|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
2. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Less than five hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Over a thousand.
(d) Over two thousand.
3. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
(a) There are rumors that the inhabitants are cannibals.
(b) Many other sailors have disappeared there.
(c) They are infested with insects.
(d) There are no supplies there.
4. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) At Buenos Aires.
(b) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(c) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
(d) After Buenos Aires.
5. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Six slices of bread.
(b) Eight slices of bread.
(c) Six slices of cheese.
(d) Eight slices of cheese.
6. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
(a) The whale drags the boat for several miles.
(b) The whale is wounded, but not killed.
(c) The whale outruns the boat.
(d) The whale emerges underneath the boat.
7. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
(a) Several weeks.
(b) Several hours.
(c) Several days.
(d) Several months.
8. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Five days.
9. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
(b) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
(c) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
(d) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
10. Why does Pollard choose the Society Islands as the crew's destination?
(a) They are safer.
(b) He has friends that live there.
(c) They are closer.
(d) He has been there before.
11. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(b) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(c) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(d) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
12. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
(a) There is no stability when cutting up the whale blubber.
(b) Loss of direction.
(c) It is difficult to lower the whale boats.
(d) It is difficult to raise the whale boats.
13. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
(a) Nine a.m.
(b) Seven a.m.
(c) Eight a.m.
(d) Six a.m.
14. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
15. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) One foot.
(b) One mile.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Ten feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
2. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
3. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
4. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)