|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
2. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Seventy tons.
(b) Fifty tons.
(c) Sixty tons.
(d) Eighty tons.
3. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket drag along.
(b) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(c) Nantucket pull through.
(d) Nantucket speeder.
4. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
5. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It swims away.
(b) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
(c) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
(d) It sits on top of the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
2. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
3. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
4. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
5. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)