|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(b) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
(c) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
(d) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
2. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
3. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
4. What type of exhibit is given to the Essex at the museum referenced in the Epilogue?
5. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
(a) Small and flat.
(b) Large and flat.
(c) Large and round.
(d) Small and round.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
2. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
4. Which one of the following is not a whale ship that the Hero encounters on its way to Chile?
5. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)