|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Over a thousand.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Less than five hundred.
(d) Over two thousand.
2. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) The Cruel Sea.
(d) Moby Dick.
3. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
(a) Another whale.
(b) Another whale ship.
(c) Stronger winds.
(d) Weaker winds.
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
5. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Eight thousand people.
(b) Seven thousand people.
(c) Five thousand people.
(d) Six thousand people.
6. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
7. Why does Pollard choose the Society Islands as the crew's destination?
(a) They are closer.
(b) He has friends that live there.
(c) He has been there before.
(d) They are safer.
8. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He is told by a messenger.
(b) He receives a letter.
(c) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(d) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
9. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Less sleep time.
(b) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(c) Smaller food portions.
(d) More chores on the ship.
10. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Hood Island.
(b) Barrington Island.
(c) Culpepper Island.
(d) Tower Island.
11. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) A quarter pint.
(b) A half pint.
(c) A pint.
(d) Three-quarters of a pint.
12. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
13. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Fifty tons.
(b) Eighty tons.
(c) Seventy tons.
(d) Sixty tons.
14. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(b) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(c) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(d) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
15. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) The men on the ship.
(b) A flag.
(c) The bones on the ship.
(d) A fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
2. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
3. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
4. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
5. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)