|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
2. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over a quarter.
(b) Over half.
(c) Almost half.
(d) Almost a quarter.
3. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables and livestock.
(b) Livestock and weapons.
(c) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and weapons.
4. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Sixteen years old.
(c) Fourteen years old.
(d) Eighteen years old.
5. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
(a) They throw their provisions overboard.
(b) They jump overboard.
(c) They attempt to punch the whale.
(d) They attempt to stab the whale.
6. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) He is a novice.
(b) He has over ten years of experience.
(c) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(d) This is his third whaling trip.
7. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
(a) Chase and Joy.
(b) Only Joy.
(c) No one.
(d) Only Chase.
8. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) A pint.
(b) A half pint.
(c) A quarter pint.
(d) Three-quarters of a pint.
9. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Twenty- four years old.
(b) Thirty- eight years old.
(c) Thirty- four years old.
(d) Twenty- eight years old.
10. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
11. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
(a) More weapons.
(b) Sailors and boats.
(c) More food.
(d) Letters from home.
12. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) Old, small, and lucky.
(b) New, big, and lucky.
(c) Old, big, and lucky.
(d) New, small, and lucky.
13. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They are sailing towards South America.
(b) They are sailing parallel to South America.
(c) They sailed past South America.
(d) They are very close to South America.
14. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
15. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
2. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
3. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
4. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
5. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)