|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
(a) Only a log line and a compass.
(b) Latitude, a log line, and a compass.
(c) Only latitude and a compass.
(d) Only latitude and a log line.
2. Which ship's captain makes arrangements to rescue the remaining Essex members on Henderson Island?
(b) Two Brothers.
3. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
(a) Seven a.m.
(b) Eight p.m.
(c) Eight a.m.
(d) Seven p.m.
4. What happens to Chase before he dies?
(a) He reconnects with Pollard.
(b) He moves from Nantucket.
(c) He cannot remember the Essex.
(d) He is declared insane.
5. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
6. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
(a) It might be deserted.
(b) It might not have food.
(c) It might not have water.
(d) It might be inhabited.
7. On January 26, how many men are in Chase's boat?
8. What has the boarding house that Nickerson owned become in modern times?
(a) A shopping mall.
(b) A parking garage.
(c) A hotel.
(d) An office building.
9. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
(a) They return to the last place they saw Pollard.
(b) They call out.
(c) They shoot flares.
(d) They retrace the route that Pollard was on.
10. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
(b) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(c) He refuses to listen to it.
(d) He thinks that it is a good idea.
11. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two days.
12. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 13, where is the whale ship from that Chase later sails with?
(d) New Bedford.
13. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
(d) Los Rios.
14. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
(a) On rocks.
(b) In the forest.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In their boats.
15. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 17.
(b) December 16.
(c) December 18.
(d) December 19.
Short Answer Questions
1. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
2. When does Cole die?
3. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
4. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
5. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)