|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Two thousand and one hundred miles.
(b) Fourteen hundred and eighty miles.
(c) Eight hundred and forty miles.
(d) One thousand one hundred miles.
2. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Mercury.
(b) New Bedford Standard Times.
(c) New Bedford Community News.
(d) New Bedford Gazette.
3. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
4. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
(a) One night.
(b) Three nights.
(c) Two nights.
(d) Four nights.
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) More chores on the ship.
(b) Smaller food portions.
(c) Less sleep time.
(d) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
6. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Eighteen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
7. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Fifty tons.
(b) Eighty tons.
(c) Seventy tons.
(d) Sixty tons.
8. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
(a) They jump overboard.
(b) They attempt to stab the whale.
(c) They throw their provisions overboard.
(d) They attempt to punch the whale.
9. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) A half pint.
(b) A quarter pint.
(c) A pint.
(d) Three-quarters of a pint.
10. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Four months.
(d) Five months.
11. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) October 2.
(b) October 22.
(c) September 22.
(d) September 12.
12. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
(a) Twenty- four miles.
(b) Forty- two miles.
(c) Forty- three miles.
(d) Thirty- four miles.
13. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
14. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
(a) Blue whale.
(b) Killer whale.
(c) Humpback whale.
(d) Sperm whale.
15. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Six thousand people.
(b) Five thousand people.
(c) Eight thousand people.
(d) Seven thousand people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
2. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
3. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
4. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
5. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)