|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
(a) Because of the waves around the islands.
(b) Because of the uncertainty of how to get back to them.
(c) Because of the distance.
(d) Because of the wind direction.
3. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) Less than two hundred.
(b) At least four hundred.
(c) At least three hundred.
(d) Less than one hundred.
4. What has the boarding house that Nickerson owned become in modern times?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A shopping mall.
(c) A parking garage.
(d) An office building.
5. Which weapon does Pollard choose to keep for himself as Chapter 6 ends?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
2. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
3. How much oil does Chase return with in 1836 on the Charles Carroll?
4. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
5. Which direction is Chase's boat floating in Chapter 11?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)