|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) Three-quarters of a pint.
(b) A half pint.
(c) A quarter pint.
(d) A pint.
2. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(b) There are no weapons nearby.
(c) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
(d) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
3. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Culpepper Island.
(b) Barrington Island.
(c) Hood Island.
(d) Tower Island.
4. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
5. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Standard Times.
(b) New Bedford Community News.
(c) New Bedford Mercury.
(d) New Bedford Gazette.
6. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
7. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
(a) They build up the sides of each boat.
(b) They put covers on the tops of the boats.
(c) They build bigger sails for the boats.
(d) They put weights on each end of the boats to minimize their movement.
8. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They are very close to South America.
(b) They are sailing parallel to South America.
(c) They sailed past South America.
(d) They are sailing towards South America.
9. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next year.
(b) Something unusual is going to happen.
(c) There will be good weather for the next month.
(d) Something horrible is going to happen.
10. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
(a) Only Chase.
(b) Only Joy.
(c) Chase and Joy.
(d) No one.
11. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
12. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Eight thousand people.
(b) Six thousand people.
(c) Five thousand people.
(d) Seven thousand people.
13. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
(a) Two months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Three months.
(d) One month.
14. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
(a) Weaker winds.
(b) Stronger winds.
(c) Another whale.
(d) Another whale ship.
15. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
2. How much can sperm whales weigh?
3. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
5. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)