|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
2. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) Something horrible is going to happen.
(b) Something unusual is going to happen.
(c) There will be good weather for the next year.
(d) There will be good weather for the next month.
3. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) September 12.
(b) October 22.
(c) September 22.
(d) October 2.
4. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They are very close to South America.
(b) They are sailing towards South America.
(c) They are sailing parallel to South America.
(d) They sailed past South America.
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(b) More chores on the ship.
(c) Less sleep time.
(d) Smaller food portions.
6. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One hour.
(b) One month.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
7. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(b) Very few.
(d) An average amount.
8. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(d) Square shaped.
9. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Only Joy.
(b) Nickerson and Joy.
(c) Only Chase.
(d) Chase and Joy.
10. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(b) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(c) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(d) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
11. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Four months.
12. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
(a) Only Chase.
(b) Chase and Joy.
(c) No one.
(d) Only Joy.
13. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Twelve hundred pounds.
(c) Twelve hundred tons.
(d) Six hundred pounds.
14. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
(b) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
(c) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(d) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
15. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
(a) They attempt to stab the whale.
(b) They attempt to punch the whale.
(c) They jump overboard.
(d) They throw their provisions overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
2. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
3. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
4. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
5. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)