|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
(b) There are no weapons nearby.
(c) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
(d) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
2. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
3. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Twenty- eight years old.
(b) Thirty- eight years old.
(c) Thirty- four years old.
(d) Twenty- four years old.
4. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) Less than a minute.
(c) One minute.
(d) Three minutes.
5. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
6. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) He is a novice.
(b) This is his third whaling trip.
(c) He has over ten years of experience.
(d) This is his fourth whaling trip.
7. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(c) Square shaped.
8. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket pull through.
(b) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(c) Nantucket speeder.
(d) Nantucket drag along.
9. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Five thousand people.
(b) Seven thousand people.
(c) Six thousand people.
(d) Eight thousand people.
10. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They are proud.
11. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(b) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
(c) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
(d) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
12. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Livestock and weapons.
(b) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(c) Vegetables and livestock.
(d) Vegetables and weapons.
13. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(b) According to how many whales they have killed.
(c) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(d) According to their rank.
14. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
15. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) A half pint.
(b) Three-quarters of a pint.
(c) A quarter pint.
(d) A pint.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
2. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
3. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
4. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
5. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)