|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
(a) Forty- two miles.
(b) Twenty- four miles.
(c) Thirty- four miles.
(d) Forty- three miles.
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are proud.
(d) They are angry.
3. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Smaller food portions.
(b) Less sleep time.
(c) More chores on the ship.
(d) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
4. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It sits on top of the water.
(b) It swims away.
(c) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
(d) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
5. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is impressed.
(b) He is inspired.
(c) He is surprised.
(d) He is confused.
6. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than ten.
(b) More than eleven.
(c) More than nine.
(d) Less than nine.
7. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) Over two thousand.
(c) Less than five hundred.
(d) Over a thousand.
8. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, small, and lucky.
(b) Old, small, and lucky.
(c) New, big, and lucky.
(d) Old, big, and lucky.
9. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
(a) Humpback whale.
(b) Sperm whale.
(c) Blue whale.
(d) Killer whale.
10. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
11. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
(a) They put covers on the tops of the boats.
(b) They build bigger sails for the boats.
(c) They put weights on each end of the boats to minimize their movement.
(d) They build up the sides of each boat.
12. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over half.
(b) Over a quarter.
(c) Almost half.
(d) Almost a quarter.
13. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
14. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Five days.
15. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
2. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
3. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
4. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
5. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)