|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
(a) It catches fire.
(b) It runs out of provisions.
(c) It capsizes.
(d) It starts leaking.
2. Contrary to what the men think, what island are they actually on in Chapter 9?
(a) Pitcairn Island.
(b) Henderson Island.
(c) Ducie Island.
(d) Oeno Island.
3. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
(a) There are rumors that the inhabitants are cannibals.
(b) Many other sailors have disappeared there.
(c) There are no supplies there.
(d) They are infested with insects.
4. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
5. On January 26, how many men are in Chase's boat?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
2. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
3. Which weapon does Pollard choose to keep for himself as Chapter 6 ends?
4. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
5. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)