|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
3. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
(a) No one.
(b) Only Joy.
(c) Chase and Joy.
(d) Only Chase.
4. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(b) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
(c) There are no weapons nearby.
(d) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
6. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
(a) Off the coast of Peru.
(b) Off the coast of Argentina.
(c) Off the coast of Colombia.
(d) Off the coast of Uruguay.
7. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) One mile.
(b) Ten feet.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) One foot.
8. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(b) Less sleep time.
(c) More chores on the ship.
(d) Smaller food portions.
9. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Eight thousand people.
(b) Six thousand people.
(c) Five thousand people.
(d) Seven thousand people.
10. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(b) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
(c) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(d) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
11. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) One hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
12. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Seventy tons.
(c) Eighty tons.
(d) Fifty tons.
13. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 5.
(b) July 15.
(c) August 5.
(d) August 15.
14. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
15. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to their rank.
(b) According to how many whales they have killed.
(c) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(d) According to their time at sea for each trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
2. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
3. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
4. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
5. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)