Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) The men on the ship.
(b) A fire.
(c) The bones on the ship.
(d) A flag.
2. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) September 22.
(b) September 12.
(c) October 22.
(d) October 2.
3. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to their rank.
(b) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(c) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(d) According to how many whales they have killed.
4. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
(b) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
(c) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(d) There are no weapons nearby.
5. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Barrington Island.
(b) Hood Island.
(c) Tower Island.
(d) Culpepper Island.
6. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(b) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(c) A mate and oarsmen.
(d) A mate and a boat steerer.
7. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) A lance.
(b) A harpoon.
(c) A knife.
(d) An oar.
8. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
9. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
(a) Only Joy.
(b) No one.
(c) Chase and Joy.
(d) Only Chase.
10. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Three months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Four months.
11. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
12. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
13. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) Ten feet.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) One mile.
(d) One foot.
14. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Six hundred pounds.
(b) Twelve hundred tons.
(c) Sixty tons.
(d) Twelve hundred pounds.
15. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
(a) One thousand miles.
(b) Twelve hundred miles.
(c) Two thousand miles.
(d) Twenty- two hundred miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
2. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
3. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
4. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
5. In what year does the story take place in?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)