|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included in the museum's exhibit of the Essex?
(a) A list of the crew.
(b) The ship's truck.
2. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
3. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
(b) Two Brothers.
4. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
5. How many people are waiting for Pollard as he returns to Nantucket on August 5?
(a) One thousand.
(b) Fifteen hundred.
(c) More than fifteen hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
6. What happens to Chase before he dies?
(a) He reconnects with Pollard.
(b) He is declared insane.
(c) He cannot remember the Essex.
(d) He moves from Nantucket.
7. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
8. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
(a) He puts an arm or leg across them as he sleeps.
(b) He sleeps with a loaded pistol.
(c) He transfers them to his chest.
(d) He threatens to decrease the portions for anyone that has too much.
9. Why is the arrival of Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson in Nantucket unexpected in Chapter 13?
(a) They are scheduled to arrive one month later.
(b) A rumor had been told that they refused to return home.
(c) The people there are not aware of their rescue.
(d) They are scheduled to arrive on a different ship.
10. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
(a) January 19.
(b) January 18.
(c) January 17.
(d) January 20.
11. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Neither birds nor crabs.
(b) Only birds.
(c) Birds and crabs.
(d) Only crabs.
12. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) Less than two hundred.
(b) At least four hundred.
(c) Less than one hundred.
(d) At least three hundred.
13. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) In the morning.
(c) In the late afternoon.
(d) At night.
14. What time of the day do the men observe the latitude of their trip in Chapter 10?
(c) Eight o'clock in the morning.
(d) Eight o'clock in the evening.
15. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
2. When does Cole die?
3. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
4. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
5. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)