|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Twelve hundred pounds.
(b) Twelve hundred tons.
(c) Sixty tons.
(d) Six hundred pounds.
2. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) A pint.
(b) A quarter pint.
(c) A half pint.
(d) Three-quarters of a pint.
3. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
(b) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
(c) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
(d) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
4. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
(b) There are no weapons nearby.
(c) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(d) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
5. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
(b) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(c) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
(d) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
6. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(a) Square shaped.
7. Which weapon does Pollard choose to keep for himself as Chapter 6 ends?
8. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Six thousand people.
(b) Seven thousand people.
(c) Five thousand people.
(d) Eight thousand people.
9. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) Something unusual is going to happen.
(b) There will be good weather for the next year.
(c) There will be good weather for the next month.
(d) Something horrible is going to happen.
10. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
11. In what year does the story take place in?
12. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A mate and a boat steerer.
(b) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(c) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(d) A mate and oarsmen.
13. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
(a) They attempt to stab the whale.
(b) They attempt to punch the whale.
(c) They jump overboard.
(d) They throw their provisions overboard.
14. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
(a) Off the coast of Colombia.
(b) Off the coast of Uruguay.
(c) Off the coast of Argentina.
(d) Off the coast of Peru.
15. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
2. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
3. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
4. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
5. Why does Pollard choose the Society Islands as the crew's destination?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)