|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
(b) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(c) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
(d) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
2. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
3. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
(a) Killer whale.
(b) Sperm whale.
(c) Humpback whale.
(d) Blue whale.
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
(a) It is difficult to raise the whale boats.
(b) Loss of direction.
(c) There is no stability when cutting up the whale blubber.
(d) It is difficult to lower the whale boats.
5. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(b) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(c) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(d) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
6. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, small, and lucky.
(b) Old, big, and lucky.
(c) New, big, and lucky.
(d) Old, small, and lucky.
7. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
8. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Only Chase.
(b) Nickerson and Joy.
(c) Only Joy.
(d) Chase and Joy.
9. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
10. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) One mile.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) Ten feet.
(d) One foot.
11. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
12. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
(b) At Buenos Aires.
(c) After Buenos Aires.
(d) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
13. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
14. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
15. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables and livestock.
(b) Vegetables and weapons.
(c) Livestock and weapons.
(d) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
2. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
3. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
4. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
5. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)