|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days has it been since Pollard and Hendricks have lost sight of Chase's boat in the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
3. Why is it difficult for the Surry to land on Henderson Island during the rescue of the men?
(a) The boat is too damaged.
(b) The coral is too dangerous.
(c) The rain is too heavy.
(d) The wind is too strong.
4. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
5. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
(a) Fifteen hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) One thousand.
(d) More than fifteen hundred.
6. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He thinks that it is a good idea.
(b) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(c) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
(d) He refuses to listen to it.
7. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
(d) Two Brothers.
8. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
9. After realizing they are too far south to reach Easter Island, how far away is the next group of islands?
(a) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(b) Five hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
(c) Five hundred miles off the coast of Peru.
(d) Eight hundred miles off the coast of Chile.
10. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
(a) Large and round.
(b) Small and round.
(c) Large and flat.
(d) Small and flat.
11. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
12. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
(a) To leave immediately.
(b) To settle on the island permanently.
(c) To settle on the island for a few days.
(d) To settle on the island for a few weeks.
13. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) At night.
(b) In the morning.
(c) In the late afternoon.
(d) In the afternoon.
14. What happens to Chase before he dies?
(a) He moves from Nantucket.
(b) He cannot remember the Essex.
(c) He is declared insane.
(d) He reconnects with Pollard.
15. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) A flat stone and leaves.
(b) Firewood and leaves.
(c) A flat stone and firewood.
(d) A flat stone, firewood, and leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What museum acquires the skeleton of the whale found in the Epilogue?
2. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
3. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
4. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
5. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)