|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Standard Times.
(b) New Bedford Community News.
(c) New Bedford Mercury.
(d) New Bedford Gazette.
2. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It sits on top of the water.
(b) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
(c) It swims away.
(d) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
3. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
4. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Eighteen years old.
5. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Twelve hundred pounds.
(c) Twelve hundred tons.
(d) Six hundred pounds.
6. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Eight slices of cheese.
(b) Six slices of bread.
(c) Six slices of cheese.
(d) Eight slices of bread.
7. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
8. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
9. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
(a) Twelve hundred miles.
(b) Two thousand miles.
(c) Twenty- two hundred miles.
(d) One thousand miles.
10. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He is told by a messenger.
(b) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(c) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
(d) He receives a letter.
11. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
(a) Less than a minute.
(b) Three minutes.
(c) One minute.
(d) Five minutes.
12. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
13. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Almost a quarter.
(b) Over half.
(c) Almost half.
(d) Over a quarter.
14. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(b) Livestock and weapons.
(c) Vegetables and livestock.
(d) Vegetables and weapons.
15. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
(b) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(c) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
(d) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
2. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
3. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
4. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
5. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)