|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(b) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
(c) Build miniature fans in the boat.
(d) Drink more water.
2. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
(a) They are eating saltwater-damaged bread.
(b) They are in the sun for long periods of time.
(c) They have run out of the freshwater.
(d) They are spending energy repairing their boat.
3. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
(a) The whale outruns the boat.
(b) The whale is wounded, but not killed.
(c) The whale emerges underneath the boat.
(d) The whale drags the boat for several miles.
4. Which Chilean island is three hundred miles away from Chase's boat in Chapter 12?
(a) Juan Fernandez.
(b) Easter Island.
(c) Tierra del Fuego.
5. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
(a) Four months.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) Three months.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
2. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
3. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
4. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
5. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)