|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
2. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
(a) Three minutes.
(b) One minute.
(c) Less than a minute.
(d) Five minutes.
3. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
4. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) There are no weapons nearby.
(b) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(c) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
(d) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
6. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
7. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) More chores on the ship.
(b) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(c) Smaller food portions.
(d) Less sleep time.
8. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Six hundred pounds.
(b) Twelve hundred pounds.
(c) Sixty tons.
(d) Twelve hundred tons.
9. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
(a) Because of the distance.
(b) Because of the wind direction.
(c) Because of the uncertainty of how to get back to them.
(d) Because of the waves around the islands.
10. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to their rank.
(b) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(c) According to how many whales they have killed.
(d) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
11. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) An oar.
(b) A knife.
(c) A lance.
(d) A harpoon.
12. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) Three-quarters of a pint.
(b) A half pint.
(c) A quarter pint.
(d) A pint.
13. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) Very few.
(c) An average amount.
14. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
(a) They jump overboard.
(b) They attempt to punch the whale.
(c) They attempt to stab the whale.
(d) They throw their provisions overboard.
15. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
Short Answer Questions
1. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
3. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
4. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
5. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)