|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
(a) Three days.
(b) Four days.
(c) One day.
(d) Two days.
3. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
(b) Two Brothers.
4. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(b) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(c) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(d) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
5. When does Pollard avert potential disaster after crashing into the French Frigate Shoals?
(a) September of 1823.
(b) February of 1823.
(c) February of 1832.
(d) September of 1832.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
2. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
3. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
4. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
5. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)