|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket pull through.
(b) Nantucket speeder.
(c) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(d) Nantucket drag along.
2. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
3. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) At Buenos Aires.
(b) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(c) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
(d) After Buenos Aires.
4. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) The bones on the ship.
(b) A flag.
(c) A fire.
(d) The men on the ship.
5. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
(a) More food.
(b) More weapons.
(c) Sailors and boats.
(d) Letters from home.
6. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
(a) Another whale ship.
(b) Weaker winds.
(c) Another whale.
(d) Stronger winds.
7. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) An average amount.
(c) Very few.
8. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Culpepper Island.
(b) Barrington Island.
(c) Hood Island.
(d) Tower Island.
9. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 5.
(b) July 15.
(c) August 5.
(d) August 15.
10. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
(a) One thousand miles.
(b) Twenty- two hundred miles.
(c) Twelve hundred miles.
(d) Two thousand miles.
11. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
(b) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(c) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(d) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
12. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables and weapons.
(b) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(c) Livestock and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and livestock.
13. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) Old, small, and lucky.
(b) New, big, and lucky.
(c) Old, big, and lucky.
(d) New, small, and lucky.
14. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
(a) Because of the distance.
(b) Because of the uncertainty of how to get back to them.
(c) Because of the wind direction.
(d) Because of the waves around the islands.
15. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(b) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(c) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(d) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
2. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
3. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
4. How are sailors paid?
5. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)