|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is inspired.
(b) He is surprised.
(c) He is impressed.
(d) He is confused.
2. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Seventy tons.
(b) Eighty tons.
(c) Fifty tons.
(d) Sixty tons.
3. How many days after leaving the sunken Essex is Chase's boat rescued by the Indian?
(a) One hundred and nine.
(b) Eighty- nine.
(c) One hundred and nineteen.
(d) Ninety- nine.
4. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
(b) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(c) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
(d) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
5. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) One to two years.
(b) Six months to a year.
(c) Two to three years.
(d) One to two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
2. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
3. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
4. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
5. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)