|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chase put in each boat at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) A flat stone and leaves.
(b) A flat stone, firewood, and leaves.
(c) Firewood and leaves.
(d) A flat stone and firewood.
2. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
(c) Ann Alexander.
3. Which one of the following is not done when Joy dies?
(a) He is sewn up in his clothes.
(b) He is buried at sea.
(c) A stone is tied to his feet.
(d) A letter from the men is placed inside his pocket.
4. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the morning.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) In the late afternoon.
(d) At night.
5. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
6. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
(a) It is widespread.
(b) It is rarely done.
(c) It is never done.
(d) It is unknown.
7. At what Peruvian Port does Pollard meet Charles Wilkes?
8. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A shark and a whale.
(b) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
(c) A shark and porpoises.
(d) Porpoises and a whale.
9. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(b) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
(c) He thinks that it is a good idea.
(d) He refuses to listen to it.
10. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
(b) Two Brothers.
11. When do Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson arrive in Nantucket?
(a) April 11.
(b) July 11.
(c) June 11.
(d) May 11.
12. Which ship's captain makes arrangements to rescue the remaining Essex members on Henderson Island?
(b) Two Brothers.
13. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
(a) The captain's boat has more food.
(b) To die among Nantucketers.
(c) To die next to the captain.
(d) There is a doctor on the captain's boat.
14. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
(a) Two days later.
(b) The next morning.
(c) Three days later.
(d) The next afternoon.
15. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult for the men to row in Chapter 8?
2. What time is it on February 18 when Lawrence spots a sail?
3. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
4. What museum acquires the skeleton of the whale found in the Epilogue?
5. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)