|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
2. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) On its side.
(b) On its back.
(c) Head first.
(d) Tail first.
3. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) One to two months.
(b) Two to three years.
(c) One to two years.
(d) Six months to a year.
4. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
(a) Forty- two miles.
(b) Forty- three miles.
(c) Twenty- four miles.
(d) Thirty- four miles.
5. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) October 2.
(b) September 12.
(c) October 22.
(d) September 22.
6. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than ten.
(b) More than eleven.
(c) More than nine.
(d) Less than nine.
7. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) The Cruel Sea.
(d) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
8. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
(a) Because of the uncertainty of how to get back to them.
(b) Because of the waves around the islands.
(c) Because of the distance.
(d) Because of the wind direction.
9. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
(a) They are eating saltwater-damaged bread.
(b) They are spending energy repairing their boat.
(c) They are in the sun for long periods of time.
(d) They have run out of the freshwater.
10. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
11. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Eight slices of cheese.
(b) Six slices of cheese.
(c) Six slices of bread.
(d) Eight slices of bread.
12. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
13. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
(a) Four nights.
(b) One night.
(c) Three nights.
(d) Two nights.
14. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Eight hundred and forty miles.
(b) Two thousand and one hundred miles.
(c) One thousand one hundred miles.
(d) Fourteen hundred and eighty miles.
15. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) A fire.
(b) The men on the ship.
(c) The bones on the ship.
(d) A flag.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
3. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
4. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
5. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)