|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
2. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
3. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
(a) One minute.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) Three minutes.
(d) Less than a minute.
4. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
5. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
(a) Sperm whale.
(b) Killer whale.
(c) Humpback whale.
(d) Blue whale.
6. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
7. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
8. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(b) He is a novice.
(c) This is his third whaling trip.
(d) He has over ten years of experience.
9. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
(b) It swims away.
(c) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
(d) It sits on top of the water.
10. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
11. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
(a) Because of the wind direction.
(b) Because of the uncertainty of how to get back to them.
(c) Because of the distance.
(d) Because of the waves around the islands.
12. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Hood Island.
(b) Culpepper Island.
(c) Tower Island.
(d) Barrington Island.
13. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 15.
(b) August 15.
(c) July 5.
(d) August 5.
14. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Thirty- four years old.
(b) Twenty- four years old.
(c) Twenty- eight years old.
(d) Thirty- eight years old.
15. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
(a) Twelve hundred miles.
(b) Twenty- two hundred miles.
(c) One thousand miles.
(d) Two thousand miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
2. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
3. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
4. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
5. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)