|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
(a) They put weights on each end of the boats to minimize their movement.
(b) They put covers on the tops of the boats.
(c) They build bigger sails for the boats.
(d) They build up the sides of each boat.
2. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
(a) Seventy- five feet long.
(b) Eighty- five feet long.
(c) Ninety- five feet long.
(d) Sixty -five feet long.
3. Whose boat had the least amount of people in it as the crew divides for its trip in Chapter 6?
(c) All of the boats had the same amount of people.
4. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) A pint.
(b) A quarter pint.
(c) A half pint.
(d) Three-quarters of a pint.
5. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
6. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
7. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) Treasure Island.
(d) The Cruel Sea.
8. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(b) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(c) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(d) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
9. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Eighteen years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Fifteen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
10. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
11. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) Over a thousand.
(c) Less than five hundred.
(d) Over two thousand.
12. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Three days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Two days.
13. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
14. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
(a) If the boat was new.
(b) If the boat was bigger.
(c) If the boat was smaller.
(d) Nothing could have helped it.
15. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Eight slices of bread.
(b) Six slices of bread.
(c) Eight slices of cheese.
(d) Six slices of cheese.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
2. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
3. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
4. In what year does the story take place in?
5. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)