|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
2. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
3. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables and weapons.
(b) Vegetables and livestock.
(c) Livestock and weapons.
(d) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
4. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) One hundred and fifty dollars.
5. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
(b) Drink more water.
(c) Build miniature fans in the boat.
(d) Hang over the edge of the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
2. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
3. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
4. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
5. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)