|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
2. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) Tail first.
(b) On its back.
(c) Head first.
(d) On its side.
3. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) September 22.
(b) September 12.
(c) October 22.
(d) October 2.
4. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over half.
(b) Almost a quarter.
(c) Almost half.
(d) Over a quarter.
5. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are amused.
(b) They are proud.
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They are angry.
6. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
(a) Two months.
(b) Four months.
(c) One month.
(d) Three months.
7. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
8. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
(a) Many other sailors have disappeared there.
(b) There are rumors that the inhabitants are cannibals.
(c) They are infested with insects.
(d) There are no supplies there.
9. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) August 5.
(b) July 5.
(c) July 15.
(d) August 15.
10. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
(a) They are spending energy repairing their boat.
(b) They are in the sun for long periods of time.
(c) They are eating saltwater-damaged bread.
(d) They have run out of the freshwater.
11. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
12. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
13. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
14. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) Old, small, and lucky.
(b) New, big, and lucky.
(c) New, small, and lucky.
(d) Old, big, and lucky.
15. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than nine.
(b) More than ten.
(c) More than eleven.
(d) Less than nine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
2. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
3. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
4. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
5. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)