|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(b) Nantucket pull through.
(c) Nantucket drag along.
(d) Nantucket speeder.
2. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
3. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Standard Times.
(b) New Bedford Mercury.
(c) New Bedford Gazette.
(d) New Bedford Community News.
4. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
5. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(b) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(c) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(d) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
6. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
7. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One week.
(b) One hour.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
8. In what year does the story take place in?
9. Which weapon does Pollard choose to keep for himself as Chapter 6 ends?
10. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
(a) More weapons.
(b) Sailors and boats.
(c) Letters from home.
(d) More food.
11. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
12. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred and fifty dollars.
13. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) August 15.
(b) July 15.
(c) July 5.
(d) August 5.
14. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(b) Livestock and weapons.
(c) Vegetables and livestock.
(d) Vegetables and weapons.
15. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They sailed past South America.
(b) They are sailing parallel to South America.
(c) They are sailing towards South America.
(d) They are very close to South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
3. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
4. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)