|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chase encounter at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A shark and porpoises.
(b) Porpoises and a whale.
(c) A shark and a whale.
(d) A shark, porpoises, and a whale.
2. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is inspired.
(c) He is impressed.
(d) He is confused.
3. Which New Bedford whaling ship is Herman Melville on when he meets Chase's son?
(a) Ann Alexander.
4. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) Two to three years.
(b) One to two years.
(c) One to two months.
(d) Six months to a year.
5. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
2. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
3. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
4. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
5. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)