Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are proud.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They are angry.
3. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
(a) There are no supplies there.
(b) They are infested with insects.
(c) There are rumors that the inhabitants are cannibals.
(d) Many other sailors have disappeared there.
4. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is surprised.
(c) He is inspired.
(d) He is impressed.
5. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
(a) Two thousand miles.
(b) Twelve hundred miles.
(c) Twenty- two hundred miles.
(d) One thousand miles.
6. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, small, and lucky.
(b) Old, small, and lucky.
(c) New, big, and lucky.
(d) Old, big, and lucky.
7. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One hour.
(b) One day.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
8. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
9. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Four months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two months.
10. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Seventy tons.
(c) Eighty tons.
(d) Fifty tons.
11. In what year does the story take place in?
12. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(b) An average amount.
(d) Very few.
13. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket drag along.
(b) Nantucket pull through.
(c) Nantucket speeder.
(d) Nantucket sleigh ride.
14. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
15. Why does Pollard choose the Society Islands as the crew's destination?
(a) They are closer.
(b) He has friends that live there.
(c) They are safer.
(d) He has been there before.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much can sperm whales weigh?
2. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
3. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
4. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
5. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)