|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the story take place in?
2. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) August 15.
(b) July 15.
(c) August 5.
(d) July 5.
3. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) One thousand one hundred miles.
(b) Eight hundred and forty miles.
(c) Two thousand and one hundred miles.
(d) Fourteen hundred and eighty miles.
4. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
5. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
6. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
7. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
8. Whose boat had the least amount of people in it as the crew divides for its trip in Chapter 6?
(c) All of the boats had the same amount of people.
9. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) Three-quarters of a pint.
(b) A pint.
(c) A half pint.
(d) A quarter pint.
10. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It sits on top of the water.
(b) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
(c) It swims away.
(d) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
11. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) Very few.
(c) An average amount.
12. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One day.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) One hour.
13. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
14. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
(a) Several days.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several hours.
15. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
(a) Humpback whale.
(b) Sperm whale.
(c) Blue whale.
(d) Killer whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
2. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
3. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
4. How much can sperm whales weigh?
5. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)