert potential disaster after crashing into the French Frigate Shoals?
5. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)