|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(b) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(c) According to their rank.
(d) According to how many whales they have killed.
2. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(b) Vegetables and livestock.
(c) Livestock and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and weapons.
3. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Twelve hundred tons.
(c) Twelve hundred pounds.
(d) Six hundred pounds.
4. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(b) Less sleep time.
(c) More chores on the ship.
(d) Smaller food portions.
5. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Eight hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
2. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
3. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
4. What time of the day do the men observe the latitude of their trip in Chapter 10?
5. What year is it when Chapter 12 begins?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)