|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
(b) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(c) There are no weapons nearby.
(d) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
2. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) A quarter pint.
(b) Three-quarters of a pint.
(c) A pint.
(d) A half pint.
3. Which weapon does Pollard choose to keep for himself as Chapter 6 ends?
4. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
(a) Sailors and boats.
(b) More food.
(c) Letters from home.
(d) More weapons.
5. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) Ten feet.
(b) One foot.
(c) One mile.
(d) Ten miles.
6. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
7. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They are sailing towards South America.
(b) They are sailing parallel to South America.
(c) They are very close to South America.
(d) They sailed past South America.
8. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Nickerson and Joy.
(b) Chase and Joy.
(c) Only Chase.
(d) Only Joy.
9. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than ten.
(b) Less than nine.
(c) More than eleven.
(d) More than nine.
10. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Twenty- eight years old.
(b) Thirty- four years old.
(c) Twenty- four years old.
(d) Thirty- eight years old.
11. Why does Pollard choose the Society Islands as the crew's destination?
(a) He has friends that live there.
(b) They are safer.
(c) They are closer.
(d) He has been there before.
12. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred and fifty dollars.
13. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
(a) They put weights on each end of the boats to minimize their movement.
(b) They build up the sides of each boat.
(c) They build bigger sails for the boats.
(d) They put covers on the tops of the boats.
14. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Two thousand and one hundred miles.
(b) Eight hundred and forty miles.
(c) One thousand one hundred miles.
(d) Fourteen hundred and eighty miles.
15. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(b) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(c) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(d) The whale's tail hits the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
2. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
3. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
4. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
5. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)